PDA

View Full Version : Please stop the Lidle talk

Jerry_Manuel
07-25-2002, 09:21 PM
I'm not going to attempt to defend this deal in terms of what the Sox recieved.

However, I've been seeing in a few other places where people were expecting to get Lidle for Ray. Was I the only one who noticed that he almost threw a no-hitter a week ago? Why would the A's trade away a good pitcher for Durham?

Maybe for Roberto Alomar they would, not for Ray.

Thank you.

rmusacch
07-25-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

However, I've been seeing in a few other places where people were expecting to get Lidle for Ray. Was I the only one who noticed that he almost threw a no-hitter a week ago? Why would the A's trade away a good pitcher for Durham?

Maybe for Roberto Alomar they would, not for Ray.

Thank you.

If all he could get was a ****ty minor league pitcher, plus they had to pay the A's cash, they should have held on to him until the end of the season and taken the compensation pick. Kenny Williams is a moron so we get this ****.

Jerry_Manuel
07-25-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
If all he could get was a ****ty minor league pitcher, plus they had to pay the A's cash, they should have held on to him until the end of the season and taken the compensation pick. Kenny Williams is a moron so we get this ****.

Again, there is a small chance that the whole compensation thing could we done away with.

Still don't like the deal.

rmusacch
07-25-2002, 09:44 PM

Again, there is a small chance that the whole compensation thing could we done away with.

Still don't like the deal.

What I don't understand is if four teams were supposedly interested in him, why they could not get more than a AAA setup man with an ERA over 6.

Jerry_Manuel
07-25-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
What I don't understand is if four teams were supposedly interested in him, why they could not get more than a AAA setup man with an ERA over 6.

Supposedly being the key word. I'm sure Atlanta was counted in that group, there was no way in hell we were getting Furcal for Ray.

Williams is overmatched.

Keystone Combo
07-25-2002, 09:51 PM
Williams is overmatched.

Now that's an understatement!!!!!!

Tragg
07-25-2002, 10:24 PM

However, I've been seeing in a few other places where people Why would the A's trade away a good pitcher for Durham?

Maybe because a .400 OBP man has value when you are trying to win a WS, which the As happen to have the talent to contend for. That is why.
The question is why Kenny Williams wouldn't demand a good pitcher in return.

And if he is so concerned about salary, please explain why he signed a crummy shortstop for 4.5 million and a lousy sore kneed catcher for 2.5 million.

oldcomiskey
07-25-2002, 10:32 PM
I understand that Evans offered Ibanez for Ray

Tragg
07-25-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
I understand that Evans offered Ibanez for Ray

Who's Ibanez. Does he have a OBP over .320 or an ERA below 5.5?

Jerry_Manuel
07-25-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Maybe because a .400 OBP man has value when you are trying to win a WS, which the As happen to have the talent to contend for. That is why.

The question is why Kenny Williams wouldn't demand a good pitcher in return.

And if he is so concerned about salary, please explain why he signed a crummy shortstop for 4.5 million and a lousy sore kneed catcher for 2.5 million.

Follow me on this.

Ray is worth more then we got today. The Sox had zero bargining power on this. With the picks being wiped out it's either deal him or let him walk for zero.

He didn't sign Clayton for 4.5 million, the Rangers did. Williams isn't concerned about salary, Reinsdorf is. The kids are back, the big money vets are out.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-25-2002, 10:42 PM
...With the picks being wiped out it's either deal him or let him walk for zero.

Do we have any definitive source regarding the elimination of 2002-03 compensation picks? Please post.

To my knowledge no such agreement has been made between the owners and players beyond the general concept of a worldwide draft. Compensation picks is a different subject--something the OWNERS held out for back in the 1980's.

I find it VERY HARD to believe teams losing free agents this winter would not receive compensatory sandwich picks next spring--even if a new CBA is struck right now. It's in the common interests of both owners and players to implement any new draft rules the following season, not immediately.

OTOH, I can easily imagine the Sox using the threat of losing compensation picks as yet another excuse for hurrying up to dump salary.

:reinsy
"Quick, Kenny! Think of another good reason why we dumped Ray!"

Jerry_Manuel
07-25-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Do we have any definitive source regarding the elimination of 2002-03 compensation picks? Please post.

No, I guess I'm just trying to make myself feel better about this trade.

LongDistanceFan
07-26-2002, 06:27 AM

No, I guess I'm just trying to make myself feel better about this trade.

the sox got practually nothing for ray, they already pd more than 1/2 of his salary. if the "A" wanted him, let them pay more, if not, ket him walk at the end of the season. simple.

MarkEdward
07-26-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

Who's Ibanez. Does he have a OBP over .320 or an ERA below 5.5?

Don't know if you're joking, but he's probably the 2nd best DH in the league right now. He could play a little outfield, though.

I really don't know why the Royals would want Durham, though.

oldcomiskey
07-26-2002, 07:48 PM
they dont--i got my names mixed up--it was cesar something from LA that was offered

Iguana775
07-26-2002, 07:51 PM
is adkins in some way related to someone in the organization?? the sox seem to like to trade for relatives.