PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6-29 Bears 14 Jets 7 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
06-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Nice taking them to the woodshed.

34rancher
06-29-2012, 10:38 PM
We busted the bullpen so bad they had to use Dewayne "the catch" Wise???

Wow....don't stop now boys

KnightSox
Nothing like smacking the Yankees in the back of the head to start the weekend!

Great thread title Frater!

ChiSoxGal85
To be honest, I nearly changed the channel after the first inning. I thought it was going to be one of *those* games.

Oh, waiter - I'm ready to order - sauteed crow with a side of stewed crow, please. Thank you, White Sox!

Quintana didn't have his best stuff at all - 3 walks this game, having not given up any walks in his last 3 starts, and six earned runs after giving up 6 ER total in his last 8 games, and the Yankees hit him pretty hard early in the game. But the kid battled back and pitched his heart out.

And guess what -- the Sox offense stayed HOT, first against a rookie pitcher they'd not seen before, and then for the rest of the game. Contributions from many players - AJ gets a multi-HR game. Paulie & Alexei go yard. Gordon doubles twice. Rios stays hot. Nice debut by Septimo, including a K of ARod.

Lots to be happy about in this game!!

:bliss:

OmahaSoxFan
Awesome for the bats to come alive to help out Jose in this one... it wasn't pretty - but seeing the Sox score 14 runs off the Yankees (even if they were going against a rookie starter) at Yankee Stadium is just too sweet!

I was hoping for the Sox to take one, maybe two of these games in this 4 game set - but heck - go for 3, or even better - the sweep this weekend (that would be a nice statement, even though the Yanks have a badly depleted pitching staff).

3.5 games up in the AL Central on June 29th, :bandance::bandance::bandance:!

all*star quentin
06-29-2012, 10:39 PM
I still :bandance:from yesterdays win. Keep on Winning! :)

voodoochile
06-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Oh yeah baby I love me some canned whoopass. Good thing the Sox opened one for me.

Damn that was one impressive performance. From Paulie down they simply wrecked the Yankees. 17/32 3HR, 12 R, 10 RBI and a partridge in a pear tree.

Toons lost just shortly before the Sox finished and the Kittens lost earlier. Great night to be a Sox fan. Nice job by Quintana to gut it out for 6 innings when the Yankees clearly smelled blood early.

I was only half paying attention. I didn't even realize it was Wise who pitched those final two outs. :tiphat: Mr. Wise. Well played...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6294&stc=1&d=1243656940

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

Bucky F. Dent
06-29-2012, 10:42 PM
My goodness, without Mariano at the back, it really is clear that the Yanks bullpen sucks out loud!

LongLiveFisk
06-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Not the Giants, but the Jets, huh? :tongue:

What an enjoyable game to watch. :gulp:

Crooked Number
06-29-2012, 10:45 PM
This has been quite the week! Just missed two 20 hit games in a span of days. Paulie is back, AJ and Rios continuing their all star campaigns....Missile and Gordo cranking it up. Quintana was due for a shaky outing, but still was able to give us innings which was huge. Robin cool as a cucumber.

5 ex Sox make it into this game tonight? Stewart, Wise, Nix, Swish, Jones, and if Boone pitched would have made six. The Yanks are the Florida Panthers version to the Hawks. Wise getting out Paulie and Rios was interesting.

Septimo with a good inning to boot. Don't Stop Now Boys!!!

Showtime!

34rancher
06-29-2012, 10:46 PM
My goodness, without Mariano at the back, it really is clear that the Yanks bullpen sucks out loud!

I just love that we are burning it up tonight with the noon game tomorrow. If we can rough up Kuroda early. Oh my, we could be wicked then.

johnnyg83
06-29-2012, 10:47 PM
I told my son as we were walking out to Little League game in the 102 heat and it was 4-0 ... "we'll get them tomorrow when Peavy pitches."

Thank you WhiteSox for proving me an idiot two nights in a row.

Great, fun game. Nothing better than a Friday win. I'm a weirdo? I love Friday wins. Saturday with the paper, a cup of coffee and the highlights on MLB network? That's the meaning of life, folks.

slavko
06-29-2012, 10:47 PM
A team of highly paid greats at the top and a lot of cheap filler at the bottom. What the hey, if the formula works, but not tonight. Mariano does make a difference, that's more than obvious.

I turned the game on in the top 2nd, saw the score and thought I'd give it a quick look. Three hours later, an evening well wasted!

DumpJerry
06-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Quintana didn't have his best stuff at all - 3 walks this game, having not given up any walks in his last 3 starts, and six earned runs after giving up 6 ER total in his last 8 games, and the Yankees hit him pretty hard early in the game. But the kid battled back and pitched his heart out.
On the postgame show, Melton said Quintana was playing with an upset stomach, but hung in there. The 14 runs are the most given up by the Evil Empire this season so far. It's even more sweet that it was at Yankme Stadium.

Forget Chris Sale, DeWayne Wise should be the AL Starter in the All-Star Game. His numbers are smoking!

By the way....3.5 games up and counting!

34rancher
06-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Awesome for the bats to come alive to help out Jose in this one... it wasn't pretty - but seeing the Sox score 14 runs off the Yankees (even if they were going against a rookie starter) at Yankee Stadium is just too sweet!

I was hoping for the Sox to take one, maybe two of these games in this 4 game set - but heck - go for 3, or even better - the sweep this weekend (that would be a nice statement, even though the Yanks have a badly depleted pitching staff).

3.5 games up in the AL Central on June 29th, :bandance::bandance::bandance:!

Best part of going up 3.5 is that Verlander pitched tonight. The next 4 games could be huge.

ChiSoxGal85
06-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Great, fun game. Nothing better than a Friday win. I'm a weirdo? I love Friday wins. Saturday with the paper, a cup of coffee and the highlights on MLB network? That's the meaning of life, folks.
:thumbsup:

Frater Perdurabo
06-29-2012, 10:56 PM

I feared someone would mistakenly think of the SF Giants. Besides, it feels good to sack Tebow.

Bucky F. Dent
06-29-2012, 10:57 PM
i love friday wins. Saturday with the paper, a cup of coffee and the highlights on mlb network? That's the meaning of life, folks.

+2

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-29-2012, 11:02 PM
On the postgame show, Melton said Quintana was playing with an upset stomach, but hung in there. The 14 runs are the most given up by the Evil Empire this season so far. It's even more sweet that it was at Yankme Stadium.

Forget Chris Sale, DeWayne Wise should be the AL Starter in the All-Star Game. His numbers are smoking!

By the way....3.5 games up and counting!

Is there a stomach flu going around? Youkilis left the game with the same thing.

TBGR up in no less than an hour (I finally don't have overtime for a change).

TDog
06-29-2012, 11:06 PM
An impressive win by Quintana tonight, not impressive from a standpoint of shutting down the Yankees, but impressive with gutting it out through six innings after getting off to his worst start of his major league career. I hope his failings tonight had more to pitching against the team that didn't give him his chance in front of their fans. The second and third runs in the inning seemed to signal a long night for the White Sox.

But after the Sox let Warren off the hook in the first, they, they knocked him around to hand him the worst beating of a Yankee making his debut (I believe, without looking it up) since the 2000 White Sox knocked Jake Westbrook out in the second inning, getting six runs against him as well.

The Yankees would come back and tie it so that Warren wouldn't have a loss as well as a 23-plus ERA to take away from his debut, but twice the Sox broke ties with leadoff home runs. The most impressive Yankee pitcher tonight was Dewayne Wise, who must have enjoyed retiring Alex Rios, who was claimed off waivers a couple of years ago to take his job. I didn't check to see if he was warming up in the bullpen.

Even if the White Sox didn't get 20 hits for the second time in three days, and maybe Konerko and Rios were laughing to hard at Wise on the mound to make it happen, the offense was impressive today. Pierzynski answered the four-run first with a home run and would hit another to answer the Yankees game-tying fourth-inning rally. But for me, the biggest hit was the double by Beckham with two strikes on him to bring the Sox within one and put the tying run at second with no one out. From there it was fundamental to tie the game, and I felt good about the White Sox chances.

It is especially nice to widen that division lead when the White Sox are playing in New York. A very good night.

Dibbs
06-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Dewayne Wise pitching? Luckily Ozzie didn't find out about this.

DumpJerry
06-29-2012, 11:09 PM
An impressive win by Quintana tonight, not impressive from a standpoint of shutting down the Yankees, but impressive with gutting it out through six innings after getting off to his worst start of his major league career. I hope his failings tonight had more to pitching against the team that didn't give him his chance in front of their fans. The second and third runs in the inning seemed to signal a long night for the White Sox.
He was not feeling well tonight (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2953229&postcount=14).

DumpJerry
06-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Is there a stomach flu going around? Youkilis left the game with the same thing.
Naw. They are Chicago guys eating New York pizza. That'll get you every time.

Tragg
06-29-2012, 11:11 PM
Dewayne Wise pitching? Luckily Ozzie didn't find out about this.

He probably pitches better than he hits.

I hope Septimo's parents got to see his debut. The Yanks' starter had his there.
The Yanks called their starter up from A ball. That seems odd to me.

DumpJerry
06-29-2012, 11:15 PM
So, does this mean we have to go to Rookie League for our pitching callups since we have the worst farm system since the Cardinals started the concept of a farm system so long ago?

cards press box
06-29-2012, 11:20 PM
A very fun game!

:winner

As the Hawk would say, don't stop now boys!

TDog
06-29-2012, 11:22 PM
He was not feeling well tonight (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2953229&postcount=14).

That makes his game tonight even more impressive.

Chez
06-29-2012, 11:26 PM

I'm kind of partial to wins the day/night before an off day, but Friday night wins are great too.

Viciedo, Ramirez and Beckham are a really tough bottom third of the order. Nice to see Q get a win on a night when he was less than stellar -- he deserves a few more. Looking forward to seeing Jake throw a gem tomorrow.

The Immigrant
06-29-2012, 11:29 PM

I hope Septimo's parents got to see his debut. The Yanks' starter had his there.

AAA Scranton

Tragg
06-29-2012, 11:30 PM
So, does this mean we have to go to Rookie League for our pitching callups since we have the worst farm system since the Cardinals started the concept of a farm system so long ago?

Anyone who says we have the worst "farm system" doesn't know what they're talking about. The top 15 prospects in our system may be the lowest rated in the majors. That doesn't say much about the system. A large reason for the lack of prospects is that we use the farm system.
Our "waiver claim system" is the best in baseball.

BigKlu59
06-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Naw. They are Chicago guys eating New York pizza. That'll get you every time.

Thats what I was thinking ... Maybe some bad Manhattan Clam as well..

Could only pick up the YES feed on MLB and had the Yankees song and dance team of Kay, Pinella and O'neil.. They pretty much said the pinstripes better bring the bats or this could get ugly with no SP and a suspect Bull Pen.. After this one was in the bag late Lou fessed up and lauded the hot Sox and their just as mighty line up vs the Yanks. Best part of the night was when they were calling Alexie a bag of bones and guffawing about his weight and he planted one into the bleachers..Pin drop time in the booth..

Fantastic win...Never say die win...Put 14 up on the Yanks in the Bronx yeehaw win... Life is good to be a Sox fan win....,oh and stop drinking the water in the Bronx , win...

Props to Q for hanging in there..he toughed it out against a tough team..

BK59

Tragg
06-29-2012, 11:32 PM

Anyone who says we have the worst "farm system" doesn't know what they're talking about. The top 15 prospects in our system may be the lowest rated in the majors. That doesn't say much about the weakness of the system - it says we use our system.

Brian26
06-29-2012, 11:39 PM
A team of highly paid greats at the top and a lot of cheap filler at the bottom.

DeWayne Wise, Chris Stewart, and Jayson Nix cheap filler? With Boone Logan in the bullpen? And washed up Andruw Jones? 100% correct.

Brian26
06-29-2012, 11:42 PM

Septimo's got just a touch of Dontrelle Willis in him. Cool windup and delivery.

This is neither here nor there, but Quintana's pickoff move was a balk tonight. Got a break on that one.

palehozenychicty
06-29-2012, 11:43 PM

The G-men are money in prime time. The Jets normally crash. :redneck

supportsox
06-29-2012, 11:47 PM
I think it's time to stop using words like "mediocre" to describe this team. The talent has been there, and now they are performing to their abilities. Can't think of anybody who is playing way over their heads or just being lucky. The confidence they show at the plate is something I haven't seen in years. Good at bats even when things don't work out. Pitchers are confident as well. And the front office seems to react more quickly, not just getting Youkilis, but quickly dismissing Fukudome, Stewart and Ohman when it was obvious they weren't going to help. Maybe that is a result of Ozzie being gone. He did stick with people way too long.

Anyway, good to see them rebound from the recent offensive dive.

DSpivack
06-29-2012, 11:51 PM
The G-men are money in prime time. The Jets normally crash. :redneck

In NYC Yankees fans are usually Giants fans and Jets=Mets, no?

LongLiveFisk
06-29-2012, 11:53 PM

I've always sort of been under that impression, but I am sure it's not always that cut and dry.

HomeFish
06-29-2012, 11:59 PM
When DeWayne Wise finally hangs up his cleats, he will have a lot of good stories to tell.

Tragg
06-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Septimo's got just a touch of Dontrelle Willis in him. Cool windup and delivery.

This is neither here nor there, but Quintana's pickoff move was a balk tonight. Got a break on that one.

I saw one pitch on MLB - very cool delivery.
The other guy we called up has one of those high-leg kick windups - looking forward to seeing him throw.

Viva Medias B's
06-30-2012, 12:07 AM
I've always sort of been under that impression, but I am sure it's not always that cut and dry.

The Giants used to play at the old Yankee Stadium, and the Jets used to play at Shea Stadium.

JB98
06-30-2012, 12:16 AM
It was nice to see the Sox shell a rookie pitcher. Further evidence that the Walkerball era is over.

Quintana couldn't throw the ball where he wanted to throw it, but he managed to hang in there and get a win. Good learning experience for a young pitcher. He got through six innings on a night where he had no stuff.

DumpJerry
06-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Anyone who says we have the worst "farm system" doesn't know what they're talking about. The top 15 prospects in our system may be the lowest rated in the majors. That doesn't say much about the weakness of the system - it says we use our system.
Yeah, I was poking in the ribs the people who on here who harp on and on about how crappy our farm system is.

I once posted that a prospect is like that girl you liked in high school and asked out on a date. Her response was "sure, once I break up with my boyfriend the Quarterback whom I am getting sick of." All promise and maybe, just maybe, some delivery. Look at all the teasing we gave Cub fans this week about the callup of Rizzo by talking about all the other sure-fire prospects they brought up who did not quite live up to expectations.

SoxSpeed22
06-30-2012, 12:30 AM
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS (https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS) Say this for pale hose, they don't shrivel up when playing in bronx, unlike 2 of their al central rivals. ‪#tribe‬ (https://twitter.com/search/%23tribe) ‪#twinkies (https://twitter.com/search/%23twinkies)

This was important for Jose to find a way to survive with fairly crappy stuff. Fortunately his counterpart was even lousier. The pen did a nice job keeping this one in check. It was also nice to see this lineup keep going, usually they would score early and have 0's for the rest of the game.
At the end of the day, a win's a win, I would have been pleased with two, but let's get greedy.

chisoxfanatic
06-30-2012, 12:41 AM

Well, Jay Cutler >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tim Tebow! :smile:
I only know 2 Yankee fans from New York, and both of them are Islanders/Jets/Yankee fans (although the guy jumped on the Giants' bandwagon this winter).

The Yankees look like they don't even know what hit them! They have the "deer in headlights" look. I can't believe our Sox are doing this to them. With Peavy going tomorrow and Gavin getting it together, the Yankees ought to be scared.

palehozenychicty
06-30-2012, 12:46 AM

Yes. That is the typical party line with some variances.

Yanks/Giants/Knicks vs. Jets/Mets/Nets

This is because before the Giants fled to the Meadowlands, the Y.A. Tittle and Gifford teams played in the old Stadium.

The Jets played in Shea until 1983, and had their training facilities in Long Island.

Now both teams train and play in Jersey.

hawkjt
06-30-2012, 02:19 AM
:D:What an explosion of offense by the Sox!....just wonderful.
A week ago,after the Brewer game vs Greinke, they had just finished a stretch of team-wide offensive ineptitude of epic proportions. Now, they all bust out together. They are truly a TEAM!!:scratch:

I just hope they don't all go cold at once again...please.

As for Jose, not sure about the stomach issue,but I do think that he simply never got in a rythmn, because he was working out of the stretch so much. When he goes full windup,with that hitch in his windup,he gets in a much better rythmn. Out of the stretch,his whole quirky delivery deal disappears. He has been keeping so many guys off base in the last few outings that he rarely was out of the stretch. Tonite, just never got it together in innings that they reached. Not too worried,tho.

AJ made his 1000th game as a Sox very memorable. Well done!
Alexei is having his summer heat wave...finally...nice.
Gordo popped out of his hitting 9th funk,which is great to see.
The bottom 4 guys really lead the hit parade tonite...wow.

PK said he was feeling better and Hawk said he was getting close,and boom....we got liftoff!
Now, need to have Jake go out and keep this roll going. They will hit some bombs,with that short right porch,but make them solos,and the Sox can hit some also. Do not stop now,gentlemen!

TomBradley72
06-30-2012, 07:26 AM
I think it's time to stop using words like "mediocre" to describe this team. The talent has been there, and now they are performing to their abilities. Can't think of anybody who is playing way over their heads or just being lucky. The confidence they show at the plate is something I haven't seen in years. Good at bats even when things don't work out. Pitchers are confident as well. And the front office seems to react more quickly, not just getting Youkilis, but quickly dismissing Fukudome, Stewart and Ohman when it was obvious they weren't going to help. Maybe that is a result of Ozzie being gone. He did stick with people way too long.

Anyway, good to see them rebound from the recent offensive dive.

I agree- it clearly sets a tone for the organizaion- the whole team seems more focused and with zero drama. I wonder what changed.

SCCWS
06-30-2012, 09:24 AM
I agree- it clearly sets a tone for the organizaion- the whole team seems more focused and with zero drama. I wonder what changed.

I disagree. Ozzie had Ohman in 2011 and he made 59 appearances. He already was used 32 time this season when he was cut loose. So I don't think we can blame Ozzie for staying too long w him. Kenny definitely and maybe Coop. If Ozzie was calling the shots on who stayed then Kenny is worthless and should have been sent w Ozzie.

wassagstdu
06-30-2012, 09:26 AM
DeWayne Wise should be the AL Starter in the All-Star Game. His numbers are smoking!

Once again the Sox are dominated by a soft-tossing lefty they have never faced before. His stats are tied for the best in MLB history though.

October26
06-30-2012, 10:19 AM
This has been quite the week! Just missed two 20 hit games in a span of days. Paulie is back, AJ and Rios continuing their all star campaigns....Missile and Gordo cranking it up. Quintana was due for a shaky outing, but still was able to give us innings which was huge. Robin cool as a cucumber.

5 ex Sox make it into this game tonight? Stewart, Wise, Nix, Swish, Jones, and if Boone pitched would have made six. The Yanks are the Florida Panthers version to the Hawks. Wise getting out Paulie and Rios was interesting.

Septimo with a good inning to boot. Don't Stop Now Boys!!!

Showtime!

What an enjoyable game to watch last night! I especially liked your statement about Robin being cool as a cucumber. :cool:

And I love all the positive energy around WSI right now. Keep on winning, White Sox! :bandance:

balke
06-30-2012, 10:26 AM

Yeah I was a little confused that Stone didn't say something. Hawk was even touting the move. He looked at first base - moved towards the plate to pitch - then stepped off and threw to first. I thought it was about as much as a balk as you could get.

soxinem1
06-30-2012, 12:37 PM
I was only half paying attention. I didn't even realize it was Wise who pitched those final two outs. :tiphat: Mr. Wise. Well played...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6294&stc=1&d=1243656940

:soxwin:

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

At first I thought it was Granderson. :smile:

Wise kind of reminded me of Buehrle yesterday: LHP, worked quick, threw strikes, worked the plate, hitters popped up and hit grounders to SS.

Hats off to Quintana, and hopefully this evens the score a little, as sometime you don't win when you should or win when you should lose. Stat-wise, he should have lost this game, however he should have at least two more wins with his efforts against LAD and CHC washed away.

But what balls on this kid? It was obvious the first four innings he had command, mechanical, and of course, results issues. But he hung in there, gutted it out, and even had a decent pitch count for six innings.

You think that NYY might be wondering if they made a mistake giving him up? :scratch:

#1swisher
06-30-2012, 12:58 PM
"Of all the people on that team, I wish it had been AJ that I faced. I would love to try to strike him out. It was fun. I always said that someday I hoped I would get the chance to go in and pitch. I'm just glad I was able not to walk anybody and not give up any hits."

MikeW
07-01-2012, 10:13 PM
This was my 40th White Sox vs Yankees game and it was the most runs by the Sox that I have personally seen. I started going in 1962 and most of the time the Sox lost. Got the tickets as a Father's Day present and had good seats behind 3rd base. I was in heaven for a couple of hours.