06-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Crain to the DL I'm guessing.

Chez
06-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Crain to the DL? That would be bad.

sox1970
06-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Crain to the DL? That would be bad.

I would assume the same, although sending Santiago down wouldn't surprise me.

kittle42
06-29-2012, 12:36 PM
I would assume the same, although sending Santiago down wouldn't surprise me.

But I love knowing I should be ready to catch a ball in the bleachers when he's pitching!

salty99
06-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Brian Bruney on DL

eriqjaffe
06-29-2012, 01:04 PM
That's 7 rookies on the pitching staff now.

Chez
06-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Brian Bruney on DL

Huh? I guess he must have got hurt warming up during Ohman's Last Stand on Wednesday.

DeadMoney
06-29-2012, 01:31 PM
We'll this is basically non-news. Stewart, to Bruney, to Omogrosso as RH mop-up man - OK, whatever.

Just glad it's not Crain to the DL and that RV suggesting (last night) that Crain should be good to go tonight wasn't inaccurate.

LITTLE NELL
06-29-2012, 01:42 PM
60 years of following the Sox and I can't ever remember so many guys on the DL especially the pitching staff not to mention a few other missed starts plus PK getting hit in the eye.

DeadMoney
06-29-2012, 01:50 PM
60 years of following the Sox and I can't ever remember so many guys on the DL especially the pitching staff not tp mention a few other missed starts plus PK getting hit in the eye.

Fortunately, it's not just the Sox. Look all over MLB and there's players/pitchers going down with all sorts of injuries. It's been a really strange year in MLB.

Irishsox1
06-29-2012, 02:46 PM
60 years of following the Sox and I can't ever remember so many guys on the DL especially the pitching staff not to mention a few other missed starts plus PK getting hit in the eye.

The 2001 Sox was a disaster area. Seemed like when a pitcher went on the DL they were gone for the year. Also Frank blew out his shoulder diving for a ball and was done for the year. Maybe not as many on the DL at once but when they went on the DL, they were gone for the year.

SI1020
06-29-2012, 03:39 PM
The 2001 Sox was a disaster area. Seemed like when a pitcher went on the DL they were gone for the year. Also Frank blew out his shoulder diving for a ball and was done for the year. Maybe not as many on the DL at once but when they went on the DL, they were gone for the year. They started off the year 14-29 and then rebounded to 83-79.

HomeFish
06-29-2012, 05:22 PM
They started off the year 14-29 and then rebounded to 83-79.

Jose Canseco.

WhiteSox5187
06-29-2012, 05:31 PM
The 2001 Sox was a disaster area. Seemed like when a pitcher went on the DL they were gone for the year. Also Frank blew out his shoulder diving for a ball and was done for the year. Maybe not as many on the DL at once but when they went on the DL, they were gone for the year.

I thought Frank had foot problems in 2001? Did he blow out his shoulder too?

Foulke You
06-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Yep. David Wells was hurt for a good chunk of that season if memory serves. As far as Frank Thomas, I seem to recall him hurting his arm diving for a ball down the line while playing 1B. He only played in 20 games that year. Cal Eldred also missed most of that season too.

SBSoxFan
06-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Yep. David Wells was hurt for a good chunk of that season if memory serves. As far as Frank Thomas, I seem to recall him hurting his arm diving for a ball down the line while playing 1B. He only played in 20 games that year. Cal Eldred also missed most of that season too.

And Wells threw Frank under the boss on Chicago radio suggesting Frank wasn't tough enough to play hurt. A few days later, Thomas was gone for the year.

DumpJerry
06-29-2012, 06:42 PM

I thought Frank had foot problems in 2001? Did he blow out his shoulder too?
Frank didn't blow his shoulder out. He ripped out his Tricep. Ouch.

He played with the injury for a day or two and that is when Wells accused him of being a malingerer. That's why Frank was probably the happiest guy in the Sox dugout when Iguchi went yard on Wells in Game Two of the 2005 ALDS following Graffanino's brain cramp.

voodoochile
06-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Frank didn't blow his shoulder out. He ripped out his Tricep. Ouch.

He played with the injury for a day or two and that is when Wells accused him of being a malingerer. That's why Frank was probably the happiest guy in the Sox dugout when Iguchi went yard on Wells in Game Two of the 2005 ALDS following Graffanino's brain cramp.

Yeah I was at that game. He dove awkwardly for a ball IIRC, landed on his arm, kind of sat up and then just stayed there. Then he left the game and then came Wells "diagnosis" followed by the truth.

I admit at the game I asked my buddy, do you think he's hurt or just embarrassed. He said "embarrassed". It didn't look that bad when it happened.

BearSox
06-29-2012, 11:48 PM
When I heard they called him up I immediately had to make this meme...

A. Cavatica
06-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Wow are we thin, never thought Omogrosso would sniff The Show.

But good luck to him while he's here.

doublem23
06-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Wow are we thin, never thought Omogrosso would sniff The Show.

But good luck to him while he's here.

He's really turned his career around as a reliever

Tragg
06-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Both of these guys throw upper 90s, with a lot of Ks and a lot of walks.
It's the kind of player that it's worth the risk to bring in with runners on base, but not so much to start clean innings when Ks aren't critical. I'll take them in the pen.

Santiago, in contrast, isn't like that, which is why I'm interested to see if we put him back as a starter at some point. Or maybe as the long reliever.

soxinem1
06-30-2012, 11:26 AM

His H/IP ratios are quite solid throughout his career, and his overall minor league numbers are better than Nate Jones were.

Besides, I think it's awesome when you build from within.

Bring up those home-grown players, Baby!!!! :D:

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-30-2012, 04:02 PM

Yep. I was at that game. Dove for a ball hit by Ichiro if I remember correctly.

Thome_Fan
06-30-2012, 05:21 PM
When I heard they called him up I immediately had to make this meme...

Thank you, this is my favorite meme in the world. :tongue:

soxfanreggie
06-30-2012, 10:05 PM

I was wondering what would happen after the Sox took him out of Indiana State. I watched him pitch in college, and he had some good stuff. Similar to Cotts (starter in college), he just had a better shot to hit the show as a reliever.

voodoochile
06-30-2012, 10:10 PM
His H/IP ratios are quite solid throughout his career, and his overall minor league numbers are better than Nate Jones were.

Besides, I think it's awesome when you build from within.

Bring up those home-grown players, Baby!!!! :D:

You know for all the whining about the Sox Farm system the last 3 years the players they've called up have performed more often than not.. Even Lilibridge found a new life after his most recent trip down. Maybe the system on the farm clubs actually is starting to pay dividends a bit. Even if we are short on talent if we can teach players the right way to play they will maximize what limited talent they have.

I'm no expert and this is purely anecdotal evidence but on the surface things seem to be improving.