Frater Perdurabo
06-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Nice timing!

balke
06-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Boom goes the dynamite!

aryzner
06-28-2012, 09:03 PM
I fully admit, with Axelrod going against that lineup, I didn't think the Sox would have a chance tonight.

Great way to start the series!!

ChicagoG19
06-28-2012, 09:04 PM
The Yankees sank because of the Tank! Yes! Hell Yes!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

BigHurt3515
06-28-2012, 09:05 PM
:bandance::bandance: wooohooo!!!
I love Tank!
Was afraid of Reed pitching outside to Jeter because he likes to take it the other way for home runs. Close but Reed got the job done!

Frater Perdurabo
Viciedo deserves the PTC, but Axelrod did a great job limiting the Yankees to 2 runs.

Wasn't this game supposedly the "toughest" pitching matchup for the Sox? Hopefully we can take advantage of the Yankees' depleted pitching staff this weekend.

Noneck
Sometimes its better to be lucky than good. How Sweet it is!

Madvora
That's the kind of top of the 9th I'm used to seeing the Sox go through. I can't believe we were on the other end of that.
Crazy, crazy ending!

tony1972
Viciedo is quickly becoming one of my favorite players...

ChiSoxGal85
Had kinda written this game off in the L column. I'm glad Axelrod and Tank made me feel foolish. And nice game-ending catch by Rios - shades of Brent Lillibridge in Yankee stadium last year, remember?

Nice win! :bandance:

samurai_sox
06-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Holy ****! I thought Jeter had enough of that one, thank god Rios got there in time.

:gulp::bandance:

Frater Perdurabo
06-28-2012, 09:06 PM
If anyone had luck tonight, it was Nova. The Sox hitters were hitting the ball hard all night, but right at Yankee fielders. Sometimes good overcomes luck!

:)

tony1972
06-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Come from behind wins are the best ones...

Zakath
We need a good stretch heading into the Break, and that's a helluva way to start it.

Give Axelrod a lot of credit for keeping us in this and not forcing us to go to the 'pen early.

Often, it's not how many HR's you hit, it's when you hit 'em, and there's none bigger than the ninth when you're down.

Bucky F. Dent
Gotta love the effort from Dylan!!!!!

soxnut1018
I thought we lost like ten times tonight.

beasly213
PHEW! Jeter scared the **** out of me with that last AB

Good win for the Sox. Even a split against the Yankees would be nice. Let's get at least that tomorrow!

JB98
This win is a nice surprise. The pitching matchup did not favor the Sox tonight, and it seemed like every ball the Sox hit hard was right at a Yankee fielder for the first eight innings. Then, they get the break with the blown DP in the ninth and take full advantage.

It's a little different playing New York without Mariano Rivera around, that's for sure.

For a moment, I thought Jeter was going to beat us with a cheap HR there in the ninth. Thank goodness that one landed in Alex's glove.

Given the lineup he was facing, that's about as well as Axelrod can pitch. He fared better than anyone could have anticipated.

LITTLE NELL
06-28-2012, 09:09 PM

As Bob Elson liked to say '' Fans, errors like runs and hits are all part of this great game''. We will take it.

doublem23
06-28-2012, 09:12 PM
KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Boom

Over By There
06-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Very satisfying win. :gulp:

GlassSox
06-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Axelrod gave an excellent effort tonight and it so great to see this team not give up and come from behind for the win. Very timely bomb from the Tank :bandance:

tstrike2000
06-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Shiver me timbers, the Sox with a comeback win in Yankee Stadium. That was a bomb from Tank. Addison Reed, the Billy Koch of closers.

cub killer
06-28-2012, 09:23 PM
WOOHOO!!! There's something special about this season, I'm starting to feel it already...

Just awesome. All hail Vees-yedo!!!

StillMissOzzie
06-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Axelrod pitched a great game against a potent Yankee lineup, and I got a good, long laugh at that pathetic throw into CF by the Yankee reliever (Rapada?) It's fun to be the recipient instead of the butt of plays like that.

SMO
:gulp:

johnnyg83
06-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Great to get a non-paper win. They had us in match ups and we still beat them.

Indians and Tigers won so even better that we beat a quality team and they gain no ground.

FielderJones
06-28-2012, 09:31 PM
The Yankees don't gift-wrap too many games, so it was nice to take advantage of some poor 9th inning Yankee play.

Cue Lip to give the one-run and leading/trailing late stats. :tongue:

Tragg
06-28-2012, 09:31 PM
We need a good stretch heading into the Break, and that's a helluva way to start it.

Actually, it's well underway: we've won 5 of 6

34rancher
06-28-2012, 09:35 PM
As skeptical as I've been of the team, they are battling and never giving up. Don't stop now boys....

Zakath
06-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Actually, it's well underway: we've won 5 of 6

I was referring to the 10-game stretch vs. New York, Texas, and Toronto.

TDog
06-28-2012, 09:43 PM

But how about being lucky but not being good? If the White Sox were lucky that the Yankees made an error to bring up the go-ahead run, the Yankees weren't good when they didn't use it to shut down the White Sox. Calling tonight's White Sox win lucky isn't really fair to the effort, with Axelrod coming up with his best major league career start -- in Yankee Stadium (he gave up 2 runs in 6 innings against the Tigers last September). Certainly, if luck was a factor in the White Sox not scoring with runners on first and third with none out in the fourth, it didn't fall on the side of the White Sox.

This could have been a frustrating game. Axelrod pitched so well. But then with a 1-0 lead, he gave up 3 hits after retiring the first 2 hitters to surrender the lead. And the eighth inning home run after he left seemed to seal the deal. And then there was Boone Logan and Chris Stewart and Dewayne Wise in Yankee pinstripes doing their job against the White Sox. But when the game ended tonight, it ended with the White Sox making the play in right, although not as spectacularly as Lillibridge did in a Yankee Stadium win last year.

I wouldn't call it luck because it's the nature of the baseball season, but the White Sox against the Twins didn't put a lot of stress on their bullpen, while the Yankees came into today's game after overworking their bullpen Wednesday. Maybe Girardi needed to let Nova face Dunn in the eighth with a 1-run lead if he was going to win this game, because the bullpen ended up losing it.

This was a great win against the first place team in the East, on a night when the Central rivals were beating East teams on the road with superior records, on a night when fans would concede a loss hours before the game because Axelrod is starting. But when lamenting wins that got away and ended up in the loss column, consider that this isn't the first White Sox win this year that looked like a loss through eight.

And I heard a a New York announcer last week lament that the Yankees had not won a game this year when trailing after eight.

A great win, worthy of a first-place team.

Railsplitter
Sox win, nanners dance
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Brian26
If there's a sign that this team might be something special, this was the game. There was some magic tonight with Rapada throwing that ball away and then the three run bomb by Viciedo.

Biggest moment of the game to that point though was the strike-em-out/throw-em-out on Granderson and Jeter to end the 7th. Great job by Axelrod and AJ on that one.

I thought Jeter's ball was gone. What a game. Wow.

:winner

voodoochile
06-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Well we won't pick up any ground but given the way that game was going until the first three batters of the ninth, who cares? We won't lose any ground either!

Tank you very much!

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

WhiteSox5187
06-28-2012, 09:46 PM
That might be the best win of the season.

TomBradley72
06-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Tank seems to one of those rare hitters who is both a low ball AND a high ball hitter.

Ball off De Aza's glove leads to two runs for Yanks. Pitcher's throwing error leads to 3 for the Sox thanks to Tank.

There have been some great games so far this season vs. Texas, Tampa Bay, St. Louis, Los Angeles and now the Yanks- close, well played games against the best in MLB- a fun season and a likeable mix of veterans and youth.

Brian26
06-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Cue Lip to give the one-run and leading/trailing late stats. :tongue:

I recall Lip had some choice prognostication on Axelrod when he got called up too. :tongue:

Brian26
06-28-2012, 09:52 PM
That might be the best win of the season.

I judge the importance of a win or loss by how many times I audibly yell out during the game. Tank's homer and Rios' catch in the 9th got two yells, and I don't think I've done that since Lillibridge's two catches last year in the same stadium. Awesome win.

chisoxfanatic
06-28-2012, 10:17 PM
If there's a sign that this team might be something special, this was the game. There was some magic tonight with Rapada throwing that ball away and then the three run bomb by Viciedo.

Biggest moment of the game to that point though was the strike-em-out/throw-em-out on Granderson and Jeter to end the 7th. Great job by Axelrod and AJ on that one.

I thought Jeter's ball was gone. What a game. Wow.
Agreed on ALL counts, Brian.

I thought Texiera's bomb in the bottom of the 8th was the last "nail in the coffin" and that the Sox MIGHT get 1 run back in the 9th, but it wouldn't be enough. That dugout looked really lively after Tank hit that bomb in the 9th. Games like these can really go a long way to putting a team on a major roll. I can't see a better time to get hot again than going into the All Star break.

I really appreciate how Axelrod kept the Yankee hitters at bay for all but one inning, especially with that lineup.

I suddenly feel a lot better about this series. 3-1 on this road trip so far!

DrCrawdad
06-28-2012, 10:20 PM
The fans in the LF bleachers were really giving The Tank a tough go tonight. Take that tough guys! I was originally sitting just a few rows beyond where The Tanks bomb landed. Too bad I moved. But perhaps you heard me yelling tank behind HP on the HR.

Noneck
06-28-2012, 10:30 PM
But how about being lucky but not being good? If the White Sox were lucky that the Yankees made an error to bring up the go-ahead run, the Yankees weren't good when they didn't use it to shut down the White Sox. Calling tonight's White Sox win lucky isn't really fair to the effort, with Axelrod coming up with his best major league career start -- in Yankee Stadium (he gave up 2 runs in 6 innings against the Tigers last September). Certainly, if luck was a factor in the White Sox not scoring with runners on first and third with none out in the fourth, it didn't fall on the side of the White Sox.

This could have been a frustrating game. Axelrod pitched so well. But then with a 1-0 lead, he gave up 3 hits after retiring the first 2 hitters to surrender the lead. And the eighth inning home run after he left seemed to seal the deal. And then there was Boone Logan and Chris Stewart and Dewayne Wise in Yankee pinstripes doing their job against the White Sox. But when the game ended tonight, it ended with the White Sox making the play in right, although not as spectacularly as Lillibridge did in a Yankee Stadium win last year.

I wouldn't call it luck because it's the nature of the baseball season, but the White Sox against the Twins didn't put a lot of stress on their bullpen, while the Yankees came into today's game after overworking their bullpen Wednesday. Maybe Girardi needed to let Nova face Dunn in the eighth with a 1-run lead if he was going to win this game, because the bullpen ended up losing it.

This was a great win against the first place team in the East, on a night when the Central rivals were beating East teams on the road with superior records, on a night when fans would concede a loss hours before the game because Axelrod is starting. But when lamenting wins that got away and ended up in the loss column, consider that this isn't the first White Sox win this year that looked like a loss through eight.

And I heard a a New York announcer last week lament that the Yankees had not won a game this year when trailing after eight.

A great win, worthy of a first-place team.

Im sorry but I still feel that a major league pitcher throwing a ball into center field after getting a tap to him, that a 10 year old could field and throw, in the 9th inning with a man on first, down 2 runs and no outs is a very lucky occurrence.

slavko
06-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Tank seems to one of those rare hitters who is both a low ball AND a high ball hitter.

Ball off De Aza's glove leads to two runs for Yanks. Pitcher's throwing error leads to 3 for the Sox thanks to Tank.

There have been some great games so far this season vs. Texas, Tampa Bay, St. Louis, Los Angeles and now the Yanks- close, well played games against the best in MLB- a fun season and a likeable mix of veterans and youth.

Glad someone mentioned it. That ball had to be caught. ADA took his eye off it, I guess. Axelrod showed me something tonight. Too bad there isn't a place for him to start regularly up here. Might he wind up back in AAA when our starters heal? Yes, he's mediocre but that's better than bad.

PalehosePlanet
06-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Best win of the year in my opinion. Considering the timing, the surprise element, the circumstances, the opponent, the venue, and our bad luck all night long coming into the inning.

Honestly, I was hoping Axelrod would go 6 innings and give up 4 runs. In actuality he should have given up none because De Aza should have caught that ball in the 5th; he seemed more worried about the wall than catching the ball. Thankfully Alex thought ball first, wall second, and made the catch when my heart was in my throat in the 9th.

SoxSpeed22
06-28-2012, 10:45 PM
I changed the channel at 3-1, thank you for punishing my lack of faith Sox. Nice to steal the one we weren't supposed to win.

HomeFish
06-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Reminds me of a game from 2006 or so at Yankee Stadium when Uribe hit a game-winning home run off Mariano Rivera.

Zisk77
06-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Reminds me of a game from 2006 or so at Yankee Stadium when Uribe hit a game-winning home run off Mariano Rivera.

i think you are thinking of 2005, a triple to RC and scored on fielders choice late throw to the plate. Freddy Garcia got the win an rowand made a good catch to seal the deal.

IronFisk
06-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Mercy!

I can probably count on one hand how many times I've seen the Sox do THAT.

I'm buying a lotto ticket!

doublem23
06-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Glad someone mentioned it. That ball had to be caught. ADA took his eye off it, I guess. Axelrod showed me something tonight. Too bad there isn't a place for him to start regularly up here. Might he wind up back in AAA when our starters heal? Yes, he's mediocre but that's better than bad.

There's nothing wrong with organizational depth. Nice to see Axelrod may be dependable enough to call upon for a spot start here and there.

asindc
06-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Im sorry but I still feel that a major league pitcher throwing a ball into center field after getting a tap to him, that a 10 year old could field and throw, in the 9th inning with a man on first, down 2 runs and no outs is a very lucky occurrence.

As long as you feel it's a "very lucky occurence" when the Sox play that way, then I see your point.

Tragg
06-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Williams has done a good job for a while in getting 2 or 3 low ceiling but innings-eating quality starters into this organization very year; he keeps them at Charlotte, until needed. It makes a lot more sense than midseason "packages" for midseason mediocrities like Dempster. These guys typically don't walk many, throw strikes - they're hittable, but they pitch to the quality Sox defense, and most of the time get through their 6 innings, as Axe did tonight.

Soxman219
06-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Best win so far this season. I tuned in at the bottom of the 8th before Tex hit his HR. I left it on because I felt there's no way the Sox would give up this easy. 15 minutes later Tank hits the GW 3-HR. This could be the type of win that changes the season for the better. Forget a split, how bout a sweep?:bandance:

TDog
06-28-2012, 11:52 PM

If the White Sox had last the game the way the Yankees did tonight, no one would be calling the White Sox unlucky.

It isn't that uncommon for relief pitchers to make fielding errors, even throwing errors. They tend not to be as diligent with their PFP as starters. Such plays are most common on at plays to bases other than first, although it is more common for them to come on bunt plays. Errors by pitchers played a major role in the Tigers losing the 2006 World Series to the Cardinals. It isn't like a pop up hit the roof of a dome or a fly ball hit a bird.

Following an error with a home run to give your team the lead certainly isn't a matter of luck.

delben91
06-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Best win so far this season. I tuned in at the bottom of the 8th before Tex hit his HR. I left it on because I felt there's no way the Sox would give up this easy. 15 minutes later Tank hits the GW 3-HR. This could be the type of win that changes the season for the better. Forget a split, how bout a sweep?:bandance:

I think if I had to summarize what's different in how I feel about this year's Sox team compared to the last 3 years worth, that statement would be it.

Nellie_Fox
06-29-2012, 12:10 AM
Tank seems to one of those rare hitters who is both a low ball AND a high ball hitter.We'd better hope so, because he's damn sure going to swing at them.

Im sorry but I still feel that a major league pitcher throwing a ball into center field after getting a tap to him, that a 10 year old could field and throw, in the 9th inning with a man on first, down 2 runs and no outs is a very lucky occurrence.A lot of pitchers seem to have trouble throwing accurately from flat ground and without their regular timing and mechanics.

hawkjt
06-29-2012, 12:42 AM
When you consider just how hot the Yanks are coming into this game, winning 25 of 32, 15 of 18, and just knocking the hell outta the ball,there is no logical reason to expect Axelrod to keep them at bay like that.
Cano had hit 7 homers in his last 10 games...for gosh sakes! It would have been 8 if he got that liner up!

Tank sank the Yank!
That was about the most beautiful swing all season for him...a high finish, posing a little like a righthanded Mickey Mantle....sweetttttt!
He hit a missile earlier that was caught for a double play,so I think Tank is about to get hot again!

Nova throws hard,but his pitches seem very laser straight ,and the Sox were hitting liners all over. Alejandro was great tonite....nothing like a couple of line drive singles, a bunt single and a bomb....now that is versitility?

This is the most gratifying victory of the season for me. The Yanks are the best team in MLB, and the Sox beat them at home...nice.

I like Quintana tomorrow nite,but the Yanks can explode on anyone.
I love how Q buries those pitches inside on rightys,and handles those leftys away. On paper, this is a good matchup,with Warren a rookie making his first start....I know, Sox struggle with that,but I just think it might be different tomorrow nite. Warren is not considered a super talented prospect,and he might be in a bit of awe at Yankee stadium...altho we have a rookie out there also but nothing seems to faze Q.....lets get another!

samurai_sox
06-29-2012, 12:56 AM

Sox got swept in New York in '06.

This game is going down as one of my favorite Sox games in the Bronx,

just like that one game in 2007 when Roger Clemens gave up 8 runs to the Sox in the 2nd inning and then Garland also gave up 8 runs in the bottom half of the 2nd.

Sox ended up winning 13-9, I remember Dye hitting an absolute bomb that landed halfway up the batters eye in old Yankee Stadium.

Also from tonight's win, it was nice to give Yankee fans a small glimpse of life after Mariano Rivera, closing game won't be automatic as before.

Nellie_Fox
06-29-2012, 01:02 AM
Tank sank the Yank!
That was about the most beautiful swing all season for him...a high finish, posing a little like a righthanded Mickey Mantle....sweetttttt!Mantle was a switch hitter, so he did hit righthanded.

ZombieRob
06-29-2012, 03:31 AM
Hopefully this is the game that ignites the Sox. They fell into this slump IMO around the Astro's series topped off by Lance Lynn game.

kufram
06-29-2012, 04:46 AM
This game started at midnight for me, which is a hour earlier due Eastern time soI stayed up to watch a couple of innings. It looked like Axelrod was keeping the ball down and he looked fairly poised so I thought "maybe".

Then overnight I checked in a lot because we weren't behind by 6 and Axelrod was still there. With this team if they are behind in a low scoring game and it's getting late I feel confident that they can score. I'm not so confident when they are ahead in the same situation.

Seeing the win this morning has started the day off right!

October26
06-29-2012, 05:16 AM
The Yankees sank because of the Tank! Yes! Hell Yes!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

:thumbsup:

Viciedo put a big smile on my face with that homer last night. And I'm still smiling as I wake up this morning to go to work. What a fantastic pitching performance by Axelrod and then Dayan drops the bomb in the 9th. Oh and I loved Hawk's "Hell Yes!" call on Viciedo's homer. :D:

Awesome win! :bliss: Keep on winning, White Sox!

Chez
06-29-2012, 06:22 AM
Nice to see the gift horse trotting into our dug-out! My apologies to Dylan Axelrod for doubting his ability to hold the Yankees to under two touchdowns. He pitched very well.

Big test for Q tonight. The kid has been incredible, but the Yankee line-up will be the toughest he's faced to date.

WhiffleBall
06-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Here is the video of Rapada's error. Sox would have lost right there if he threw it correctly. Lucky for us, painful for the yankees

http://web.yesnetwork.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=22675867

TaylorStSox
06-29-2012, 09:00 AM
"Worst farm system in baseball" - 8 rookies - 1st place.

The Immigrant
06-29-2012, 09:04 AM

That reminds me - **** Keith Law.

eriqjaffe
06-29-2012, 09:05 AM
"Worst farm system in baseball" - 8 rookies - 1st place.I was all set to make a joke about Charlotte, but I just noticed that they're in first with a 6-game lead.

Soxman219
06-29-2012, 09:07 AM

Maybe the future doesn't look bad after all.

SI1020
06-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Maybe the future doesn't look bad after all. At the turn of this century the Sox were supposed to have the best or close to the best farm system. They didn't. In recent years they were supposed to have the worst or close to it and thankfully that appears not to be the case too.

MeteorsSox4367
06-29-2012, 09:14 AM
I fell asleep before Viciedo's home run. Got to hear Hawk's call this morning while watching the highlights. Got to admit I did like the added "Hell, Yes!" that was thrown in there.

And for a team to gift-wrap one for the Sox, you couldn't make a better choice than the Yankees.

hawkjt
06-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Baseball nugget: Spiegs just said that Tanks homer was the first time an opponent has hit a 3 run or grand slam homer in the 9th in Yankee stadium to come back from a 2 run or more deficit to win since a cleveland player in 1972. 40 years? Even Mariano has not been a Yank that long!

I remember 1972...the Yanks sucked that year.:D:

TomBradley72
06-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Here is the video of Rapada's error. Sox would have lost right there if he threw it correctly. Lucky for us, painful for the yankees

Don't forget to show the ball bouncing off De Aza's glove- which led to 2 runs and extended the inning. So "lucky" for the Yankees as well.

As others have said- it's like Crede's walk off double in the ALCS following the drop 3rd strike- it was a lucky break to get the error but Dayan took advantage which had nothing to do with luck.

kittle42
06-29-2012, 09:53 AM

There are some leaps of logic here, just as there would be with "Best farm system in baseball" - 8 rookies - 4th place, but that's OK.

TheOldRoman
06-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Don't forget to show the ball bouncing off De Aza's glove- which led to 2 runs and extended the inning. So "lucky" for the Yankees as well.

As others have said- it's like Crede's walk off double in the ALCS following the drop 3rd strike- it was a lucky break to get the error but Dayan took advantage which had nothing to do with luck.Yeah. The Sox sure caught a break, but plenty of innings have closed with Hawk saying, "So... the Sox catch a break, couldn't do anything with it." Dayan still had to hit the ball over the fence.

EDIT: Also, the Yankees caught a break (albeit a smaller one) when Tank's throw in the bottom of the ninth was off the mark and Konerko whiffed on it. If Tank doesn't rush the throw, the Yankees had two outs with nobody on. It wasn't an error, but it still gave the Yankees another out that inning and they couldn't do anything with it.

ElevenUp
06-29-2012, 10:14 AM

Not an easy throw for a pitcher who has to lead the shortstop to the base. He is used to throwing at a static target, not a moving one. Rapada's throw is directly to the spot where the Jeter had been, not where he was going to be.

guillensdisciple
06-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Well, that was awesome.

Viciedo needs to be moved to a production spot- his numbers deserve to be higher than that. GIve him a few years the kid will be amazing.

chisoxfanatic
06-29-2012, 10:42 AM
:thumbsup:

Viciedo put a big smile on my face with that homer last night. And I'm still smiling as I wake up this morning to go to work. What a fantastic pitching performance by Axelrod and then Dayan drops the bomb in the 9th. Oh and I loved Hawk's "Hell Yes!" call on Viciedo's homer. :D:

Awesome win! :bliss: Keep on winning, White Sox!
As did I! I love how giddy Hawk can get when good things happen to the Sox. He REALLY displays a lot of the same emotions that your typical Sox fan will have at any time during the game as well.

Hitmen77
06-29-2012, 11:21 AM
There are some leaps of logic here, just as there would be with "Best farm system in baseball" - 8 rookies - 4th place, but that's OK.

Thank you. The farm system comments are the new "Fire Greg Walker!" on this site.

PeteWard
06-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Not an easy throw for a pitcher who has to lead the shortstop to the base. He is used to throwing at a static target, not a moving one. Rapada's throw is directly to the spot where the Jeter had been, not where he was going to be.

I think throwing over the base, a static target, and not 15 feet wide of it is easy enough.

kittle42
06-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Thank you. The farm system comments are the new "Fire Greg Walker!" on this site.

I just don't understand how fans of a 162-game sport consistently can't see the bigger picture.

Hey, we have 8 rookies on the team right now and are in first! The farm system must be closer to No. 1 than No. 30!

Hey, the Sox scored 12 runs last night! Fire Greg Walker!

JB98
06-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Well, that was awesome.

Viciedo needs to be moved to a production spot- his numbers deserve to be higher than that. GIve him a few years the kid will be amazing.

I'd leave him right where he is in the batting order. His OBP is not high and he is very streaky -- like many inexperienced hitters are. I think the No. 7 spot is perfect for him. It isn't like the Sox have non-producers batting 3 through 6.

SI1020
06-29-2012, 12:33 PM
I just don't understand how fans of a 162-game sport consistently can't see the bigger picture.

Hey, we have 8 rookies on the team right now and are in first! The farm system must be closer to No. 1 than No. 30!

Hey, the Sox scored 12 runs last night! Fire Greg Walker! Maybe I missed something, but not being the worst doesn't mean it suddenly became one of the best.

kittle42
06-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Maybe I missed something, but not being the worst doesn't mean it suddenly became one of the best.

So are we just arguing they aren't 30th? Like maybe someone overlooked some adequate major league roster fillers and we should actually be 26th?

SI1020
06-29-2012, 12:45 PM
So are we just arguing they aren't 30th? Like maybe someone overlooked some adequate major league roster fillers and we should actually be 26th? I may be dense but I think that it takes some years after the fact to more accurately judge how good or bad a given farm system was. I was only contending that the Sox system was overhyped about a decade ago and it is underrated now. How underrated I wouldn't venture to say at this point.

October26
06-29-2012, 12:53 PM
As did I! I love how giddy Hawk can get when good things happen to the Sox. He REALLY displays a lot of the same emotions that your typical Sox fan will have at any time during the game as well.

:)Me too!

GABP
06-29-2012, 12:58 PM

Hey, the Sox scored 12 runs last night! Fire Greg Walker!

Exactly, not to mention most of these rookies were brought up in different farm systems, and not with the Sox.

sullythered
06-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Exactly, not to mention most of these rookies were brought up in different farm systems, and not with the Sox.

I get the importance of having organizational depth, but honestly, what the hell difference does that make? Would Paul Konerko have been a better White Sox had he been drafted by them?

BigKlu59
06-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Any WIN in the Bronx is akin to a day at the carnival satiated with corn dogs, funnel cake and arms full of Midway treasure absconded from the barkers. Nothing like watching the vaunted "pinstripes" walking down the tunnel, heads bowed.

Listen to both feeds last night. Yank announcers as usual played devils advocate concerning our beloved Palehouse. Cited they were a first place team, yet didnt feel they and the Bombers were cut from the same cloth. Stated the Sox would fade into oblivion in the Central, whilst the Yanks would stay atop their perch in the East. If ya think Hawk is a Homer, the boys at YES make him sound like a Neutral observer..:D: If it dont wear "Pinstripes" it might as well be AAA material.

Props to Axelrod. The kid had balls of steel. As has been stated earler concerning luck.. if it was Luck last night then we had the bigger horseshoe. De Aza pulls down that gapper and the Yanks dont have that 2 run inning, maybe they scratch 1 across..

As Hawk stated the Sox saw the ball well last night against Nova. Alot of shots were labled, but at somebody..

Props to the Boys for not going quietly into the night. They capitalized on a mistake by the Bombers and made them pay... Oh so sweet.

Props to Fireball Reed... Sitting down "Casey" Andruw Young looking was one for the ages..

And on to Tank.. Oh sweet Jesus did he give that sphere a ride.. That was a towering rainbow and not punched into the cheap corners but in the deep valley.. Hadnt jumped out of my chair in a long time..My bones went skyward on that one. Ya coundnt have hit a sweeter 3 in the bagger and against the Yanks in the Bronx in the 9th to come back, made me a giddy 7 year old again..( I'm sure the jaded oldtimers felt the same as I, Dontcha know)

Yes, Hawk went ape ****... The marrow from his Yankee hating bones was in full bloom in that call..

Life after Rivera can be very sobering Yanks, cant it... Welcome to the rest of the league..

Go Sox !!! Go Go Go and and beat those dastardly Yanks !!!!

BK59

GABP
06-29-2012, 01:28 PM
I get the importance of having organizational depth, but honestly, what the hell difference does that make? Would Paul Konerko have been a better White Sox had he been drafted by them?

It doesn't, but people saying "We're getting positive contributions from rookies, turns out our farm system is pretty damn good!" is incorrect.

The Immigrant
06-29-2012, 01:42 PM
It doesn't, but people saying "We're getting positive contributions from rookies, turns out our farm system is pretty damn good!" is incorrect.

That's a nice strawman you're flogging, but I don't recall anyone saying that our farm system is "pretty damn good." The original point was that our farm system is probably not the worst in baseball (or even close to it, really) given its recent contributions to the big league club.

TheOldRoman
06-29-2012, 01:43 PM
It doesn't, but people saying "We're getting positive contributions from rookies, turns out our farm system is pretty damn good!" is incorrect.False. Those players still came from our farm system. It would be incorrect to say that De Aza's success should be attributed to the Sox farm system because he spent his formative years with the Marlins and saw time on their major league roster. However, if you're going to argue that the Sox farm system shouldn't get credit for providing talent that is helping the big league club just because the players were acquired from other franchises, that's a pretty disingenuous. You could say the Sox have drafted poorly and succeeded in acquiring minor leaguers, but it would be wrong to say that the contributions from kids this year isn't a credit to the minor league teams.

Even before this season, the Sox farm system had produced the most major league players of any franchise since 2008. I don't think anybody here is fully satisfied with how the Sox have drafted, but clearly they have done something somewhat well. They may not have many superstar potential prospects in the minors (and that's a problem), but if they are able to produce players who contribute to the major league club, they are obviously not at bad as others have claimed.

delben91
06-29-2012, 01:46 PM

All true, and I'll be the first to admit that I jump on the "absolute statements/hyperbole" train as much as the next guy. That said, my impression (potentially false) of the majority opinion on this site was that we could release every single minor leaguer in the whole system tomorrow and never hear from any of them again.

Now, are there any relatively renowned prospects with future-star potential in the system? Certainly not at the higher ranks.

However, on the other end, is there absolutely no one of any value at all in the minor leagues or recently graduated to the big club? Viciedo, Sale and Reed would beg to differ. Plus there are several serviceable players in terms of Jones, Santiago, Axelrod, Jordan Danks and Escobar.

Then there's the category of minor leaguers acquired in other deals and you can add De Aza, Quintana and back to Floyd and John Danks as well.

All this is to say the minor league system is in the bottom third of MLB and likely in the bottom 3 or so systems, but that doesn't mean it has absolutely no players worth a damn either.

Like many other things on WSI, too much ends up being put out there as absolutes (BEST EVAR!!!!/FIRE EVERYONE!!!!).

slavko
06-29-2012, 01:59 PM
The game's up on Comcast On Demand if you haven't seen the game or the good parts. Enjoy.

Don't beat the "lucky" angle to death after all those "Hang Wif'em's" we saw last night. You get what you deserve, and we deserved to win.

kittle42
06-29-2012, 02:57 PM
To be fair, we can't discuss the Sox farm system in isolation. Looking at the Sox current roster and judging the farm system in relation to the 29 other teams by it is far, far from a total picture.

Most people here just follow the Sox, or follow the Sox far more than any other organization. Thus, we're really not in a place to make those kind of assertions. That's why they have experts whose job it is to evaluate all these things.

Crooked Number
06-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Didn't get to post about this one yet, just wanted to chime in (sure it was posted here already & dont have time to read through the thread): First time since '72 that the Yanks had let up more than a 2 run hr at home in the 9th. Incredible!

What a baseball game, what a treat that was....

MarySwiss
06-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Didn't get to post about this one yet, just wanted to chime in (sure it was posted here already & dont have time to read through the thread): First time since '72 that the Yanks had let up more than a 2 run hr at home in the 9th. Incredible!

What a baseball game, what a treat that was....
Seriously? That's unbelievable! :D:

SI1020
06-29-2012, 03:25 PM
That's a nice strawman you're flogging, but I don't recall anyone saying that our farm system is "pretty damn good." The original point was that our farm system is probably not the worst in baseball (or even close to it, really) given its recent contributions to the big league club. Exactly. I didn't know that view was going to be so controversial.

TomBradley72
06-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Exactly. I didn't know that view was going to be so controversial.

Definitely calls into question the quality of the "rankings"- the system has produced 2 quality rotation starters, 2-3 quality bullpen arms and some other servicable arms to round out the staff.

Plus our LF, 2nd baseman and 2 bench players in Danks & Escobar.

That's 10-11 players on the roster-that's pretty good output from a farm system.

kittle42
06-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Definitely calls into question the quality of the "rankings"- the system has produced 2 quality rotation starters, 2-3 quality bullpen arms and some other servicable arms to round out the staff.

Plus our LF, 2nd baseman and 2 bench players in Danks & Escobar.

That's 10-11 players on the roster-that's pretty good output from a farm system.

That's not the whole picture and probably a good number of other teams could say the same. Just as important is what of value is left down there, whether previously held prospects were any good, and a number of other factors.

I mean, are we ready to anoint Jose Quintana, who has had 6 starts, a quality rotation starter? We called Humber the same thing last year and maybe even *this* year.

I'm just saying, let's not all jump to conclusions because our system has produced one awesome starter, a few good (and some unproven) bullpen guys, a good/promising LF, a middling 2B, and a couple bench dudes.

Pretty much every big league team can boast the bench and bullpen.

Hitmen77
06-29-2012, 05:12 PM
That's not the whole picture and probably a good number of other teams could say the same. Just as important is what of value is left down there, whether previously held prospects were any good, and a number of other factors.

I mean, are we ready to anoint Jose Quintana, who has had 6 starts, a quality rotation starter? We called Humber the same thing last year and maybe even *this* year.

I'm just saying, let's not all jump to conclusions because our system has produced one awesome starter, a few good (and some unproven) bullpen guys, a good/promising LF, a middling 2B, and a couple bench dudes.

Pretty much every big league team can boast the bench and bullpen.

If anything, this points to one of KW's strengths over the years. He and his staff have had a decent ability to pick up players let go by other organizations. Axelrod was released by the Padres organization and signed w/ the Sox as a free agent. Quintana was a Rule V pickup. De Aza (i think) was picked up after the Marlins released him.

I'm not saying that in a way to suggest that "doesn't count" in terms of developing/acquiring talent. It just that, to me, it's not all that surprising that the Sox have had success with these kind of guys because they have a track record for that kind of success.

I don't think anyone is saying everything about the Sox organization is terrible. It's just that these "how could Axelrod have had a good outing when Sox fans keep saying our farm system is horrible" comments are a bit hyperbolic.

kittle42
06-29-2012, 05:37 PM
If anything, this points to one of KW's strengths over the years. He and his staff have had a decent ability to pick up players let go by other organizations. Axelrod was released by the Padres organization and signed w/ the Sox as a free agent. Quintana was a Rule V pickup. De Aza (i think) was picked up after the Marlins released him.

I'm not saying that in a way to suggest that "doesn't count" in terms of developing/acquiring talent. It just that, to me, it's not all that surprising that the Sox have had success with these kind of guys because they have a track record for that kind of success.

This, I very much agree with. I wish KW was as adept at his bigger moves, though I thought Rowand for Thome was excellent (and, if the pitching had just held, exactly what we needed), and of course the Lee/Pods, etc. trade worked out, but I question how strategic that one was in terms of on-field success.

kufram
06-30-2012, 06:49 AM
I gave it up at 3:00 am when we were ahead by 4 I think because I couldn't last any longer and I felt saint-like for not giving up after the first inning.

Although this weekend is a sure example of the "it 's not who you play but when you play them" adage having validity, it is still gratifying to see the players regain in New York the ground they lost in Chicago.

The "too many holes lineup" looks good when it looks good, doesn't it? It is gratifying to me because I thought at the start of the year that they could be where they are now. It was more hope than expectation of course but I just couldn't believe that Dunn and Rios forgot how to hit, I didn't think Mark Buehrle (much as I love him) was going to be a big difference maker so not irreplaceable, and I thought we had good defense. But what I liked the most was the team's demeanor right from the start and I think RV must get some credit for that. I also think the coaching staff have to get kudos for some young players making it through tough times to contribute in so many ways.

Of course, we are not a great team because we beat the Yankees twice in their park just like we were not an awful team because the Cubs beat us in ours.... but we are in a good spot right now. I never look forward to the all-star break because I don't care for the ASG very much but more importantly because it seems like we tend to come back from the all-star break flat and lose ground. That might just be a perception on my part and easily proved wrong statistically. Hopefully, not this year!

SCCWS
06-30-2012, 08:06 AM

I don't think anyone is saying everything about the Sox organization is terrible. It's just that these "how could Axelrod have had a good outing when Sox fans keep saying our farm system is horrible" comments are a bit hyperbolic.

I understand your point, but you listed a few examples of guys who have had success so far. But there is another group that has failed. Hudson has not produced. I think every organization goes through ups and downs with marginal guys on a roster. Boston fans were raving earlier in the year about Sweeney before he got hurt. He was leading the AL in doubles and hitting well over .300. Pods was leading the AL in batting after 20 games w Boston. But Boston has been running a bunch of players through their system. They have gotton production out of Aviles and Ross as starters but Nick Punto has not produced.

hawkjt
06-30-2012, 08:58 AM
I gave it up at 3:00 am when we were ahead by 4 I think because I couldn't last any longer and I felt saint-like for not giving up after the first inning.

Although this weekend is a sure example of the "it 's not who you play but when you play them" adage having validity, it is still gratifying to see the players regain in New York the ground they lost in Chicago.

The "too many holes lineup" looks good when it looks good, doesn't it? It is gratifying to me because I thought at the start of the year that they could be where they are now. It was more hope than expectation of course but I just couldn't believe that Dunn and Rios forgot how to hit, I didn't think Mark Buehrle (much as I love him) was going to be a big difference maker so not irreplaceable, and I thought we had good defense. But what I liked the most was the team's demeanor right from the start and I think RV must get some credit for that. I also think the coaching staff have to get kudos for some young players making it through tough times to contribute in so many ways.

The Yankees were the hottest team in baseball when the Sox came to town having won 5 in a row,15 of 18,and 25 of 32, so actually the Sox are playing them at the worst possible time.