PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rowand guest radio analyst Saturday, Sunday vs. NYY

doublem23
06-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Former ‪#WhiteSox‬ (https://twitter.com/search/%23WhiteSox) outfielder Aaron Rowand will serve as a guest radio analyst 4 the final 2 games of the ‪#WhiteSox‬ (https://twitter.com/search/%23WhiteSox) @Yankees (https://twitter.com/Yankees) series, 6/30-7/1.

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/218428305660063745

eriqjaffe
06-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Great, now people are going to spend years wishing he was still the color analyst.

VenturaFan23
06-28-2012, 03:24 PM
This almost makes me want to listen but jackass Farmer will still be there. Poor Aaron.

soxinem1
06-28-2012, 03:45 PM
You never know. This might be just like the time Steve Stone 'filled in' for DJ, then eventually got a six-year contract to replace him.... :D:

DumpJerry
06-28-2012, 04:09 PM
What are the odds that he'll say "I could have gotten that" at some point this weekend?

slavko
06-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Great, now people are going to spend years wishing he was still the color analyst.

:redneckMade me laugh. DJ's next stop may be a blog with a bad URL. Just kidding, I don't mind DJ.

Brian26
06-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Hold on...getting confirmation from Rowand's wife...

Rowand WILL be there.

Warriorjan
06-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Hope he's careful - he may instinctively leap out of the booth to get a foul ball.

cub killer
06-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Hope he doesn't crash into the mike.

Actually, that'd be kinda cool...

soxfanreggie
06-28-2012, 10:51 PM
I'm all for anyone replacing DJ; I'm not even sure speaking a language I can understand would matter. If fill-ins happened more often or a move was permanent, I'd be ecstatic.

chisoxfanatic
06-28-2012, 10:53 PM
I wish he would replace Stone Pony instead, because I don't listen to the games on the radio.

Noneck
06-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Is Rowand going to be in the booth with Jackson and Farmer or is one of them not going to be there?

jcw218
06-29-2012, 03:57 AM
Is Rowand going to be in the booth with Jackson and Farmer or is one of them not going to be there?

Aaron will be sitting in for Darrin Jackson who is unavailable due to family matters. Story from the White Sox found here (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120628&content_id=34096570&notebook_id=34106642&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws). It's the third bullet point in the third to first section of linked article.

DumpJerry
06-29-2012, 06:46 AM
I wish he would replace Stone Pony instead, because I don't listen to the games on the radio.
Hawk. Stone makes the broadcast listenable. He does not act like a Cub fan (i.e. every fly ball that goes more than three feet past the Infield gets numerous cries of "stretch!" while the Outfielder is camped under it twenty feet from the wall).

October26
06-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Former ‪#WhiteSox‬ (https://twitter.com/search/%23WhiteSox) outfielder Aaron Rowand will serve as a guest radio analyst 4 the final 2 games of the ‪#WhiteSox‬ (https://twitter.com/search/%23WhiteSox) @Yankees (https://twitter.com/Yankees) series, 6/30-7/1.

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/218428305660063745

Great news! I'm always glad to see/hear from any member of the 2005 White Sox. I'll be tuning in to listen. Welcome home, Aaron! (even though these are road games)

RallyBowl
06-29-2012, 08:51 AM
I'm sure it's been discussed but what exactly is DJ's contract status? It would be nice if this was an audition for better things to come.

TomBradley72
06-29-2012, 09:47 AM
i'm sure it's been discussed but what exactly is dj's contract status? It would be nice if this was an audition for better things to come.

+ 1,000,000,000,000

Chez
06-29-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm sure someone will criticize the route Rowand chooses to get to the broadcast booth.

FielderJones
06-29-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm sure someone will criticize the route Rowand chooses to get to the broadcast booth.

:thumbsup:

WhiteSox5187
06-29-2012, 05:30 PM
I know that a lot of people are pining for DJ to leave but I would really rather see the Sox replace Farmer and hire an actual play by play guy. Farmer is unbearable.

awesomefan
06-29-2012, 09:33 PM
I heard 'bout A-Row My Hero being on radio with Farmio tomorrow & Sunday. I hope I remember to tune in. Watch almost every White Sox game on TV or radio when I'm on my job driving.

I love Ed Farmer & D. J., but it will be awesome to here from A-Row again. All the posts 'bout A-Row crashin' into stuff is very funny. I hope Aaron wears BOTH his World Series Rings. So glad Juan Uribe is off disabled list so I can still see him play sometimes. Juan was my favorite player on the 2005 World Series team or anytime he played for the White Sox. I still call him Juanie My Honey. His homeruns were the BEST the way he holds his arms up at an angle like superman taking off when he hits the ball outta the park for a homer.

GO SOX!!!! I LOVE THESE GUYS!!!!

34rancher
06-29-2012, 09:42 PM
Is JR going to take the extra rowand padding out of center field to the booth?
Good luck crash

SOX LA Mikey
06-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Doesn't AR have 3 World Series Rings?
Sox, Phillies, Giants

...right place, right time

soxfanreggie
06-30-2012, 12:52 PM
After listening to Aaron, it just makes me realize more and more just how bad DJ is. He doesn't seem to know how to control his voice in different situations. Just listen to the guy when he does the intros - he's just poor. He is a GREAT guy, but he is horrible calling something on the radio. I could understand of he was just starting out, but he's been around the block.

AJ...Rowand...anybody, it doesn't matter. Just please get a better color guy.

soxfanreggie
06-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Sox, Phillies, Giants

Some of the best players don't have rings. However, think of being a last guy in the bullpen or on the bench for the Yankees in the second half of the 90s, you'd have some very nice hardware and some huge World Series share bonuses that could almost double your pay for the year.

dwitt76
06-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Sox, Phillies, Giants

Close, he left the Phillies in 07. They won in 08. But 2 is impressive.

MeteorsSox4367
06-30-2012, 01:34 PM
After listening to Aaron, it just makes me realize more and more just how bad DJ is. He doesn't seem to know how to control his voice in different situations. Just listen to the guy when he does the intros - he's just poor. He is a GREAT guy, but he is horrible calling something on the radio. I could understand of he was just starting out, but he's been around the block.

AJ...Rowand...anybody, it doesn't matter. Just please get a better color guy.

Yes, yes, a thousand stinkin' times, yes. Listened to some of the first inning and Rowand sounds pretty good. There wasn't at all one time that I wanted to punch the radio or yell out "What the bleep is he talking about?"

Having met DJ once, he is a really nice man. He's just a horsebleep announcer. If this is an audition for Rowand, I hope he does very well.

HomeFish
06-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Close, he left the Phillies in 07. They won in 08. But 2 is impressive.

That ties him with 2-time world champion Juan Uribe, who may get a third ring this year, and might even take Carlos Lee with him for the ride!

Can't imagine there would be a lot of uneaten food left in the Dodger clubhouse if both Uribe and Lee are on that team.

SI1020
06-30-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm sure someone will criticize the route Rowand chooses to get to the broadcast booth. I was going to use that line when it was first announced he would be in the booth this weekend, but I refrained. I always hated that criticism of him and the way some Sox fans like to trash players when they leave the team.

soxfanreggie
06-30-2012, 03:04 PM
I know that a lot of people are pining for DJ to leave but I would really rather see the Sox replace Farmer and hire an actual play by play guy. Farmer is unbearable.

I wouldn't be opposed to Farmer going as well. I didn't completely dislike him as the color guy, but I think I'd rather have a real play-by-play doing that job. If I had to pick one though, it would surely be to get rid of DJ - in a heartbeat!

Keep him around as an ambassador (I think he'd be great at this); make him a roving instructor if he wants...just get him out of broadcasting Sox games!

An interesting question: would you rather have AJ stay on with the Sox as a coach or broadcaster?

Noneck
06-30-2012, 03:06 PM
An interesting question: would you rather have AJ stay on with the Sox as a coach or broadcaster?

After watching Flowers lately, I want to see AJ as a player for awhile.

soxfanreggie
06-30-2012, 03:14 PM
After watching Flowers lately, I want to see AJ as a player for awhile.

I agree because he still has at least another year or two in him. He seems to love it here, and really, I don't see another team offering him a 2-year deal. He's made almost $40 million in his career, so he shouldn't be hurting for money. He could earn a few million more the next couple years, collect a decent MLB pension based on his years of service, and then add in some revenue from doing something with the Sox. I could see the Sox doing that, and if he retires after 2013, we could easily transition him to another role. He's a decent hitter, and I agree that we don't have a worthy replacement in-house as I see things right now.

Interesting sidenote about AJ, I think he just hit his 1,000th game with the Sox. He's played 67 this year, and I think that puts him at an even 1,000.

Over By There
06-30-2012, 05:33 PM
I listened to the whole game on radio today. Rowand is a little rough around the edges (way too many uhhhs and ummms) but he brought a ton more analysis, I thought, than DJ. He talked a lot about the clubhouse and specific players (it was obvious he had spent some time talking to players to prepare for the gig) and he also gave me a lot of insight today as to how hitters think at the plate. It was just somehow deeper than anything DJ says.

As an out-of-towner that does end up listening to a number of games on the radio, I'd really like the whole booth to be overhauled. Short of that, replace DJ... ideally with someone who keeps Farmer a little more focused. Seems like Farmer was a little easier to digest in the John Rooney days.

nut_stock
06-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Seems like Farmer was a little easier to digest in the John Rooney days.
I miss Rooney. He is being wasted in St. Louis. Rooney and Farmer were really good together.

Now in St. Louis it is Rooney or Shannon....meaning they don't hardly talk to each othe the way the Sox guys do I like te conversations in the booth, not just one guy describing the game.

Brian26
06-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Seems like Farmer was a little easier to digest in the John Rooney days.

Of course, because John Rooney was a professional broadcaster and a class act. You know, the type of guy you low-ball out of town because Mike North needs a raise.

Brian26
06-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Now in St. Louis it is Rooney or Shannon....meaning they don't hardly talk to each othe the way the Sox guys do I like te conversations in the booth, not just one guy describing the game.

Rooney and Farmer were rated the #1 radio broadcast team in 2005, just before he was run out of town.

Good job, Brooks. As if Mitch Rosen should have any say whatsoever in the Sox broadcast situation. :rolleyes:

Tragg
06-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Is that why Rooney left - because the Sox wouldn't pay him? He was a professional announcer - the only other one the Sox have is Stone. Dave Wills is better than the Sox announcers.

thomas35forever
07-01-2012, 12:57 AM
Listened to the pregame before switching over to the TV. Aaron sounded a lot like college radio announcers doing their first game. Kind of reminded me of myself a little bit from when I started out. If he keeps doing this, he'll improve over time. In the meantime, everyone will have to be patient with him assuming he decides to pursue it.

Madscout
07-02-2012, 11:31 PM
I listened to the whole game on radio today. Rowand is a little rough around the edges (way too many uhhhs and ummms) but he brought a ton more analysis, I thought, than DJ. He talked a lot about the clubhouse and specific players (it was obvious he had spent some time talking to players to prepare for the gig) and he also gave me a lot of insight today as to how hitters think at the plate. It was just somehow deeper than anything DJ says.

As an out-of-towner that does end up listening to a number of games on the radio, I'd really like the whole booth to be overhauled. Short of that, replace DJ... ideally with someone who keeps Farmer a little more focused. Seems like Farmer was a little easier to digest in the John Rooney days.

Word. All I thought was, "Gee, wouldn't it be great if he had more time in the booth and a decent play by play guy?"

Pull the trigger, Jerry. I'm soooo over DJ, and Farmer isn't great either.

DumpJerry
07-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Is that why Rooney left - because the Sox wouldn't pay him? He was a professional announcer - the only other one the Sox have is Stone. Dave Wills is better than the Sox announcers.
The Sox don't pay the broadcast team. They are employed by the media companies, not the White Sox.

spongyfungy
07-04-2012, 01:06 AM
I miss Rooney. He is being wasted in St. Louis. Rooney and Farmer were really good together.

I totally agree Rooney and Shannon have no chemistry together. They don't talk to each other and trade off pbp duties between innings. Ed and John were so good together and they played off each other so well.