PDA

View Full Version : The best fan experience of my life

ChiSoxGirl
06-26-2012, 10:52 PM
For all the heat Brooks Boyer and the Sox organization have taken around these parts lately, I thought I'd share something positive.

This past Saturday, I had the opportunity and privilege to meet and spend some time with Robin Ventura before the game, courtesy of Brooks. In the SoxFest thread, I referenced (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2885425&postcount=326) "some potentially good things for me personally" that could come from the one-on-one conversation I had with Brooks after his seminar.

In a nutshell, here's what happened. Back at SoxFest 1994, I took a picture of Robin Ventura when I was in line to get his autograph. I'd been trying to get that 5x7 of him signed for quite awhile, but had never been successful. After I got up and spoke my mind about SoxFest during Brooks's seminar this past January and we had our one-on-one conversation afterwards, he told me I'd get my picture signed this season. He gave me his card and asked me to e-mail him after the season began with a list of dates I'd be at the ballpark and said we'd set something up. Brooks talked to Robin ahead of time and told him about me and the photo of him I had. He graciously agreed to meet me and sign the picture before a game, which is what led to the events of Saturday.

After two months of e-mailing back and forth, it was finally decided that I'd be meeting Robin and he'd sign my picture before the game on June 23. My boyfriend & I got to the ballpark at 3:30 as asked, and Brooks met us inside at Gate 4. He took us onto the field and we were immediately greeted by the Sox photographer, who had us stand on the field (with Sox BP going on behind us) so he could take a couple pictures of us. Afterwards, we spent quite awhile sitting on the wall by the fungo circle and talking with Brooks about various things, all while watching the Sox take BP.

We'd noticed that Robin, who was standing behind the cage, was working with Beckham on something, so we waited a little while longer. Brooks went back inside for something and told us to wait there for him. By the time he'd come back out to the field, Robin had stepped away from the cage and was talking to the photographer about something. Brooks saw that as our opportunity, so he went over to Robin and pointed in our direction. Robin said, "Sure, great!" and started to make his way over to us.

Robin came over, shook my hand and told me how nice it was to meet me, then he shook my boyfriend's hand. He was extremely gracious and seemed genuinely happy to be doing this for me. As he shook my hand, I just gazed up at him, so excited to finally be meeting my childhood hero and favorite ballplayer of all-time. I managed to get out the words, "I've loved you for 23 years. You're my childhood hero and I love that you're managing the Sox." and he thanked me for that. I showed Robin the picture and he signed the photo, but not before denying it was him. "Nah, that's not me!" he said with that dry sense of humor of his! Brooks told him how I'd been to so many SoxFests and Robin asked how many. I told him I've only missed the inaugural one in 1992 and he was very impressed and thanked me for attending all of those.

My boyfriend thanked him for taking time out of BP to meet with us because he knows we've been struggling offensively, and commented that he saw Robin working with Beckham on something. In his self-deprecating manner, Robin quipped, "Eh, it's OK. Those guys don't listen to me anyway." We all got a good laugh out of that!

Prior to Robin coming over, I asked Brooks if it'd be OK if I got my picture taken with Robin and he said it'd be no problem. After the four of us chatted for awhile, I asked Robin for a picture. "Sure!" he said. Brooks asked for my camera and, standing behind home plate, my boyfriend & I took a handful of pictures with Robin and then I asked Robin for one of just me & him. He happily obliged, but not before making a joke; "Eh, if you two break up, you could just crop him out of the ones we took previously." So dry and so awesome!

With that, Robin had to go. I shook his hand and thanked him once again for making this happen. Brooks also had to go, but said we could hang out and watch BP for however long we wished. All of this made for quite a day on Saturday.

I wanted to share this story for no other reason than to show that there are great things about the Sox, despite the differing opinions of many people. Brooks didn't have to put the offer out there for me five months ago to get that picture of Robin signed, but he did. When I e-mailed him initially in April like he'd asked, he didn't have to keep following up with me, but he did.

Despite being very busy as of late, Brooks made it possible for me to have the single best fan experience of my life, and there is no possible way I could be more appreciative. I'm never, ever going to forget that experience, and the pictures we had taken with Robin on the field are among the most special of the thousands of pictures I have saved. Thank you Brooks Boyer and Robin Ventura for making this longtime Sox fan extremely happy. :smile:

doublem23
06-26-2012, 10:59 PM
:thumbsup:

Awesome

DumpJerry
06-26-2012, 11:10 PM
You realize this was a dream, don't you? After all, the White Sox don't care a lick about the fans. Just look at the ticket and parking prices!

Pretty cool day, actually. You and Jason are two people who definitely deserve what they did for you since it was done because you're fans and not people who spend tens of thousands of dollars on the team to get their attention.:D:

guillensdisciple
06-26-2012, 11:11 PM
That's great. Extremely happy for you, and that is very great of Brooks and the Sox organization.

Just because they over price tickets, does not mean they're bad human beings.

DSpivack
06-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Cool!

FielderJones
06-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Thanks for telling us about this. Nice job by Brooks and Robin.

IronFisk
06-27-2012, 12:14 AM
WAAAAAY Cool Gurl!

Scots-Sox
06-27-2012, 02:33 AM
Excellent. A class act from some classy people. What an experience for you. Well done Brooks, Robin and the Sox.

SOXfnNlansing
06-27-2012, 06:49 AM
It's nice to see that good things happen to good people for a change. The White Sox are a class act. :bandance:

Madvora
06-27-2012, 07:10 AM
Cool story. Robin looks like a high school kid in that 1994 photo.

gregoriop
06-27-2012, 07:19 AM
Man, I love Robin.

ChiSoxGal85
06-27-2012, 07:34 AM
:thumbsup:

October26
06-27-2012, 07:42 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Fantastic story - so happy for you, ChiSoxGirl! :bandance:

aryzner
06-27-2012, 07:46 AM
That is really awesome!!:D:

beasly213
06-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Great story and actually makes me like Robin even more than I already did.

soxgirl617
06-27-2012, 08:20 AM
That is all kinds of awesome!

Wow, Robin sure looks young in your picture from 1994! :D:

Bruizer
06-27-2012, 08:21 AM
:cool::thumbsup:

Harry Potter
06-27-2012, 09:25 AM
For Brooks doing something right, like they say, a blind squirrel will find a nut every now and then.

But it sounds like you had a great experience ChiSoxGirl - thanks for sharing!

DeadMoney
06-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Brooks seems like a nice enough guy. With everything that he has going on, he certainly seems to put up with our **** much more than he has to.

Rocky Soprano
06-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks for sharing such a great story.
The Sox are a classy organization and I love them even more for it.
Thumbs up to Robin and Brooks.

ChiSoxFann
06-27-2012, 10:02 AM
For as much **** as I give them about prices, tickets, etc. it's nice to hear a story like this every once in a while. I seem to recall Guillen doing things like this while he was here and it's nice the front office takes care of the true fans of this team.

voodoochile
06-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Great story, thanks for sharing. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Orta 4-6-3
06-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Thank you for sharing a great story. Very Sox-affirming!

34rancher
06-27-2012, 10:37 AM
As a lifelong Sox fan, I continue to appreciate the quality of human beings on a one-on-one interactions that the Sox have put on the field. Character counts. It's why I love players like Ozzie, Robin, Frank, Paulie, Bo, etc. No matter how they have come across in the media or on TV, they have all been gracious and respectable in person.

Congrats on the awesome experience. What a memory for a lifetime.

#1swisher
06-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks for sharing! :cool:

QueerGirrl
06-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Great story and actually makes me like Robin even more than I already did.

+1 That is super cool.

fisk4ever
06-27-2012, 01:11 PM
An excellent day, and a win, too!

Cat Thief
06-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Back in 2005, before the World Series started, I emailed Brooks a video from Fox Sports showing my friend and I first in line for Sox tickets in February of 2005. I told him we were diehards and if any tickets opened up to please consider us.

He called me at 10:30p the night before Game 1 and offered me a strip of tickets. I'll never forget it and until this day I still can't believe he took the time to read my email and watch some stupid video.

Sure I'm biased but I will always be a fan of his!

LITTLE NELL
06-27-2012, 04:52 PM
That was better was better than being on the Carnival Legend!!!

thomas35forever
06-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Robin sounds as real as they come. Hope he represents the White Sox in a great capacity for many years.

markopat
06-27-2012, 05:45 PM
I enjoyed that...made me smile!

tony1972
06-27-2012, 08:33 PM
That's a great story. I'm kind of embarassed about some of my posts criticizing the White Sox. I guess we focus on the negatives too much sometimes and should look at the positives.

shes
06-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Great story!

Robin is not my favorite player of all time (He's fourth behind Frank, Buehrle, and Paulie), but I think I actually like him the most, if that makes any sense.

voodoochile
06-27-2012, 09:23 PM
I enjoyed that...made me smile!

Anyone that story doesn't make smile is posting on the wrong forums, IMO.

Well it's okay to not smile if you are just insanely jealous...:tongue:

SI1020
06-28-2012, 08:18 AM
That's a great story. I'm kind of embarassed about some of my posts criticizing the White Sox. I guess we focus on the negatives too much sometimes and should look at the positives. With the Sox it is definitely a mixed bag. I will say that Brooks Boyer does show that he cares and is not afraid to get involved. So does the fan base, which is not like the lemmings on the other side of town. Even as a little kid I noticed that there was just more real baseball passion on the south side. Of course this is a wonderful story and I'm very happy for CSG.

skobabe8
06-28-2012, 08:51 AM
You realize this was a dream, don't you? After all, the White Sox don't care a lick about the fans. Just look at the ticket and parking prices!

Pretty cool day, actually. You and Jason are two people who definitely deserve what they did for you since it was done because you're fans and not people who spend tens of thousands of dollars on the team to get their attention.:D:

Well said, Robert. :tongue:

Awesome story Jen!

jdm2662
06-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Awesome story.

JB98
06-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Robin sounds as real as they come. Hope he represents the White Sox in a great capacity for many years.

He is exactly who you think he is. And he really does have the perfect demeanor for baseball -- not too high, not too low, consistent each day. I would imagine that's one reason he had such a good career as a player. That will serve him well as a manager also.

chaotic8512
06-28-2012, 07:38 PM
WOW. Amazing story ChiSoxGirl! So glad you had that experience! :smile:

It really shows both that good people get what they deserve AND that this an awesome organization both on and off the field! Thanks for sharing.