PDA

View Full Version : When a position player pitches, do they warm up in the bullpen?

HomeFish
06-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Why yes, I am bored today. Why do you ask?

DumpJerry
06-26-2012, 06:16 PM
I would certainly hope he would. Unless, of course, he was coming because the pitcher being replaced was injured.

WhiteSox5187
06-26-2012, 07:24 PM
When the Orioles used Chris Davis as a pitcher awhile ago I recall seeing highlights of him warming up in the Orioles bullpen out in right field at Fenway. I also remember seeing Gary Gaetti warmup in the Cubs bullpen when they were getting blown out.

TDog
06-27-2012, 12:18 AM
If a position player is already in the game playing another position, it may be impractical for him to warm up in the bullpen.

But I don't believe that has happened in a major league game since Bert Campaneris came into pitch from after playing the previous inning at first base. (It was a stunt that may have cost the A's the game as Campaneris gave up the lead in a game the A's would lose in extra innings. There was no save rule at the time, so he wasn't charged with a blown save.) I don't know if Campaneris warmed up on the side. Ken Harrelson played in that game and might remember.

I'm pretty sure Sam McDowell didn't warm up in the bullpen before moving from second base to pitch the ninth inning of an Indians game in 1970, but he was the starting pitcher and pitched 7.2 innings before moving to second where he fieled the third out of the eighth before coming out for the ninth to to get the last three outs. (There was a save rule at the time, but McDowell didn't get the save because the rule states the winning pitcher cannot also be credited with a save.) Ken Harrelson was a member of the Indians at the time, but he wasn't in the game because he was on the disabled list.

doublem23
06-27-2012, 12:52 AM
Great story. Compelling and rich.

waldo_the_wolf
06-27-2012, 12:17 PM
That one time that Jose Canseco pitched for the Rangers, he was warming up in the bullpen and supposedly that's how he got his season-ending arm injury by trying to show off to the fans.

ChiSoxFann
06-27-2012, 02:12 PM
I remember that long extra inning game against the Red Sox in 2006 just before the All-Star Game, Chris Widger was warming up in our bullpen, but the game ended before he was ever called on to pitch. He obviously wasn't in the game at the time though.

There was some player for Texas I believe who played all 9 positions in one game against us in our park not too long ago. Can't remember his name, but I'm sure he just got the normal warm-up tosses before the inning started.

Brian26
06-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Robin Ventura pitched an inning for the Dodgers in 2004 in a blowout against the Angels. Ventura moved over from third base.

soxfanreggie
06-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Looks like the Mets need to turn to Rob Johnson again. He had their only 3-up, 3-down inning of the game he threw. :D:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1106/mlb-positional-players-pitching/content.1.html

Perhaps the same should be said for the Royals throwing Mitch Maier:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1106/mlb-positional-players-pitching/content.4.html