PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting facts on left handed throwing catchers

white sox bill
06-26-2012, 11:12 AM
http://bb_catchers.tripod.com/catchers/catchleft.htm

If you probe a bit further, you see our own Mike Squires and Tom Egan listed. I've never seen a right handed catchers mitt. I liked what Spaceman said..

LITTLE NELL
06-26-2012, 12:12 PM

If you probe a bit further, you see our own Mike Squires and Tom Egan listed. I've never seen a right handed catchers mitt. I liked what Spaceman said..

The Egan that is listed is Jim Egan, Tom Egan threw righthanded besides being bigger than a house.

wilburaga
06-26-2012, 12:23 PM

That's Jim Egan of the 19th century Troy Trojans, not our Tom, who threw righty.

I'm a lefty thrower, and I know I could have played catcher. The biggest obstacles were the absence of mitts, and the tendency of baseball coaches to not think out of the box. In my next life I'd like the bases to be run in a clockwise fashion so I could play the skill positions and let the righties man the outfield and first base (and maybe catch).

pythons007
06-26-2012, 01:04 PM
What about left-handed infielders in general. Aside from 1st they are restricted to the OF.

pythons007
06-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Randy Johnson caught!!?!?! Holy hell, a 7 foot catcher!:o:

white sox bill
06-26-2012, 01:24 PM
The Egan that is listed is Jim Egan, Tom Egan threw righthanded besides being bigger than a house.
Ya know as soon as I posted that I was wondering if it was Jim or Tom Egan and I was at work and didn't have time to verify. Ooops my bad!:redface:

HomeFish
06-26-2012, 05:18 PM
That's Jim Egan of the 19th century Troy Trojans, not our Tom, who threw righty.

I'm a lefty thrower, and I know I could have played catcher. The biggest obstacles were the absence of mitts, and the tendency of baseball coaches to not think out of the box. In my next life I'd like the bases to be run in a clockwise fashion so I could play the skill positions and let the righties man the outfield and first base (and maybe catch).

If anything, the ability of any medicore left-handed reliever to earn MLB contracts until 40 or when his arm falls off makes baseball one of the sports where left-handers are most advantaged.

DumpJerry
06-26-2012, 06:22 PM
It's funny this thread was started today. Just this morning when I was in court (and away from Internet access), I was thinking about this issue, being a Southpaw.

I understand why Third, Short and Second need to be righty throwers (a lefty would be in the wrong position to get a quick throw to First), but I never understood why we can't catch. After all, when a righty is at bat, we can get a quicker snap throw to First to hold a runner.

Then I figured it out.

It's a vast right-handed conspiracy.:tongue:

white sox bill
06-26-2012, 06:30 PM
It's funny this thread was started today. Just this morning when I was in court (and away from Internet access), I was thinking about this issue, being a Southpaw.

I understand why Third, Short and Second need to be righty throwers (a lefty would be in the wrong position to get a quick throw to First), but I never understood why we can't catch. After all, when a righty is at bat, we can get a quicker snap throw to First to hold a runner.

Then I figured it out.

It's a vast right-handed conspiracy.:tongue:
So you are in your right mind??!! :tongue:

Frater Perdurabo
06-26-2012, 06:45 PM
So you are in your right mind??!! :tongue:

Enough of the left-handed compliments.

wilburaga
06-27-2012, 10:11 AM
If anything, the ability of any medicore left-handed reliever to earn MLB contracts until 40 or when his arm falls off makes baseball one of the sports where left-handers are most advantaged.

Whoa, left handers are advantaged in baseball???????

Dude, we are geometrically disallowed to play three of the nine positions. We are not given the chance to play yet another position because, well, I don't really know.

Just because some left handed pitchers have jobs because lame righty pitchers can't get lefthanded hitters out is no reason to cite an advantage to lefties.

Righties can play ALL positions, lefties barely half. That's not an advantage.

34rancher
06-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Whoa, left handers are advantaged in baseball???????

Dude, we are geometrically disallowed to play three of the nine positions. We are not given the chance to play yet another position because, well, I don't really know.

Just because some left handed pitchers have jobs because lame righty pitchers can't get lefthanded hitters out is no reason to cite an advantage to lefties.

Righties can play ALL positions, lefties barely half. That's not an advantage.

But you do get to be closer to first on every at bat and have the advantage of higher batting averages. Also, with the majority of righties on the mound, you get to see better pitching from the righty lefty matchup.