PDA

View Full Version : When a player is traded during a game

fisk4ever
06-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Is there an effective time of day for a trade, for example, "after today's game"?

I know from a previous thread that a player could play for another team the same day. My question, though, is what is the procedure during the games being played?

Presumably the managers have some idea that a deal is in the works. At some point the manager is notified, and the affected players/agents. Maybe the players get a moment to notify their families?

Say Lillibridge had been a baserunner. Would he find out at the half inning? Apparently he could continue playing if the manager wishes. Youkilis stayed in the game and came out to an ovation.

Is there a common procedure?

DumpJerry
06-25-2012, 05:20 PM
As soon as the teams agree on the trade, the players become the "property" of their new teams and are immediately removed from the game they are playing in. They are no longer on the former team and the new team does not want their new player injured.

Jon Garland was traded from the D-Backs to the Dodgers during a game when the D-Backs were playing the Dodgers. He changed dugouts in the middle of the game.

PaleHoser
06-25-2012, 05:57 PM
I recall Miguel Olivo (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/olivomi01.shtml) was removed in the middle of the Cubs/Sox game on 6/27/04 (box score (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200406270.shtml)) because he'd been traded to Seattle for Freddy Garcia.

Olivo homered off Greg Maddux earlier in the game, and managed to get caught stealing twice. I remember the HR, but completely forgot about him getting caught stealing twice. I guess I was too stoked about the Sox picking up Freddy Garcia.

fisk4ever
06-25-2012, 06:05 PM
As soon as the teams agree on the trade, the players become the "property" of their new teams and are immediately removed from the game they are playing in. They are no longer on the former team and the new team does not want their new player injured.

Jon Garland was traded from the D-Backs to the Dodgers during a game when the D-Backs were playing the Dodgers. He changed dugouts in the middle of the game.

I see. When I first watched these highlights of Youkilis' last game, I didn't realize they were just anticipating the trade. Turning on the sound was helpful, too. Thanks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWP4smEFt1k&feature=related

white sox bill
06-25-2012, 07:03 PM

What about uni?

Oblong
06-26-2012, 09:36 AM
When Delmon Young was traded to the Tigers he found out about while riding to Comerica Park on the Twins bus. They told him to report to the Tigers clubhouse. He thought it was a joke. They apparantly still had one of his brother Dmitri's jerseys laying around and he wore that for the first game.

white sox bill
06-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Maybe I missed it but when the Bosox took Youk out in Sundays game to a standing ovation, was it flashed on the screen that he had been traded?

TheOldRoman
06-26-2012, 10:55 AM
What about uni?He probably just grabbed a jacket and hat from the Dodgers clubhouse. Although the player is property of the team immediately, he would not be eligibile to enter that game if he hadn't been on the roster before the game started.

pythons007
06-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Has there ever been a player to play more than the 162 game schedule because of a trade?

DeadMoney
06-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Has there ever been a player to play more than the 162 game schedule because of a trade?

Frank Taveras did in 1979 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/15262) when he played for the Pirates for 11 games, then was traded to the Mets and played in only their 10th game of the season apon arriving (doesn't seem that there's any more that did it specifically because of trade, but not sure).

Edit: Looks like Todd Zeile also did in 1996 with the Phillies and Orioles.