PDA

View Full Version : Cubs call up Rizzo

doublem23
06-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Cubs debut is Tuesday against the Mets. Cubs have to make a roster move before the game tomorrow to make room for him on their 25-man roster.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-rizzo-to-make-cubs-debut-on-tuesday-20120625,0,3360648.story

white sox bill
06-25-2012, 03:20 PM
The Savior has come! Teal??

DumpJerry
06-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Cubs debut is Tuesday against the Mets. Cubs have to make a roster move before the game tomorrow to make room for him on their 25-man roster.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-rizzo-to-make-cubs-debut-on-tuesday-20120625,0,3360648.story
Won't they have to remove something like five guys from the 25 man roster to make room for him? After all, he is Lou Gehrig, Hank Greenberg, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, and Joe DiMaggio (all in their prime) all wrapped in one.

What is going to be fun to watch is how NL pitchers will key in on him because of the hype he has had since February or whenever it was the Cubs got him.

I was thinking about the season when Frank Thomas got called up. There were some very good write-ups during Spring Training, but he was not called The Answer or anything like that. When he got called up, he was considered a top prospect, but every year there are about nine or ten guys who get that label. That does not put a target on your forehead like what Rizzo has gotten from the hype machine.

HomeFish
06-25-2012, 03:40 PM
It'll be interesting to see what Rizzo can do in Chicago now that draft slotting restricts his ability to give big paydays to guys like Strasburg and Harper.

DumpJerry
06-25-2012, 03:42 PM
It'll be interesting to see what Rizzo can do in Chicago now that draft slotting restricts his ability to give big paydays to guys like Strasburg and Harper.
I fully expect him to overcome this. Not only will the Cubs' home stadium be renamed "Rizzo Field," but I hear the name of the City of Chicago might be changed to "Rizzoville."

Yeah, he's that good.

Hitmen77
06-25-2012, 03:55 PM
The Cubs always seem to have a prospect to over-hype. Most of them go the way of Felix Pie. We'll see about Rizzo.

By the way, if he's so wonderful, what did San Diego not see in him when they traded him away for the great Andrew Cashner.:dunno:

veeter
06-25-2012, 05:40 PM
He's proven he's a AAA stud. Now he'll show if he's a AAAA player or a legit Major Leaguer. If he turns out to be Lyle Overbay it wouldn't surprise me.

kittle42
06-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Todd Rizzo was better.

WhiteSox5187
06-25-2012, 06:31 PM
The Cubs always seem to have a prospect to over-hype. Most of them go the way of Felix Pie. We'll see about Rizzo.

By the way, if he's so wonderful, what did San Diego not see in him when they traded him away for the great Andrew Cashner.:dunno:

The Padres thought so highly of Rizzo that they decided to trade for another first baseman this off season. I think that that is very telling.

DSpivack
06-25-2012, 06:42 PM
The Padres thought so highly of Rizzo that they decided to trade for another first baseman this off season. I think that that is very telling.

The Padres hope they will go up and on with the wild Alonso, Yonder.

JayBeast
06-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Jersey sales must be down :scratch:

DrCrawdad
06-25-2012, 08:49 PM
What are the chances Rizzo gets a standing ovation on his first AB?

soxfanreggie
06-25-2012, 10:50 PM

You mean you didn't believe in Corey Patterson as the next Willie Mays?!?!?!? :tongue: He's so good, eight MLB teams have had him on his roster, with the Orioles and Brewers getting him twice! Heck, his eight hits in 51 AB (44 games) - a .157 BA - that had to be the reason the Cards won a World Series. Man was he so lucky to be a throw-in on a deal with Toronto to get a ring out of that.

Rosenbloom's thoughts: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-06-20/sports/chi-rizzos-cubs-debut-better-on-the-road-20120620_1_cubs-fans-starlin-castro-andrew-cashner

If people out there in their organization care about him, they'll hold up pictures of Patterson and Pie and tell him not to believe the Cub hype machine looking to suck him in.