PDA

View Full Version : So do we make a further roster move?

Tragg
06-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Lillibridge could play OF or IF. To my knowledge, Escobar and Hudson are both infielders. We have one bench outfielder, although Dunn can play it in a pinch.
Do we stick with them, or DFA Hudson and bring up another outfielder.

sox1970
06-24-2012, 06:46 PM
They threw Escobar out in LF one time.

Danks is enough as a 4th outfielder.

CoopaLoop
06-24-2012, 06:48 PM
I think Escobar has played the OF this year.

hoosiersoxfan
06-24-2012, 06:56 PM
I can see Kenny trading for a SP if Danks can't get healthy and Gavin continues to struggle.

Noneck
06-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Danks can play all 3 OF positions and Dunn in a pitch. Ramirez looked good in CF when I saw him but that wont happen unless a catastrophic event occurs.

Frater Perdurabo
06-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Our roster will be bolstered significantly when Danks replaces AAAAxelrod and Humber replaces Bruney.

Moses_Scurry
06-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Pitching help would be nice, but I'm not sure how badly they need it. It really all rests on Danks. They could use some more bullpen depth too. I wouldn't give up any important pieces unless the return is somebody who will be here beyond 2012.

soxfanreggie
06-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Danks can play all 3 OF positions and Dunn in a pitch. Ramirez looked good in CF when I saw him but that wont happen unless a catastrophic event occurs.

That's pretty much it. You can't have Danks PR though unless it's really late in a game and you're willing to put Dunn out there in LF if needed.

Irishsox1
06-25-2012, 01:32 AM
I would like to see a move in the pen. Adding another left hander and dumping Ohman.

CoopaLoop
06-25-2012, 01:55 AM
How many bullpens have 7 guys you trust?

Replacing Ohman isn't really high on my list of things to do. Just use him correctly. Mop up duty or lefty only.

SoxSpeed22
06-25-2012, 02:01 AM
What we do about the bullpen might depend on what Santiago does. Although having 3 lefties in the starting rotation sounds odd, I think we can get away with it. I don't think there's much else we can do, unless someone else gets hurt. Danks and Humber will come back, and Axelrod will go back down, Bruney might be able to hang on though.

kevingrt
06-25-2012, 06:12 AM
What we do about the bullpen might depend on what Santiago does. Although having 3 lefties in the starting rotation sounds odd, I think we can get away with it. I don't think there's much else we can do, unless someone else gets hurt. Danks and Humber will come back, and Axelrod will go back down, Bruney might be able to hang on though.

Completely agree on the Santiago comment. He has been pretty solid lately and if he can continue to pitch well and be a decent 5th/6th inning guy or mop-up guy then I am not too worried about the bullpen.

PaleHoser
06-25-2012, 12:18 PM
put Dunn out there in LF if needed.

Problem with that is that assuming Dunn is DH, pitchers would then have to hit the rest of the game.

Tragg
06-25-2012, 03:08 PM
I would think we might DFA Hudson. He doesn't really add anything.

Irishsox1
06-25-2012, 03:41 PM
How many bullpens have 7 guys you trust?

Replacing Ohman isn't really high on my list of things to do. Just use him correctly. Mop up duty or lefty only.

It's not a trust issue, it's his era over 6 and how poor Santiago has pitched. In Ohman's 22 innings pitched he's given up 5 home runs, hit 3 batters and has only 11 strike outs. The good news is that he's only walked 4 batters.

The OP's question was additional moves and I think adding a better lefty in the pen would help.

SOXSINCE'70
06-25-2012, 06:14 PM
I would like to see a move in the pen. Adding another left hander and dumping Ohman.

Can he take Thornton as well?? I'm growing tired of the 1 run losses as soon as # 37 comes into a game in
which the Sox have the lead (or the game is tied),and Thornton either:

A. Throws a wild pitch,
B. Gives up a game tying home run,
or
C. Gives up the go ahead run in the ninth (or extra innings).

ChiTownTrojan
06-25-2012, 07:06 PM
If the Sox do make another move before the deadline, I'd expect it to be a minor deal that doesn't require taking on much salary. On this team, that would be either a utility guy that is more versatile than Hudson, or a RP.

I mentioned on another thread that I don't think the Youkilis trade in any way signifies that the Sox are going to be buyers at the deadline. Part of the reason the trade was made was due to the minimal increase in payroll, which may even be offset by an anticipated bump in attendance/revenue. This is still an aging team with very few assets in the minors. A major deal for a SP or a starting position player would shock me.