PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6/24 There was a baseball win today? Post game thread

voodoochile
06-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Hey I know we made a trade for a known player, but the Sox won a walkoff today too.

:soxwin:

:supernana:

:)

LITTLE NELL
06-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Great win, Hawk called it when he said Escobar is not afraid to get a big hit. I love that little guy, reminds me of Aparicio. Back in 1st place, tough road trip coming up but we are tough on the road. First series win in awhile.

shingo10
06-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Jose is pitching so well right now that it's almost getting tempting to take him for granted. This is amazing. 16 scoreless innings? 97 batters without a walk?

They have found a gem in their farm system and thank god for that because we need it badly.

Love the timely hit by Escobar, he brings a great energy to this team.

Back in first place! YES!

ElevenUp
06-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks to the Astros for taking the last 2 against the Toons. Great game by Quintana. He looks fearless out there. Nice job by Escobar to get the walk off. Kudos to Rios for is defense today as well. Let's hit the road and get some wins!

hawkjt
06-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Aaaaahhhh...back where the Sox belong...FIRST PLACE,BABEEE!!

Way to go pitching staff! Jose is pitching his arse off. Love how he just pounds that strike zone,no walks,no caving in...what a streak he has going!

I guess it takes a guy who is not deep in a funk to come up and break the ice finally with a clutch hit. Our clutchness factor has been way down the last two weeks,but Escobar ignored the whammy!

Nice job by Alejandro to lead off the 10th with a double also.
Bruney sighting ...and a win!

With Stewart and Lilly gone, I see Bruney sliding in to stay, even when Danks comes back. He is stretched out so he can fill the long role.
I guess this also means that Danks is here to stay in the outfield role,with another slot open now?

New bench: O-Dog,Escobar,Tyler,Danks and a right-handed hitting outfielder?

Dan H
06-24-2012, 05:03 PM
It would have been a big downer to lose this game with the pitching and the great defense. It is good to win an extra inning game for a change.

sox1970
06-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Quintana has a ridiculous 1.25 ERA. What a find for the Sox. Big props.

delben91
06-24-2012, 05:05 PM
It would have been a big downer to lose this game with the pitching and the great defense. It is good to win an extra inning game for a change.

Is this their first extra innimg win of the year?

DonnieDarko
06-24-2012, 05:06 PM

Second, I believe.

cards press box
06-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Aaaaahhhh...back where the Sox belong...FIRST PLACE,BABEEE!!

Way to go pitching staff! Jose is pitching his arse off. Love how he just pounds that strike zone,no walks,no caving in...what a streak he has going!

I guess it takes a guy who is not deep in a funk to come up and break the ice finally with a clutch hit. Our clutchness factor has been way down the last two weeks,but Escobar ignored the whammy!

Nice job by Alejandro to lead off the 10th with a double also.
Bruney sighting ...and a win!

With Stewart and Lilly gone, I see Bruney sliding in to stay, even when Danks comes back. He is stretched out so he can fill the long role.
I guess this also means that Danks is here to stay in the outfield role,with another slot open now?

New bench: O-Dog,Escobar,Tyler,Danks and a right-handed hitting outfielder?

I can't see the Cubs holding on to Reed Johnson very long. He would be a good fit for the Sox bench, better than Fukodome.

Oh yeah, the game was an awesome 1-0 win in extra innings. Without a doubt,

:winner

OmahaSoxFan
06-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Quintana has a ridiculous 1.25 ERA. What a find for the Sox. Big props.

That's awesome, our young arms are looking SPECTACULAR so far! Sale isn't so much a surprise, but Quintana??? All I have to say is wow!

And the Sox are back in 1st, and they have acquired a more than serviceable 3B today, I would say its a great day for the Pale Hose!

central44
06-24-2012, 05:15 PM
I keep waiting for Quintana to have that game when the other team has him figured out.

It keeps not happening.

Starting to look like the Sox have found another Buehrle.

DonnieDarko
06-24-2012, 05:16 PM

:praying:

chisoxfanatic
06-24-2012, 05:24 PM
So THAT'S what a series win looks like. We hadn't had one in three weeks! It's about damn time!

Nice going again, Quintana! He looks like a 3rd quality arm! Sale, Peavy, Quintana...Don't think I'd want to face that in a 5- or 7-game series.

Tragg
06-24-2012, 05:24 PM
What's that - 2 straight shutouts for Quintana? Nice.

I see Bruney's back......

Soxman219
06-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Just to think this time last Sunday all hope was lost but now we're in first again (Thank god we're in the AL Central). Let's hope good things keep happening.

cub killer
06-24-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm booking a room at Quintana Inn in celebration of this win...

SI1020
06-24-2012, 05:47 PM
I keep waiting for Quintana to have that game when the other team has him figured out.

It keeps not happening.

Starting to look like the Sox have found another Buehrle. I was hoping the same thing but didn't dare say it. I really like watching that young man pitch. He goes after the hitters with it seems to me a real good idea of what he wants to do. His stuff doesn't awe you a bit, but he moves it around and mostly keeps it low in the zone. I'm going to be really rooting for him to continue his early success. One it would make for a nice story line, and two the Sox really need him now.

TDog
06-24-2012, 06:01 PM
This might be one of those turning point games, a week after it looked like the White Sox could have lost one of those, with Quintana also pitching eight shutout innings.

On a smaller level, it was the reverse of Friday night's loss and took the series, finishing interleague play for the year. The Sox only finished .500, but they were a game better than the Indians and only two games worse than the Tigers, whose 11-7 interleague record was the opposite of their 7-11 2011.

Moving into first place, although even with the Indians in the loss column is more symbolic at this point, especially with the White Sox picking up Youklis for a pitcher most White Sox fans never want around (although Daniel Hudson's ERA was a third of a run higher when the White Sox traded him in 2010). Sunday's White Sox third baseman could have won the game in the ninth, but he made his transition from starting third baseman to utility infielder by popping out. Orlando Hudson flailed to move the runner over earlier with a sacrifice earlier, but on defense, he was one of the reasons the Brewers didn't score today.

The ninth inning today was simply frustrating. A walk, a lineout double play that would have put the winning run on third if it had tipped off the leaping shortstop's glove, two more singles and a walk set up the bases loaded, two-out situation. Sometimes after missing game-ending opportunities like that, teams don't get another chance.

The game winning hit came from a pinch-hitter who replaced a player pulled from the lineup to make room for Youklis. In so many ways, if the Sox prevail in this division race, this will be a day and the game that fans will look back to.

Two of the previous three wins -- Humber's start in LA and Axelrod's start Saturday, have been games without strong starts. The other was a strong start by Floyd, who hasn't been pitching well this year. In the last seven games, the White Sox have won one shutout and have had three other games where the starter has pitched eight shutout innings. The first two of those games were losses. I am hoping today with the win and the trade, turns things around. It's not like the White Sox have dug themselves into a hole this June.

Zakath
06-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Really hot day to be out there and very frustrating game to be at (I was near WAY too many Brewers fans in the left field bleachers, though the guy heckling Gomez all day almost made it worth it). Fiers threw a lot of junk that we once again struggled with. Great to see Escobar come through with the big hit, especially as we had put runners on third in 3 of the previous 4 innings and not been able to score them.

What else can you say about Quintana? The kid went out there and threw another fantastic game. He's not overpowering but he battles and pitches well around hits and mistakes. 43 1/3 innings this year and still only given up 6 runs, 3 in the month of June. Also only walked 6 batters all year, and only 1 in the month of June.

Seems every time I go to a game, it's a pitcher's duel. Last year, it was a 3-0 win over Washington. Two years ago, a 2-0 win over Atlanta. I haven't seen another team score on us live in 3 years. :bandance::bandance:

sullythered
06-24-2012, 06:41 PM
If you would have told me, at the start of the year, that the Sox were gonna have 3 dominant starters, I would not have guessed you were talking about Jake Peavy, Chris Sale, and Jose Quintana.

Tragg
06-24-2012, 06:44 PM
(although Daniel Hudson's ERA was a third of a run higher when the White Sox traded him in 2010).

True, except that Hudson had 2 fewer years of professional baseball than Stewart when traded, and 9 games of major league experience, versus Stewart's 44.

Zakath
06-24-2012, 06:44 PM

Second, I believe.

Yes. Only other one was on May 8 in Cleveland, 5-3 in 10. Makes us 2-5 in extra innings this year. Last time we had a winning record in extra inning games was in 2008, when we were 8-4 (4-6 in 2009, 6-10 in 2010, 7-10 in 2011).

ChiSoxGal85
06-24-2012, 06:56 PM

It keeps not happening.

I don't know about labeling Quintana another Buehrle...but I love his solid performances. He seems unphased by runners on base and doesn't walk anyone. I hope he continues to boost the rotation. And I was so glad to see him pitch well with his father watching.

The game winning hit came from a pinch-hitter who replaced a player pulled from the lineup to make room for Youklis. In so many ways, if the Sox prevail in this division race, this will be a day and the game that fans will look back to.

I know I will!

Hartman
06-24-2012, 07:03 PM

let's not get ahead of ourselves

Adele_H
06-24-2012, 07:30 PM
What's that - 2 straight shutouts for Quintana? Nice.

I see Bruney's back......

Watching Quintana do his thing...... besides the expected positive feelings, one can't help but be even more disappointed with what John Danks, Floyd and Humber have done in 2012 ---- each with SUPERIOR stuff to Quintana!

Object lesson in the dreaded, often mocked "intangibles" -- Quintana finds a way to get outs, while Floyd, Humber find a way to avoid getting outs (check what they do when pitching out of the stretch with people on-base in 2012, wow).

Rios catch, too was huge: usually he mis-times that particular play and gets "stuck" in the fence as the ball barely makes it out of the park -- but this time, he did it right.

Now let's go at least 7-0 against Twins and Yankees. Woot.

Adele_H
06-24-2012, 07:35 PM
This might be one of those turning point games, a week after it looked like the White Sox could have lost one of those, with Quintana also pitching eight shutout innings.

On a smaller level, it was the reverse of Friday night's loss and took the series, finishing interleague play for the year. The Sox only finished .500, but they were a game better than the Indians and only two games worse than the Tigers, whose 11-7 interleague record was the opposite of their 7-11 2011.

Moving into first place, although even with the Indians in the loss column is more symbolic at this point, especially with the White Sox picking up Youklis for a pitcher most White Sox fans never want around (although Daniel Hudson's ERA was a third of a run higher when the White Sox traded him in 2010). Sunday's White Sox third baseman could have won the game in the ninth, but he made his transition from starting third baseman to utility infielder by popping out. Orlando Hudson flailed to move the runner over earlier with a sacrifice earlier, but on defense, he was one of the reasons the Brewers didn't score today.

The ninth inning today was simply frustrating. A walk, a lineout double play that would have put the winning run on third if it had tipped off the leaping shortstop's glove, two more singles and a walk set up the bases loaded, two-out situation. Sometimes after missing game-ending opportunities like that, teams don't get another chance.

Two of the previous three wins -- Humber's start in LA and Axelrod's start Saturday, have been games without strong starts. The other was a strong start by Floyd, who hasn't been pitching well this year. In the last seven games, the White Sox have won one shutout and have had three other games where the starter has pitched eight shutout innings. The first two of those games were losses. I am hoping today with the win and the trade, turns things around. It's not like the White Sox have dug themselves into a hole this June.

Now that I think about it...I still can't get over starting Stewart on Monday.

I can live with losing 2 of 3 to the Brew-crew if it means NOT losing 2 of 3 to by far the biggest rival Sox have for market share & entertainment dollar in the city.

Both Dunn and Konerko slumping quietly, hopefully once they go on a HR tear again, Sox will be clobbering people ala 2000, 2004, 2006 teams.

BigKlu59
06-24-2012, 07:37 PM
I don't know about labeling Quintana another Buehrle...but I love his solid performances. He seems unphased by runners on base and doesn't walk anyone. I hope he continues to boost the rotation. And I was so glad to see him pitch well with his father watching.

I know I will!

I am having flashback memories to a "YOUNG" Juan Pizzaro. Kid is in the groove and what the Sox need right now to tag team with Cy Sale.. Oh and dont forget that hail... Nice to see them pull out an EI win.

BK59

TDog
06-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Now that I think about it...I still can't get over starting Stewart on Monday. ...

At the time, I wondered if Stewart was being showcased for a trade. Considering the wind was blowing out at 25 mph I don't think he pitched that badly. The Sox seemed to be in the game before Jones came in, When the Sox sent him down, though, I thought there was no way he would be traded. Today I was surprised to see he was part of the deal.

Moses_Scurry
06-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Now that I think about it...I still can't get over starting Stewart on Monday.

I can live with losing 2 of 3 to the Brew-crew if it means NOT losing 2 of 3 to by far the biggest rival Sox have for market share & entertainment dollar in the city.

Both Dunn and Konerko slumping quietly, hopefully once they go on a HR tear again, Sox will be clobbering people ala 2000, 2004, 2006 teams.

This is what has given me an unhealthy dose of spiked kool-aid for this year. The offense has been pretty dreadful, along with 2/5 of the rotation the last three weeks, and the team is back in first. They've played about as bad as I think they're going to play, and they haven't lost much ground at all. Konerko will start hitting again, the worst is over for Floyd, and they just got a significant improvement at 3B.

It all rests on Danks's shoulders IMO. I wish he were coming back sooner.

soxfan1965
06-24-2012, 08:21 PM
It was nice to get a win with Dick Allen and Goose Gossage there. That 1972 team was refreshing after the brutal 1970 season. Although I thought I saw the last of these 1-0 or 1 run wins after the 1967 season. Refreshing too, like eucalyptus, Kevin should be that at third where despite the down numbers he might be the difference in getting the flag. He has the experience and instincts to give the team an AJ moment (that helped beat the Angels in 2005). Sorry though to see Lillibridge go.

GlassSox
06-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Another great day at the ball park. Rios's catch was outstanding and a game saver. Hudson had very good defense also.

Missed opportunities with RISP but Escobar was the hero today.

Compared to Saturday night, the Brewers fans were real quiet today in our section.

Adele_H
06-24-2012, 09:59 PM
At the time, I wondered if Stewart was being showcased for a trade. Considering the wind was blowing out at 25 mph I don't think he pitched that badly. The Sox seemed to be in the game before Jones came in, When the Sox sent him down, though, I thought there was no way he would be traded. Today I was surprised to see he was part of the deal.

Are you serious? 2nd and 3rd time through the order he got CRUSHED. 4 HR, none were cheap. Had he stayed another inning, he'd probably broken major league record for HR given up.

To somehow blame this on Nate Jones who finally showed inexperience....I don't know what to tell you. Other than you're wrong.

If they were trying to showcase Stewart for a trade, then it's just dumb & counter-productive: Stewart was a veritable PINATA as a reliever losing 5 mph compared to the Toronto scouting report --- he was supposed to top out at 96 mph as a reliever, remember and induce groundballs with a crazy-heavy sinker.....Yeah right! ..........What on earth would make KW think he can survive an outing as a starter? If I am Boston GM or scout, after Monday I have a change of heart.

No, Sox said they just wanted to give Peavy an extra day rest as a reasoning. Of course if that were the case, then why have Captain Bionic-Latissimus throw almost 130 pitches in scorching hot & humid weather the very next day, putting huge stress on that achy arm...in the process canceling out the whole Stewart-Peavy switcheroo gambit?

Ah the tantalizing mysteries of the baseball diamond...will anyone ever be able to explain them?

Maybe Kevin Costner knows. :bandance:

DumpJerry
06-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Are you serious? 2nd and 3rd time through the order he got CRUSHED. 4 HR, none were cheap. Had he stayed another inning, he'd probably broken major league record for HR given up.

To somehow blame this on Nate Jones who finally showed inexperience....I don't know what to tell you. Other than you're wrong.

If they were trying to showcase Stewart for a trade, then it's just dumb & counter-productive: Stewart was a veritable PINATA as a reliever losing 5 mph compared to the Toronto scouting report --- he was supposed to top out at 96 mph as a reliever, remember and induce groundballs with a crazy-heavy sinker.....Yeah right! ..........What on earth would make KW think he can survive an outing as a starter? If I am Boston GM or scout, after Monday I have a change of heart.

No, Sox said they just wanted to give Peavy an extra day rest as a reasoning. Of course if that were the case, then why have Captain Bionic-Latissimus throw almost 130 pitches in scorching hot & humid weather the very next day, putting huge stress on that achy arm...in the process canceling out the whole Stewart-Peavy switcheroo gambit?

Ah the tantalizing mysteries of the baseball diamond...will anyone ever be able to explain them?

I wish I had 10% of the insight your powers have given you.

JB98
06-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Give a raise to whichever scout recommended the Sox take a chance on Jose Quintana.

Adele_H
06-24-2012, 11:09 PM
I wish I had 10% of the insight your powers have given you.

Hey, as Benjamin Franklin told Franklin Benjamin....Be careful what you wish for.

It's both a blessing AND a gift.

IronFisk
06-25-2012, 01:07 AM
Huge win. I'm happy.

:)

TDog
06-25-2012, 01:49 AM

The White Sox gave Stewart his first start of the season less than a week before they traded him in a deal most Sox fans would consider a clear upgrade. However badly he pitched (and the White Sox were still in the game when Jones trotted in from the bullpen) it certainly played out as if they were showcasing him with a Red Sox scout in the stands. And if that was the case, it was hardly counterproductive considering that the deal was completed. It's not as if the Red Sox would have taken Stewart straight up for Youkilis had he not started Monday's game.

Adele_H
06-25-2012, 02:58 AM
The White Sox gave Stewart his first start of the season less than a week before they traded him in a deal most Sox fans would consider a clear upgrade. However badly he pitched (and the White Sox were still in the game when Jones trotted in from the bullpen) it certainly played out as if they were showcasing him with a Red Sox scout in the stands. And if that was the case, it was hardly counterproductive considering that the deal was completed. It's not as if the Red Sox would have taken Stewart straight up for Youkilis had he not started Monday's game.

How do you know that for sure? All we know is that bizarre decision-making by the Sox, coming on the heels of 4 straight lost series against lesser compeition, could NOT have helped.

Once he got outside his reliever pitch-count/comfort-zone, Stewie got flat-out blown up -- and not by Yankees, Orioles or Blue Jays offense, but by the Cubbies. It was so predictable, no second-guessing here. Even last year, his non-Target Field ERA was, what? 7.00? If I am Boston GM and I am fondly remembering the Zach Stewart circa his high ranking prospect days in the Blue Jays farm system, and as such am hoping to make him a part of the furure Red Sox starting rotation.....you damn right, I get second thoughts watching that performance on Monday.

So yeah, you know what, perhaps it DID cost us Lillibridge -- maybe Red Sox would have otherwise settled for Tyler Kuhn as a throw-in with Stewart before Monday. Or, maybe it didn't cost us anything. Point is, you don't know.

All I know it was stupid decison. Not catastrophic, mind you, not anything to lose sleep over -- just s-t-u-p-i-d. TDog, why can't you ever admit Sox frront office can make mistakes in decision-making? That KW got snookered by the Blue Jays in the Edwin Jackson trade last year, for that matter?

It backfired as Sox lost both Cubs games anyway-- and despite intentions to handle him with baby gloves, still somehow managed to have Peavy porcelain doll accrue Verlander-like stress on the body in high heat/humidity on Tuesday.... pretty much defeating the original purpose of the schedule switch.

(And you know what? Cubs are NOT just another team. I could let it go if it were Oakland A's or Brewers. Just not give games away to those jamooks, LOL. Now I gotta hear about it from my Cubbie buddies plenty. )

Whatever, no more Stewart, nightmare is over, lol.

PicktoCLick72
06-25-2012, 08:52 AM
How do you know that for sure? All we know is that bizarre decision-making by the Sox, coming on the heels of 4 straight lost series against lesser compeition, could NOT have helped.

Once he got outside his reliever pitch-count/comfort-zone, Stewie got flat-out blown up -- and not by Yankees, Orioles or Blue Jays offense, but by the Cubbies. It was so predictable, no second-guessing here. Even last year, his non-Target Field ERA was, what? 7.00? If I am Boston GM and I am fondly remembering the Zach Stewart circa his high ranking prospect days in the Blue Jays farm system, and as such am hoping to make him a part of the furure Red Sox starting rotation.....you damn right, I get second thoughts watching that performance on Monday.

So yeah, you know what, perhaps it DID cost us Lillibridge -- maybe Red Sox would have otherwise settled for Tyler Kuhn as a throw-in with Stewart before Monday. Or, maybe it didn't cost us anything. Point is, you don't know.

All I know it was stupid decison. Not catastrophic, mind you, not anything to lose sleep over -- just s-t-u-p-i-d. TDog, why can't you ever admit Sox frront office can make mistakes in decision-making? That KW got snookered by the Blue Jays in the Edwin Jackson trade last year, for that matter?

It backfired as Sox lost both Cubs games anyway-- and despite intentions to handle him with baby gloves, still somehow managed to have Peavy porcelain doll accrue Verlander-like stress on the body in high heat/humidity on Tuesday.... pretty much defeating the original purpose of the schedule switch.

(And you know what? Cubs are NOT just another team. I could let it go if it were Oakland A's or Brewers. Just not give games away to those jamooks, LOL. Now I gotta hear about it from my Cubbie buddies plenty. )

Whatever, no more Stewart, nightmare is over, lol.

I really have no idea how we will survive without Lillibridge.

To argue the Sox got anywhere a bad deal on this trade is rather rediculous.

doublem23
06-25-2012, 09:19 AM

Oh no, not the 28-year-old utility infielder with a .215/.283/.358 career slashline... IT'S BROCK FOR BROGLIO, PART II :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

TDog
06-25-2012, 11:54 AM
How do you know that for sure? All we know is that bizarre decision-making by the Sox, coming on the heels of 4 straight lost series against lesser compeition, could NOT have helped. ....

You are right in that I don't know. I am only drawing conclusions from available evidence.

However, I cannot imagine a scenario where the Sox, White and Red, had a deal worked out, Stewart for Youkilis straight up, BUT, the folks in Boston said, Stewart might suck because all he does is come into games in the ninth and give up home runs so well have to send a scout to Chicago to see him start a game, only to have the scout return to Boston and say he really sucks, so we're going to have to demand their pinch-runner as well.

I like Brent Lillibridge. I think he has a world of talent, and I think he can be a brilliant role player in flashes, as he was last year. Lillibridge might be an older and saner version of Steve Lyons, who the White Sox got even up from the Red Sox more thn a quarter of a century ago straight up for Tom Seaver (the Red Sox still owe us a future consideration), but I think Lillibridge has more talent. Still, I don't see Lillibridge as a regular in either Boston or Chicago. I never opened the Youkilis thread, but I imagine Stewart and Lillibridge for Youkilis would have been in the dream color.

hawkjt
06-25-2012, 12:54 PM
I would not be surprised that Stewart sold the Red Sox on him when he started throwing 94-95mph in the 3rd and 4th inning on Monday nite. He has not hit that kind of velocity all season out of the pen...more like 89-91mph. Of course,the harder he threw,the harder the Cubs hit him,but I suspect that the Red Sox scouts saw those radar gun readings and sold the Red Sox brass on his potential power arm.

I suspect that Stewarts outing on monday was a positive for making this trade happen.

October26
06-25-2012, 01:13 PM
It was nice to get a win with Dick Allen and Goose Gossage there. That 1972 team was refreshing after the brutal 1970 season. Although I thought I saw the last of these 1-0 or 1 run wins after the 1967 season. Refreshing too, like eucalyptus, Kevin should be that at third where despite the down numbers he might be the difference in getting the flag. He has the experience and instincts to give the team an AJ moment (that helped beat the Angels in 2005). Sorry though to see Lillibridge go.

:thumbsup:

I like this post because it states what I'm thinking (great minds think alike) and it also captures the kind of crazy, hectic, Monday I am having so far today. I agree with everything you said here. Great walk-off win for our Sox yesterday! :D:

SoxSpeed22
06-25-2012, 01:32 PM
We can't express enough how improved the defense is from last year. Plenty of game saving plays happened today. I'm not going to hold it against Beckham and Dunn in the 8th, K-Rod just overpowered them. It was nice to see Escobar get in there and drive in the winning run.

WisSoxFan
06-25-2012, 01:35 PM
We can't express enough how improved the defense is from last year. Plenty of game saving plays happened today. I'm not going to hold it against Beckham and Dunn in the 8th, K-Rod just overpowered them. It was nice to see Escobar get in there and drive in the winning run.

I thought the HP umpires wide strike zone (both ways, not meant as a complaint - well a little bit of a complaint, but not complaining that the Sox got hosed or anything) got Beckham in the 8th as well. It seemed to me the second pitch of the at bat (a swinging strike with an 0-1 count on a pitch about 6 inches off the plate) could have been a result of the wide strike zone. It almost seemed to be a "that's been a strike all day so I better take a hack" type swing.

Adele_H
06-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Oh no, not the 28-year-old utility infielder with a .215/.283/.358 career slashline... IT'S BROCK FOR BROGLIO, PART II :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Do it for the Shire, never forget the Stealf Elf; NEVER FORGET 1111OneIIIII!!!!!

Adele_H
06-25-2012, 01:49 PM
I really have no idea how we will survive without Lillibridge

To argue the Sox got anywhere a bad deal on this trade is rather rediculous.

Ya, except..... I never argued anything of the sort.

In fact, from the Palehose perspective, it's a deal I make 10 times out of 10. Yes, even with Youk's health question marks.

(which is NOT to say that I didn't find Lillibeast surprisingly entertaining from the games I saw in 2011. Hitting, running, fielding, even trying to bunt emphasis on 'trying' -- it sure never was boring, hahah. Which counts for a lot in my book.

And in the interest of full disclosure, in the back of my mind I did find his new-found HR power & body-change in 2011 more than a little *suspicious* if you know what I mean.... if it's indeed true, Lilli should fit right in Boston COUGHPoppyMannyVeritekNixonMillarBellhornCOUGH:)

voodoochile
06-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Ya, except..... I never argued anything of the sort.

In fact, from the Palehose perspective, it's a deal I make 10 times out of 10. Yes, even with Youk's health question marks.

(which is NOT to say that I didn't find Lillibeast surprisingly entertaining from the games I saw in 2011. Hitting, running, fielding, even trying to bunt emphasis on 'trying' -- it sure never was boring, hahah. Which counts for a lot in my book.

And in the interest of full disclosure, in the back of my mind I did find his new-found HR power & body-change in 2011 more than a little *suspicious* if you know what I mean.... if it's indeed true, Lilli should fit right in Boston COUGHPoppyMannyVeritekNixonMillarBellhornCOUGH:)

Please stop rumor mongering about players and steroids unless you have proof. Thanks.

SoxSpeed22
06-25-2012, 02:38 PM
I thought the HP umpires wide strike zone (both ways, not meant as a complaint - well a little bit of a complaint, but not complaining that the Sox got hosed or anything) got Beckham in the 8th as well. It seemed to me the second pitch of the at bat (a swinging strike with an 0-1 count on a pitch about 6 inches off the plate) could have been a result of the wide strike zone. It almost seemed to be a "that's been a strike all day so I better take a hack" type swing.Yeah, there was a wide strike zone, but like you said, it went both ways. Quintana got plenty of calls like those, as well as the Brewer pitchers.

Adele_H
06-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Please stop rumor mongering about players and steroids unless you have proof. Thanks.

Steroids, who said anything about steroids?

It's well-known that there are no such thing. Not in baseball. Not in the past. About which I'd rather not talk.

I resent the implication, Voodoo.

jdm2662
06-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Yeah, there was a wide strike zone, but like you said, it went both ways. Quintana got plenty of calls like those, as well as the Brewer pitchers.

Yeah, and of course, Hawk cried like a bitch when some calls went against the Sox way. Yet, he didn't saw a word when a 1-2 count pitch to Dunn late in the game was a strike and called a ball.

FielderJones
06-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Yet, he didn't say a word when a 1-2 count pitch to Dunn late in the game was a strike and called a ball.

Not true. He said "We got a break there."

WisSoxFan
06-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Yeah, there was a wide strike zone, but like you said, it went both ways. Quintana got plenty of calls like those, as well as the Brewer pitchers.

I think we're in violent agreement. Tough to hold Beckham's K there against him for multiple reasons.

jdm2662
06-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Not true. He said "We got a break there."

No, Steve Stone did. Hawk said nothing.

Adele_H
06-25-2012, 03:00 PM
You are right in that I don't know. I am only drawing conclusions from available evidence.

However, I cannot imagine a scenario where the Sox, White and Red, had a deal worked out, Stewart for Youkilis straight up, BUT, the folks in Boston said, Stewart might suck because all he does is come into games in the ninth and give up home runs so well have to send a scout to Chicago to see him start a game, only to have the scout return to Boston and say he really sucks, so we're going to have to demand their pinch-runner as well.

I like Brent Lillibridge. I think he has a world of talent, and I think he can be a brilliant role player in flashes, as he was last year. Lillibridge might be an older and saner version of Steve Lyons, who the White Sox got even up from the Red Sox more thn a quarter of a century ago straight up for Tom Seaver (the Red Sox still owe us a future consideration), but I think Lillibridge has more talent. Still, I don't see Lillibridge as a regular in either Boston or Chicago. I never opened the Youkilis thread, but I imagine Stewart and Lillibridge for Youkilis would have been in the dream color.

TDog, people change their mind all the time. Executives are people; organizations are made of people. Well, with the exceptions of the Chicago Cubs; there is a good case to be made for some degree of presence of alien and/or demonic component in their corporate culture... but I digress.

I didn't say just Stewart... but who's to say the original tentatively agreed upon, or merely bandied about, deal circa a week ago included Lillibridge and not, for instance, Tyler Kuhn or Eduardo Escobar?

All I know starting Stewart made zero sense for reasons stated in previous posts.

As for the last part, super-utility guys who are actually good are more valuable and rare than you make it sound. Secondly, I still maintain Lillibridge should have been an everyday 3B in 2011 when he wasn't in OF -- or at worst, when Morel hurt his back in Spring Training. Lilli never got a chance after a couple of 0-fers. Part his own fault, he got too desperate & greedy after initial taste of hitting early HR...... but part of the failure was Guillen playing his usual favorites. Lilli was pigen-holed as a disposable utility guy and never got a true, legitimate chance to learn get the ever-important TIMING right, better get the feel for the opposing pitchers; refine his swing mechanics, find his identity as a top-of-the-order speedster, learn the nuances of getting big leads, stealing bases, -- i.e. things that can be practiced, sure, but which can only be really tested playing EVERY DAY, in real games that count.... Wharever.

Adele_H
06-25-2012, 03:37 PM
TDog, people change their mind all the time. Executives are people; organizations are made of people. Well, with the exceptions of the Chicago Cubs; there is a good case to be made for some degree of presence of alien and/or demonic component in their corporate culture... but I digress.

I didn't say just Stewart... but who's to say the original tentatively agreed upon, or merely bandied about, deal circa a week ago included Lillibridge and not, for instance, Tyler Kuhn or Eduardo Escobar?

Recent example might have been Nationals GM Rizzo pulling the rug from underneath KW during the whole EdwinJackson-Adam Dunn-Hudson.

Which Rizzo naturally denied probably cuz it made him look less than goodly.

asindc
06-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Recent example might have been Nationals GM Rizzo pulling the rug from underneath KW during the whole EdwinJackson-Adam Dunn-Hudson.

Which Rizzo naturally denied probably cuz it made him look less than goodly.

According to the main Nats beat writer for the Washington Post, the highly-respected baseball writer Tom Boswell, Rizzo wanted to do the deal but it got nixed by a 3-person Executive Board that oversees all decisions in that organization. Nats fans have been quite frustrated by the Board's apparent influence over the years, and it is widely viewed here as the main reason Stan Kasten got fed up and left.

SI1020
06-25-2012, 06:57 PM
According to the main Nats beat writer for the Washington Post, the highly-respected baseball writer Tom Boswell, Rizzo wanted to do the deal but it got nixed by a 3-person Executive Board that oversees all decisions in that organization. Nats fans have been quite frustrated by the Board's apparent influence over the years, and it is widely viewed here as the main reason Stan Kasten got fed up and left. Another example of why I hang around. Didn't know that, and thanks for the tidbit.