PDA

View Full Version : CONFIRMED White Sox acquire Kevin Youkilis

Sockinchisox
06-24-2012, 04:54 PM
https://twitter.com/jimbowdenespnxm/status/216997417164357633

Brian26
06-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Ok- Heyman confirming on MLB Network. That's good enough.

Heyman thinks it is for Stewart and Lillibridge, with Boston picking up approx $5 million.

TomC727
06-24-2012, 05:14 PM
MLB Network reporting the White Sox have acquired Youkilis.

Martinigirl
06-24-2012, 05:17 PM

Heyman thinks it is for Stewart and Lillibridge, with Boston picking up approx $5 million.

I am fine with those two going for a steady presence at 3rd base.

KMcMahon817
06-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Youk for Stewart and a UTIL guy? Sounds damn good to me. Part of me hopes it is not Lillibridge or Escobar, but I could live with either.

Welcome to the SOX Youk. Just hit a little, and field your position...if you do, you'll be a great addition.

Corlose 15
06-24-2012, 05:18 PM

That's also good enough.

knocko94
06-24-2012, 05:19 PM
We never have to see Zach Stewart pitching in a White Sox uniform again? Thank goodness. Our long national nightmare is over.

WhiteSox5187
06-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Heyman is reporting that it is Stewart and Lillibridge. I know that Lillibridge was likely the odd man out with Danks being able to play all the OF positions and Escobar being able to play most if not all of the IF positions but I still liked Lillibridge for some odd reason. I would rather have had him on the team than Hudson.

PalehosePlanet
Now somebody get him home for ****'s sake!!!!!

balke

If it is Lillibridge - might be even better. I love the guy and what he showed last season... but losing him makes it even easier to bring up Mitchell later this season as some are expecting.

Boondock Saint
06-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Not going to like this one.

balke
06-24-2012, 05:22 PM
We never have to see Zach Stewart pitching in a White Sox uniform again? Thank goodness. Our long national nightmare is over.

I won't miss him and he was bad. That said, I could see him bouncing back in his career to being a major league talent.

KMcMahon817
Gotta be Lilli. Escobar hitting in his spot.

I'll be the first to say I'll miss Lilli, but a good acquisition. Now let's win this ball game.

RockJock07
Given what was given up and how much $ the Red Sox picked up I would say this is better then any other 3B option out there, so I like it alot.

1 year rental while giving up 2 pieces, 1 whom probably wasn't going to see the majors again this season.

balke
06-24-2012, 05:24 PM
"Red Sox have traded Kevin Youkilis and cash to White Sox for Zach Stewart and Brent Lillibridge confirmed."

- Bowden

https://twitter.com/#!/JimBowdenESPNxm

WhiteSox5187
06-24-2012, 05:25 PM
I won't miss him and he was bad. That said, I could see him bouncing back in his career to being a major league talent.

I have a hard time seeing him be much more than a version of DJ Carrasco. This isn't as risky as some of Kenny's more recent acquisitions because we didn't give up much and even if Youkilis sucks he walks at the end of the year.

samurai_sox
Welcome Youk and your weird ass batting stance.

As for Stewart, good riddance.

Lillibridge, I liked the spark he was last year but this year he hasn't done a thing.

balke
Nice cherry on top with Escobar winning the game for us. Was kinda hoping it wasn't him going.

WhiteSox5187
06-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Nice cherry on top with Escobar winning the game for us. Was kinda hoping it wasn't him going.

Yea, I am sad to see Lillibridge go because I liked him for some strange reason but I would rather see him go than Escobar. In an ideal world we could have gotten rid of Hudson instead but oh well.

RockJock07
06-24-2012, 05:28 PM
The Red Sox had little leverage here, Kenny saw it and acted on it. Great move by him

sullythered
06-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Yea, I am sad to see Lillibridge go because I liked him for some strange reason but I would rather see him go than Escobar. In an ideal world we could have gotten rid of Hudson instead but oh well.

Escobar is younger and more versatile. It's good that it's Lillibridge.

SoxSpeed22
Makes sense for this trade. Those were two pieces that we didn't need and got something that could be good out of it.

Hartman
Boston picking up 5 of 8 mil of his contract :smile:

ChiSoxGal85
06-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Gotta be Lilli. Escobar hitting in his spot.

I'll be the first to say I'll miss Lilli, but a good acquisition. Now let's win this ball game.
Me too...I follow him on twitter, he seems to be a good person. I wish him luck in Boston.

But I think it will be worth it. I think a change of scenery will be good for Youk, and his bat will be better than Hudson's.

DonnieDarko
06-24-2012, 05:31 PM

That's what I meant to say in my last post on the subject, thank you. Escobar is a much better defender. The only thing that Lillibridge has on him is power, and so far this year he hasn't shown any.

I hope that the grass is greener for him in Boston, and I think that this move was actually a good move for the Sox. I don't know enough about Boston to know how good a move it was for them, but I hear that the rookie that they have playing 3B now is pretty damned good, so I guess it may have been for them.

gf2020
06-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Anybody actually clearly better than Youk would have cost legit prospects and probably wouldn't be had for another two or three weeks. If you are concerned with the farm system, it was either no trade or this trade and I'll take this trade.

soltrain21
06-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Hard to hate this. We gave up very little. Hope Youk rebounds.

StillMissOzzie
06-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Now we will find out if Youkilis has anything left, but it won't take much to surpass the production the Sox have received from 3B so far this year. Just make the routine plays, hit a little better, and the fans will be happy.

SMO
:gulp::gulp:

gf2020
06-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Rosenthal says the White Sox are actually getting 5.5 million in the deal, not 5. Helps with his buyout for next season I bet.

harwar

Yea,i'm a fan .. Escobar has talent and reminds me of a young Ozzie

RockJock07
Anybody actually clearly better than Youk would have cost legit prospects and probably wouldn't be had for another two or three weeks. If you are concerned with the farm system, it was either no trade or this trade and I'll take this trade.

Spot on post. There was no help coming from anywhere else, Kenny probably wasn't going to be able to pick up another quality 3B without better prospects. This was going to be pretty much the only option given the Red Sox situation.

SephClone89
06-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Hard to hate this. We gave up very little. Hope Youk rebounds.

Bingo.

WisSoxFan
06-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Gave up virtually nothing to fill a position of need. Youkilis may not be great, but for what was given up and the amount of money the Sox will have to spend I give Williams a thumbs up for this move.

Now let's make it three in a row with Peavy vs. the perpetual losers tomorrow night. Wonder when Youkilis gets in the line-up. Hopefully he can meet the team in Minny tomorrow.

Welcome aboard and good luck to Lillibridge in Boston unless it's against our Sox.

LITTLE NELL
06-24-2012, 05:36 PM
I for one will miss Brent, very versatile, could play anywhere, just can't hit.
Zach Stewart, well if you can't say anything good about someone..................

CoopaLoop
Kenny Williams gave up trash for Youk. Great move.

Sox OPS from third base this season is .466, last in the majors by 102 points.

Dick Allen
I wasn't too excited about the possibility of Youkilis coming here, but considering what Kenny gave up, kudos.

SCCWS
06-24-2012, 05:38 PM
A couple of thoughts:

1. I doubt Lilli will last on Boston roster once Crawford comes back in a few weeks.
2. I would guess Youk will hit 7th or 8th to start??? He is normally a 3-5 hitter in Boston but I am not sure if he is ready for that yet. I doubt Robin wants to move everybody down one slot or tinker w Beckham now that he is hot. Youk had 2 hits today for Boston

Nelson Foxtrot
06-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Great trade. Even if Youk doesn't bounce back (and I think he will), he's gone after the season and we didn't give up much. If Stewart learns to pitch, instead of throwing over the middle of the plate and hoping for the best, he could be a solid middle reliever. I like Lillibridge, but his 2011 season seems like a fluke. It reminds me of Mark Bellhorn's lone season as a "supersub" with the Cubs some years back.

Dan H
06-24-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm glad Youkilis is coming over. This offense needs some kind of spark. Watching that Brewer game today was frustrating, even with the win.

rdivaldi
06-24-2012, 05:42 PM
"In your face Mel Gibson!"

voodoochile
06-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Works for me...

KyWhiSoxFan
06-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Pretty low risk, how reward move, so no one can complain about this trade. A veteran at the corner who has playoff experience is a big positive.

As for Lillibridge, he was in the doghouse all season for some reason, so nothing is lost. If the Sox need a pinch runner or speed off the bench, Escobar is now the man.

Stewart was terrible, so that's just getting rid rid of a mistake. The Sox already have guys ahead of Stewart in Charlotte, so he was in the process of being buried there for at least a year.

Nice move. It also takes Hudson off the field and out of the batter's box, another big plus.

Tragg
06-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Stewart and Lillibridge?

Thank You, Kenny Williams

Danielgosox38
06-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Great trade. I always liked Brent though. I hope Youk succeeds here. Side note: I also hope that the Red Sox accept when I trade for him on my White Sox franchise mode on MLB 12: The Show to make my Sox roster accurate.

hawkjt
06-24-2012, 05:49 PM
I watched Youk's at bats today...he had 2 hits,including a double.
He is 6 for his last 14 at bats,and and has a .500 oba his last 4 games(8-16). He made a stellar play on a linedrive to his left in the game today also. I think he looks pretty healthy,and he is going to be extremely motivated.

Today with O-Dog up with bases loaded, I though about having Youk up instead...I think he works a walk better in that situation.

I liked Lilly,but he just was not hitting this year. Maybe not enough at bats for a fair assessment,but as a utility guy,you have to come off the bench hitting.

Stewart struggled, and just could not fool anyone.

Between Stewart and Lilly, they probably had salaries of maybe 1 million,so Boston picking up 5.5 million of Youks salary makes this a minimal salary hike for the Sox. The Sox did not have to give up real bullpen pieces to make this happen...color me happy.
:D:

Parrothead
06-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Williams traded for Brent Lillibridge, C Tyler Flowers, 3B Jon Gilmore and P Santos Rodriguez and the Chicago White Sox gave up P Javier Vázquez (played for 3 more years) and P Boone Logan (still playing). I guess Williams is good at trading serviceable guys for bad players. Good job Kenny. At least he didn't give Boston cash too.

WSox597
06-24-2012, 05:50 PM
I had a soft spot for Lillibridge, but it does look like he can't hit well. Good luck in Boston, Brent.

Stewart is no loss to the White Sox, and no gain for Boston.

I always liked the way Youkalis played, so he should help. Good move, Ken Williams.

central44
06-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Sox gave up absolutley nothing, and at worst the guy they got back is just as bad as they guy currently playing 3B.

No risk, high reward. Excellent move for KW--even if Youk doesn't produce, this is the kind of move he HAS to make.

I love it.

Steelrod
06-24-2012, 05:56 PM
5.5 plus what the saved on Lilli's contract. More or less a wash for a servicable player in a position we need. Don't say Kenny isn't trying.

delben91
Williams traded for Brent Lillibridge, C Tyler Flowers, 3B Jon Gilmore and P Santos Rodriguez and the Chicago White Sox gave up P Javier Vázquez (played for 3 more years) and P Boone Logan (still playing). I guess Williams is good at trading serviceable guys for bad players. Good job Kenny. At least he didn't give Boston cash too.

So Lillibridge + Stewart = Servicable but Youkilis = Bad?

Glad you're not letting your hate for KW get in the way of your assessment here...

Save McCuddy's
Can't see how this isn't a shot worth taking. If the balance of Youkilis's 2012 salary doesn't have longer term implications as we try to rebuild on the fly, then this is a free roll.

The move should benefit Viciedo as he'll either have Youk protecting him or be able to study his plate discipline from the on deck circle.

spongyfungy
06-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Kenny straight up jacked the Red Sox

GoGoCrede
06-24-2012, 05:59 PM
I guess I have to somehow stop loathing his batting stance.

PalehosePlanet
06-24-2012, 06:00 PM
"In your face Mel Gibson!"

HAHAHAHA! I remember when Dennis Leary and Lenny Clarke were yelling that in the booth at Fenway. Classic.

Hopefully Youk is reanimated by the trade.

Tragg
06-24-2012, 06:00 PM

He's made a lot of bad deals, but that really wasn't one of them. LIllibridge is the equal of Logan, for their respective jobs. And we took a shot at 3 prospects; and Flowers is in the league and he's not a bad catcher, but he's just behind AJ.

But this deal - it's purely low risk, high reward. If Stewart gets it together, he's a 5th starter; Lilli is a good utility player. If Youkalis gets it together, he's a well above average hitter, if not an all star.

WhiteSox5187
06-24-2012, 06:02 PM

I don't know if I would go THAT far. Youkilis is having a nice a week but the guy is clearly on the downside of his career and the Red Sox have a 23 year old kid who is hitting the cover off the ball. Throw in the fact that Youkilis (and seemingly everyone else on the Red Sox) is clashing with his manager and it makes him expendable, the Red Sox were pretty much willing to take whatever they could for him.

pczarapa
06-24-2012, 06:02 PM

That was my exact same thought when I heard the trade went through, I hope I learn to love it.

hawkjt
06-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Can't see how this isn't a shot worth taking. If the balance of Youkilis's 2012 salary doesn't have longer term implications as we try to rebuild on the fly, then this is a free roll.

The move should benefit Viciedo as he'll either have Youk protecting him or be able to study his plate discipline from the on deck circle.

My early shot at our new lineup:

DeAza
Gordo
Dunn
PK
Alex
AJ
Tank
Youk
Alexei

Alexei is actually our hottest hitter right now,so having a high OBA Youk in front of him is good. Or you could go with Youk ahead of Tank.
On paper,this lineup looks pretty solid,but then a day like today,nobody can hit. PK and Adam Dunn are slumping and that kills the offense.
DeAza was slumping but got a big double today.
Gordo going well.
Alex goind ok.
AJ slumping a bit.
Tank slumping but showing signs of life.
Time to roll,Sox!!

RealFan
06-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Can someone help me connect dots for the fun of it? I like the trade b/c I know that Stewart was winding his way down the depth chart and Lillibridge has shown us all he can do.

However, in my connect the dots mode, wasn't Stewart the centerpiece of the Edwin Jackson trade? Did Lilli come over with Tyler for Javy?

Did Kenny sell Jackson low and then turn around and sell Stewart low?

All in all, I'm happy but trying to figure out relative values.

LITTLE NELL
06-24-2012, 06:05 PM

At least Rios got rid of that horrible stance he had.
Will have to work on Youk.

Soxman219
06-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Kenny was probably wearing a ski mask while he was on the phone with Boston.

Great news, Youk was tired in Boston and just wanted to play. Now we got a great infield and possible production at 3B. Nothing to lose here.

WhiteSox5187
06-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Can someone help me connect dots for the fun of it? I like the trade b/c I know that Stewart was winding his way down the depth chart and Lillibridge has shown us all he can do.

However, in my connect the dots mode, wasn't Stewart the centerpiece of the Edwin Jackson trade? Did Lilli come over with Tyler for Javy?

The center piece of the second Edwin Jackson trade was getting rid of Mark Teahen.

fram40
06-24-2012, 06:07 PM

I agree - they gave up nothing. And they have a chance to improve a weak position by a lot.

There is absolutely no downside to this trade

WhiteSox5187
06-24-2012, 06:09 PM
I agree - they gave up nothing. And they have a chance to improve a weak position by a lot.

There is absolutely no downside to this trade

There is no down side to this trade for either side. I would hardly call this trade highway robbery for the White Sox since the Red Sox made it clear that they HAD to get rid of Youkilis. The White Sox offered the best package which wasn't much obviously but it was the best the Red Sox could do.

Tragg
06-24-2012, 06:10 PM
C

Yes, he sold Jackson low. Very low.
But he didn't sell Stewart low, because he's the low we got for Jackson.

It's possible Stewart turns out to be a good ML pitcher. He was ranked highly not too long ago. But trading him is a chance well worth taking.

Noneck
06-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Its ok wiith me as long as the yook chant stops.

Shoeless
06-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Its ok wiith me as long as the yook chant stops.

You and I both know that won't happen.

RockJock07
06-24-2012, 06:14 PM

What does this post even mean?

hawkjt
06-24-2012, 06:15 PM

Jackson and Teahan to the Jays for Stewart and the reliever was a big salary dump of Teahen...Sox salvaged that.
Now Stewart and Lilly to Boston to fill a gaping hole to make a run at the division this year.
Javvy(whos bridges were burnt in Chicago) to the Braves for Lilly and Tyler(who is likely our starting catcher next year) also saved salary.

You have to look at Stewart and Lilly's value right now vs a Youk who the Sox will only pay 1.5 million the rest of the year...if he works out, he is a huge bargain. When right, he is a professional hitter at a spot where the Sox are the worst in MLB right now.

Adele_H
06-24-2012, 06:16 PM
https://twitter.com/jimbowdenespnxm/status/216997417164357633

Since Sox didn't give up anyone of high value -- no disrespect to Lillibridge but he has noone but himself to blame for 2012 regression --- I think I like the trade.

Alright Greek G-d of Walks, show us what you got. Please stay in one piece for 3 months. Deal?

Do Sox hit him 8th or 2nd where his OBP skills may come in handy?

balke
06-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Since Sox didn't give up anyone of high value -- no disrespect to Lillibridge but he has noone but himself to blame for 2012 regression --- I think I like the trade.

Alright Greek G-d of Walks, show us what you got. Please stay in one piece for 3 months. Deal?

I'm thinking he bats 2nd. I can't see Beckham keeping this pace - and don't see why you'd hide youk in the lineup.

DeadMoney
06-24-2012, 06:20 PM
During the press conference KW said something like "..well, he's another OBP guy..." Um Kenny, I didn't know you knew OBP existed!? :redneck

This deal is a no lose on both ends. The White Sox gave up absolutely nothing worth value. They didn't sacrifice any future. They didn't give them anyone I'd consider a prospect. We got a guy who SHOULD be an improvement for two guys who have offered us nothing but negative value in 2012.

LITTLE NELL
06-24-2012, 06:22 PM

Youk is not a Greek, his roots are Romanian-Jewish.
http://www.jewishbaseballnews.com/players/kevin-youkilis/

RCWHITESOX
06-24-2012, 06:23 PM
I am fine with those two going for a steady presence at 3rd base.

If that was all they had to give up; then great move Kenny. Keep looking for another starter; and some more bench depth.

cub killer
06-24-2012, 06:23 PM
So who will be the first fans to yell YOOOOOK?

Welcome to Chicago, You-kill-us. Here's your chance to Cowboy Up! Oops, wrong guy... :redface:

SCCWS
06-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Living in New England, I have seen Youk play a lot. He always plays the game hard. Very active and vocal in the dugout. Should provide another leader in the clubhouse.

LITTLE NELL
06-24-2012, 06:27 PM
I guess this means that when he's healed, Morel will probably spend the rest of the year in Charlotte and get called up in September.

DickAllen72
06-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Living in New England, I have seen Youk play a lot. He always plays the game hard. Very active and vocal in the dugout. Should provide another leader in the clubhouse.
The Sox have lacked a vocal leader in the clubhouse since Carl Everett has been gone. This may be exactly what this team needs to put them over to the next level.

CoopaLoop
06-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Sox gave up absolutley nothing, and at worst the guy they got back is just as bad as they guy currently playing 3B.

No risk, high reward. Excellent move for KW--even if Youk doesn't produce, this is the kind of move he HAS to make.

I love it.

No at worst he is much better than the guy was playing 3B.

SI1020
06-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Youkilis is not that old, and he has not been down that long, that he can't revive his career. I almost didn't want to post because this deal could turn out very well for the Sox, and ball players aren't the only ones who are superstitious in baseball. Whatever happens there will be no negativity from me.

soltrain21
06-24-2012, 06:36 PM
http://www.jewishbaseballnews.com/players/kevin-youkilis/

That's his nickname.

CoopaLoop
06-24-2012, 06:38 PM
I think I saw on twitter somewhere that the Sox will only be on the hook for 2.5 million. Red Sox paying the rest.

Rocky Soprano
06-24-2012, 06:39 PM
I love the move.

I'm also loving a Cub fan friend of mine on Facebook saying that the Sox hot hosed. He said Lilibridge is the type of guy you need to win and Stewart could be a beast.

:roflmao:

doublem23
06-24-2012, 06:40 PM

You got to remember KW had to trade Vazquez (and Swisher) after 2008 with almost no leverage as Ozzie had essentially run both of them out of town.

SCCWS
06-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Hopefully a good week to start fresh. Next two opponents, Twins and Yanks are 2 of the teams Youk has hit the best in his career. Tigers are also another one of his favorites. Whte Sox were one team he never hit well....................

Noneck
06-24-2012, 06:51 PM
I think I saw on twitter somewhere that the Sox will only be on the hook for 2.5 million. Red Sox paying the rest.

Does that include the 1M club option buyout at year end?

Brian26
06-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Me too...I follow him on twitter, he seems to be a good person. I wish him luck in Boston.

Lillibridge is a good guy and probably my favorite player on the Sox in 2011. Sorry to see him go, but Robin didn't give him a chance this year to get in a groove the way the roster was set up. Escobar and Fukudome were getting ABs that Lillibridge was getting last year.

MarySwiss
06-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Now, if we can only find a team to take Ohman off our hands... :cool:

rdivaldi
06-24-2012, 06:59 PM
HAHAHAHA! I remember when Dennis Leary and Lenny Clarke were yelling that in the booth at Fenway. Classic.

Hopefully Youk is reanimated by the trade.

Probably my all-time favorite baseball broadcasting moment (http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/denis-leary-hates-mel-gibson/y4Ph7FiWaDa-LSi36xDCKw) of all time. I was laughing about it for months. Bravehart my ass...

KyWhiSoxFan
06-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Does that include the 1M club option buyout at year end?

ESPN is reporting through Buster Olney that the BoSox are picking up all but $2-million of his salary, not $2.5-million. No mention about who pays for the club option.

Brian26
06-24-2012, 07:02 PM
You got to remember KW had to trade Vazquez (and Swisher) after 2008 with almost no leverage as Ozzie had essentially run both of them out of town.

I think Swisher and Vazquez ran themselves out of town, both on and off the field. Not sure you can blame Ozzie for that one.

russ99
06-24-2012, 07:08 PM
ESPN is reporting through Buster Olney that the BoSox are picking up all but $2-million of his salary, not $2.5-million. No mention about who pays for the club option.

That's a steal for a rental. The only thing were really giving up is Lillibridge's versatility and Youkilis could bounce back with a change of Sox.

Good trade, Youk for a year until we see what the long-term issues may be with Morel's back.

Plus, Youk is no slouch at 1B in case Paul needs to take time off with his injury problems...

SI1020
06-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Probably my all-time favorite baseball broadcasting moment (http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/denis-leary-hates-mel-gibson/y4Ph7FiWaDa-LSi36xDCKw) of all time. I was laughing about it for months. Bravehart my ass... That was hilarious. Of course I also laughed at the comment "same guilt, same bad food." I think I'll take Jewish food over Irish food, and even my dear Irish wife would understand that.

Zakath
06-24-2012, 07:19 PM
My early shot at our new lineup:

DeAza
Gordo
Dunn
PK
Alex
AJ
Tank
Youk
Alexei

Alexei is actually our hottest hitter right now,so having a high OBA Youk in front of him is good. Or you could go with Youk ahead of Tank.
On paper,this lineup looks pretty solid,but then a day like today,nobody can hit. PK and Adam Dunn are slumping and that kills the offense.
DeAza was slumping but got a big double today.
Gordo going well.
Alex goind ok.
AJ slumping a bit.
Tank slumping but showing signs of life.
Time to roll,Sox!!

If Youkilis can get anywhere near his lifetime .874 OPS, I believe you're going to see him hit 6 or 7, ahead of Viciedo, and possibly in between Rios and AJ.

Can't think they're too happy in Detroit right now. IF this lineup can start to hit and hit consistently, our lineup matches theirs, our defense is better, our rotation is deeper, and our bullpen is stronger.

Zakath
06-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Plus, Youk is no slouch at 1B in case Paul needs to take time off with his injury problems...

Not sure we need him there. One thing that has really gone unnoticed this year is the defense that Dunn has given us at 1B when he's subbed for Paulie, where he has still not made an error all year.

It will be nice to have a third option at first, but the hole for us is definitely at the hot corner.

balke
06-24-2012, 07:24 PM
If Youkilis can get anywhere near his lifetime .874 OPS, I believe you're going to see him hit 6 or 7, ahead of Viciedo, and possibly in between Rios and AJ.

Can't think they're too happy in Detroit right now. IF this lineup can start to hit and hit consistently, our lineup matches theirs, our defense is better, our rotation is deeper, and our bullpen is stronger.

There was a rumor a week or 2 ago Detroit was going to go after TCQ.

My thought at lineup:

DeAza
Youk
Dunn
Konerko
Rios
Viciedo
AJ
Beckham
Ramirez

The OBP and patience of Youk and Dunn would get guys on base for Konerko. Rios Viciedo and AJ who like to make contact are behind him.

I could see Rios at 2 as well.

billyvsox
06-24-2012, 07:25 PM
I dont really have high expectations for Yoook at this point, but it should be a small upgrade and hopefully he can get the clutch hits we need.

As for Stewart, good riddence, he is not a major league pitcher. Only a matter of time before Boston DFA's him.

And for those in love with Lillibridge, keep in mind he is a CAREER .210 hitter with bad baserunning skills and strikes out wayyyyy to much!!

This was worth the chance.

mahagga73
06-24-2012, 07:27 PM
I have a hard time seeing him be much more than a version of DJ Carrasco. This isn't as risky as some of Kenny's more recent acquisitions because we didn't give up much and even if Youkilis sucks he walks at the end of the year.
Carrasco was an effective pitcher for the Sox, Stewart was garbage.Still can't believe they got anything for Lilli and Stewart,neither is a major league player.Lilli was good last year but back to normal this year.I like this move because they gave up nothing and if Kevin does anything it's better than what they have had at 3rd.If Youk breaks out of his mini slump and starts raking it could be the difference this year.

billyvsox
06-24-2012, 07:28 PM
There was a rumor a week or 2 ago Detroit was going to go after TCQ.

My thought at lineup:

DeAza
Youk
Dunn
Konerko
Rios
Viciedo
AJ
Beckham
Ramirez

The OBP and patience of Youk and Dunn would get guys on base for Konerko. Rios Viciedo and AJ who like to make contact are behind him.

I could see Rios at 2 as well.

I like this idea:

1. De Aza
2. Beckham (he has gotten it going there)
3. Rios
4. Konerko
5. Dunn (i like him protecting paulie, not in front)
6. Yook or Tank
7. AJ
8. Tank or Yook
9. Alexei (speed at the bottom)

KMcMahon817
06-24-2012, 07:28 PM
I dont really have high expectations for Yoook at this point, but it should be a small upgrade and hopefully he can get the clutch hits we need.

As for Stewart, good riddence, he is not a major league pitcher. Only a matter of time before Boston DFA's him.

And for those in love with Lillibridge, keep in mind he is a CAREER .210 hitter with bad baserunning skills and strikes out wayyyyy to much!!

This was worth the chance.

I don't think Stewart was even put on Boston's 40 man. So, he won't be getting DFA any time soon unless they call him up to the majors this year.

Adele_H
06-24-2012, 07:36 PM

Haha, I know. Good catch. I briefly debated putting the Greek park in "quotations" but it seemed like too much work.... having just seen Moneyball DVD you know where Jonah Hill character plays a clip of Youk while in the minor leagues.....

(the 'Most Dos Equis Man' dude is also not Hispanic, but it's easier to imagine him as one anyway.)

Frater Perdurabo
06-24-2012, 07:42 PM
I didn't think it was possible for me to like a Youkilis acquisition, but KW found a way.

Lillibridge is fast but doesn't run the bases well and gets picked off a lot, doesn't hit well, and isn't a great infielder. He's OK at first, but his height is a disadvantage. He's decent in the OF, but Danks is much better. Escobar is a superior defensive replacement at 3B, SS and 2B and is a switch hitter. This also moves Hudson to the bench.

As much as we've had pitching problems this year, Stewart got sent down in favor of AAAAxelrod and Bruney.

Youkilis may be done, but he also might hit well and work walks. If PK needs time to rest his wrist, Youkilis can play 1B or DH. Or, in a situation like today, where PK gets pulled for a pinch runner (Escobar, for instance) late in the game (or in extras) but does not score, Youkilis can move to first (with Escobar taking over at third).

Finally, there is now no rush on Morel (not that one existed previously). He can rehab slowly and then get his stroke back at Charlotte in August.

Worst case, we remain mediocre.

Best case, our lineup gets a jump-start.

No guarantees, but KW just increased the odds we win the division.

Adele_H
06-24-2012, 07:43 PM
I'm thinking he bats 2nd. I can't see Beckham keeping this pace - and don't see why you'd hide youk in the lineup.

I guess it depends; those who watch a lot of baseball.......does Youk still have the old batspeed & ability to fight off pitcher's pitches with 2 strikes like he used to? If yes, then of course he's a 2-hole hitter. But just going strictlty by his unimpressive stat-sheet I still have my doubts.

And in Beckham's defense, he's busted his butt off trying to get rid of that patented Greg Walker Hitch in his swing. Since that 2-game series in Anaheim in May where he lost 2 HR (one a double off the top of the wall, the other robbed by Vernon Wells over the wall)........well since that time, he's been like a 900 OPS hitter. He certainly is looking hella better last month+.

Does Robin mess with a good thing and throw him out of the 2-hole in favour of Youklis?

I mean, it shouldn't make much difference where he bats if Beckham has *truly* turned the corner, but you know baseball players with their superstition, who knows.... Is his walkup song still Metallica or Outfield?

TDog
06-24-2012, 07:44 PM
I think Swisher and Vazquez ran themselves out of town, both on and off the field. Not sure you can blame Ozzie for that one.

I'm not either. Swisher came to Chicago in need of a serious attitude adjustment and it took getting traded to the Yankees to make it stick. And if anyone drove Vazquez out of town, it wasn't Guillen.

KyWhiSoxFan
06-24-2012, 07:51 PM
I guess it depends; those who watch a lot of baseball.......does Youk still have the old batspeed & ability to fight off pitcher's pitches with 2 strikes like he used to? If yes, then of course he's a 2-hole hitter. But just going strictlty by his unimpressive stat-sheet I still have my doubts.

And in Beckham's defense, he's busted his butt off trying to get rid of that patented Greg Walker Hitch in his swing. Since that 2-game series in Anaheim in May where he lost 2 HR (one a double off the top of the wall, the other robbed by Vernon Wells over the wall)........well since that time, he's been like a 900 OPS hitter. He certainly is looking hella better last month+.

Does Robin mess with a good thing and throw him out of the 2-hole in favour of Youklis?

I mean, it shouldn't make much difference where he bats if Beckham has *truly* turned the corner, but you know baseball players with their superstition, who knows.... Is his walkup song still Metallica or Outfield?

Even if Youklis can hit well, why move Beckham when he's finally comfortable and doing well in the 2 hole? It took him a long long time, like a year and half, to get there, and you don't want to mess that up for an unknown.

Youk can hit somewhere in the second half of the lineup. If he delivers, it is a bonus and far in excess of anything Hudson has been doing and gives the bottom of the lineup some pop. Maybe hitting around Ramirez will also help Ramirez, who finally looks like he is getting his act together offensively.

doublem23
06-24-2012, 07:52 PM

I'll give you Swisher, but Ozzie was all over Vazquez. Either way point being, it's not like KW dealt either of them from a position of any leverage.

voodoochile
06-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Even if Youklis can hit well, why move Beckham when he's finally comfortable and doing well in the 2 hole? It took him a long long time, like a year and half, to get there, and you don't want to mess that up for an unknown.

Youk can hit somewhere in the second half of the lineup. If he delivers, it is a bonus and far in excess of anything Hudson has been doing and gives the bottom of the lineup some pop. Maybe hitting around Ramirez will also help Ramirez, who finally looks like he is getting his act together offensively.

Beckham's .728 OPS in the 2-hole is hardly anything to write home about. Yeah it's the best he's produced in a while, but it's not like it's so good the Sox can't take a chance on a guy with a ~.900 career OPS even if he is having a down year.

Bucky F. Dent
06-24-2012, 07:55 PM
As most all have said above, a good deal for the team especially given the price.

Regardless of what else you might think of them, you have to tip your hat to Kenny & Jerry for the willingness to go the extra mile when they see that the team has a chance to make the post-season.

TaylorStSox
06-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Nice move. We got high upside for 2 guys with marginal value.

With KW's luck, Youk will break his foot getting off the plane and Stewart will morph into Dan Hudson 2010. :dtroll:

Adele_H
06-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Lillibridge is fast but doesn't run the bases well and gets picked off a lot, doesn't hit well, and isn't a great infielder. He's OK at first, but his height is a disadvantage. .

I am glad Youklis is here, too, but let's not exaggerate things. Lillibridge was the best overall baserunner on the Sox, even with an occasional brain-cramp --- because all Sox players get picked off, including Beckham and De Aza, but Lilli was just quicker & more aggressive which paid off on unglamorous non-SB plays like going from 1st to 3rd, advancing on a breaking ball in the dirt, scoring from 1st on a short double down the line, etc. It's much worse when someone like AJP gets out by half the baseline trying to unnecessarily force the issue just so everyone can say how "heads-up" he is.

As for Jordan Danks being so clearly superior... what exactly has he done so far in the OF other than embarassingly lose the game in Los Angeles? Or maybe because Buddy Bell says he is the greatest defensive CF since Atillah the Hun? Is that the same Buddy Bell who said Mark Teahen was a plus defender at 3B? As a kid, I still remember Joe Borchard billed by the likes of Rdivaldi, Randar68 and Daver as this amazing gliding fly-ball vacuum cleaning machine in CF --- but somehow when he got to the majors, Borchard ended up being a tomato plant in center...... Lilli made more spectacular catches last year in limited AB than most players do in entire season and only really badly misplayed one in Colorado when he dogged after a basehit....

More importantly...how's Youklis defense at 3B these days?

LITTLE NELL
06-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Haha, I know. Good catch. I briefly debated putting the Greek park in "quotations" but it seemed like too much work.... having just seen Moneyball DVD you know where Jonah Hill character plays a clip of Youk while in the minor leagues.....

(the 'Most Dos Equis Man' dude is also not Hispanic, but it's easier to imagine him as one anyway.)

Being of Greek ancestry, when Youk first came up I was curious about him because In my 66 years I never ran into a Greek named Kevin, so I googled him and found out about his Romanian roots. I'm OK with calling him a Greek God, there aren't too many of us left.

balke
06-24-2012, 08:03 PM

Better than Hudson's.

voodoochile
06-24-2012, 08:04 PM
I am glad Youklis is here, too, but let's not exaggerate things. Lillibridge was the best overall baserunner on the Sox, even with an occasional brain-cramp --- because all Sox players get picked off, but Lilli was just quicker and more aggressive which paid off on unglamorous non-SB plays like going from 1st to 3rd, advancing on a breaking ball in the dirt, etc. It's much worse when someone like AJP gets out by half the baseline trying to unnecessarily force the issue just so everyone can say how "heads-up" he is.

As for Jordan Danks being so clearly superior... what exactly has he done so far in the OF other than embarassingly lose the game in Los Angeles? Or maybe Buddy Bell says he is the greatest defensive CF since Atillah the Hun? Is that the same Buddy Bell who said Mark Teahen was a plus defender at 3B? As a kid, I still remember Joe Borchard billed by the likes of Rdivaldi, Randar68 and Daver as this amazing gliding fly-ball vacuum cleaning machine in CF --- but somehow when he got to the majors, Borchard ended up being a tomato plant in center...... Lilli made more spectacular catches last year in limited AB than most players do in entire season and only really badly misplayed one in Colorado when he dogged after a basehit....

All of that is moot to the point that Lillibridge was very expendable as was Stewart. The Sox gave up nothing of significant value here. Neither was ever going to be a starter on a regular basis for the team.

Tragg
06-24-2012, 08:08 PM
I'll give you Swisher, but Ozzie was all over Vazquez. Either way point being, it's not like KW dealt either of them from a position of any leverage.
I don't know what people are complaining about the Vasquez trade for anyway. I agree that he's the one Ozzie publicly complained about, but we got an excellent prospect, Lillibridge and 2 other low minor prospects. Flowers will probably be our starting C next year. I wish he'd play twice a week this year, frankly.

The Swisher trade was the one that wasn't serious.

slavko
06-24-2012, 08:09 PM
That was hilarious. Of course I also laughed at the comment "same guilt, same bad food." I think I'll take Jewish food over Irish food, and even my dear Irish wife would understand that.

Video was hilarious, you won't waste the 3 minutes. The food comment is accurate. Neither cuisine has much use for vegetables.

Mel G might not like Dos Equis either, based on the beer dude. :cool: I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer the green bottle to the brown.

Adele_H
06-24-2012, 08:09 PM
All of that is moot to the point that Lillibridge was very expendable as was Stewart. The Sox gave up nothing of significant value here. Neither was ever going to be a starter on a regular basis for the team.

Agreed.

I've only posted here like a day but you know what I think of the 2012 incarnation of Zach "88 mph sinker that sinks all the way to the concourse" Stewart...... Mercy! :angry:

And Lillibridge for all his underrated versatile skills in 2011.... never really fundamentally understood why he needed to play a SMALL man's game (with an occasional 450 foot HR off a hanger) and utilize his speed -- instead of foolishly trying fall out of his shoes trying to leave yard on every swing like he was Mark McGwire or something.

I am just relieved Sox didn't give up Simon Castro or Quintana or Nate Jones for Youk.

WhiteSox5187
06-24-2012, 08:10 PM

This is a bit of a high jack but the animosity between Javy and the rest of the Sox started in that last series before the end of the season against Cleveland in 2008 a reporter asked Javy about his struggles in high pressure games and Javy said "It doesn't matter much to me because at the end of my career I will go back to my home in Puerto Rico." In that game Javy got shelled and at one point he and AJ got into it and then in the dugout I seem to recall there being an incident with him and JD or maybe it was Orlando Cabrera. That prompted Ozzie to put up the sign on the clubhouse door the next day that said "**** feelings it's about winning." Both Swisher and Javy pretty much ran themselves out of town.

Back to the trade, someone said this best at worst this trade leaves us mediocre. At best it puts us closer to maybe winning the division. I am not a fan of Kenny Williams at all but it's hard to really criticize this move.

SCCWS
06-24-2012, 08:16 PM

This trade may make the infield a little weaker defensively but the offense improves. The Sox are 7th in the AL in OBP. Youk will raise that. So a drop defensively at third over Morel( maybe not Hudson) will not be a major issue.

Adele_H
06-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Better than Hudson's.

I sure hope so.

But is it really?

I mean, Hudson got eaten up alive on grounders right at him because of sheer inexperience...but in his defense, it should be noted that he ALSO made a boat-load of flashy, range-y plays especiually to his left in the hole as a former 2B that I can't envistion a banged up Youklis would make.......

Is Fenway poster still around from the old days? He may know more about every day Carmines stuff like Youklis defense.

balke
06-24-2012, 08:18 PM
I sure hope so.

But is it really?

I mean, Hudson got eaten up alive on grounders right at him because of sheer inexperience...but in his defense, it should be noted that he ALSO made a boat-load of flashy, range-y plays especiually to his left in the hole as a former 2B that I can't envistion a banged up Youklis would make.......

Is Fenway poster still around from the old days? He may know more about every day Carmines stuff like Youklis defense.

That inexperience alone is making Hudson a liability. Ramirez is at SS - don't need the excess range. They need a guy who knows the position and isn't afraid to move in on the grass to take away the bunt. Hudson has lost us some games already based on bad defense. The experiment at 3B needs to stop. Youk might not be what he was there but he knows how to play the position which is an upgrade.

SCCWS
06-24-2012, 08:22 PM
I sure hope so.

But is it really?

From what I have seen, he is an average 3rd baseman and a better than average first baseman. Not sure he is banged up now. When he came back from injury, the Red Sox were in interleague play and Ortiz was playing first instead of DH'ing. Then Middlebridge exploded offensively playing 3rd. For the last week, all the Youk quotes said he was healthy. We will see starting Tuesday.

DickAllen72
06-24-2012, 08:30 PM
For the last week, all the Youk quotes said he was healthy. We will see starting Tuesday.
Was it announced that he won't be starting with the White Sox until Tuesday? I figured he would be playing tomorrow already.

Rounding_Third
06-24-2012, 08:30 PM
The bad news...Youk hitting only .233. The good news....that's @40/55pts higher than Hudson/Morel. Hopefully, Youkilus' back gets stronger as he puts some space from his strain. Says he feels great. Herm will be all over it anyway.

Love the trade! Before hindsight makes it good or bad, this is one of Kenny's best based on potential vs cost. If Youk is indeed feeling good, once he shakes off the rust and gets his timing back, his numbers are going a lot higher.

Now, if we can find another righty SP.....

Adele_H
06-24-2012, 08:43 PM
That inexperience alone is making Hudson a liability. Ramirez is at SS - don't need the excess range.

Slightly OT: that's another one of those common misconceptions along the lines of "1B doesn't need much range"...or "2B doesn't need a strong arm".

There is NO such thing as "too much range" or "unnecessary armstrength". It's all about preventing bases/outs/runs... and over the course of a long marathon regular season, any edge or advantage will translate into wins.

(And Ramirez, incidentally, has had his share of problems taking bad angles at balls & taking too long to get rid of the ball so far in 2012)

chisoxfanatic
06-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Was it announced that he won't be starting with the White Sox until Tuesday? I figured he would be playing tomorrow already.
I'd imagine they want to give him a chance to get his things together and get himself mentally with a new team.

It's probably best he was traded at this time. After this road trip, he can get settled in his new home, and he'll have a few "off" days after the next homestand to go back to Boston to get more stuff from wherever he had been living.

Moses_Scurry
06-24-2012, 08:48 PM
So how much were Lillibridge and Stewart owed for the rest of the season. I read that Youkilis is owed 6.6 with the Red Saux picking up 5.5. Did the Sox pick up any salary at all? I know Lilli and Stewart were pretty cheap, but were they expensive enough to cover the 1.1 million difference?

balke
06-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Slightly OT: that's another one of those common misconceptions along the lines of "1B doesn't need much range"...or "2B doesn't need a strong arm".

There is NO such thing as "too much range" or "unnecessary armstrength". It's all about preventing bases/outs/runs... and over the course of a long marathon regular season, any edge or advantage will translate into wins.

(And Ramirez, incidentally, has had his share of problems taking bad angles at balls & taking too long to get rid of the ball so far in 2012)

That's not what I was implying. My statement - this team needs someone who knows the position. They do not need a 2bman with range pretending to be a 3Bman making stupid mental mistakes and bad plays, missing balls hit straight at him. If our SS was slow with bad range I might have a different opinion.

Rounding_Third
06-24-2012, 09:06 PM
That's not what I was implying. My statement - this team needs someone who knows the position. They do not need a 2bman with range pretending to be a 3Bman making stupid mental mistakes and bad plays, missing balls hit straight at him. If our SS was slow with bad range I might have a different opinion.

Compared to 2 fine defensive 3rd basemen:

Crede g 875 F% .965 RF 2.81
Ventura g 1416 F% .960 RF na
Youkilus g 363 f% .966 RF 2.73

Sure, a lot less games but still significant. If he can find his bat, his 3rd B defense should be more than adequate.

KMcMahon817
06-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Hysterical.

A tweet from Beckham:

This reflects my sentiments exactly about @BSLillibridge leaving... http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=X0e-eLzscqQ&nomobile=1 #notcool #kidisdevastated

balke
06-24-2012, 09:13 PM

Sure, a lot less games but still significant. If he can find his bat, his 3rd B defense should be more than adequate.

I'd have no worry of Youkilis's defense normally. I'm a little worried because his injuries are back related. Regardless, he's the best option at 3B right now for the Sox.

voodoochile
06-24-2012, 09:21 PM
I'd have no worry of Youkilis's defense normally. I'm a little worried because his injuries are back related. Regardless, he's the best option at 3B right now for the Sox.

Certainly worth the risk. He cost the Sox nothing they need to compete this year and nothing they are relying on to develop for years to come. If he doesn't work out they can simply go back to Hudson.

Harry Potter
06-24-2012, 09:22 PM
So how much were Lillibridge and Stewart owed for the rest of the season. I read that Youkilis is owed 6.6 with the Red Saux picking up 5.5. Did the Sox pick up any salary at all? I know Lilli and Stewart were pretty cheap, but were they expensive enough to cover the 1.1 million difference?

Lillibridge's contract for 2012 was $500,000
Stewart was $481,500

34 Inch Stick
06-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Hysterical.

A tweet from Beckham:

This reflects my sentiments exactly about @BSLillibridge leaving... http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=X0e-eLzscqQ&nomobile=1 #notcool #kidisdevastated

The Sox PA staff should grab his last four words and play it whenever the Sox record a strike out. "Now you can go."

Frater Perdurabo
06-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Hysterical.

A tweet from Beckham:

Not funny at all. Recording your kid crying over his favorite baseball player being traded is cruel. Posting it on YouTube is abusive. I hope someone would punch me in the face if I ever did that to my son.

It's fine if Bacon is not happy, but Sox fans will be pissed off if Bacon's unhappiness affects his play.

BigHurt3515
06-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Very excited about getting Youk. Was even more excited to see what we gave up. Stewart is not going to be a good pitcher, average long reliever at best probably and Lillibridge was just a bench player who rarely started. We get an upgrade at 3rd base which is really needed. I think Youk will bat at least .250 which is way better than Hudson or Morel. He said he hasn't felt this healthy in awhile and wants to prove people wrong so hopefully old Youkilis will be back

PicktoCLick72
06-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Not funny at all. Recording your kid crying over his favorite baseball player being traded is cruel. Posting it on YouTube is abusive. I hope someone would punch me in the face if I ever did that to my son.

It's fine if Bacon is not happy, but Sox fans will be pissed off if Bacon's unhappiness affects his play.

Maybe Beckham's tweet should have been in teal.

Brian26
06-24-2012, 10:16 PM

I hate these type of videos. Parents who do this **** for laughs are douchebags.

Hopefully someday when that parent is in a nursing home pissing in his Depends with dementia, maybe the son can bring a video camera to record it and post it for the world on YouTube.

:thumbsup:

06-24-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm excited for this trade for no other reason than just to yell "YOOOUUUUK!" whenever he does something good.

DonnieDarko
06-24-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm excited for this trade for no other reason than just to yell "YOOOUUUUK!" whenever he does something good.

No. Please don't. It's annoying. -_-

Wedema
06-24-2012, 10:38 PM
It was a great day at the Ballpark with the '72 guys there, a great pitching duel, a White Sox winner, and a nice trade to cap the day. We need the help at the hot corner and did not have to give up too much to get it. Go Youk! Go Sox!

SoxandtheCityTee
06-24-2012, 10:51 PM
I hate these type of videos. Parents who do this **** for laughs are douchebags.

I agree. That was hard to watch. The little guy was distraught. How is that funny?

Zakath
06-24-2012, 11:01 PM
I agree. That was hard to watch. The little guy was distraught. How is that funny?

It'll be even funnier after his parents have to fork over the bill for his therapy sessions.

kevingrt
06-24-2012, 11:09 PM

I'm a loser like you. I love good chanting nicknames.

soxfanreggie
06-24-2012, 11:19 PM
If Brent truly did love it here, there will always be a chance to come back here to play if the Sox need a utility guy and he's a FA.

I'm excited about bringing Youkilis in. I think if he feels that he's in a better environment than Boston that it can only help his performance - who knows, maybe he hits .280 here. He may only hit .230 or .240 for us though, but that's better than we have going and he will probably play us some decent 3B too.

Adele_H
06-24-2012, 11:39 PM

I think you're overlapping a few issues here. First, there is no unique "Sox need" at 3B -- Sox need a 3B whose cumulative defensive prowess optimizes the whole "bases/outs/runs" thingie. Whether it's by hook or by crook, hardly matters.

That is to say, whether Youklis "saves" 10 runs over some arbitrary league-average benchmark/ideal for 3B position, because he is amazingly SURE-HANDED and has Robin Ventura-esque ability to anticipate, read, take angles, blablabla that compensates for limited athletic ability........ OR, whether he has young Scott Rolen arm that turns single outs into DP........or else, he nets most of his value via crazy lateral agility on both grounders and pop-ups in foul territory like young Longoria or Beltre........whatever.

Another thing, you seem to assume that if Orlando Hudson doesn't make a rangy play to his left, that the only other outcome is Superman Ramirez will swoop in and save the day deep in the hole. Unforunately, most of the time it doesn't work the way. It's more like: either Orlando Hudson utilizes the remnants of his formely excellent 2B range to stop the ball OR it goes into the LF for a base-hit. A hit. Not a Ramirez stop 10 feet into OF grass like you seem to imagine. Ramirez is good but he's not *that* good --- least of all, cuz he seems to have diminished defense in 2012.

Furthermore, a rangy 3B has another residual benefit: it allows his SS to shade more up the middle, thus take away more base-hits and even starting DP that otherwise end up juuuuuuust ever so slightly out of the SS reach with a lesser athletic 3B playing next to him.......

I agree Sox couldn't afford for Orlando Hudson to learn nuances of the hot-corner position on the job, in the midst of a pennant race. But let's be honest: Sox are acquiring Youklis in hopes he is healthy enough to regain his 900 OPS All-Star form at the plate -- and NOT for his glovework at third.

DSpivack
06-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Video was hilarious, you won't waste the 3 minutes. The food comment is accurate. Neither cuisine has much use for vegetables.

Mel G might not like Dos Equis either, based on the beer dude. :cool: I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer the green bottle to the brown.
Many people who keep kosher are vegetarians; they don't have to keep two sets of dishes at home. One of the most popular shabbat dishes is a vegetable stew called cholent (that's the name in Yiddish; it's also found across several cultures, whether in Jews from Morocco or Yemen or Israel or whatever).

LoveYourSuit
06-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Love the trade!

Especially for the amount of money we are on the hook for and how little we gave up.

Both Sewart and Lillibridge did not belong on a ML roster by how they have performed this year.

JB98
06-24-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm not a big fan of Youkilis. I'm not convinced he has much left. That said, I don't see any downside to this deal. I was really worried KW would overpay and give up one of our bullpen arms. Thankfully, he did not.

Stewart will not be missed. Lillibridge had a nice 2011, but other than that, he's struggled his whole career -- including this season. He's a good dude and all, but his production on the field can be replaced without difficulty.

And, Youkilis, well, all he has to do is be better than Hudson. That bar isn't set real high. The Sox gave up little to get him, and if he sucks, you just cut him loose at the end of the year with no hard feelings.

slavko
06-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Many people who keep kosher are vegetarians; they don't have to keep two sets of dishes at home. One of the most popular shabbat dishes is a vegetable stew called cholent (that's the name in Yiddish; it's also found across several cultures, whether in Jews from Morocco or Yemen or Israel or whatever).

I know cholent. It traditionally has meat in it. Fat meat. Any vegetable content other than beans or potatoes would be hard to discern after the long slow cooking.

balke
06-24-2012, 11:54 PM
you seem to assume that if Orlando Hudson doesn't make a rangy play to his left, that the only other outcome is Superman Ramirez will swoop in and save the day deep in the hole. Unforunately, most of the time it doesn't work the way. It's more like: either Orlando Hudson utilizes the remnants of his formely excellent 2B range to stop the ball OR it goes into the LF for a base-hit. A hit. Not a Ramirez stop 10 feet into OF grass like you seem to imagine. Ramirez is good but he's not *that* good --- least of all, cuz he seems to have diminished defense in 2012.

Furthermore, a rangy 3B has another residual benefit: it allows his SS to shade more up the middle, thus take away more base-hits and even starting DP that otherwise end up juuuuuuust ever so slightly out of the SS reach with a lesser athletic 3B playing next to him.......

I said nothing close to this. If I did let me make it clear - Hudson doesn't know how to play 3rd base, and his range doesn't make up for it.

Noone was called superman.

Adele_H
06-25-2012, 12:27 AM

No offense, but the only worse stat than Fielding % is.... Range Factor.

(For instance, AJP had like 1 error on the season but I don't know if there is a worse defensive every day catcher now that Victor Martinez is out of commission.)

Foulke You
06-25-2012, 01:04 AM
I'm not a big fan of Youkilis. I'm not convinced he has much left. That said, I don't see any downside to this deal. I was really worried KW would overpay and give up one of our bullpen arms. Thankfully, he did not.

Stewart will not be missed. Lillibridge had a nice 2011, but other than that, he's struggled his whole career -- including this season. He's a good dude and all, but his production on the field can be replaced without difficulty.

And, Youkilis, well, all he has to do is be better than Hudson. That bar isn't set real high. The Sox gave up little to get him, and if he sucks, you just cut him loose at the end of the year with no hard feelings.
There really isn't much of a downside. The Sox ranked dead last in 3B offensive production in every important category. MLB Network listed them all. Last in HRs, last in OBP, last in RBI, and last in batting avg. Cumulatively, they combine for a .168 avg with 1 HR. Youk has nowhere to go but up. It's astonishing the Sox have done this well getting only two total HRs from the left side of the infield. Youkalis should give our lineup a much different look. Kudos to KW for pulling it off without giving up much and addressing this need early rather than waiting until the deadline.

Noneck
06-25-2012, 01:21 AM

Cots is showing Sox pick up 1.12M and the club option. 2.12M is not bad at all.

tstrike2000
06-25-2012, 01:36 AM
At least be serviceable offensively and Youkilis will already be ahead of what we had. Best of luck to Brent, he was great for a good portion of 2011 but has just lost his mojo at the plate this year. I wish Stewart well, but very glad we will not have to see him give up anymore rockets and home runs.

HeGone49
06-25-2012, 01:56 AM
I really like this trade because he doesnt have to do much to do better than what we had thrown out there at 3B every day. Plus, there is a small chance he could rebound and really help the team, which is always a great thing to me. :thumbsup:

:Rocker: <- Me once I seen the news on ESPN

IronFisk
06-25-2012, 02:05 AM
I like it...can't hurt compared to what we have.

Adele_H
06-25-2012, 04:26 AM
Being of Greek ancestry, when Youk first came up I was curious about him because In my 66 years I never ran into a Greek named Kevin, so I googled him and found out about his Romanian roots. I'm OK with calling him a Greek God, there aren't too many of us left.

Greek God of Default?

Too soon? :?:

KMcMahon817
06-25-2012, 04:47 AM

hahaha really? I thought it was kind of funny. Definitely a douche bag move, but still funny.

As for Beckham, if this affects his game he's got much more serious problems. I hope that was said in jest.

WhiteSox5187
06-25-2012, 05:52 AM
hahaha really? I thought it was kind of funny. Definitely a douche bag move, but still funny.

As for Beckham, if this affects his game he's got much more serious problems. I hope that was said in jest.

I think it was clearly a case of a guy who is going to miss his friend. There are lots of cases of guys being upset about being traded or seeing one of their friends traded.

LITTLE NELL
06-25-2012, 06:43 AM
That poor kid crying because the Sox traded his favorite player, I did the same thing when the Sox traded Nellie Fox and I was almost 18 years old.

balke
06-25-2012, 08:15 AM
If Youkilis can rebound his hitting a bit this lineup becomes deadly. (If he's hitting that well I'd see him at #2) The top of the order is going to wear out a lot of starters by taking pitches and walking. Konerko will do the same or drive them in on the first pitch.

Pretty excited about this move just because I don't think Youk is done at the plate. With everyday playing time and something to prove - I could see him doing some damage. I was optimistic about Griffey too though... so we'll see.

SCCWS
06-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Not sure I have seen this written yet. Red Sox saw that Stewart has a major reduction in his velocity (91-90) when he started over when he came in from the pen (95). They are considering him a starter prospect for the time being and think his arm strength needs developing.

SCCWS
06-25-2012, 08:45 AM

No. I assumed it would take him a day to get organized. But he may want to be in the lineup tonight.

dakuda
06-25-2012, 09:25 AM
No. I assumed it would take him a day to get organized. But he may want to be in the lineup tonight.

During one of the updates this morning on WSCR, they mentioned that he will start tonight at 3B.

It also says the same thing in the second paragraph here: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_06_25_chamlb_minmlb_1&mode=preview&vkey=preview_web_away&c_id=cws

Hitmen77
06-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Good move by KW.

I liked what Lillibridge did last year, but that may very well have been his peak year and he hasn't looked all that good at the plate this year.

I don't think Stewart was going to amount to much. He and 2 months of Jason Frasor are all we got for Edwin Jackson because Kenny Williams also got Toronto to eat the awful contract extension he gave to Mark Teahen.

Cots is showing Sox pick up 1.12M and the club option. 2.12M is not bad at all.

:KW
Not bad? Speak for yourself. This move to acquire an all-star third baseman really stretches our budget past the breaking point. I hope Sox fans realize this and will finally start showing their support at the gate.

I said nothing close to this. If I did let me make it clear - Hudson doesn't know how to play 3rd base, and his range doesn't make up for it.

Noone was called superman.

http://celebslists.com/images/peter-noone-01.jpg
I was? Cool! :superman:

KMcMahon817
06-25-2012, 09:48 AM
I think it was clearly a case of a guy who is going to miss his friend. There are lots of cases of guys being upset about being traded or seeing one of their friends traded.

I realize why Beckham said it.

I was referring to what Frater said when he suggested that this trade might actually affect Beckham's play on the field.

veeter
06-25-2012, 10:14 AM
That poor kid crying because the Sox traded his favorite player, I did the same thing when the Sox traded Nellie Fox and I was almost 18 years old.Don't blame you. Baseball gets into your soul. Great trade, a veteran down the stretch will be huge.

asindc
06-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Apparently, the consensus over at sonsofsamhorn is that the Sox got a steal here with Youkilis and having Boston pay most of his salary. No one there seems impressed with Stewart (how could they be?) and are banking on the 'Bridge to duplicate his 2011 numbers. One of the posters said, "Kenny Williams does it again."

By the way, overlooked in the discussion of the trade itself is Hudson's professional reaction to it. He basically said that he would have made the move as well, given his performance so far: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120624&content_id=33859202&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

soxinem1
06-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Two things with this trade:

1. Youkilis' OBP alone will be worth it over the K's from Morel and the pop-ups from Hudson. Honestly, I'm not sure where he goes in the lineup, but it sure looks better than having an automatic out in the 8-9 spots.

2. KW told DET and CLE he thinks the White Sox can win the AL Central.

ChiSoxGal85
06-25-2012, 11:32 AM
When the trade was announced, I immediately thought of this photo posted on MLB's Facebook page in May of last year. It took me a little while to find it. Some of the captions are hilarious.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150207570472451&set=a.186661577450.125421.5768707450&type=1 (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150207570472451&set=a.186661577450.125421.5768707450&type=1)

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Two things with this trade:

1. Youkilis' OBP alone will be worth it over the K's from Morel and the pop-ups from Hudson. Honestly, I'm not sure where he goes in the lineup, but it sure looks better than having an automatic out in the 8-9 spots.

2. KW told DET and CLE he thinks the White Sox can win the AL Central.
Not to mention Youkilis also is a defensive upgrade. He can make better throws to first than Hudson, and his decision-making will be much more sound (i.e. he won't touch a ball that is about to foul along the base line, causing a spat with AJ).

Foulke You
06-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Not to mention Youkilis also is a defensive upgrade. He can make better throws to first than Hudson, and his decision-making will be much more sound (i.e. he won't touch a ball that is about to foul along the base line, causing a spat with AJ).
They had a Boston beat writer on ESPN 1000 this morning who pretty much said the same thing. He said that Youk has good hands and will catch anything hit at him, good instincts, and an accurate throwing arm. He did make mention that he doesn't have the range he once did but he will certainly be an upgrade over Hudson on defense.

Foulke You
06-25-2012, 11:49 AM
During one of the updates this morning on WSCR, they mentioned that he will start tonight at 3B.

It also says the same thing in the second paragraph here: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_06_25_chamlb_minmlb_1&mode=preview&vkey=preview_web_away&c_id=cws
Will Jordan Danks give up his #20? Youk has worn that number his whole career. This is important news for people who want to update their old Garland jerseys.:tongue:

#1swisher
06-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Will Jordan Danks give up his #20? Youk has worn that number his whole career. This is important news for people who want to update their old Garland jerseys.:tongue:

On the White Sox official site, MLB has the Youkilis "20" Jersey.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=cws

#1swisher
06-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Mark Gonzales

Jordan Danks gives Youkilis No. 20, will now wear No. 7

guillensdisciple
06-25-2012, 12:37 PM
I like it, low risk high reward type trade and he'll be much more productive than our current options.

gobears1987
06-25-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm late to the party here having been away the last half week or so, but I love this trade. :bandance:

thomas35forever
06-25-2012, 02:11 PM
We desperately need a bat with the offense struggling right now. Plus, since we didn't have to give up much to get Youkilis, I'm not going to complain about this. Hope this leads to some great things for us in the coming weeks and months.

wassagstdu
06-25-2012, 02:22 PM
I like Youkilis. He is an Erstad-type grinder who will add to the pantheon of greats who have played for the Sox recently: Griffey, Manny, Andruw, ... And he gets KW one step closer to our goal of a lineup of 9 1B/DH types.

Honestly, I will of course be delighted if Youkilis succeeds with the WSox, but I think the Sox could have gotten a lot more out of Lillibridge this year, in trade and on the field. I won't be surprised if he surprises everyone and makes this trade look real bad in a couple of years. I doubt that he will stay long in Boston though -- maybe long enough to learn something from Pedroia.

asindc
06-25-2012, 02:32 PM
I like Youkilis. He is an Erstad-type grinder who will add to the pantheon of greats who have played for the Sox recently: Griffey, Manny, Andruw, ... And he gets KW one step closer to our goal of a lineup of 9 1B/DH types.

Honestly, I will of course be delighted if Youkilis succeeds with the WSox, but I think the Sox could have gotten a lot more out of Lillibridge this year, in trade and on the field. I won't be surprised if he surprises everyone and makes this trade look real bad in a couple of years. I doubt that he will stay long in Boston though -- maybe long enough to learn something from Pedroia.

Posting while drinking can be dangerous. I advise against it.

soxnut1018
06-25-2012, 02:33 PM

You don't know a lot about Kevin Youkilis, do you?

ChiSoxFann
06-25-2012, 02:34 PM

Lillibridge is a nice player for a team who can play a ton of positions, but I think you're overestimating his value. It's worth a shot to pick up Youkilis for what we did and I doubt either side will look back on this trade much in a few years. Boston has Middlebrooks and we have a hole at 3B and I doubt Lillibridge and Stewart will be on the Red Sox this time next year just as I doubt Youkilis will be here next year.

Adele_H
06-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Not sure I have seen this written yet. Red Sox saw that Stewart has a major reduction in his velocity (91-90) when he started over when he came in from the pen (95). They are considering him a starter prospect for the time being and think his arm strength needs developing.

Zach Stewart was throwing 90 mph as a RELIEVER and 88 mph as a starter. Occasionally he'd huff and puff and hit 91-92 as a reliever -- and the ball would still be promptly hit 430 feet.

In other words, in 2012 he was nowhere near 95 mph. I don't know what Boston saw. They must be reading the glowing scouting reports from Toronto circa 2010. Those apparently have as much value as "Jeff Marquez 92-95 sinker, devastating breaking ball and a Pedro Martinez change-up" draft-time nonsense in the Yankee system that KW apparently was mesmerized by, LOL the real Jeff Marquez barely cracked 90, fastball was string-straight, change-up floated and breaking ball nothing remotely special. Had elbow surgery within a year and that's all she wrote....

And this is considering that both stadium and TV guns (including WGN, FOX) are at least 1-2 mph "hot" or too fast. So Stewart's 92 is really closer to old-school 90.

(Which is still better than the hilarious Hoover Met gun readings for Sox AA affiliate. Gregory Infante clocked at 102-103 mph. Still recall our poster Rdivaldi boasting how when he saw him Aaron Poreda was sitting at 99 mph with heavy sink and wicked slider, pinpoint control. Uh, except when ol' Poreda pants got to the Sox, he was 92-94 with a cement-mixer spinner and no control. Mercy!)

what the foulke?
06-25-2012, 03:50 PM
When your looking for a new job go to a place where the person your following has done a crappy job no matter how bad you are change is an improvement. Hudson batting .170, .247 obp enough said.

Youkilis is reported as batting .233 with a .315 obp.

Like Stoney said on the Score this morning,"Even if you make your team 1% better it adds up in the long run."

If he likes this trade, I like it even more.

Danielgosox38
06-25-2012, 05:00 PM
So do you all think Hudson will be dfa'd now?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-25-2012, 05:03 PM

He'll probably just be a utility guy now.

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Not at least until Morel is back, which probably won't be for at least another month and a half.

SOXSINCE'70
06-25-2012, 06:19 PM
He'll probably just be a utility guy now.

Which was what he was supposed to be all along,IIRC.

SOXSINCE'70
06-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Not at least until Morel is back, which probably won't be for at least another month and a half.

Back issues are very fickle things,speaking as a 50 year old who has been there before.Hope Morel can come back,
but if the Sox have to shut him down for the season,and he is close to 100 % in 2013,so be it.Just be grateful Youkilis
is on this team,even if the Sox only improve slightly.

SOXSINCE'70
06-25-2012, 06:27 PM
(Which is still better than the hilarious Hoover Met gun readings for Sox AA affiliate. Gregory Infante clocked at 102-103 mph. Still recall our poster Rdivaldi boasting how when he saw him Aaron Poreda was sitting at 99 mph with heavy sink and wicked slider, pinpoint control. Uh, except when ol' Poreda pants got to the Sox, he was 92-94 with a cement-mixer spinner and no control. Mercy!)

:hawk

"I believe you forgot 'Stretch!Get on back there.' ":D:

"MERCY!"

ChiTownTrojan
06-25-2012, 06:30 PM

Hudson is more valuable to the team than Morel. Offensively they're pretty much a wash, but at least Hudson can play multiple positions. There's no reason to have a backup that can't hit and only plays one position. Morel will probably come up when the rosters expand, as a defensive replacement.

SOXSINCE'70
06-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Our long national nightmare is over.

Matt Thornton and Will Ohman got traded??:D::roflmao::roflmao:

ChiTownTrojan
06-25-2012, 06:40 PM
A couple points on the trade, that I haven't really seen mentioned yet:

1. Acquiring Youk, a "name brand" player from one of those east coast teams, will likely cause a spike in attendance. I'm sure that factored into JR's willingness to sign off on this deal, even if it adds a bit to the payroll. On the other hand, I don't think this in any way signifies that we will be "buyers" at the deadline.

2. Even if Youk comes in and only hits .250 with mediocre power, this is still a huge win for the Sox. Think about what the Sox have been throwing out there so far this year, and then think about how many more hits, HR's, walks, RBI's, etc. that Youk will provide, even in a down year. I'm too lazy to do the research, but it's probably about the same as it would be to replace a league average 3B with Evan Longoria.

kittle42
06-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Acquiring Youk, a "name brand" player from one of those east coast teams, will likely cause a spike in attendance.

100% no.

Jeter? Rodriguez? Sure. Youkilis?!

ChiTownTrojan
06-25-2012, 07:14 PM
100% no.

Jeter? Rodriguez? Sure. Youkilis?!

Have you turned on ESPN at any point in the past 24 hours? Yes, the trade seems to be generating a little bit of buzz.

anewman35
06-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Have you turned on ESPN at any point in the past 24 hours? Yes, the trade seems to be generating a little bit of buzz.

There's buzz because it involves the Red Sox. I really can't see the White Sox selling a whole lot more tickets just because we upgraded a horrible third base situation to a (hopefully) decent one.

balke
06-25-2012, 07:35 PM
There's buzz because it involves the Red Sox. I really can't see the White Sox selling a whole lot more tickets just because we upgraded a horrible third base situation to a (hopefully) decent one.

I think this is a bigger move than people make it out to be. Defense at 3B is upgraded along with offense. A detrimental bat was taken out of the lineup completely. This lineup has Konerko who has the best batting average and OBP in the AL and Dunn who is the best homerun hitter in the AL seeing the most pitches per plate appearance in major league baseball.

Now the guy in the 2 hole is another guy who has a good record of walks/avg./obp. Rios/Viciedo/AJ all having good years behind them.

Peavy Quintana and Sale are 3 of the best starters in the league right now and John Danks is on his way back in a few weeks.

This team has a LOT going for it right now and filling the black hole at 3B is going to be a big boost to what the Sox are trying to accomplish.

palehozenychicty
06-25-2012, 08:10 PM
I think this is a bigger move than people make it out to be. Defense at 3B is upgraded along with offense. A detrimental bat was taken out of the lineup completely. This lineup has Konerko who has the best batting average and OBP in the AL and Dunn who is the best homerun hitter in the AL seeing the most pitches per plate appearance in major league baseball.

Now the guy in the 2 hole is another guy who has a good record of walks/avg./obp. Rios/Viciedo/AJ all having good years behind them.

Peavy Quintana and Sale are 3 of the best starters in the league right now and John Danks is on his way back in a few weeks.

This team has a LOT going for it right now and filling the black hole at 3B is going to be a big boost to what the Sox are trying to accomplish.

The move will be huge if Youk can stay healthy. He is looking to get one more multiyear deal.

We also need the end of our rotation to stabilize.

slavko
06-25-2012, 10:44 PM

I don't think you're the poster who claimed attendance was the reason for hiring Robin. Or maybe you are.

ChiTownTrojan
06-26-2012, 12:32 AM
I don't think you're the poster who claimed attendance was the reason for hiring Robin. Or maybe you are.

No, that wasn't me, that's just idiotic.

Maybe I'm being misunderstood. I don't think that attendance was the main reason for this trade. I think it's a good baseball trade regardless of anything else. But I have noticed that Reinsdorf has a history of being more willing to increase payroll when he thinks he will get something back in return for it. I'm pretty sure this line of thinking was behind some of the late-season acquisitions in the past few years (like Griffey and Manny). I don't think there's anything wrong with this strategy, really it's just good business. It's just an observation.

Obviously this wasn't a huge hike in payroll with this trade, but I do believe that this point was probably brought up between KW and JR before they pulled the trigger. KW hinted as much in his comments after the trade, emphasizing that the trade made sense financially for the team.

On the flip side, I don't think that this means that we will be "buyers" at the deadline this year. Any additional trades will have to make sense for the team financially, as well.

hawkjt
06-26-2012, 01:21 AM
I've seen a few transplanted Bostonians who live in Chicago say on message boards they will be coming out to more Sox games with Youk at third.
I think a few more Red Sox fans will be tripping to Chicago later in the summer also.

But, the team has to stay around first for any real boost...if that happens,I think fans will come....and Youk might be part of that.