PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6-22 Sale brews; bats snooze, Sox lose, MIL 1 SOX 0 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Would Youkilis have helped tonight?

guillensdisciple
06-22-2012, 09:42 PM
We suck.

DirtySox
06-22-2012, 09:44 PM

Probably not.

JB98
06-22-2012, 09:46 PM
1. The Sox never got a runner to second base in 10 innings tonight.
2. The Sox stink in extra inning games, especially at home. It's been an issue for four years now. 1-5 in extras this season.
3. Over the last nine days, the Sox have lost two 1-0 games and two 2-1 games. That's some good pitching gone to waste.
4. The Sox haven't won two games in a row since their nine-game winning streak ended on June 2.
5. 5-11 in the last 16 games, mostly against NL foes. Disappointing.

TaylorStSox
Tough loss. Return of the GIDPK. Chris Sale is nasty.

Dick Allen
That's 4 times in the last 9 days that a great performance by a starting pitcher has gone down the toilet. **** this team.

Every time a man got on base tonight, there was an immediate GIDP. **** this team.

I'm glad I haven't paid to watch this crap. **** this team.

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2012, 09:47 PM
If they are going to tank, please do so now before KW overpays from our bare cupboard for an aging, injured, declining hitter.

Sale deserved better.

Hitmen77
06-22-2012, 09:51 PM
2. The Sox stink in extra inning games, especially at home. It's been an issue for four years now. 1-5 in extras this season.
3. Over the last nine days, the Sox have lost two 1-0 games and two 2-1 games. That's some good pitching gone to waste.
4. The Sox haven't won two games in a row since their nine-game winning streak ended on June 2.

That two week stretch ending on June 2 is looking more and more like a huge aberration for the 2012 White Sox.

Damn it, why aren't fans showing up to see a winning team?! Appreciate the game!

Soxman219
06-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Classic White Sox baseball. Never get the big hits when the pitching is good and never getting anyone out when the offense is good.

We are the DEFINITION of mediocre.

SoxSpeed22
06-22-2012, 09:56 PM
I was okay with benching Viciedo after grounding into that double play. He really needs to learn how to anticipate pitchers better. We all knew Grienke was going to throw a breaking ball in that 8th inning at bat.

Quentin08
06-22-2012, 09:57 PM
At least the AL Central is mediocre as well. The only team that scares me in our division is the Sox.

TaylorStSox
06-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Well, on the bright side, I've thought we should be sellers and the guys that we should sell are having good years. If you would have told me before the year that Peavy, Rios and Dunn would be movable, I would have called the year a success. With that said, I'd much rather be good.

JB98
06-22-2012, 10:01 PM
That two week stretch ending on June 2 is looking more and more like a huge aberration for the 2012 White Sox.

Damn it, why aren't fans showing up to see a winning team?! Appreciate the game!

Yeah, this team had a 13-1 stretch. That means they are 23-33 aside from that two-week tear. Fifty-six games is a bigger sample size than 14 games. It's hard not to be skeptical right now.

Another problem with this team is they generally stink in one-run games -- 7-11 on the year now. The computer models project the Sox as a division winner, but much of that is based on run differential. The Sox had two weeks where they beat the piss out of everybody, so that one stretch skewed those numbers.

Adele_H
06-22-2012, 10:05 PM

Dang, can't believe this board is still kicking strong, lulz. The incompetent fraud Greasy McTourettes a.k.a Guillen is no longer around, what a breathe of relief with Robin, no wonder the team is competing despite Danks and Humber arms falling off in part misuse during previous regime.....But I digress.

Frater, to answer your question... NO. Youklis most likely would NOT have helped.

You see, Youklis 3-4 years ago was a mid-900 OPS guy. Would have been a welcome addition to any line-up. Unfortunately, today in 2012 Youk is broken down, 700 OPS guy whose would have terrible range at 3B ---- if you thought Orlando Hudson is a liablity, Youk would get eaten alive there and probably would get hurt while doing that.

Didn't like half of Youk's RBI total on the season come from literally 1 swing against the Sox? LOL.

Couple that with his salary and the prospects Sox would lose......... not worth it IMO. With Sox revenues being a dissapointement with year supposedly... if Reinsdorf is still willing to open up a wallet at the trade deadline, there are a couple much more worthy acquisitions I could think of.

JB98
06-22-2012, 10:06 PM
I was okay with benching Viciedo after grounding into that double play. He really needs to learn how to anticipate pitchers better. We all knew Grienke was going to throw a breaking ball in that 8th inning at bat.

Konerko took the same bait in the 10th.

Axford had grabbed a strike with a first-pitch breaking ball to Dunn right before that, too. Paulie is normally smart enough to go to school on that, but it looked like he had his mind made up he was going to swing at the first pitch no matter what. The result, a game-ending GIDP.

Lots of Sox hitters getting themselves out right now.

SoxSpeed22
06-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Well, on the bright side, I've thought we should be sellers and the guys that we should sell are having good years. If you would have told me before the year that Peavy, Rios and Dunn would be movable, I would have called the year a success. With that said, I'd much rather be good.I'm on the same boat, at least with Peavy. I don't really think Dunn is movable, being a DH with a .223 BA, home runs or not.
We might get lucky and be able to move Rios this offseason or next, depending a lot on Jared Mitchell's progress. At least the farm system is showing some signs of life, compared to before.

Lip Man 1
06-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Offense has gone back into suck-mode.

3rd 1-0 loss already this season...
10th loss where the Sox held an opponent to three runs or less...
1-5 in extra inning games this year...

The Sox are blowing golden pitching performances left and right, and with the state of the staff they can not afford to do these things...

Unbelievable.

Lip

Dan H
06-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Another one run loss. Another extra inning loss. Why am I not surprised?

tstrike2000
06-22-2012, 10:38 PM
During this stretch, if we face the other team's ace, we have no chance.

chisoxfanatic
06-22-2012, 10:40 PM
And, here, I was thinking to myself three weeks ago "Gee, we're clicking on all cylinders and heading into interleague play now. The Sox always do well in interleague play. Things are looking up for this team!" Was I SO wrong in my thinking three weeks ago!

RKMeibalane
06-22-2012, 10:46 PM

Barnum may have. :cool:

Teal is implied here.

TheOldRoman
06-22-2012, 10:58 PM

Axford had grabbed a strike with a first-pitch breaking ball to Dunn right before that, too. Paulie is normally smart enough to go to school on that, but it looked like he had his mind made up he was going to swing at the first pitch no matter what. The result, a game-ending GIDP.

Lots of Sox hitters getting themselves out right now.And that's the second time in a week that Konerko had a terrible, first pitch half-swing and hit a weak grounder to third for a game-ending double play. He has hit some meaningless singles in the last month to keep his average up, but he has been really bad for three weeks now.

Adele_H
06-22-2012, 11:23 PM
And, here, I was thinking to myself three weeks ago "Gee, we're clicking on all cylinders and heading into interleague play now. The Sox always do well in interleague play. Things are looking up for this team!" Was I SO wrong in my thinking three weeks ago!

That's the beauty and also the frustrating part of this game. There is NO way Sox can sweep Tampa in their house where Rays were unbeatable...and then turn around and get smoked at home by the Astros --- playing without Ex-Mr. Heather Lee :tongue:

Not to mention... going back to when Blithering Ozziot was running the team, Sox had a (perceived) tendency to PLAY DOWN to the level of competition. So it's not surprising they haven't taken advantage of what at least on paper looked like the easiest part of the season schedule.

DSpivack
06-22-2012, 11:56 PM
I'm on the same boat, at least with Peavy. I don't really think Dunn is movable, being a DH with a .223 BA, home runs or not.
We might get lucky and be able to move Rios this offseason or next, depending a lot on Jared Mitchell's progress. At least the farm system is showing some signs of life, compared to before.

And this is why batting average isn't always the best stat to use. .223 batting average for Dunn...as well as 23 HRs and 53 RBIs, a .368 OBP and a .915 OPS. He's on pace for 53 HRs and 123 RBIs. If a team is looking for a slugger at the deadline, I can't think of many better candidates who will be available.

StillMissOzzie
06-23-2012, 12:31 AM

From my brain to your keystrokes, on both counts.

The winning streak is sure looking like more of a fluke than the current string of lost series against what should have been a soft spot in the schedule.

Especially aggravating when the Sox, publicly pissing and moaning about low attendance, had a golden opportunity to snap up the casual fans who have been withholding their commitment, with their hearts and dollars and their asses in the seats, after such low expectations to start the season and then sprinting to 1st place. I am beginning to think that we have already seen the best of this season, especially with all of this wasted great starting pitching.

SMO
:mad::angry:

Foulke You
06-23-2012, 12:49 AM

Lots of Sox hitters getting themselves out right now.

Konerko has a tendency to expand his strike zone when the team is struggling to score runs. Frank Thomas used to do it too. I think Paulie is trying to do too much and is putting himself into a funk.

Tonight might have been our worst offensive night of the season. We had a two inning stretch in the middle of the game where we hit the ball hard right at guys. Other than that, we never came close to looking like we could score a run. Remember when the Sox used to walk teams off? I feel like that is such a novelty now. We must have the fewest walk off wins in MLB the last few years.

pmck003
06-23-2012, 01:13 AM
Tell me four months ago that the Sox are 1.5 games out of first and dominating the runs scored differential in the AL central at June 22nd, 2012 and I'd throw down without thinking.

Sale proved he is tough enough bouncing back from a rough start. I thought there was decent contact but nothing was landing vs. a top 15 pitcher in Greinke. Sox have laid a couple stinkers (Zach attack) but I've seen more poor luck type things over the last three weeks ; will see if Robin keeps them playing/improves the team tofull potential.

Improvement needed to win: Ramirez, Beckham, 3b, Axelrod/5sp. Give me two Utah.

Can De Aza keep it up? Quintana?

SoxSpeed22
06-23-2012, 01:32 AM
And this is why batting average isn't always the best stat to use. .223 batting average for Dunn...as well as 23 HRs and 53 RBIs, a .368 OBP and a .915 OPS. He's on pace for 53 HRs and 123 RBIs. If a team is looking for a slugger at the deadline, I can't think of many better candidates who will be available.Maybe, but I doubt teams would like his contract.

hawkjt
06-23-2012, 01:42 AM
Since Rios's hot streak vs the Dodgers, nobody is hitting well at this point. I guess that is the payback for everyone hitting good thru the 14-2 streak. Better to have half be hot,and half be cold,then maybe we never go all or nothing funks.

We have had bad luck in our aces,(Sale,Peavy,Quintana) have faced the other teams good pitchers,and with our offense,our aces cannot pitch well enough...read shutouts,to win.

Better for our aces to face their 4th and 5th guys...we will not beat their aces anyway.

We did hit into some bad luck tonite...AJ's liner could have changed the game if not caught. And in the 10th that ump totally screwed Dunn with that inside off the plate strike...why do they miss a pitch so blatantly in such a big situation? All nite, fine,but just then? Sox do get some hittable pitchers the next two...must wins!

Adele_H
06-23-2012, 02:03 AM
Konerko has a tendency to expand his strike zone when the team is struggling to score runs. Frank Thomas used to do it too. I think Paulie is trying to do too much and is putting himself into a funk.

Tonight might have been our worst offensive night of the season. We had a two inning stretch in the middle of the game where we hit the ball hard right at guys. Other than that, we never came close to looking like we could score a run. Remember when the Sox used to walk teams off? I feel like that is such a novelty now. We must have the fewest walk off wins in MLB the last few years.

I want to be mad at Konerko GIDP ending the game, but then I think and realize that he is a victim of unrealistic expectations.

Think about it: the man was hitting .399 with near 1100 OPS in June ----- just mere days after coming to within a couple millimeters of LOSING HIS EYE, with career being over.

Did I mention he just had a freakin' wrist surgery? At age 36? After a career-worth of all kinds of injuries, minor and not so minor, genetic, arthritic, imaginary, what have you....... Heck, he had barely gotten over another bout of stiff-neck just in May.......

And he doesn't have steroirds & various stimulants like "decaf" coffee to fall back on when the going gets rough -- like so many veteran players of years past (especially in 90s and 2000s).

Likewise, Rios, Dunn, Peavy have met and exceeded pre-season expectations set out for them so there is not much to be said there. Do I wish Dunn would shorten his swing with 2 strikes when he faces a power-closer with the game on the line? Yes, I do -- because even a "compact-swing" Dunn can hit a 400 HR to opposite field in a lively ballpark like the Cell ------ and he sure as heck stands a better chance not stiking out with a compact swing with 2 strikes..... But hey, we can't have everything. Dunn is not Jim Thome. He is not a *thinker* like that, so for now we'll just have to live with 950 OPS and 220 strike-outs, LOL.

I am much more mad at Alexei and Orlando Hudson giving AB after AB after AB away and not paying attention in the field at times. Unlike Dunn, they don't hit a 3-run HR to make up for their other failings.

edited to add: Crain was not called 'Crain-wreck' by Minnesota fans for a reason. Overall is good, but when push comes the shove.... he throws Ricky Weeks and Aramis Ramirez Billy-Koch style straight-as-arrow fastballs RIGHT in their wheelhouse thigh-high middle-in in a key moment. With 2 strikes on Weeks and first 2 bases open. Genius!

thomas35forever
06-23-2012, 02:19 AM
Might have preferred a 10-0 loss to this. These types of games will haunt us in the stretch run.

kufram
06-23-2012, 07:21 AM
So many night games of late so I have seen little during this poor stretch but there are more positives than negatives still.

1 1/2 games out of first place even after a prolonged slump. All of our albatross players from last year are showing high value. A couple of young players, Danks and Quintana, showing some promise on the big league squad. We have two bona fide aces.

Some things have got to come together, no doubt, but there is every chance the slump will be broken and we'll score some runs again.

Losing 1-0 to a great pitcher? No disgrace in that. This loss will mean exactly the same thing as every other loss we suffer.... 10-0, 1-0? No difference at the end of the year.

At least I get to watch on Sunday.

slavko
06-23-2012, 07:54 AM
And that's the second time in a week that Konerko had a terrible, first pitch half-swing and hit a weak grounder to third for a game-ending double play. He has hit some meaningless singles in the last month to keep his average up, but he has been really bad for three weeks now.

I thought those 6 week slumps where he tried to pull outside pitches and grounded everything to SS were a thing of the past but maybe not. We were ecstatic about Manto during the team's hot streak. Who do we blame now?

kufram
06-23-2012, 08:38 AM
I thought those 6 week slumps where he tried to pull outside pitches and grounded everything to SS were a thing of the past but maybe not. We were ecstatic about Manto during the team's hot streak. Who do we blame now?

It isn't absolutely necessary to blame anyone. Konerko certainly won't be looking for blame. Slumps and poor play will never be a thing of the past.... for any team. Take the loss on the chin. The season didn't end last night.... by a long way.

hawkjt
06-23-2012, 10:56 AM
PK just does not look like he is swinging with complete freedom like back in April and May. He certainly has had a drop off in power since the wrist ailment popped up. Damn shame. He is the one guy who can hit really good pitchers. Sox simply do not have a lot of hitters that can beat top shelf pitching...been that way forever,it seems...simply not enough really talented hitters.

Greinke has been giving up hits,especially on the road, all season. So, not quite ready to just tip the hat. Was he really that good last nite? I do not think so.
Sox need a couple of Starlin Castro type of roll out of bed and hit guys.

DeAza is the key. He has really cooled off. Maybe that was inevitable. He was playing and hitting out of gourd there for awhile. He has not squared up a ball for power in over a month...those early 4 homers were just early season strength,I guess.

Alexei is a mystery at the plate. He can get insanely hot like in the past and still bring his average up,but the power seems to be missing for good. The RBIs are good tho.

Just frustrated with this whole NL stretch...7-9 does not cut it when it should be at minimum 10-6. Please win the next two and get to .500,Sox.

On the pitching, the Sox moves lately have just backfired. If they had gone ahead with Peavy on Monday,they probably win that game as the Sox scored plenty. Gavin on Tuesday gives them a chance and Sale on wednesday might give them a sweep of the Cubs. Then on Friday, Stewart gets blown out as Greinke shuts down the Sox...then Quintana gives them a good chance to win on Sat. with Peavy a great chance to win on Sun.....so they have a 4-2 or 5-1 week instead of maybe 2-4. They have wasted so many good pitching performances lately vs other teams aces like Lynn of the Cards and vs the Jays.

Jesse Crain has had a disappointing season overall. Hurt,and then blown opportunities. That wild pitch cost the Sox the game,probably. If Hudson is playing back,he snabs that shot by the Brewer and Morgan dies on third eventually.
The clutchness of this team has gone MIA....for both pitchers and hitters...

kittle42
06-23-2012, 11:59 AM
I'm back into barely care mode. I feel like they're 10 under .500.

Moses_Scurry
06-23-2012, 12:15 PM

Maybe things will pick back up after interleague is over. It's a Bizarro season!

rjdmichjr
06-23-2012, 12:38 PM
I am not suprised some of you are not blaming Ozzie....

MetroPD
06-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Greinke has games like this. If it was against any of the other horrendous pitchers we have faced in the last 10 games, I would be more than a bit concerned. While there is no doubt our bats are falling off quite a bit, doing so against Greinke is not unheard of.

Adele_H
06-23-2012, 02:49 PM
PK just does not look like he is swinging with complete freedom like back in April and May. He certainly has had a drop off in power since the wrist ailment popped up. Damn shame. He is the one guy who can hit really good pitchers. Sox simply do not have a lot of hitters that can beat top shelf pitching...been that way forever,it seems...simply not enough really talented hitters.

Greinke has been giving up hits,especially on the road, all season. So, not quite ready to just tip the hat. Was he really that good last nite? I do not think so.
Sox need a couple of Starlin Castro type of roll out of bed and hit guys.

DeAza is the key. He has really cooled off. Maybe that was inevitable. He was playing and hitting out of gourd there for awhile. He has not squared up a ball for power in over a month...those early 4 homers were just early season strength,I guess.

Alexei is a mystery at the plate. He can get insanely hot like in the past and still bring his average up,but the power seems to be missing for good. The RBIs are good tho.

Just frustrated with this whole NL stretch...7-9 does not cut it when it should be at minimum 10-6. Please win the next two and get to .500,Sox.

On the pitching, the Sox moves lately have just backfired. If they had gone ahead with Peavy on Monday,they probably win that game as the Sox scored plenty. Gavin on Tuesday gives them a chance and Sale on wednesday might give them a sweep of the Cubs. Then on Friday, Stewart gets blown out as Greinke shuts down the Sox...then Quintana gives them a good chance to win on Sat. with Peavy a great chance to win on Sun.....so they have a 4-2 or 5-1 week instead of maybe 2-4. They have wasted so many good pitching performances lately vs other teams aces like Lynn of the Cards and vs the Jays.

Jesse Crain has had a disappointing season overall. Hurt,and then blown opportunities. That wild pitch cost the Sox the game,probably. If Hudson is playing back,he snabs that shot by the Brewer and Morgan dies on third eventually.
The clutchness of this team has gone MIA....for both pitchers and hitters...

See, with De Aza.... it's actually part of the problem. He is trying too hard to DRIVE the ball like he did in April -- as opposed to refine his OBP skills like he did for most of June. Ok, I can see him going for it on 2-0/3-1 count, but he's been lifting harmless towering pop-ups to LF on 0-2/1-2 lately which is unacceptable and one of the reasons Sox could not put sustained rallies together against Cubs or Brewers.

(It's no coincidence that when he did act as a spark-plug in the first game against the Cardinals or last game against the Cubs on Wed, Sox smoked those fools.)

De Aza needs to remembe that he is NOT a HR hitter. His job #1, 2 and 3 is to GET ON BASE for Dunn, Konerko, Rios....to force the opposing pitcher to pitch from the stretch which most pitchers do not like including our very own Floyd, Humber and Peavy........ to force opposing defense to come in DP depth, hold De Aza close at 1st, thus opening up a big hole on the right side of the infield. His mere presence at 1B distracts the opposing defense and probably influences the pitch selection to Beckham, as well. Win-win scenario.

pmck003
06-24-2012, 01:31 AM
Day late but how was anyone expecting a Cardinal - Dodger Road series to be an easy part of the schedule?

Adele_H
06-24-2012, 03:33 AM
Day late but how was anyone expecting a Cardinal - Dodger Road series to be an easy part of the schedule?

I dunno maybe because after hearing Hawk incessantly point how how dominant Sox are against NL lately.... only 2nd to Yankees, only 2nd to the Bronx Bombers you hear?!.......it was hard no to get psyched.

Not to mention, having shellacked the Cards in Game 1..... only to repeatedly strand tying and winning run at 3rd base with no outs in Game 2.....and facing 55-year old Jake Westbrook in Game 3 while St.Loius was without Carlos Beltran......

Dodgers? No Matt Kemp. The great Jerry Hairston, Jr batting clean-up. Sox put up 10 runs against Kershaw, Billingsley, plus several hard-outs against their best pitchers....... only to see the Sox potential sweep slip away, why? Because Orlando Hudson can't play 3B, Don Cooper is a whinny clown whose reactionary handling of the bullpen......AJ can't be bothered to drop in front of the ball, wild-pitch brings in the GW run .........oh did I mention that ancient Bobby Abreu try to hit an overhand tennis volley on a 96 mph pitch on an 0-2 count ---- and moher-lover wouldn't you know it, that very 0-2 pitch at his head gets blooped for a lead-off hit when 95% of the time that same 0-2 head-high swing either strikes him or is a routine pop-up or foul ball........

if that wasn't enough, Sox then essentially concede Monday's game to the Cubs by subbing Peavy for Zach Stewart.

Only see to see Peavy throw close to 130 pitches on the hottest, most humid day of the year the very next day, thereby nullifying any potential benefit of aformentioned conceded Monday game..... Ya.

doublem23
06-24-2012, 09:37 AM

Because its AAA... I mean, the NL.

Of the 4 games the Sox lost to St. Louis and LA, they had a chance to win 5 of them.

hawkjt
06-24-2012, 09:59 AM
In his next start after beating the Sox ,Jake Westbrook threw a complete game shutout at Tiger Stadium. He knows the AL Central.
As for the Dodgers without Kemp, they have a good record without him,also..maintaining the best record in baseball.
Sox should have swept that series,and won 5 of 6 on the road vs Dodgers and Cards but they still played decent baseball on that trip. Their home performance vs Houston,the Jays, the Cubs,and Brewers is what has me more concerned.

SBSoxFan
06-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Because its AAA... I mean, the NL.

Of the 4 games the Sox lost to St. Louis and LA, they had a chance to win 5 of them.

hehe I didn't know Yogi Berra posted here.