PDA

View Full Version : Humber on the DL

kobo
06-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Per White Sox twitter:

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox (https://twitter.com/#%21/whitesox) #WhiteSox (https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23WhiteSox) place Philip Humber on 15-Day DL retroactive to 6/17 with right elbow flexor strain.

dwitt76
06-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Another starter on the DL :whiner:

Harry Potter
06-22-2012, 03:33 PM
https://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien

White Sox place Philip Humber on the D-L. Designate Kosuke Fukudome for assignment. Bringing up Brian Bruney.
Humber has a right elbow flexor strain. Bruney 1-3 with a 1.85 ERA, 11 saves, 3 starts for AAA-Charlotte.
With Fukudome gone, Jordan Danks stays.

LITTLE NELL
06-22-2012, 03:38 PM
I don't know what goes beyond the scenes but is the Sox Front Office kicking themselves in the butt for not trying to work something out with Buerhle?

kevingrt
06-22-2012, 03:38 PM
And the Dylan Axelrod experiment begins. Please be Quintana 2.0. Highly unlikely.

DonnieDarko
06-22-2012, 03:39 PM
What the hell...? What's everyone going on the DL lately? >_<

Good Lord, I just hope that Axelrod is actually decent. Not even good, just...decent. What I saw of him before does not impress me very much.

The Immigrant
06-22-2012, 03:40 PM
And the Dylan Axelrod experiment begins. Please be Quintana 2.0. Highly unlikely.

It would be difficult for him to be any worse than Humber's been of late.

ChiSoxFann
06-22-2012, 03:40 PM
I was watching Chicago Tribune Live (for some reason) yesterday and Kaplan said he wouldn't be surprised if we found an injury for Humber to DL him for a while so not shocking. Maybe he can work things out on the side or in the minors.

And good riddance to Kosuke. Jordan Danks is cheaper and better anyway.

pmck003
06-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Axelrod tomorrow then?

Noneck
06-22-2012, 03:41 PM
And Leesman stays in Charlotte.

doublem23
06-22-2012, 03:42 PM
I don't know what goes beyond the scenes but is the Sox Front Office kicking themselves in the butt for not trying to work something out with Buerhle?

Seriously, how many times are people going to bring up Mark Buehrle? The Sox did offer him a deal, Miami just gave him an extra year and a crapload of more cash.

FWIW, Humber probably still be in the rotation is Buehrle was here or not. The guy who replaced Buehrle is Sale.

DonnieDarko
06-22-2012, 03:44 PM
And Leesman stays in Charlotte.

What're Leesman's stats, anyway? I mean, does he "deserve" a promotion? Has he been too good for his current level that there's not much more he can do in the minors?

Noneck
06-22-2012, 03:45 PM
What're Leesman's stats, anyway? I mean, does he "deserve" a promotion? Has he been too good for his current level that there's not much more he can do in the minors?

Yea your right Axlerod is the guy.

DonnieDarko
06-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Yea your right Axlerod is the guy.

As if to prove that, I got this from ESPN:

"Spin: Based on his minor league track record, Leesman was a candidate for the 25-man roster back in February but failed to impress during the spring and landed back in the minors. After a bit of a rocky start, Leesman is now 6-3 over his last 10 starts with a 1.82 ERA and hasn't allowed more than two runs in any start during that time. Unfortunately, he has just 35 strikeouts to 24 walks over 54.1 innings over the ten starts and likely won;t receive consideration for a promotion until he cuts down on the walks."

Harry Potter
06-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Neckbeard is back!!

http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Seriously-this-is-Brian-Bruney.jpg

LITTLE NELL
06-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Seriously, how many times are people going to bring up Mark Buehrle? The Sox did offer him a deal, Miami just gave him an extra year and a crapload of more cash.

FWIW, Humber probably still be in the rotation is Buehrle was here or not. The guy who replaced Buehrle is Sale.

So you are saying that there were hardly any negotiations, it was we got Danks and Sale and we don't need you.

DonnieDarko
06-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Neckbeard is back!!

http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Seriously-this-is-Brian-Bruney.jpg

:puking:

DonnieDarko
06-22-2012, 03:53 PM
So you are saying that there were hardly any negotiations, it was we got Danks and Sale and we don't need you.

I was always under the assumption that Buehrle just wanted to walk.

Noneck
06-22-2012, 03:54 PM
As if to prove that, I got this from ESPN:

"Spin: Based on his minor league track record, Leesman was a candidate for the 25-man roster back in February but failed to impress during the spring and landed back in the minors. After a bit of a rocky start, Leesman is now 6-3 over his last 10 starts with a 1.82 ERA and hasn't allowed more than two runs in any start during that time. Unfortunately, he has just 35 strikeouts to 24 walks over 54.1 innings over the ten starts and likely won;t receive consideration for a promotion until he cuts down on the walks."

Dont worry I will be still routing for your guy.

DonnieDarko
06-22-2012, 03:56 PM

Don't get me wrong: I want to see Leesman in the majors with the Sox, too. I just don't think he's QUITE there yet. And if he follows the Steve Stone-trumpeted time when pitchers "figure it out" (between 27-29, IIRC), then he's still got some time left. Pitchers, from what I understand take more time to develop than position players, after all...

Lip Man 1
06-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Where in the hell did this come from?????????????

Sox are in deep **** now that's for sure.

We'll see what Kenny does.

Lip

LITTLE NELL

We always heard him talk about walking away from the game before his time and money was not a big deal with him but I would think he would have been happy to finish his career with the Sox.

kittle42

What are you going to route? :wink:

DonnieDarko
06-22-2012, 03:59 PM
We always heard him talk about walking away from the game before his time and money was not a big deal with him but I would think he would have been happy to finish his career with the Sox.

To be fair, I think that I would turn down retiring from the Sox if I knew that I was getting a 56,000,000 payday with another team. Or maybe he thinks that he can sign another very short-term deal (like 1-2 years) with the Sox and THEN retire?

Who knows. We don't know what the man thinks...

PatK
06-22-2012, 03:59 PM

I love Mark, but that deal he signed with the Marlins wouldn't have been good for the Sox.

TheOldRoman
06-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Neckbeard is back!!

That's not a neckbeard, it's just a regular beard. A neckbeard is when guys can't grow anything on their face so they just have it under their chin and on the sides (see Kyle Orton). Hopefully Bruney's beard intimidates the opposing batters and has them diving out of the box on every pitch.

LITTLE NELL
06-22-2012, 04:04 PM
I love Mark, but that deal he signed with the Marlins wouldn't have been good for the Sox.

I agree that was too much but I still think he would have given us a hometown discount, I think the Sox felt that we have Danks and Sale so let Mark walk.
Comes down to the old adage that a team can never have enough starting pitching.

ChiSoxGal85
06-22-2012, 04:07 PM
I thought Bruney shaved his beard? Maybe in spring training? I seem to remember not recognizing him, maybe on one of the spring training webcasts.

And regarding Buehrle: I got the impression that Jerry said, "Hey nice contract from Miami, Mark...I can't match that. Good luck with the Marlins." But I wasn't there, so I don't know. :(:

kittle42
06-22-2012, 04:07 PM

This a million times.

Give up on the Buehrle stuff already. He was at a point in his career where going to a pitchers' park in the NL is going to make him more money and he can pitch til he's 40.

Chez
06-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Words I thought I'd never hear myself say: "I wish we still had Eric Stults."

hawkjt
06-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Words I thought I'd never hear myself say: "I wish we still had Eric Stults."

Agree. Stults did not look that bad in his stint with the Sox this year,and did ok in a game later vs the Cubs...ok, I mean it...we need to throw numbers at this problem.

So, whaddya think....has Humber been hurt,or did he just get hurt,or is he not hurt?

Or are all pitchers basically hurt,and can go on the DL anytime.

So, does this mean the rotation is now, Axelrod,Sale,Peavy,Floyd and Quintana? Stewart back to the bullpen or 6 man rotation?

DumpJerry
06-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Does Roger Clemens still want to play for us?

DumpJerry
06-22-2012, 04:19 PM
So, whaddya think....has Humber been hurt,or did he just get hurt,or is he not hurt?
It's difficult for a team to fake a trip to the DL because MLB will have their doctors check out the situation if they smell a rat.

Chez
06-22-2012, 04:21 PM
So, does this mean the rotation is now, Axelrod,Sale,Peavy,Floyd and Quintana? Stewart back to the bullpen or 6 man rotation?

Put me in the "anyone but Axlerod" camp. He's okay for an inning or two, but beyond that? Yikes.

thomas35forever
06-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Hopefully, this will work out for the better. Think his struggles have had something to do with this? Regardless, we have no choice but to weather the storm. Let's hope we don't lose too much ground if any at all in the interim.

doublem23
06-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Put me in the "anyone but Axlerod" camp. He's okay for an inning or two, but beyond that? Yikes.

Axelrod's pitched very effectively for Charlotte this year.

Noneck
06-22-2012, 04:39 PM
What are you going to route? :wink:
The Ryan to skyway to 65, 65 to 64, 64 to 75S, 75S to 40E, 40E to 74E, 74E to 85N, 85N to 485S and he should know the way from there.

Chez
06-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Axelrod's pitched very effectively for Charlotte this year.

Without a doubt. He also has pitched very ineffectively in the majors this year.

Lip Man 1
06-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Given the issues right now facing the staff and the appearance of a lack of any real quality in the minors you wonder what's going to happen next year without Peavy and possibly Floyd.

:o:

Lip

hawkjt
06-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Next year: Sale,Danks,Floyd,Quintana and ? Maybe make a move for someone....still could be decent.

Chez
06-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Given the issues right now facing the staff and the appearance of a lack of any real quality in the minors you wonder what's going to happen next year without Peavy and possibly Floyd.

Lip

I'm more worried about Saturday night's game. I'll worry about next year when this season is over. FWIW, there was an article in this morning's Trib written by Gonzo touting the depth of starting pitching in the minors (e.g. Leesman, Bruney, and Castro). The bullpen too (Omogrosso, Veal, Septimo).

Lip Man 1
06-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Hawk:

I think I read where Floyd can also possibly be a free agent next season.

Lip

Lip Man 1
06-22-2012, 05:14 PM
One good thing about all this (and I use the term "good" in quotes) is simply this.

Given the pitching issues and the fact that the schedule gets a lot harder come July at least Kenny should have a very good idea of where the team stands as the deadline approaches.

He should pretty well know if the Sox are in or out of this by July 15th and I understand there's still two and a half months to go, but the trend should make itself pretty clear by then.

Lip

doublem23
06-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Without a doubt. He also has pitched very ineffectively in the majors this year.

7 IP of below average baseball, the Sox shouldn't have even wasted their time DFA'ing him, should have just taken him out back and shot him.

doublem23
06-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Next year: Sale,Danks,Floyd,Quintana and ? Maybe make a move for someone....still could be decent.

Don't overlook Castro or Molina

Chez
06-22-2012, 05:24 PM
7 IP of below average baseball, the Sox shouldn't have even wasted their time DFA'ing him, should have just taken him out back and shot him.

Hey, I truly hope he proves me wrong!

Noneck
06-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Lip,

Floyd has a 9.5M club option next year.

DumpJerry
06-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Lip,

Floyd has a 9.5M club option next year.
A few more outings like the one against the Cubs the other day, and that might be a decent value.

cards press box
06-22-2012, 05:42 PM
Don't overlook Castro or Molina

Or maybe Jake Peavy. Don't forget the Sox have a club option for Peavy in 2013.

TaylorStSox
06-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Castro or Santiago will be the 5th starter next year IMO.

Enough with the Mark Buerhle crap. It's beyond tired.

samurai_sox
06-22-2012, 05:46 PM

Lip

What did you expect? Years of Kenny draining the farm and the organization not drafting and developing players has finally caught up to the Sox.

LITTLE NELL
06-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Or maybe Jake Peavy. Don't forget the Sox have a club option for Peavy in 2013.

Yeah, its for 22 million. I wish we had 12 Jakes on the staff but not for 22 million.

Noneck
06-22-2012, 05:50 PM
A few more outings like the one against the Cubs the other day, and that might be a decent value.

With what they have for next year and its only 1 year. Seems ok.

Lip Man 1
06-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Noneck:

But that doesn't change the fact that he could be a free agent if the Sox choose not to pick up the option.

Lip

TaylorStSox
06-22-2012, 05:54 PM
What did you expect? Years of Kenny draining the farm and the organization not drafting and developing players has finally caught up to the Sox.

You're right, no other team in baseball would be in trouble with 3 starters spending time on the DL. It's a White Sox problem.:rolleyes:

Noneck
06-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Noneck:

But that doesn't change the fact that he could be a free agent if the Sox choose not to pick up the option.

Lip

I would rather the Sox trade him than get a club pick.

balke
06-22-2012, 06:01 PM

No, not at all. I don't think he's dumb though - he was going to get many millions more to play elsewhere.

Thome25
06-22-2012, 06:27 PM

Lip

Relax.

Humber was pitching like **** anyway and the Sox were still winning for the most part through his ****ty performance.

His replacement couldn't be any worse and will most likely perform better......how much better remains to be seen.

doublem23
06-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Relax.

Humber was pitching like **** anyway and the Sox were still winning for the most part through his ****ty performance.

His replacement couldn't be any worse and will most likely perform better......how much better remains to be seen.

Yeah, I thought as recently as yesterday people were clamoring for Humber to go to the bullpen... Did everyone think the Sox had Cy Young ready and waiting to replace him?

KMcMahon817
06-22-2012, 07:01 PM

Lip

I hope this is a joke.

But with some of the things you say, I doubt it is.

Humber has been atrocious. The DL is a great place for him. Chill out.

Soxman219
06-22-2012, 07:15 PM
This is actually good news. Now he can get his head straight and come back better and pitch more effectively.

CoopaLoop
06-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Maybe this is something for another thread, but what do you think Peavy will get on the market?

Even though what Kenny gave up proved to be trash, it would be nice to get more than just this year out of Peavy.

Brian26
06-22-2012, 07:56 PM

The Sox did not offer him a deal.

Buehrle wanted to stay and even called the Sox at the end to work something out after Miami made their final offer.

The Sox simply couldn't make an offer with the budget they had tied up with Rios/Peavy/Dunn.

Lip Man 1
06-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Humber has been pitching like crap granted but I don't think Axelrod is going to do better and its a decent bet he does even worse.

Thus my comment about the Sox being in deep ****.

Given the way pitchers go down today you need six, not five guys ready to go. The guy doing the worst goes to the pen for long relief unless some spot starts are needed. He steps into the rotation if someone is hurt.

They found a gem it looks like with Q....don't think it's going to strike twice.

We'll see.

McMahon now I'm relaxed, I hope y'all appreciate it. :rolleyes:

Lip

Adele_H
06-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Another starter on the DL :whiner:

Seriously I like Hawk more than most.... but dang, he does have a tendency to get carried away and JINX everything ---- like when he couldn't shut up about Sox dominating NL after we swept the Cubs at Wriggley---- BOOM we lose to lowly Astros without El Caballo, then give away no less than 2 or 3 games to Cards/Dodgers without Matt Kemp --- and worst of all, drop 2 in a row to the Cubs..............

Likewise, Hawkaroo seems to have totally jinxed team health with all his incessant praise for how Herm Schneider & Coop are such magicians
keeping everyone 100% healthy blablabla.........Since then Contreras blows his Achilles heel, which led to Sox being forced to go to 4-man rotation which in turn burned out Buerhle, Vazquez, Floyd who had nothing left for the 2008 playoffs...........Then Peavy blows out his lat, which not only costs us 2010 but also 2011 since such unique injury takes 2 years to recover from......This year John Danks and Phillip Humber arms finally fell apart.

Seriously...... how is this a surprise? Did anyone see Humber perfecto? He was pumping it at 93-94 mph, with movement & pinpoint control. Snapping off wicked curveballs. Flash forward weeks later, he is barely 90 mph on a generous "hot" TV radar gun and the ball is flat. His control is all over the place and breaking ball just terrible.

Same as John Danks -- only with Danks it was his go-to change-up that also became pure garbage.

Honestly, it was so obvious why the stats were terrible for both of those guys.

Hopefully, Sox diagnosis is correct and nothing is STRUCTURALLY wrong with either Humber or Danks, that they just need a month-long rest. If that's the case, look at it as if Sox are going to acquire 2 quality starters after the All-Star Break when they come back --- except, Sox wouldn't have to give up any prospects :)

Noneck
06-23-2012, 12:00 AM
If that's the case, look at it as if Sox are going to acquire 2 quality starters after the All-Star Break when they come back --- except, Sox wouldn't have to give up any prospects

That will only matter if they can stay in the buyer category at that point.

Adele_H
06-23-2012, 12:06 AM
Humber has been pitching like crap granted but I don't think Axelrod is going to do better and its a decent bet he does even worse.

Thus my comment about the Sox being in deep ****.

Given the way pitchers go down today you need six, not five guys ready to go. The guy doing the worst goes to the pen for long relief unless some spot starts are needed. He steps into the rotation if someone is hurt.

They found a gem it looks like with Q....don't think it's going to strike twice.

We'll see.

McMahon now I'm relaxed, I hope y'all appreciate it. :rolleyes:

Lip

Lip, few things real quick:

1) Dylan Axelrod is Yiddish for Lance Broadway. I hope I am dead wrong, but I don't think he has a future as a big-league starter longer-term. Hopefully he mystifies the Brewers tomorrow with his slop and shut them down -- heck, even Felix Diaz once beat Carlos Zambrano.

2) I was horrified at the way Sox essentially conceeded the Monday game against the Cubs by starting Zach Stewart. How on earth is someone who is TERRIBLE as a reliever like Stewart was.....who got pummeled by the Cubs last time he faced them in low-pressure situation at Wriggley, in a less HR-friendly May weather --- he still gave up 2 monster HR......How on earth do you START him in July against Garza no less??????!!!!!!!

3) The reasoning was it allowed to push Peavy back by a day. Wow a full day holy crap! And the most bizarre part? They allow Peavy to throw almost 130 freakin' pitches when he does start the very next day --- which totally defeated the purpose of conceeding the Monday game to our arch-city rivals. Despite that Addison Reed and Matt Thortton were both ready and warmed up by the 8th. But Robin didn't want a repeat of Sunday game in LA when he pulled Quintana an inning too early -- except Quintana is not broken-down Peavy and he had thrown 40 less pitches...... Dusty Baker couldn't have scripted it better :angry:

4) I'd much rather see what we have in Simon Castro. Having badly mis-scouted Nestor Molina ala Jeff Marquez and Felix Diaz........ hopefully Simon Castro can indeed reach 96 mph with nasty secondary stuff. Fingers crossed.

Adele_H
06-23-2012, 12:10 AM
That will only matter if they can stay in the buyer category at that point.

No, I meant that possibly getting Danks and Humber healthy is LIKE acquiring 2 quality pitchers at the deadline.

Sorry for poor Englishing of mine.

DSpivack
06-23-2012, 12:47 AM

Buehrle wanted to stay and even called the Sox at the end to work something out after Miami made their final offer.

The Sox simply couldn't make an offer with the budget they had tied up with Rios/Peavy/Dunn.

I look at it as Danks' extension meant that we couldn't afford Buehrle. They thought Danks would improve and become a star southpaw as Buehrle was. That's looking like a pretty dumb move at this point.

TaylorStSox
06-23-2012, 01:19 AM
I look at it as Danks' extension meant that we couldn't afford Buehrle. They thought Danks would improve and become a star southpaw as Buehrle was. That's looking like a pretty dumb move at this point.
Well, Danks is having a nightmare of a year, but Buehrle's not exactly setting the world on fire. Couple that with Buehrle getting overpaid and being about my age, and it was an easy decision. Plus, Danks does have more upside. He's never put it together, but he does have better stuff and some good intangibles. He might be a problem nobody ever solves. It's also worth the risk to try to solve it. 2 years of Danks reaching his potential > 4 years of Buehrle being an aging buehrle IMO.

DSpivack
06-23-2012, 01:43 AM
Well, Danks is having a nightmare of a year, but Buehrle's not exactly setting the world on fire. Couple that with Buehrle getting overpaid and being about my age, and it was an easy decision. Plus, Danks does have more upside. He's never put it together, but he does have better stuff and some good intangibles. He might be a problem nobody ever solves. It's also worth the risk to try to solve it. 2 years of Danks reaching his potential > 4 years of Buehrle being an aging buehrle IMO.

Fair enough on Buehrle, but I don't get signing a guy to a big extension like that based upon potential that he some day might fulfill. Yet, look at the numbers, and it looks like Danks has only gotten worse as his career has gone, not better. He reminds me of Edwin Jackson, just maddeningly inconsistent.

Adele_H
06-23-2012, 02:36 AM
Fair enough on Buehrle, but I don't get signing a guy to a big extension like that based upon potential that he some day might fulfill. Yet, look at the numbers, and it looks like Danks has only gotten worse as his career has gone, not better. He reminds me of Edwin Jackson, just maddeningly inconsistent.

With all due respect, Edwin Jackson as much as he was abused by Jim Leyland, Arizona (150 pitches for a power pitcher who throws a nasty slider? Seriously, Arizona?)....... he was a pretty good investment after 2011. Not a rubber per se, but nothing that really raised a red flag.

Danks? One doesn't need to be a professional scout or Dr. Andrews to see that Danks has a violent, jerky, mechanically flawed "maximum effort" type of a throwing motion that was not conducive to LONGEVITY. "Johnny Ball-sac" literally was squeezing every last ounce of his natural ability on every-pitch. I give him props, Danks always had big heart. If not big brain -- the exact opposite of Gavin Floyd, whose's all cerebral and not enough intestinal fortitude, kinda like characters from Wizard of Oz, each in need one thing from the Wizard, LOL.....but I digress.

Hopefully, Danks proves critics wrong and enjoys a long productive career.

Adele_H
06-23-2012, 02:45 AM

There is a bit of a logical fallacy that not (prematurely) re-signing Johnny Danks to long-term deal, would have meant that bringing Buerhle back that I hear sometimes.

IMO, letting Buerhle go was the right decision. It's not surprising that Buerhle was thriving in a pitcher's park, in a pitcher league, first time through the NL line-ups. It's quite another to do it in a HR-launching pad like the Cell, in a DH league that over the years has figured Buerhle out. He made 14 million a year for 4 years and would likely not settled for anything less than 15 mill per if his agent knew did his job properly.

amsteel
06-23-2012, 10:19 AM
I didn't like trading away Edwin Jackson last year.

I don't like it right now.

And I probably won't like it in the future.

NDSox12
06-23-2012, 08:22 PM
I didn't like trading away Edwin Jackson last year.

I don't like it right now.

And I probably won't like it in the future.

He was a free agent after last season though. With the Sox budgetary constraints, there was almost no chance he would have been back this year.