PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6/20 Put Those Brooms Away, Flubs Fans Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
06-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Great job by the two Gs: Gavin and Gordon.

LongLiveFisk
06-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Thank God. This is not a team that should sweep anyone for crying out loud.

Keep it going, boys! :gulp:

DrCrawdad
06-20-2012, 09:59 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVMUpBH8QslHqho1OCQ1TIS5FL-XmYKM2BLKmV2QAtDJfmsj_Kng
As it should be and should have been for the other 2 at The Cell.

Either way, Sox win 4 of 6.

TheOldRoman
06-20-2012, 09:59 PM
I hate you, Gavin! I hate you soooooo much! Oh, wait, he pitched well? Go Gavin! I love you!

Oh, and get off the deck.

Viva Medias B's
06-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Now that's more like it!

:supernana:

ChiSoxGal85
that's better, White Sox. :gulp:

FielderJones
Great job by the two Gs: Gavin and Gordon.

And GoGoCrede :wink:

cub killer
06-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Watching this game and an exciting Liberators Cup semifinal at the same time. Both games ended almost simultaneously. Great result for our Sox.

Let's get back on track and take this division!

vinny
06-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Gavin's game score tonight was 67. Best he's done since beating the Royals on May 11. Thornton also looked like his old self.

Glad to salvage one from this series, especially with the Toons winning another one.

SephClone89
06-20-2012, 10:05 PM
Watching this game and an exciting Liberators Cup semifinal at the same time.

Nwver heard anyone say it in English before. Bizarre!

Frater Perdurabo
06-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Floyd owed the Sox and Sox fans that performance. I bet Peavy is pissed he didn't get just a few of those runs last night.

In any case, a win is a win. Let's hope Floyd has lots more outings like that. He had great movement and location tonight.

:)

Soxman219
06-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Props to Floyd, hopefully it's a start of a run that is needed for this team. Sox win another season series against the Flubbie Wubbies.

cub killer
06-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Nwver heard anyone say it in English before. Bizarre!

Did you watch? Great stuff. Congrats to Corinthians! Neymar's team is out, and now he might head overseas during the transfer window.

/threadjack

PalehosePlanet
06-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Maybe the slump is over? Our first three runs came on bloop hits: the type that have been caught the last two weeks.

Gavin finally stepped it up and kicked some ass; hopefully he goes on a 8-10 start tear where he pitches great. He does that the middle of pretty much every season and hopefully this year is no exception.

Let's win the series this weekend and get back to playing good ball.

GoGoCrede
06-20-2012, 10:15 PM
And GoGoCrede :wink:

Damn right! So proud of Gavin! He really needed this, and so did we. :gulp:

PushinWeight
06-20-2012, 10:20 PM
About time White Sox. Now how about winning a series again for a change? No reason they shouldn't take at least 2/3 against a struggling Brewers team.

sox1970
06-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Ok, Gavin. Do that 15 more times.

4-2 vs Cubs four years in a row. Can't complain.

IronFisk
06-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Hot dog...another BP Cup!
:bandance:

Lip Man 1
06-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Well considering Gavin's ERA was 11 for his previous six starts how could he possibly do any worse?

At least he went six innings.

Now take the day, get your heads back together and see if you can take a series against Milwaukee.

Sucks that Cleveland won though.

At least Detroit lost.

Iron:

They had already won it back in May.

Lip

delben91
06-20-2012, 10:42 PM
This team isn't even mediocre.

central44
06-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Gordon Beckham is starting to look like a Cub killer :cool:

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come for Floyd. The division is very winnable and Gavin Floyd getting his act together could be a big part of that.

TheOldRoman
06-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Well considering Gavin's ERA was 11 for his previous six starts how could he possibly do any worse?

At least he went six innings.

Now take the day, get your heads back together and see if you can take a series against Milwaukee.

Sucks that Cleveland won though.

At least Detroit lost.

Iron:

They had already won it back in May.

LipThat implies he pitched a mediocre to poor game but gave us 6 innings. He had a great game today. Hopefully he is ready to go on one of his month-plus runs of excellence.

I would rather Cleveland lost, but don't concern yourself with them. Detroit is all that matters.

BigKlu59
06-20-2012, 10:47 PM
:gulp:The schooners are much smoother, tonite...:gulp: Nice outin all around, and once Bacon put one in the beer garden, the Cubs rolled up the tent. Time to finish on a high note before the ASG..

BK59

FielderJones
06-20-2012, 10:50 PM
That implies he pitched a mediocre to poor game but gave us 6 innings. He had a great game today.

Today's Gavin gave up a leadoff double and a leadoff triple, and left them both on base. That wouldn't have happened a week ago. Outstanding performance today.

Tragg
06-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Floyd is inconsistent as can be, but he's capable.
That's in contrast to others who have seen the rotation.

Lip Man 1
06-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Roman:

He was very good tonight, to be sure... my reference was to the fact he was getting knocked out early time after time and really putting the bullpen in a bind.

Six plus innings is a hell of a lot better than four or five.

Lip

SaltyPretzel
06-20-2012, 11:05 PM
I was at the game and it looked like De Aza was drilled intentionally. What was up with that? :angry:

Lip Man 1
06-20-2012, 11:07 PM
6th shutout this season by the Sox.

Lip

Foulke You
06-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Maybe the slump is over? Our first three runs came on bloop hits: the type that have been caught the last two weeks.

Gavin finally stepped it up and kicked some ass; hopefully he goes on a 8-10 start tear where he pitches great. He does that the middle of pretty much every season and hopefully this year is no exception.

Let's win the series this weekend and get back to playing good ball.

Gavin had most of his pitches working and didn't give up a HR on a night where the ball was jumping to LF and RF. Walks and HRs have been Gavin's recipe for trouble and he stayed away from both tonight. We needed that game bad. Oh, and the Cubs have played their final meaningful game of the year.

Wedema
06-20-2012, 11:19 PM
I was at the game and it looked like De Aza was drilled intentionally. What was up with that? :angry:

It definately was intentional and probably pay back for Humber throwing at LaHair at Wrigley.

Foulke You
06-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Definitely a purpose pitch. Probably because DeJesus was plunked twice on Monday and they were already down big tonight. Glad Sox didnt take the bait on that one. We have way more to lose in a brawl then they do.

TheFrisbee
06-21-2012, 12:05 AM
Finally a solid game all around.

My one issue is that after the play of Escobar tonight, Ventura said he's going back on the bench and replaced with Hudson for Friday. Why not give the kid a chance? :scratch:

hawkjt
06-21-2012, 12:32 AM
I could have swore that Robin said that Escobar had a good game and would be out there again on Friday....could be wrong tho.

I cannot believe that they hit DeAza for the DeJesus breaking ball hit by pitches or for the Humber pitch to LaHair....if so,they are dbags.

It was a cheapshot,period,by a guy who will not see the Sox til next year.

Nice outing by Gavin. Coop said on Monday that they found a mechanical issue in his last sidesession,and worked on it...maybe it took. He looked sharper earlier,with that 95mph fastball and the breaking ball was sharp.
Maybe fewer cutters?

Good to see a few blooper hits drop in....they have hit so few line drives lately,they needed some ducksnorts. Gordo looked like the rookie gordo going down the line like that for the homer...awesome.

Ok, now, on to the Brewcrew. Baby steps...lets take a series.

TDog
06-21-2012, 12:35 AM
https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVMUpBH8QslHqho1OCQ1TIS5FL-XmYKM2BLKmV2QAtDJfmsj_Kng
As it should be and should have been for the other 2 at The Cell.

Either way, Sox win 4 of 6.

I don't know how Monday night should have been easy. Monday night there were bound to be a lot of home runs the way the wind was gusting out, and unfortunately just about all of them were hit by the Cubs. And it wasn't going to be easy with Nate Jones turning in the worst pitching line by a White Sox pitcher probably since Todd Rizzo's major league debut in 1998. (Rizzo's 6 earned runs on 4 hits and 2 walks, facing 6 batters was a bit worse than the 5 earned runs on 6 hits and no walks facing six batters, but Rizzo left the bases loaded for Tom Fordham who gave up a grand slam to cap the 10-run inning.)

But tonight's game was the game I expected Tuesday night, specifically moments after the White Sox had taken a 1-0 lead in the second and had the bases load with one out. Hudson popped it up, and the Sox wouldn't score again all night. Not a good night for Hudson, whose error leading off the next half inning set up the Cubs' 2-run rally. If the Cubs hadn't taken full advantage of what the White Sox gave them that inning, I believe it would have been a different game.

Tonight, Escobar had a pretty good night at third and started the 2-run rally in the third by walking and stealing second. Floyd didn't have Peavy's great stuff and didn't get out of the seventh, but he didn't facilitate a Cubs rally by throwing a wild pitch.

A good game after a rather frustrating 3-game losing streak.

The two most recent wins by the Sox no have been recorded by Humber and Floyd. In both cases, the Sox got shutout work from the bullpen, not that tonight the bullpen needed to be perfect. But the team probably needed a shutout tonight. Quintana, of course, didn't get such bullpen support. And maybe with a shutdown bullpen Monday night, the Sox would have had a chance. With the conditions at the ballpark, I didn't think the Sox were out of it trailing 6-3.

TDog
06-21-2012, 12:43 AM
It definately was intentional and probably pay back for Humber throwing at LaHair at Wrigley.

After the first game in Wrigley, LaHair was quite upset about Humber throwing behind him. I believe in talking to reporters he said something like "go ahead and hit me in the ribs, but don't throw behind my head." Under the circumstance, I wouldn't have had a problem with the White Sox taking him up on the offer.

hawkjt
06-21-2012, 12:57 AM
The Sox should have taken 2 of 3 in the Cards,Dodgers and Cubs series.
In each series there was a game that they flat gave away,with great pitching performances by Peavy twice and Quintana....and should have swept the Dodgers with the Sale game lead of 5-1.

So,while frustrating,the Sox are not that far from playing decent ball.

I hate hearing Sox fans saying they need to give it up and sell off their vet players when the team is actually not far from playing good ball and being in first place.

central44
06-21-2012, 01:00 AM
In each series there was a game that they flat gave away,with great pitching performances by Peavy twice and Quintana....and should have swept the Dodgers with the Sale game lead of 5-1.

I hate hearing Sox fans saying they need to give it up and sell off their vet players when the team is actually not far from playing good ball and being in first place.

Agree 100%.

It's a cold streak. Every team has them. But at the same time, part of being a Sox fan is overreacting to every little bump in the road in a huge way.

The Sox will be fine, the division is terrible. The Sox are less bad than Detroit and Cleveland, which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement but are really one SP away from being legitimate. Although a 3B besides Hudson would be nice, too.

hawkjt
06-21-2012, 01:41 AM
In a best case scenario, if Gavin got on one of his hot streaks,along with Peavy,and Sale,and Quintana continues his excellent work,and finally,Johnny Danks is back by the 3rd or 4th week of July and is his old self, the Sox would have the best rotation in the division.
Throw Humber in the bullpen as long relief,find someone to replace Ohman,and the overall staff would be pretty solid.

The hitting is less proven,as the last couple of weeks show,but they did get hot once,so it can happen again. I ain't ready to throw in the towel just yet.

cards press box
06-21-2012, 04:55 AM

I agree, too. With a move or too, the Sox should be in the hunt all year. And for the fourth time in six games against the Cubs,

:winner

Zakath
06-21-2012, 05:43 AM
Damn right! So proud of Gavin! He really needed this, and so did we. :gulp:

That might be the understatement of the year. Gavin has been beyond dreadful for at least a month; had he come out and pitched that way last night, especially against the Minor Leaguers in an attempt to avoid the sweep, that the calls for him to go to the 'pen might have reached ear-splitting levels.

October26
06-21-2012, 07:01 AM
I agree, too. With a move or too, the Sox should be in the hunt all year. And for the fourth time in six games against the Cubs,

:winner

I enjoyed reading your post; I always scan the winning threads looking for your White Sox winner posts. I've missed them lately, as the Sox have been losing more games than winning.

What a fun night of White Sox baseball! Both my daughter and I were off work last night (she was supposed to work but her shift was cancelled at the last minute) so I fixed dinner and we watched the game together. We had great conversation about Sox history and players. And I told her about some of my WSI friends including GoGoCrede and her "husband", Gavin Floyd. My daughter said that my WSI friends sound like one, big, happy fraternity/sorority. That's about right, I said, except this fraternity/sorority has no age limit...lol

Awesome win last nite! :D: I'm so happy for all the G's: Gavin, Gordon, & GoGoCrede! I'm also glad the Sox did not get swept. I hope the Sox enjoy their day off today and come back on Friday ready to rattle of some more wins. Keep on winning, White Sox!

Jollyroger2
06-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Well sorry to be the downer I guess, but I hate losing series to those guys. Especially given what a train wreck they are this year, anything less than a winning sweep is a big disappointment no matter how it's being spun.

This team still has a long way to go, and with mediocre to bad starting pitching they're going to struggle. Thankfully the division sucks, although Detroit has won seven of ten. Hopefully they don't get going.

Bob Roarman
06-21-2012, 08:29 AM
BECAUSE IT'S THE CUP

3rd straight. Dynasty? You better believe it.

tstrike2000
06-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Glad we were able to salvage that final game. Nice performance by Floyd. How we didn't also win Tuesday's game is beyond me. This Cubs team is pretty much pure scrap heap.

PalehosePlanet
06-21-2012, 10:43 AM
BECAUSE IT'S THE CUP

3rd straight. Dynasty? You better believe it.

I believe it's the 5th straight. In 2008 we split the series 3-3, but since we won the last game we were awarded the cup. In '09, '10, and '11 we won the series 4-2, just like this year.

Johnny Mostil
06-21-2012, 11:01 AM
I believe it's the 5th straight. In 2008 we split the series 3-3, but since we won the last game we were awarded the cup. In '09, '10, and '11 we won the series 4-2, just like this year.

The classic BP Cup has only been awarded since 2010 (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100426&content_id=9586940&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws).

SephClone89
06-21-2012, 11:08 AM

You must not be a true Sox fan if you don't know the illustrious history of the BP Crosstown Cup.

This has probably been said, but we had already retained the cup by sweeping at Wrigley.

DonnieDarko
06-21-2012, 12:22 PM
You must not be a true Sox fan if you don't know the illustrious history of the BP Crosstown Cup.

This has probably been said, but we had already retained the cup by sweeping at Wrigley.

I'm pretty sure that had they won last night they would have gotten the cup. I seem to remember a caveat that if the series is tied the cup goes to whoever wins the last game.

Meh.

DumpJerry
06-21-2012, 12:25 PM
On Mulley and Hanley Tuesday, Coop said he fixed Gavin.

DonnieDarko
06-21-2012, 12:26 PM

I noticed that after the...3rd inning (maybe during it), his velocity just suddenly jumped to 94-95 after being 89-91 for pretty much the whole season. *** happened?

TheOldRoman
06-21-2012, 12:58 PM
I noticed that after the...3rd inning (maybe during it), his velocity just suddenly jumped to 94-95 after being 89-91 for pretty much the whole season. *** happened?HE PROBABLY DID STEROIDS! /Rosenbloom'd

Johnny Mostil
06-21-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm pretty sure that had they won last night they would have gotten the cup. I seem to remember a caveat that if the series is tied the cup goes to whoever wins the last game.

Meh.

The explanation I've heard was that the last-game winner getting the Cup in the case of a tied series applied only to the first year when nobody already held it. Now that the Sox have possession of this great prize, the Cubs need to win the series outright to take it away. (The only way, I guess, it's like the heavyweight championship: in the case of a draw, the champion retains the title.)

Alas, I'm not enough of a Sox fan to know where there might be a link confirming such detail.

Rocky Soprano
06-21-2012, 01:01 PM
The explanation I've heard was that the last-game winner getting the Cup in the case of a tied series applied only to the first year when nobody already held it. Now that the Sox have possession of this great prize, the Cubs need to win the series outright to take it away. (The only way, I guess, it's like the heavyweight championship: in the case of a draw, the champion retains the title.)

Alas, I'm not enough of a Sox fan to know where there might be a link confirming such detail.

You are correct.

Chez
06-21-2012, 01:11 PM

Well if Gavin is now fixed, I guess Coop can now turn his full attention to Humber.

DumpJerry
06-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Well if Gavin is now fixed, I guess Coop can now turn his full attention to Humber.
Give him thirty minutes or so.........:D:

He said Gavin's problem was that in the past when he was lights out, he would setup leaning back (one caller that was how Roger Clemens would set up). After watching film of his more recent outings where he was rocked, he noticed Gavin setting up leaning forward.

SI1020
06-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Glad we were able to salvage that final game. Nice performance by Floyd. How we didn't also win Tuesday's game is beyond me. This Cubs team is pretty much pure scrap heap. The Sox have now lost 5 series in a row. The last 4, against NL teams they usually dominate were very hard to take. They woulda, coulda, shoulda won all 4 of them.

BainesHOF
06-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Pierzynski's blatant lack of hustle on two occasions is completely unacceptable. The guy is starting to go off the rails again with a bad attitude as his bat cools and the team sinks.

Adele_H
06-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Pierzynski's blatant lack of hustle on two occasions is completely unacceptable. The guy is starting to go off the rails again with a bad attitude as his bat cools and the team sinks.

It's not just lack of hustle. I think he's tired & beat up. Much worse than not running out a pop-up are the WILD PITCHES and pass-balls that are starting to pile up last couple of weeks because AJ tries to back-hand glove the pitch instead putting his whole body in front of it -- as catchers are taught.

A 35-year old catcher like Aj who hardly ever took a break from catching and who has "maximum effort" type of a swing and swings at everything..... has probably wear-n-tear equivalent to a 45 year old 1B or a 40 year old OF.

Robin needs to say 'NO' to AJ more often. Especially considering Sox need to find out whether Tyler Flowers indeed is the catcher of the future or not.

BainesHOF
06-23-2012, 11:35 PM
I can meet you halfway on the tired-and-beat-up excuse. It's remarkable how many games Pierzynski has played since he's been with us. That said, these two cases of dogging were blatant. They can't ever be accepted, at least not if you hope to be a winning ballclub. Winners hustle. Losers dog it.

Adele_H
06-24-2012, 01:28 AM
I can meet you halfway on the tired-and-beat-up excuse. It's remarkable how many games Pierzynski has played since he's been with us. That said, these two cases of dogging were blatant. They can't ever be accepted, at least not if you hope to be a winning ballclub. Winners hustle. Losers dog it.

No, I am saying it's BOTH: AJ is tired/beat-up behind homeplate.... AND he has a tendency to be too cocky/lazy for his own good.

We don't live in a perfect world, let's be realistic. Again, I can live with him or Paul Konerko for that matter conserving energy and occasionally when they're frustrated with themselves not running out a routine ground-out or pop-up at full speed. I am not saying that I like it, but I can live with it as long as both AJ and Konerko continue to produce RBI in bunches.

Can even kinda live with Konerko being increasingly a rangeless statue over at 1st base basically letting every other routine grounder or foul-pop up get by him --- remember that 6-run 6th Peavy meltdown against the Tigers? It started out with what should have been a routine grounder by Dirks that Konerko flat-out whiffed on, like for 3rd inning in a row except that time Jake-meister just fell apart and ERA ballooned by like a full run, lol........... Thankfully, Konerko can hit over his defense deficiences, and it's not like they can DH him, since Adam Dunn may be even worse defensively.

Anyway, as for AJP his defense has been nothing short of atrocious, too --- and after a fluky fast start throwing runners out in 2012, people are starting to once again run all over him lately.......That half-assed stabbing at the ball with the glove instead of bothering ot actually block it, is one of my absolute pet peeves. You can tell it's one of the reasons Peavy hates him sometimes aside form them disagreeing with pitch-calling strategy and stuff, LOL.

Incidentally, this is one of the reasons why Sox can't afford to bring Pirzinski back after 2012, IMO --- as long as he keeps up this hitting, someone will pay him 8-10 million a year and his body will probably fall apart pretty soon thereafter.

One problem Sox have with letting AJ go is Tyler Flowers: while he's gotten much better defensively than I remember scouts predicting in A-ball with the Braves..... and can still draw walks or hit a hanger 450 feet.....there is still a question whether he has the reaction time & batspeed to consistently hit a major-league fastball. It's not like his defense is Javier Molina-caliber circa few years ago where even 650 OPS sufficed for Tony LaRussa.

DickAllen72
06-24-2012, 11:24 AM
All I know is I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard, "Nice stop by AJ" over the years as well as this season.

hawkjt
06-24-2012, 11:51 AM
AJ leads AL catchers in fielding % at .996.
He has thrown out 11 base stealers,giving up 30, in 59 games.
I do think his energy might be flagging tho,so Tyler should get a few more starts between now and the All Star break.

SephClone89
06-24-2012, 12:02 PM
AJ leads AL catchers in fielding % at .996.
He has thrown out 11 base stealers,giving up 30, in 59 games.
I do think his energy might be flagging tho,so Tyler should get a few more starts between now and the All Star break.

Fielding percentage is pretty useless, especially for catchers.

It is notable that he seems to have thrown out a lot more runners this year, though.

Adele_H
06-24-2012, 01:12 PM
All I know is I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard, "Nice stop by AJ" over the years as well as this season.

You'd have, like, 3 dollars and a quarter. Tidy sum for 1880, but these days and age doesn't even pay for one dose of court-ordered clozapine as far as Jay Mariotti is concerned.

(This is a similar arguement as all the million-bajillion Paul Konerko scoops in the dirt that Hawk alledgedly sees everywhere........ watch other teams some time. Their catchers make many tough stops regularly and at 1B like Carlos Pena, Mark Texeira, Justin Morneau when he was healthy, Adrian Gonzalez, Todd Helton, younger Pujols, et al make those scoops just as frequently as 34-36 year old Paulie has these last few years - if not more frequently. And they sure as heck have had more range on grounders and pop-ups than banged-up Kong.)

AJ's defense has eroded. The effort as others have mentioned has been inconsistent too -- IMO, at least in part due to the cumulative beating he's taken behind the plate. The Fielding % for catchers is very flawed stat. UZR doesn't adequately address it, either -- though I think UZR is in general at best unreliable metric, but that's neither here nor there.

Even his surpsingly solid SB-% seems to be regressing to the mean lately. It's as if opposing scouts are starting to remember that it's AJ behind the plate, not Molina or Olivo.

also, unlike earlier in the season, I think Sox pitchers are starting to once again NOT obsessively try to hold baserunners as close because, I guess, being too preoccupied with preventing steals had
arguably caused guys like Phillip Humber, Gavin Floyd, John Danks to make really crappy pitches out of the stretch...it's a kind of a trade-off).