PDA

View Full Version : John Danks Out Indefinitely - Sun-Times

PaleHoser
06-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Looks like Quintana will be here for a while. :whiner:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/13274746-574/john-danks-out-indefinitely-with-grade-i-tear-in-his-shoulder.html

DSpivack
06-18-2012, 11:06 PM
http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/6/18/3096204/john-danks-out-indefinitely-with-grade-1-subscapularis-tear

This does not sound good.

Lip Man 1
06-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Pale:

The way he has pitched you should be happy here's still here.

The bad news is that barring something no one can forsee Humber and Floyd will still be here.

Lip

Crooked Number
06-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Well, after witnessing tonights unpleasantness in sec 504, I was hoping for some good news when I got home. Go fish.

PaleHoser
06-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Pale:

The way he has pitched you should be happy here's still here.

The bad news is that barring something no one can forsee Humber and Floyd will still be here.

Lip

Agreed. I meant to include a comment about Humber and Floyd remaining in the rotation indefinitely too.

shingo10
06-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Bad news but not catastrophic. When I saw the headline my heart sank but sounds like he will be back at some point this season.

I think for now we should cut Fukudome or send down Escabar so we can bring up some pitching help...we need it badly. Axelrod is probably our best option at the moment but hey, he can't be worse than Ohman, Stewart, ect.

Although....are we already operating at our maximum number of pitchers? If so then my bad.

Soxman219
06-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Sigh...................................

DSpivack
06-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Bad news but not catastrophic. When I saw the headline my heart sank but sounds like he will be back at some point this season.

I think for now we should cut Fukudome or send down Escabar so we can bring up some pitching help...we need it badly. Axelrod is probably our best option at the moment but hey, he can't be worse than Ohman, Stewart, ect.

I think Ohman is fine, he's just being misused and should strictly be a LOOGY. Fukudome is currently in Charlotte, I think, so we'll see if he makes his way back. Him or Jordan Danks, I kind of like Danks better, but neither of them are great. Stewart down and Axelrod or whomever up sounds like a move that should be made ASAP.

Parrothead
06-19-2012, 06:41 AM
Well there is a waste of 15 million, not that the Sox were getting their moneys worth when he was pitching. I know it would never happen but there should be some sort of "disability" pay scale when the play is on the DL.

kevingrt
06-19-2012, 07:40 AM
This season ship is sinking oh so fast.

#1swisher
06-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Danks was assured by Dr. Nicholson, that surgery wouldn't be necessary.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120618&content_id=33522444&notebook_id=33526090&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

Lip Man 1
06-19-2012, 11:43 AM
According to Gonzo talking to someone in medicine, the recovery time on this injury is in the 3-6 week range, then he'll have to go on a rehab assignment.

Like with Morel, I think August is the best case.

Lip

Chez
06-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Terrible news. Barring a 180 degree turnaround by Floyd and Humber, we're in deep do-do. Dylan Axlerod is not the answer. "The answer" is probably not currently on our roster. Damn.

delben91
06-19-2012, 12:10 PM
This season ship is sinking oh so fast.

They win 3 straight and everyone on here will be singing a different tune yet again.

kittle42
06-19-2012, 12:13 PM
They win 3 straight and everyone on here will be singing a different tune yet again.

Not I. Guarded optimism was the best I could describe my feelings as at the team's high point, but wait-and-see is really my mindset. Lots of holes.

tstrike2000
06-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Avoiding surgery is a good thing, but who knows how long the recovery could take. And assuming he came back in 6-8 weeks, hopefully it wouldn't be too soon and would he even come back and be effective?

delben91
06-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Not I. Guarded optimism was the best I could describe my feelings as at the team's high point, but wait-and-see is really my mindset. Lots of holes.

Fair enough, everyone minus several notable exceptions. :cool:

broker3d
06-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Looks like Quintana will be here for a while. :whiner:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/13274746-574/john-danks-out-indefinitely-with-grade-i-tear-in-his-shoulder.html

Danks or no Danks, Quintana is staying in the rotation. Quintana is our #3 starter right now, even if Danks is back in rotation. The kid has been tremendous.

Danks coming back costs Humber his job, not Quintana.

thomas35forever
06-19-2012, 12:46 PM
While losing Danks for even longer is undoubtedly a bummer, I'd much rather have him for the stretch run. I know Quintana was going to stick around anyway, but at least this latest development buys Kenny some time as to what to do with the rotation. Obviously, that starts with demoting Zach Stewart. As for Floyd and Humber, you have to carefully analyze the situation. Who needs more work on his game? As soon as someone else gets cut or sent down (Stewart, Escobar, Fukudome, whoever), that frees up a spot. We need pitching right now. No question about it. A couple people mentioned Charlie Leesman last night. What about Terry Doyle? He's having a good year too. I'd rather see a younger guy fail than someone who's been here longer. At least we'd have lower expectations with one of those two starting. Frankly, I don't know know how many more Floyd/Humber starts I can take. Do something, but don't stand pat.

sox1970
06-19-2012, 12:47 PM
While losing Danks for even longer is undoubtedly a bummer, I'd much rather have him for the stretch run. I know Quintana was going to stick around anyway, but at least this latest development buys Kenny some time as to what to do with the rotation. Obviously, that starts with demoting Zach Stewart. As for Floyd and Humber, you have to carefully analyze the situation. Who needs more work on his game? As soon as someone else gets cut or sent down (Stewart, Escobar, Fukudome, whoever), that frees up a spot. We need pitching right now. No question about it. A couple people mentioned Charlie Leesman last night. What about Terry Doyle? He's having a good year too. I'd rather see a younger guy fail than someone who's been here longer. At least we'd have lower expectations with one of those two starting. Frankly, I don't know know how many more Floyd/Humber starts I can take. Do something, but don't stand pat.

Doyle got released last week. He's headed to Japan.

thomas35forever
06-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Doyle got released last week. He's headed to Japan.

Really? I must confess I'm not completely up on the farm system. Any reason given?

KMcMahon817
06-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Really? I must confess I'm not completely up on the farm system. Any reason given?

Was at Doyle's request.

SOX also announced that there is no "tear". It is just a strain.

Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien

White Sox announce that John Danks "strained" the subscapularis muscle in his left shoulder. No tear. Better news.

hawkjt
06-19-2012, 02:29 PM
It is good news that Danks only has a strained muscle....a tear really had me afraid he was gone for the rest of the year.
A strain can still take time,but if he is back by August, all is not lost.

Listening to Cooper this morning on the Score,he said that they feel like they spotted a mechanical flaw in Gavin Floyd's delivery and he is optimistic he can return to form. That will be tested tomorrow nite on another 95 degree wind blowing out game vs the Cubs.

If somehow they got Floyd going,with Quintana,Peavy and Sale being solid, they might be able to muddle thru till Danks got back with Humber.

doublem23
06-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Well there is a waste of 15 million, not that the Sox were getting their moneys worth when he was pitching. I know it would never happen but there should be some sort of "disability" pay scale when the play is on the DL.

He was hurt, or are you just dialing up the ignorance to fit the character you're trying to be?

KMcMahon817
06-19-2012, 02:38 PM
If somehow they got Floyd going,with Quintana,Peavy and Sale being solid, they might be able to muddle thru till Danks got back with Humber.

I still wouldn't be against acquiring a veteran arm. Doesn't even need to be mid rotation guy. Just someone who can give us 6 decent innings and a chance to get a W.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Story says 3-4 weeks then he can begin rehab assignment:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-soxs-danks-could-start-rehab-assignment-in-34-weeks-20120619,0,3708794.story

Lip

Zisk77
06-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Tear, sprain and strain are the same thing, it just depends on the degree. 1st degree + strain/sprain. 3rd = rupture.

Frontman
06-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Ok, and the lack of Danks is a bad thing? Danks really wasn't doing much prior to the injury, over than pitching batting practice.

We haven't hit All Star Break yet. I'll worry about the season ship "sinking" then.

Parrothead
06-20-2012, 06:40 AM
He was hurt, or are you just dialing up the ignorance to fit the character you're trying to be?

Hurt or not he is a .487 pitcher and not worth the 15+ million and he has been basically useless the last two years. That money should have went elsewhere.

In addition, the owners should have some protection for the money they are spending when a player is on the DL. When a regular person gets disability they don't get their full salary why should a player ?

Frontman
06-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Hurt or not he is a .487 pitcher and not worth the 15+ million and he has been basically useless the last two years. That money should have went elsewhere.

In addition, the owners should have some protection for the money they are spending when a player is on the DL. When a regular person gets disability they don't get their full salary why should a player ?

I'll leave others to pick apart your armchair GMing of all things White Sox, and ask you if you really think that the rules of employment for "regular" people also apply to pro athletes?