PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox Scout at White Sox Games

#1swisher
06-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Mark Gonzales said in his article on Morel that the Red Sox had a scout at the last four White Sox game.

Ryan Sweeney the latest, placed on the DL.
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/18/red-sox-place-ryan-sweeney-on-dl-with-foot-injury/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

ChiSoxFann
06-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Maybe they want a look at Floyd/Humber since the price on Dempster will be high? I know we're not giving up any of our outfielders and I don't know what else the Red Sox would want off our roster.

Gammons Peter
06-18-2012, 02:47 PM
They would deal Rios in a heartbeat...
Maybe swap money for Youkilis?

delben91
06-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Maybe they want a look at Floyd/Humber since the price on Dempster will be high? I know we're not giving up any of our outfielders and I don't know what else the Red Sox would want off our roster.

Maybe Thronton?

WhiteSox5187
06-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Maybe Thronton?

Why would anyone want Thornton? I suspect that they are probably looking at Rios and even though Rios is having a nice year so far I still think I would deal him to a team that is willing to take his contract.

FielderJones
06-18-2012, 03:55 PM
I suspect that they are probably looking at Rios and even though Rios is having a nice year so far I still think I would deal him to a team that is willing to take his contract.

So we can have Jordan Danks dive singles into triples? :angry:

WhiteSox5187
06-18-2012, 04:13 PM

I know that there isn't anyone to really replace him but it would save the Sox $24 million over the next two years if they do trade him. He's having a good year but he is making as much as Konerko is and he is just not worth that kind of money.

bestkosher
06-18-2012, 04:26 PM

Slight thread hijack but that is the one thing Ihate the most on MLB2k12. That dive that makes it a triple happens at least once a game.

FielderJones
06-18-2012, 04:45 PM
He's having a good year but he is making as much as Konerko is and he is just not worth that kind of money.

It's not your money, or mine. As long as he's playing well, I want Rios on this team.

Noneck
06-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Why would anyone want Thornton? I suspect that they are probably looking at Rios and even though Rios is having a nice year so far I still think I would deal him to a team that is willing to take his contract.

This really makes me think. If the Sox drop out of contention in the next month and a half, they may be able to unload all their bad contracts, Rios, Dunn, Thornton and Crain. Then there is AJ and Peavy. Thats a whopping 60M and some prospects in return. Now if this money was used correctly and not put in ownerships pocket, the future may not be too dim. Dont get me wrong, I am not hoping for the Sox to tank now but if they do there could be a silver lining.

palehozenychicty
06-18-2012, 07:53 PM
This really makes me think. If the Sox drop out of contention in the next month and a half, they may be able to unload all their bad contracts, Rios, Dunn, Thornton and Crain. Then there is AJ and Peavy. Thats a whopping 60M and some prospects in return. Now if this money was used correctly and not put in ownerships pocket, the future may not be too dim. Dont get me wrong, I am not hoping for the Sox to tank now but if they do there could be a silver lining.

It's definitely possible.

ChicagoG19
06-18-2012, 08:04 PM

Even if the Sox were in contention, I would still dump Rios or Dunn in a heartbeat just to get rid of those contracts. Plus, Peavy's contract comes off the books this year unless the Sox pick the $20MM option (unlikely).

soltrain21
06-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Even if the Sox were in contention, I would still dump Rios or Dunn in a heartbeat just to get rid of those contracts. Plus, Peavy's contract comes off the books this year unless the Sox pick the $20MM option (unlikely).

Getting rid of those contracts wouldn't mean anything since your ballpark would be about as empty as could be. Even worse than now.

TheOldRoman
06-18-2012, 08:44 PM
They would deal Rios in a heartbeat...
Maybe swap money for Youkilis?If they get rid or Rios they better damn well get prospects back with the Red Sox eating the huge majority of the salary. No veterans, because if Rios is gone, the Sox are folding up tent for the season.

Gammons Peter
06-18-2012, 09:20 PM
nope, there will be no prospects, just a money dump

balke
06-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Getting rid of those contracts wouldn't mean anything since your ballpark would be about as empty as could be. Even worse than now.

Doubt it. I would argue those seats are empty because of what damage their play did last year.

SCCWS
06-19-2012, 10:20 AM
The Red Sox will want pitching. They do not need outfielders. they just released Byrd this weekend. They have about 6 in all stages of injury returns.
I think they are checking out Thornton or Floyd. Hey maybe they will trade us Podsednik back. He is hitting .387 in the 20 games he has played for them.

balke
06-19-2012, 10:34 AM
The Red Sox will want pitching. They do not need outfielders. they just released Byrd this weekend. They have about 6 in all stages of injury returns.
I think they are checking out Thornton or Floyd. Hey maybe they will trade us Podsednik back. He is hitting .387 in the 20 games he has played for them.

If I'm the Red Sox - I'm looking at Sale and Peavy - maybe keeping Quintana in mind. I'm also looking at Reed, Crain, and Santiago.

I don't know why Sox fans think other teams trying to win are looking to take our struggling players all the time.

My main guess is they want Peavy.

TheOldRoman
06-19-2012, 10:41 AM
nope, there will be no prospects, just a money dumpWell, it it's a pure money dump, that means the Sox are bowing out of the race and trading for Youkilis wouldn't make a bit of sense.

TDog
06-19-2012, 06:40 PM

This is why it won't happen.

There are fans who will disagree with you, but most of them aren't going to many games now and have no intention of going to games if the Sox unload contracts.

cards press box
06-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Maybe Thronton?

Thornton for Youkilis does make some sense for both clubs.

PalehosePlanet
06-19-2012, 07:04 PM
My guess is that it's all Youkilis related. KW probably gave them three or four names that could be had for him.

The Red Sox have struggled mightily in the pen all year, so it's very possible that Thornton is indeed the match. Thornton is due roughly 8.5 more million through next year, while Youkilis, at about the same money due, expires after this year.

Foulke You
06-20-2012, 02:36 PM
My guess is that it's all Youkilis related. KW probably gave them three or four names that could be had for him.

The Red Sox have struggled mightily in the pen all year, so it's very possible that Thornton is indeed the match. Thornton is due roughly 8.5 more million through next year, while Youkilis, at about the same money due, expires after this year.
You could be right about that theory. Lefty relievers Leyson Septimo and Donnie Veal are both doing pretty well in Charlotte this year. They could be thinking one of them is ready to step in to replace Thornton. Honestly, I wouldn't be too upset about a Thornton for Youkalis swap. Youkalis is only under contract for this year and we would dump two years of Thornton who appears to be declining. Also, it would fill the black hole at 3B for at least one season. A move that helps this year and next year is always a good thing.

SCCWS
06-20-2012, 02:52 PM
You could be right about that theory. Lefty relievers Leyson Septimo and Donnie Veal are both doing pretty well in Charlotte this year. They could be thinking one of them is ready to step in to replace Thornton. Honestly, I wouldn't be too upset about a Thornton for Youkalis swap. Youkalis is only under contract for this year and we would dump two years of Thornton who appears to be declining. Also, it would fill the black hole at 3B for at least one season. A move that helps this year and next year is always a good thing.

I think WS can do better for Thornton. Youk is struggling w the bat since he returned from the injury. That is while he has the advantage of being surrounded by good hitters. He is also a mediocre 3rd baseman but an average first baseman.

Foulke You
06-20-2012, 03:27 PM
I think WS can do better for Thornton. Youk is struggling w the bat since he returned from the injury. That is while he has the advantage of being surrounded by good hitters. He is also a mediocre 3rd baseman but an average first baseman.
If this were the Thornton of 2 or 3 years ago, I'd agree with you. However, MLB scouts aren't blind. They all can see what we have seen with Thornton's fastball being down about 3-4 mph to go along with 5 losses already. He is still a decent reliever but he has a contract that is valued way higher than what he is actually delivering. He got that contract when he was still one of the best lefty setup men in the AL and was poised to take over the closer spot. Obviously, this is no longer the case and he is overpaid based on what you are getting out of him.

Youkalis may or may not be finished. Some players have a hard time playing well when their names are constantly surfacing in trade rumors. In Boston, I'm sure the rumor mill is magnified. He also had some nagging injuries early. It's not like the bar has been set real high with Morel and Hudson. If he just provides a little bit of power, gives us quality ABs, and doesn't kill us on defense, it would still be an upgrade over what we have while cutting loose $6 million for next season assuming Boston takes on his whole contract.

Tragg
06-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Are our scouts watching the Red Sox and their farm system?
Or will this be another "Friendly" deal.

SCCWS
06-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Are our scouts watching the Red Sox and their farm system?
Or will this be another "Friendly" deal.

No need. Our scout is familiar enough with Podsednek. Just waiting for him to come off DL

dickallen15
06-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Youk's June OPS is worse than Orlando Hudson's. I hope KW is not interested.

samurai_sox
06-20-2012, 11:02 PM

:KW

"You know, I've always liked that YOUUK!!! chant."

palehozenychicty
06-21-2012, 01:54 AM
This is why it won't happen.

There are fans who will disagree with you, but most of them aren't going to many games now and have no intention of going to games if the Sox unload contracts.

So then why hold onto a heavy payroll and finish as a middling team if crowds aren't showing up either way?

Time will tell on this season, but that line of thinking is why the Sox don't get into the playoffs very much.

cards press box
06-21-2012, 06:08 AM

Maybe Ohman for Youkilis would be a fairer deal at this point.