PDA

View Full Version : Morel Update...

Lip Man 1
06-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Story says he's out for at least the next four to five weeks. His back conditioning program is going to take that long... minimum (then I presume he'd have to go on a rehab assignment...)

Basically it looks like best case August.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0618-bits-white-sox-dodgers-chicago--20120618,0,1829688.story

Lip

Hartman
06-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Take your time.

doublem23
06-18-2012, 02:00 AM
I think best case is never. Guy can't play in the Majors everyday. He's not the first, certainly not the last.

dickallen15
06-18-2012, 07:21 AM
I think best case is never. Guy can't play in the Majors everyday. He's not the first, certainly not the last.

You are probably right, but he has been playing with a bad back all season. If he can get that fixed, and its a huge if, it wouldn't be the worst thing to give him another shot. I wouldn't hand him the job, but make him earn it.

Frater Perdurabo
06-18-2012, 07:48 AM

How can you judge a guy's swing if he's had a bad back that affects his swing?

There's very little difference between what you posted and openly rooting for Morel to fail.

I think the best case - however unlikely - is that the rehab works and he comes back and hits well and fields well. I don't see how any Sox fan could claim anything else would be the "best case."

TomBradley72
06-18-2012, 09:59 AM
I think it's really tough to assess Morel's hitting this year since he's had back issues since spring training.

IF he came back 100% healthy- and we could get his solid defense along with a .250 batting average and the occasional HR- that would be a nice upgrade for this team- especially with how the overall offense is producing.

With that said- I think it's delusional that he'll return and have any impact this year- I've seen this movie before- it's not going to happen.

kittle42
06-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Who? :wink:

Domeshot17
06-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Hopefully he heals up, because Orlando Hudson has been worse than Morel. The guy had a nice few starts, but he is hitting .183 with the Sox with an OPS under .600. He has not just been bad, he has been downright pathetically terrible.

shingo10
06-18-2012, 12:14 PM
This is very discouraging. Say what you will about Morel but clearly something was wrong this year. Not only was it affecting his hitting but he was reacting slowly over at third. A healthy Morel would give this team a huge boost. Hudson's D is shoddy at best.

But if he comes back mid August he can help us in time for the playoff push.

kittle42
06-18-2012, 12:15 PM

If there is one.

tstrike2000
06-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Will have a big bat back just in time for the stretch run!

chisoxfanatic
06-18-2012, 01:03 PM
I'll just say that I'm glad the Sox aren't rushing him back here. Stuff like back problems are not to be taken lightly.

#1swisher
06-18-2012, 01:33 PM
The article states, a program for his glutes and core area. I think that's good news, as he's not having surgery. :cool:

WhiteSox5187
06-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Hopefully he heals up, because Orlando Hudson has been worse than Morel. The guy had a nice few starts, but he is hitting .183 with the Sox with an OPS under .600. He has not just been bad, he has been downright pathetically terrible.

Hudson's defense has also been suspect at times. Were Morel healthy he might put up similar offensive numbers but if he could put those numbers up with good defense I'd be able to live with it.

palehozenychicty
06-18-2012, 09:28 PM

There was a reason why he couldn't even stick with the Friars. They need all the help in the world. He may be done as a major league player.

Huisj
06-18-2012, 11:28 PM
This is very discouraging. Say what you will about Morel but clearly something was wrong this year. Not only was it affecting his hitting but he was reacting slowly over at third. A healthy Morel would give this team a huge boost. Hudson's D is shoddy at best.

And imagine if he could get hot for September the way he did last year. It's easy to remember how bad he looked this year and naturally jump to the conclusion that he's terrible, but I think he still deserves another full shot if he gets to a point where he's 100% healthy, because he earned it with the way he played down the stretch last year. He looked like a totally different (dangerous) hitter.

PalehosePlanet
06-18-2012, 11:36 PM
If Morel does get healthy he better learn to play some SS and 2B and try to make the majors as a utility player.

Low OBP, low power, no speed guys are worthless if not versatile.