PDA

View Full Version : Rotation "Adjustment" ...

Lip Man 1
06-17-2012, 01:13 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sox-adjust-rotation-sale-receives-two-extra-days-of-rest-20120616,0,5827566.story

Lip

soxfan21
06-17-2012, 01:18 AM
At least I get to see Jake Tuesday instead of Gavin. I was starting to dread going to the game, but now it looks like Tuesday will be our best chance to win. Don't know about giving Stewart a chance to start though. Just hope for the best I guess.

LITTLE NELL
06-17-2012, 06:15 AM
Stewart to pitch against the Flubs, there goes the sweep I was hoping for.

TomBradley72
06-17-2012, 07:45 AM
This is starting to look like 2000- when eventually we couldn't hold Baldwin and Eldred together anymore- and no real depth to help them (Ken Hill?)

LITTLE NELL
06-17-2012, 07:49 AM
This is starting to look like 2000- when eventually we couldn't hold Baldwin and Eldred together anymore- and no real depth to help them (Ken Hill?)

I'm hoping that things aren't too serious with Danks.
I'm sure they have done an MRI on him and this latest soreness is just a bump in the road on the road to recovery.

Tragg
06-17-2012, 09:26 AM
Is Stewart out of options?
Surely they could bring up Axlerod or someone.

Zakath
06-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Crap. I have tickets for next Sunday vs. Milwaukee and was hoping to see Jake.

shingo10
06-17-2012, 10:52 AM
I sure hope Quintana can go a long way today because if not then who is gonna cover the load? Jones, Crain, and Santiago are all tapped out. Stewart isn't available...So, Ohman and Thornton? And by the same token if Stewart can't go far on Monday, then who will cover those innings?

Ugh. We need some great news about Danks tomorrow. Something to ease the burden of the pen and the few starters who are actually doing their job.

Noneck
06-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Quintana has to go deep today with Stewart going tomorrow and the bullpen spent. Giving Sale more rest makes sense but in the second half I want the Sox to use Peavy like a rental car.

Chez
06-17-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm fine with this (as if my opinion matters!). Good idea to give Jake and Chris some extra rest. I'm hoping Dempster gets traded today or tomorrow so we miss him this series.

amsteel
06-17-2012, 12:33 PM
I think this is a roundabout way of saying 'Danks won't be back soon, so we need to figure out who's gonna fill in when we officially demote Humber and/or Floyd'.

TDog
06-17-2012, 12:51 PM

It might remind you of 2000, but this pitching staff is nowhere near as challenged. The arm injuries were serious in 2000. The only pitcher who seemed to survive the season was Sirotka, and he never pitched another major league game after his ALDS start. Jim Parque never had more than five major league starts in a season after that but attempted to hold on for a few more years. Eldred was pitching with a surgical screw in his arm. Baldwin was a hard thrower in July and a relative soft tosser in October. Wells and Garland were still prospects who hadn't found it yet (not that Wells held on to it for long, and Garland was in the right time and place for the White Sox when his career peaked).

In August, though, when rookie Mark Buehrle came in to relieve Baldwin in a Sunday afternoon shutout, a fan behind me was talking to a friend from out of town about how deep the Sox pitching was to have such a good young starting prosect coming in to mop up with a 13-run lead for a pitcher about to go 13-4.

The 2000 rotation just fell apart, quite suddenly as if they put everything they had into their 95-win season. Five years later, under a different manager and pitching coach, it was the pitching that pretty much carried the team at the end to 99 wins and an 11-1 postseason run. I trust Don Cooper to get a good pitching staff through a season. The current struggle of the staff seem to be maintenance issues and not, as 2000 turned out to be, catastrophic.

fram40
06-17-2012, 01:44 PM
The current struggle of the staff seem to be maintenance issues and not, as 2000 turned out to be, catastrophic.

I hope you are right. This team needs to get its pitching together - and quickly.

cards press box
06-17-2012, 08:51 PM

It might remind you of 2000, but this pitching staff is nowhere near as challenged.

I agree with T Dog. The spot start for Stewart is really a maintenance issue and the staff, as far as I can tell, does not appear anywhere near as beat up as was the case in 2000.

Using a spot starter used to be common in baseball, particularly when teams played a number of doubleheaders during the year. I hope that Stewart can give the Sox 5 or 6 good innings tomorrow against the Cubs and that the bullpen can carry the Sox home to a win.

Lip Man 1
06-17-2012, 11:13 PM
The 2000 staff lost Eldred in July, Baldwin missed a month, Sirotka blew out his arm the last month (although it wasn't diagnosed at the time until the Japan series) and Parque hurt himself the final week I think pitching against Boston.

Manager Ghandi said after the fact that if the division series had gone to a 4th or 5th game Parque was done.

The Sox also had Wunsch and Howry undergo surgery that off season and I might be missing a guy or two.

No the pitching staff isn't at that level (yet...)

Lip

soxfanreggie
06-18-2012, 12:16 AM
The 2000 staff lost Eldred in July, Baldwin missed a month, Sirotka blew out his arm the last month (although it wasn't diagnosed at the time until the Japan series) and Parque hurt himself the final week I think pitching against Boston.

Manager Ghandi said after the fact that if the division series had gone to a 4th or 5th game Parque was done.

The Sox also had Wunsch and Howry undergo surgery that off season and I might be missing a guy or two.

Lip

PK and Mags were so young then, and heck, Baines was still playing. That team featured several guys you would see on an All-Sox team from a hitting perspective. Pitching...that's a different story (besides the start to MB's career).

I was so excited not to be watching Jamie Navarro anymore, but it was rough watching our staff fall apart physically.

One thing I do remember about that season pitching - James Baldwin did get the win in his only All-Star appearance even though he gave up a HR.

thomas35forever
06-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Think of this as Stewart's last chance to impress Sox brass before they send him down. Danks is hopefully on his way back soon and someone will have to go when that happens. A good outing tonight will make KW's job tougher. It'd be a good problem to have and hopefully, that's the case. To put it another way, if he can't pitch well against the worst team in baseball, he deserves to go down to Charlotte.

Noneck
06-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Think of this as Stewart's last chance to impress Sox brass before they send him down. Danks is hopefully on his way back soon and someone will have to go when that happens. A good outing tonight will make KW's job tougher. It'd be a good problem to have and hopefully, that's the case. To put it another way, if he can't pitch well against the worst team in baseball, he deserves to go down to Charlotte.

Does Stewart still have options available?

Hartman
06-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Who will pitch Saturday?

hoosiersoxfan
06-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Who will pitch Saturday?

Humber is scheduled for Saturday.

mahagga73
06-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Stewart to pitch against the Flubs, there goes the sweep I was hoping for.
He looked as awesome as I thought he was going to be tonight. When you start a marginal major leaguer like Stewart you cannot expect to beat even the worst team in baseball. It is a plain throwaway game.

Frater Perdurabo
06-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Next adjustment needs to be Stewart to Charlotte, Axelrod to the pen.

Huisj
06-18-2012, 10:25 PM

Lip

That was the last year Bill Simas pitched in the big leagues too. I think he ended up with shoulder problems late in the year and made a couple of appearances late after a DL stint, and then he was done.

And I don't know if you can throw Lorenzo Barcelo in there too. He seemed to be perpetually sort of hurt since the day after the white flag trade, and the two months he spent in the bullpen at the end of that season as a rookie really were the pinnacle of his career.

It's really unreal to look back at what happened to that pitching staff. At the time, it was disappointing, but in a way, it didn't seem all that surprising, because it just seemed like the norm that pitchers got hurt at that rate. Now with the relative health and success that the Sox pitching has had in more recent years, it just seems crazy that there were that many major injuries in one year, especially one when the team won 95 games.

Lip Man 1
06-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Huisj:

Injuries also destroyed the 2004 team and injuries were a major contributor as to why they were as bad as they were in 2007 (although the overall talent level was poor - those injuries didn't help matters...)

Lip

Hartman
06-19-2012, 07:17 AM
Anyone hear Bill Melton slip up and say the Sox were going to a 6-man rotation during the pregame show yesterday :D: