PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6/16 Bullpen Saves Humber's Postgamer

FielderJones
06-17-2012, 01:31 AM
Nice job by Santiago, Jones, Crain, and Reed to preserve the 5-4 win.

shingo10
06-17-2012, 01:31 AM
Wow.

Painful game to watch but YES! We'll take it.

Take the series tomorrow boys.

mzh
06-17-2012, 01:33 AM
One of the more tense wins I can remember, but as Hawk would say, the bullpen cinched up and hunkered down. Real gutsy performance. 1.5 up.

For all the complaining we do, nobody in the division has proven that they're any better. Keep at it boys! :gulp:

Zakath
06-17-2012, 01:35 AM
4 innings, 0 H, 2 BB, 5 K for the quartet.

We needed to stop the bleeding after 3 straight losses, and the 'pen came up big when needed.

Foulke You
06-17-2012, 01:36 AM
Very big win tonight. Losing streak broken and we gain back that game on the Tribe. Humber was lucky to escape with the win. He is just rolling too many curveballs and missing way out of the zone. Nice rebound game for the bullpen after a bad one last night. Oh, and Alex Rios is on fire right now. Locked in.

Noneck
06-17-2012, 01:38 AM
Big win, some cinks in the armor but this team doesnt roll over and die. Get that .500 road trip tomorrow.

supportsox
06-17-2012, 01:40 AM
This team seems to be super confident right now. To come back after last night's crushing disappointment is impressive. Humber was not always effective, but gutsy of him to come back and hold them after he got roughed up. Great effort against top-notch opposition.

BigKlu59
06-17-2012, 01:42 AM
What? The ping -pong Sox gotcha having chest grabbers.. One thing I can say is at least these games are "interesting" into the late innings.. Was musing over the turn around of Dunn and Rios, De Aza hittin a crisp .300 and wondering why we aint about 7 games up. Not bad so far playing on the lot in the Ravine... Would have been nice to have grabbed both these games so far, but playing the 1st Place Trolley Dodgers even up at this point bodes well going into the Cross Town against the Nort-Siders.

BK59

JB98
06-17-2012, 01:42 AM
It's hard to believe Humber is walking out of Dodger Stadium with a win tonight as poorly as he pitched.

Clutch pitches by Jones in the seventh, retiring the No. 4 and No. 5 hitters in the Dodger lineup with the tying run in scoring position. Also, a big caught stealing there in the eighth with Pierzynski throwing out Gwynn to bail out Crain after a leadoff walk.

Zakath
06-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Oh, and Alex Rios is on fire right now. Locked in.

63rd game of the season for him and he's gotten at least a hit in 45 of them.

Since mid-April, his average hasn't dropped below .267, and at the moment he's sitting at .300.

He joins AJ as being the only Sox with more RBI than K's.

Soxman219
06-17-2012, 01:46 AM
Was tense watching this game when I turned it on in the 6th. Glad the bullpen came up huge. Get the series win later today!

Brian26
06-17-2012, 01:47 AM
To come back after last night's crushing disappointment is impressive. Humber was not always effective, but gutsy of him to come back and hold them after he got roughed up.

Eh, there was nothing "gutsy" about his performance. Humber had nothing, including giving up six hits in an inning and letting Billingsley get hits off him twice, a guy who had two hits in his 27 ABs this season. Humber threw something like 85 pitches through four innings. Terrible outing, and its pure luck he escaped with a win.

Lip Man 1
06-17-2012, 01:59 AM
It's not rocket science. Even in a mediocre division you only go as far as your pitching.

Right now, Sox starting pitching overall is bad. Bad as in Humber has been going south for a year now since the All Star Break from last year, Floyd appears to be "on another planet" as I was told by one of the beat writers and Danks is apparently injured worse then everyone was first thinking. (You don't have a second examination because you just enjoy wasting a doctors time...)

For the Sox to stay in this they have GOT to get some starting pitching but how in the hell can you do that with little to trade and little help in the minors to potentially be another option?

That's the million dollar question Kenny has to figure out.

And with all this work by the bullpen the past two days they are tapped out.

Nice to get the win tonight, no question it's better than another loss, but the starting pitching is cracking wide open.

Lip

PalehosePlanet
06-17-2012, 02:02 AM
Unlike Ozzie's teams of the last three years or so, when this team is slumping -- as we are now -- at least we fight, scratch and claw and pull out some wins.

I'll be honest, when the score was 5-4 in the top of the 4th, I thought we'd need 9 or 10 runs to win this game. Pleasantly surprised that we hung on.

supportsox
06-17-2012, 02:07 AM
Eh, there was nothing "gutsy" about his performance. Humber had nothing, including giving up six hits in an inning and letting Billingsley get hits off him twice, a guy who had two hits in his 27 ABs this season. Humber threw something like 85 pitches through four innings. Terrible outing, and its pure luck he escaped with a win.

I just liked the way he came back and gave us 2 scoreless innings after he imploded in the third. Hopefully it will give him some needed confidence.

BigKlu59
06-17-2012, 02:10 AM
Another musing.... Past 2 games stated 45,000 plus in the Ravine..Sure looked like alot of yellow all around the stands... Are the churros that good that the lines serpentine out to the parking lots? Only had the Dodger feed on MLB last night and heard Vin for the first time in a long time.. Had some nice words about the Sox. For an Oldtimer he does have engine run on and I'm impressed he can still carry a game flawlessly . Must be because he announces like I post..:D:

BK59

kittle42
06-17-2012, 02:46 AM
It's not rocket science. Even in a mediocre division you only go as far as your pitching.

Right now, Sox starting pitching overall is bad. Bad as in Humber has been going south for a year now since the All Star Break from last year, Floyd appears to be "on another planet" as I was told by one of the beat writers and Danks is apparently injured worse then everyone was first thinking. (You don't have a second examination because you just enjoy wasting a doctors time...)

For the Sox to stay in this they have GOT to get some starting pitching but how in the hell can you do that with little to trade and little help in the minors to potentially be another option?

Nice to get the win tonight, no question it's better than another loss, but the starting pitching is cracking wide open.

Lip

Dead on, Lip.

TDog
06-17-2012, 03:35 AM
I just liked the way he came back and gave us 2 scoreless innings after he imploded in the third. Hopefully it will give him some needed confidence.

The two scoreless innings he pitched after the four-run third were crucial to winning the game because the bullpen probably didn't have much more than four scoreless innings in it tonight. Friday night, the bullpen lost a two-run lead. (Crane at least as responsible as Thornton -- probably more -- for Friday's loss.) Humber ended up not allowing 5 runs in 5.2 innings. Humber gave up 4 in 5. Oddly enough, the run Humber drove in was huge, just as the run the Sox didn't score Friday night from third with less than two outs.

It looked like Humber wasn't getting any sharp movement on his breaking pitches early in the game. There were times, sadly brief, in his last start against Houston when he was brilliant, in one inning striking out the side on 10 pitches. I don't know if he is pitching with a bit of a dead arm or if he is struggling with his mechanics. It has to be a lot harder to work out of the stretch than out of the windup, and he was in the stretch just about the entire game tonight.

The difference in the game turned out to be the run scored without a contributing hit. Billingsley hit Ramirez who stole second and went to third on the ground ball to the right side, which didn't cost the Sox an out because Hairston booted it. Tonight De Aza got the runner in from third with a groundout.

Funny how the Dodgers are such a big-inning team. All four runs they scored tonight were scored in one inning. Five of the seven runs they scored Friday night were scored in one inning. Fortunately, tonight the Dodgers only hit singles.

This has been a tough roadtrip to St. Louis and Los Angeles, both tough teams, and the only strong start ended in a 1-0 loss. The Sox will need a strong outing from Quintana on Sunday. Dodger stadium in the daytime tends to play smaller.

I had the opportunity to see the KTLA broadcast on MLB tonight, and I quite enjoyed listening to Vin Scully call the game. I didn't realize he does that home games solo.

kufram
06-17-2012, 06:00 AM
I woke up twice in the wee hours and checked the game on my phone. first we were ahead early.... next time I think it was tied and still early and I thought it would be a loss. then in the early hours of the morning I saw the result. A win is a win. I'll take it. Bull pen did a great job, it seems.

We have had all the components of the game working this season but never all at once. We need the starters to settle.... everybody knows that. I think it will get better. I'm a little concerned about playing everybody but AJ every day or close to it.... but what do I know?

The best news is that we have a team that doesn't give up and that is invaluable. We need a little hot streak now to counter the last week or so.

LITTLE NELL
06-17-2012, 07:13 AM
Another musing.... Past 2 games stated 45,000 plus in the Ravine..Sure looked like alot of yellow all around the stands... Are the churros that good that the lines serpentine out to the parking lots? Only had the Dodger feed on MLB last night and heard Vin for the first time in a long time.. Had some nice words about the Sox. For an Oldtimer he does have engine run on and I'm impressed he can still carry a game flawlessly . Must be because he announces like I post..:D:

BK59

Your posts are much more entertaining and better than his game calling.

TomBradley72
06-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Separate from the current state of our starting pitching- the 2012 White Sox are just fun team to watch- they always fight and scratch to the end- and I like Ventura's agressiveness sending guys to steal bases in a tight one run game as well as his bullpen management-

Overall a very interesting series so far against the best team in the NL.

Only one more game of Dunn in LF- what a relief.

It was cool listening to Scully before the game talking about his memories fo the 1959 World Series.

The Rays, Cards and Dodgers series on the road have all been some of the highest quality baseball since 2005- tight, well played games against high quality opponents. If it wasn't for losing 2/3 to Royals/Mariners/Astros at home- we'd have a little more breathing room vs. the Tribe and Cats from Motor City.

Tragg
06-17-2012, 10:25 AM
We've lost one game in the standings since the slump started. Not getting swept and the Indians/Tigers not getting hot help a lot.

SCCWS
06-17-2012, 10:49 AM
The bullpen was taxed on Friday and then again last night. But I felt Jones was a wasted opportunity. He came in and threw 6 pitches. I thought he should have come back for the 8th. If he does that, maybe you save Crane. It seems managers have a set plan and don't want to deviate. Not just Robin, they all seem very rigid in their set up and closer. I also think if the set-up guy comes in and only faces a batter or two in 8th and is very sharp, it may be better to let him come back for ther 9th and save the closer.

hawkjt
06-17-2012, 10:58 AM
Well done ,bullpen,and offense.
I hammered Crain and Thornton after friday nites game,but got to tip the hat to the bullpen today after pulling out a huge win to staunch the bleeding vs the best team in baseball.

Sox easily could be going for a 5-1 road trip vs two of the best in the NL today, so they are not playing as bad as it seems. The offense is hanging very tough,with this red-hot streak by Alex,along with Adam,very timely right now,to pick up AJ and PK.

Yes, the pitching looks like a mess right now..and it is.
But,I just do not see a lot of great starting staffs around baseball.
Kershaw and Billingsly are great,right? Not so much.

As long as Jake and Chris remain consistently good(an occasional off outing is allowed,tho) the Sox have some hope.

Danks has to return,at least for the second half,and produce.

Gavin has to find his groove,and get it together. Still, who gives a flying crap if a Sox beat writer thinks that Gavin is not Einstein?

A. It doesn't matter, he is paid to pitch,and....

B. That beat writer might be lazy and going off of the 5 minute postgame interviews and making conclusions that are unfounded. Personally, I do not care if Gavin is channeling Tim Robbins in Bull Durham...why does AJ get a pass if he is calling the game?

I am very leery of Stewart going into the rotation,but maybe,just maybe,Robin will catch lightning in a bottle and Stewart might snap out of his funk(but I wonder if he just does not have good enough stuff).
Worth a try,I suppose.

Any more Quintana's down on the farm? Might be worth a reach to try to catch more lightning in a bottle like with Q.

Fister had a good outing for the Tigers yesterday,first time in months that he has gone....not good. If he stays good, they have a better rotation than the Sox,and their offense is at least equal. Ouch.

SI1020
06-17-2012, 11:23 AM
The bullpen was taxed on Friday and then again last night. But I felt Jones was a wasted opportunity. He came in and threw 6 pitches. I thought he should have come back for the 8th. If he does that, maybe you save Crane. It seems managers have a set plan and don't want to deviate. Not just Robin, they all seem very rigid in their set up and closer. I also think if the set-up guy comes in and only faces a batter or two in 8th and is very sharp, it may be better to let him come back for ther 9th and save the closer. Managers are petrified of going against the LaRussa rules of how and when to use your relievers. Worse, some pitchers seem to become head cases when they are asked to deviate from an assigned role. I've been preaching against this development in baseball for years, and for the most part I think to the yawns of the gallery.

cards press box
06-17-2012, 12:33 PM

Lip

Lip, this might sound counterintuitive but maybe the answer to the million dollar question is this: trade Gavin Floyd to one of the teams who have had starters go down in the past few days (Atlanta, Boston, Toronto come to mind) for prospects and then flip the prospects for an older veteran pitcher like Ryan Dempster.

In any event, the bullpen did great last night. I know that the Sox get a lot of criticism for their minor league system but let's not forget that Nate Jones and Addison Reed are rookies and are doing very well.

As for last night's win,

:winner

Lip Man 1
06-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Hawk:

It's just an example from someone who follows every game he throws that the decisions he makes on the mound leave you wondering what is going on.

This is not a rookie, this is not someone who has been brought up for half a season...Floyd is a five year vet with what...a thousand innings pitched and he's still making decisions that make you go, "what?"

That I think is his point. And I happen to agree with it.

Lip

TaylorStSox
06-17-2012, 01:04 PM
I wonder if Humber and/or Floyd are tipping their pitches. They're getting killed even when they have good stuff.

HomeFish
06-17-2012, 01:39 PM
This is one of the few times so far this season that I've been able to watch the White Sox on TV. It was my first time seeing a few players, like Humber and much of the bullpen.

It's almost comical how the lower rotation pitchers like Humber can't hold the very large leads that this offense is capable of producing. However, Addison Reed looks like one heck of a ballplayer.

guillensdisciple
06-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Definitely thought last nights game was going to be a 10-9 affair. Glad to see we settled.

The sox are battling, and that's all i can ask for. I am weary about Floyd and humber as many of us have said, but happy to see this team fight.

cards press box
06-17-2012, 09:53 PM
I wonder if Humber and/or Floyd are tipping their pitches. They're getting killed even when they have good stuff.

Yeah, I also wondered if Humber was doing that in the last game against Houston a week ago.

Lip Man 1
06-18-2012, 12:09 AM
It's possible in which case it's up to the coaching staff to figure it out in a hurry through video study.

Lip