PDA

View Full Version : REMINDER - White Sox Charities Garage Sale & Family Field Day tomorrow

doublem23
06-15-2012, 07:06 PM
The Garage Sale is 9 AM - 2 PM, enter at Gate 2. Admission to the garage sale is free.

Family Field Day is tomorrow, too. Gotta buy tickets, though:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/community/charities_fundraisers.jsp

amsteel
06-16-2012, 03:21 AM
I didn't know the garage sale was free, thanks!

yazz32
06-16-2012, 03:58 PM
I didn't know the garage sale was free, thanks!

Did anyone go?

Brian26
06-16-2012, 04:31 PM
I spent a whopping three dollars. Probably wasn't worth the hassle of going down there, but I like trying to pick up the $1 yearbooks, programs and media guides for my collection. For a buck a piece, they're fun to look through. I was surprised they still had a program from 2000 floating around. The cover on the Rios is slightly ripped, but no big deal.

Looked like they had the usual game used bats and jerseys for sale, but I didn't really spend much time looking at that.

I saw they had some Fisk statues on the table early, but those were gobbled up pretty quickly, as I saw people walking around with multiple copies of those in their hands.

ChiSoxFann
06-16-2012, 06:51 PM
This year I picked up an AJ used bat, replica WS trophy, a few baseballs and a $10 fitted hat. I always buy a new hat every year at the sale rather than pay the $30 anywhere else.

The last few years the yard sales have been pretty underwhelming. I still like to go in case they ever have a rare or cool item that I would like to buy, but it seems they rarely have anything like that anymore. I don't buy jerseys, I have all the bobbleheads from going to those games and I only glance at the bats so there really isn't much else there. It was pretty weak this year, IMHO.

It still amazes me people buy boxes of programs. This one guy filled 4 or 5 boxes full of old programs and had to keep picking them up as he walked through the checkout line.

We did the Family Field day too. The Chicago Sports Depot gave away a gift bag to anyone who did the field day so after our session we walked over to the shop. My gift bag had a XXL Swisher jersey shirt, a medium Jermaine Dye '83 jersey shirt and a pack of cards. I also bought a Jay Cutler Reebok Bears jersey since all Reebok Bears jerseys are now 50% off. I hate the way the new Nike NFL jerseys look so I figured I'd buy a Reebok one before they all disappear.

soxfan21
06-16-2012, 08:39 PM
I got there early, and was able to pick up a white sox clubhouse folding chair for 100, it was one of only three there. I was also able to pick up a MLB authenticated champagne bottle from the clubhouse celebration after game 4 of the world series for 100. I also got a brick from old Comiskey. Pretty good haul overall for myself.

BainesHOF
06-16-2012, 08:52 PM
It was a typical Garage Sale with something for everyone. While it wasn't overhelming with quality stuff, you have to remember items are also sold at Soxfest, as well as, at least last year, at the winter sale at the park. There were still some cool things to be had if you looked closely.

Surprisingly, there were 2012 dugout lineup cards available. They weren't cheap at $75, but I was able to pick up one from a victory against Seattle that I attended. Not only does it feature our "A" lineup, but future Hall of Famer is leading off for Seattle. Also, there were a handful of the smaller manager lineup cards from the Sox as well as other teams from this season. I bought two Sox cards, including the matching one from the Seattle game. Each is signed by Ventura. To me, the manager lineup cards were the true rarity at the sale. There were so few available that they weren't even marked with a price. I wound up getting the pair for $50 total. (I have a few of these manager cards from over the years, but don't have one from Ozzie's tenure. In case anyone out there has one...)

I also picked up a Rios cap for $50, spring-training locker nameplates of Andrew Jones, Peavy and Dunn for $15 apiece, a handful of programs/yearbooks and an autographed Jones photo for $2. There were lots of autographed photos of past players for $2. I saw some people buying autographed Thome and Thomas photos for $25 apiece.

All in all, game-used items bats were priced more reasonably than in the recent past. A couple good Dunn bats were quickly scooped up for $200 a pop. I saw a couple more Dunn models that for some reason had Peavy's number on the nob. That Peavy would want to swing such a big, heavy bat doesn't make sense. Ramirez bats were $100. I think Beckham was $125. A friend picked up a nice Danks bat for $100.

Fisk statues sold quickly at $25.

Kudos to the Sox for holding such a cool sale to benefit charity.

Parrothead
06-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Stopped going years ago. It is pointless these days.

I remember when you could pick a game worn jersey (by a no name guy) for $25 or $50 and some pants for $10. Progress, I guess.

amsteel
06-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Stopped going years ago. It is pointless these days.

I remember when you could pick a game worn jersey (by a no name guy) for $25 or $50 and some pants for $10. Progress, I guess.

They had no-name jerseys for 50$ and pants for 10$.

I got a Shingo poster/print thing for 5$. By next year all the CQ stuff will be even cheaper and I'll make a haul then.

jcw218
06-17-2012, 11:58 AM
I went and was able to pick up a Garcia #43 jersey and a couple of yearbooks\programs for a decent price.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Parrothead
06-18-2012, 07:07 AM
They had no-name jerseys for 50$ and pants for 10$.

I got a Shingo poster/print thing for 5$. By next year all the CQ stuff will be even cheaper and I'll make a haul then.

Maybe its time to go start going back.

palehosepub
06-18-2012, 09:49 AM
I thought the garage sale was OK, there were many game jerseys available for $50 - you can't buy authentic jerseys to wear for double that. I saw many people buying them based on size to wear.

I wanted a Sale jersey and picked up a 2011 Black set 1 jersey and his warmup/ pregame jersey so I was happy I achieved my mission. The Sale game jersey was the only one I saw there but there were a few pre- game / warmups.

Some of the jersey pricing was a bit out of touch, Vizquel and Buehrle jerseys were marked $1000 each.

I saw one Thome jersey for $1200.

I literally must have seen 50 Ozzie jerseys there were dozens on the rack and a whole pile on another table -it was almost like they wanted to purge every one.

They also had 2003 All Star game programs and 2005 World Series programs for $1 each, you cant beat that.

Its a nice event for charity, they must bring in many tens of thousands of dollars based on the activity I saw.

dwitt76
06-18-2012, 12:09 PM
I went as well. I was hoping for the Fisk statue or any other bobblehead. I got there right at 9 which was a huge mistake. Big line to get in but moved fairly quickly. Didn't get into the garage sale till about 9:35. The bobblehead table was empty except for a replica 05 trophy which i picked up. The guy in front of me checking out had 2 box fulls of bobbleheads :angry: