PDA

View Full Version : 2013 World Baseball Classic

#1swisher
06-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Joe Torre has been named manager of Team USA.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120614&content_id=33292874&vkey=pr_mlb&c_id=mlb

SephClone89
06-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Huh, cool. Looking forward to it this time around.

gobears1987
06-15-2012, 02:16 PM
It still sucks.

With that said, Go Israel!

Looking at the qualification pool, Israel will probably qualify, but barely any of the players will actually be Israeli. I shouldn't be complaining since the weak rules that determine who an play for who greatly benefit the Israeli team, but it still sort of cheapens the competition.

amsteel
06-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Can't wait! I really dig the WBC, although I wish they'd get rid of the pitch count rules.

Crossing my fingers I can make down for qualifying in Jupiter, FL in November.

beasly213
06-15-2012, 03:23 PM
I was in a sports writing class in college the first year of the WBC. Before it started the entire class including the teacher thought it was a horrible dumb idea.

Then the games started and it was a complete 180. The whole class caught "WBC Fever" Myself included. It's a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to it. I think with MLB network around it'll be even more fun.

Lip Man 1
06-15-2012, 03:29 PM
God no...again?

Lip

DonnieDarko
06-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Glad to have it back.

Madvora
06-15-2012, 03:38 PM
I love it, but I wish I had more interest in the US team. I always wonder how Europeans can watch an entire soccer season of their favorite club team, hate the competition, then all of a sudden turn around and support their "enemies" on their own national team. I haven't been able to do that. I like very few players that aren't on the Sox.
Now that I think of it, I do love following Olympic hockey (which is basically the hockey World Cup,) but that's probably because I don't watch too much of the NHL anymore.

cub killer
06-15-2012, 03:45 PM
It still sucks.

With that said, Go Israel!

Looking at the qualification pool, Israel will probably qualify, but barely any of the players will actually be Israeli. I shouldn't be complaining since the weak rules that determine who an play for who greatly benefit the Israeli team, but it still sort of cheapens the competition.
I don't think it cheapens the competition. Aren't the rules the same as the World Cup? As long as you have at least 1 grandparent from the old country? It was cool to see Mike Piazza play with his Italian brethren.

russ99
06-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Aw geez... Bud is going to shove his "World Baseball Craptacular" down our throats again?

Give it a rest already.

SephClone89
06-15-2012, 04:38 PM
I was in a sports writing class in college the first year of the WBC. Before it started the entire class including the teacher thought it was a horrible dumb idea.

Then the games started and it was a complete 180. The whole class caught "WBC Fever" Myself included. It's a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to it. I think with MLB network around it'll be even more fun.

MLBN was around last time around, actually. The WBC essentially launched MLBN.

I guess there will probably be even more games on MLBN than last time, which is a bummer since I don't have it here in Iowa City...(**** you Mediacom)

Madvora
06-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Aw geez... Bud is going to shove his "World Baseball Craptacular" down our throats again?

Give it a rest already.
See is is the kind of post I don't get. Every time this comes around people act like they're forced to watch it.
People are playing baseball. What's the problem? If you're not interested in it, then don't pay attention to it.
I don't follow the high school baseball team in my town, but I'm fine if they still play games. I don't follow international rugby, but when the rugby World Cup comes around I don't get angry. I'm indifferent to it.

HomeFish
06-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Cue all the old timers whining about this. You can set your clock to Lip and a few others complaining everytime this is mentioned.

With that out of the way, last time's WBC was incredibly entertaining to watch. I hope the 2013 incarnation provides even a fraction of the enjoyment that watching the Dutch team make their run did.

Lip Man 1
06-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Home:

I hope no player gets hurt especially if he's with the Sox.

Sincerely,
The Old Timer

:rolleyes:

WhiteSox5187
06-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Home:

I hope no player gets hurt especially if he's with the Sox.

Sincerely,
The Old Timer

:rolleyes:

There's as much a chance of a Sox player getting hurt in the WBC as they are getting hurt in a meaningless spring training game or the All Star Game.

I like the WBC I just think that there are a lot of kinks that need to be worked out. I get the point of having a pitch count (especially in the spring), I just don't like it. Maybe if they had the qualifying rounds in the spring and then had the elimination rounds around the All Star Break?

russ99
06-15-2012, 10:00 PM
See is is the kind of post I don't get. Every time this comes around people act like they're forced to watch it.
People are playing baseball. What's the problem? If you're not interested in it, then don't pay attention to it.
I don't follow the high school baseball team in my town, but I'm fine if they still play games. I don't follow international rugby, but when the rugby World Cup comes around I don't get angry. I'm indifferent to it.

That's understandable, but my main issue is that this is a made up tournament with only a few good teams, solely put together by Selig to stroke his ego and for marketing/merchandising purposes.

If some international body put together a World Cup type tournament together, I'd support it, but not this. Sadly, players and teams are affected in the regular season due to this just so Bud can pad his HOF resume and MLB can sell lots of jerseys, caps, etc.

If they were serious about this, players wouldn't want to back out all the time.

SephClone89
06-15-2012, 10:04 PM
my main issue is that this is a made up tournament with only a few good teams

Ah yes, as opposed to those naturally grown sports competitions.

BTW, this could also describe the Gold Cup...

guillensdisciple
06-15-2012, 10:58 PM
There is nothing, nothing that is more important than representing your country in any major sporting event. They use this "what if they get injured" argument in european football and I think it's dumb. I love the sox, I love the bulls, I love arsenal, but I can only imagine the pride in representing an entire country. So ye, it they get injured then that sucks at least that was done for a good reason.

Lip Man 1
06-16-2012, 01:29 AM
Guillen:

I disagree with your contention that this is a "major sporting event." Are you seriously comparing this to the Olympics or the World Cup?

This is a made for TV event by "Proud to be your Bud".

This event has little credibility or cachet in my opinion.

And if the purpose was to expand baseball into new territories I'd like to know where specifically this is happening.

Baseball is already being played in North, Central and South America and in the Far East. Where pray tell is it supposed to "expand" to? Antartica? :?:

Lip

Nellie_Fox
06-16-2012, 01:38 AM
There's as much a chance of a Sox player getting hurt in the WBC as they are getting hurt in a meaningless spring training game or the All Star Game.We argued this to death last time. At least if they get hurt in a spring training game or the all-star game, they do so playing for the entity that pays their huge, guaranteed salaries. If they get a career-ending injury playing for Italy, it's not Italy that's on the hook for their salary.

It's stupid. :geezer: Yeah, I'm old, but I find it amusing that the biggest Eeyore pessimist on the board is the one who thinks this is wonderful.

WhiteSox5187
06-16-2012, 02:02 AM
Guillen:

I disagree with your contention that this is a "major sporting event." Are you seriously comparing this to the Olympics or the World Cup?

This is a made for TV event by "Proud to be your Bud".

This event has little credibility or cache in my opinion.

And if the purpose was to expand baseball into new territories I'd like to know where specifically this is happening.

Baseball is already being played in North, Central and South America and in the Far East. Where pray tell is it supposed to "expand" to? Antartica? :?:

Lip

I seem to recall that in some countries like Japan, Venezuela and Cuba the WBC WAS a big deal and on par with the World Cup. I think it might give the game a bit of a chance to expand into countries like China (the way basketball is trying to do) and maybe further its popularity in places like Australia where it is played but is probably a fringe sport. Maybe it might even expand it's popularity in Europe. There are obvious kinks that need to be worked out and I wouldn't mind seeing MLB cede some of its control over the event to an independent body to work out some of the kinks but I don't see that happening as long as Selig is in charge.

amsteel
06-16-2012, 03:15 AM
So Bud Selig should be shunned for attempting to broaden baseball appeal by organizing competitive games in November and March.

What really burns me is that WBC tax we're all forced to pay and the roaming death squads that torture people who aren't watching.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. If you think it's a marketing scam, don't spend any money on it.

cub killer
06-16-2012, 06:51 AM
There is nothing, nothing that is more important than representing your country in any major sporting event.
Tell that to all the players who shun the WBC, or to Messi and CR7, who phone it in for their Nat teams. A lot of people don't care about representing their country, and a lot of fans are club>country. For a lot of people, country-rep isn't that important.

That being said, I like the WBC, and I want to see baseball overtake cricket globally. The WBC will help in that takeover. There are many fans that need to be converted to baseball, and none are from "antartica".

Especially lately, since so many weirdos have come out of the woodwork to say "baseball is dying a slow death", or that some inferior sport will overtake baseball in the usa someday. Over my dead body. And the WBC will help to quell any threats to our game, and bring a bigger international audience, which is what we need.

06-16-2012, 01:13 PM
I got to watch Cuba and Japan face off in 2009 from the best seats I have ever sat at for a baseball game. That game included Aroldis Chapman and Yu Darvish both making their debut on US soil well before they ever signed with MLB.

The game was awesome and you could tell everyone playing wanted nothing more to win. The concept of the WBC may very well be put together for TV revenues but that doesn't matter too much to the players involved.

doublem23
06-16-2012, 01:33 PM
I just like it because I like watching people lose their **** over it.

:popcorn:

Baseball players playing baseball! THE HORROR, AVERT YOUR EYES, CHASTE WOMEN AND INNOCENT CHILDREN

Juice16
06-16-2012, 01:38 PM
see is is the kind of post i don't get. Every time this comes around people act like they're forced to watch it.
I don't follow the high school baseball team in my town, but i'm fine if they still play games. I don't follow international rugby, but when the rugby world cup comes around i don't get angry. I'm indifferent to it.

+1

TomBradley72
06-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Cue all the old timers whining about this. You can set your clock to Lip and a few others complaining everytime this is mentioned.

With that out of the way, last time's WBC was incredibly entertaining to watch. I hope the 2013 incarnation provides even a fraction of the enjoyment that watching the Dutch team make their run did.

I love the WBC- the showcasing of the unique "styles" of each country is very interesting to me- Korea, Japan, the Carribbean teams especially- after only seeing (primarily) the North American/professional approach to the game- I like seeing it this way every few years + the enthusiasm of the non-US teams and their fans.

The logistics/timing will be always be a challenge- but I'm a big fan of the WBC.

TomBradley72
06-16-2012, 01:49 PM
There is nothing, nothing that is more important than representing your country in any major sporting event. They use this "what if they get injured" argument in european football and I think it's dumb. I love the sox, I love the bulls, I love arsenal, but I can only imagine the pride in representing an entire country. So ye, it they get injured then that sucks at least that was done for a good reason.

That's a pretty silly statement- if I'm a professional baseball player- my career and ability to provide for my family are more important that some false patriotism somehow linked to an athletic competition.

TomBradley72
06-16-2012, 01:51 PM
That's understandable, but my main issue is that this is a made up tournament with only a few good teams, solely put together by Selig to stroke his ego and for marketing/merchandising purposes.

If some international body put together a World Cup type tournament together, I'd support it, but not this. Sadly, players and teams are affected in the regular season due to this just so Bud can pad his HOF resume and MLB can sell lots of jerseys, caps, etc.

If they were serious about this, players wouldn't want to back out all the time.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of financial/commercial motivations for the World Cup-

SephClone89
06-16-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm pretty sure there are plenty of financial/commercial motivations for the World Cup-

England declined to play the first few World Cups because they felt it was pointless and they didn't newd to prove they were the masters of the game.

SI1020
06-16-2012, 03:59 PM

With that out of the way, last time's WBC was incredibly entertaining to watch. I hope the 2013 incarnation provides even a fraction of the enjoyment that watching the Dutch team make their run did. Why do some think all of us OFs who post here are of one mind on every issue, baseball or otherwise?

SI1020
06-16-2012, 04:10 PM
England declined to play the first few World Cups because they felt it was pointless and they didn't newd to prove they were the masters of the game. I wonder how they felt when the US upset them in 1950?