PDA

View Full Version : New rundown strategy?

Moses_Scurry
06-15-2012, 11:22 AM
I don't know if anybody saw the highlights on MLB TV but there was a play where the catcher was holding the ball in a rundown, threw it to the third baseman, and the runner then ran into the catcher while staying in the baseline. As result the runner was given home because of catcher interference. I guess I haven't paid enough attention during run downs. Was the catcher in a bad position or normal rundown position? Do you think we'll see more of this? I feel like runners should try this more often at least until the defenses adjust.

Zisk77
06-15-2012, 11:33 AM
I don't know if anybody saw the highlights on MLB TV but there was a play where the catcher was holding the ball in a rundown, threw it to the third baseman, and the runner then ran into the catcher while staying in the baseline. As result the runner was given home because of catcher interference. I guess I haven't paid enough attention during run downs. Was the catcher in a bad position or normal rundown position? Do you think we'll see more of this? I feel like runners should try this more often at least until the defenses adjust.

runners in a pickle are taught to try to run into defenders to get the interference call. Defenders are supposed to peel out of the way after a throw. see a.j. vs. tampa in 08 I believe.

Moses_Scurry
06-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Didn't know that. That was the first time I've ever seen a runner intentionally run into the guy who doesn't have the ball.

DumpJerry
06-15-2012, 09:23 PM
runners in a pickle are taught to try to run into defenders to get the interference call. Defenders are supposed to peel out of the way after a throw. see a.j. vs. tampa in 08 I believe.
Yup, A.J. got the call from the same ump who gave him the dropped third strike in ALCS against the Angels.....

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Smart play by the runner. Reminds me of A.J. in the ALCS back in '05. Nothing wrong with exploiting the rules.