PDA

View Full Version : This is why you don't want concerts and other crap at the Cell

doublem23
06-15-2012, 11:19 AM
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/599522_10150892754011429_1287294174_n.jpg

Taken today at Wrigley

mzh
06-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Keep this away from the Sodfather, he might explode.

Steelrod
06-15-2012, 11:26 AM
When the Sox had concerts, it was right after a homstand, which gave the groundskeepers 7-10 days to repair the damage.
Epstein's focus is on revenue, not baseball. He was brought here for buildings, concerts, turning Wrigley into Fenway, building in Mesa. Remodel the entire ballpark. His GM does the baseball.

WhiteSox5187
06-15-2012, 12:39 PM
When the Sox had concerts, it was right after a homstand, which gave the groundskeepers 7-10 days to repair the damage.
Epstein's focus is on revenue, not baseball. He was brought here for buildings, concerts, turning Wrigley into Fenway, building in Mesa. Remodel the entire ballpark. His GM does the baseball.

That's true, I remember seeing Springsteen in concert at the Cell in 2003 and seeing a Sox game about a week later and the field looked fine. I think Springsteen was the Cell for maybe two or three shows and then left and the field had time to recover before they started playing games. I think Wrigley was in use pretty much every day the last time the Cubs were on the road. I would imagine it's not as bad as when the White Sox had concerts at Old Comiskey back in the late 1970s. My dad worked for the White Sox back then and told me how they had to paint the grass green before a home stand because the field was in such awful shape.

#1swisher
06-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Cubs to honor the late Ron Santo with an on field design.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/06/15/photos-cubs-to-honor-santo-with-on-field-design/

kba
06-15-2012, 01:19 PM
That's true, I remember seeing Springsteen in concert at the Cell in 2003 and seeing a Sox game about a week later and the field looked fine. I think Springsteen was the Cell for maybe two or three shows and then left and the field had time to recover before they started playing games. I think Wrigley was in use pretty much every day the last time the Cubs were on the road. I would imagine it's not as bad as when the White Sox had concerts at Old Comiskey back in the late 1970s. My dad worked for the White Sox back then and told me how they had to paint the grass green before a home stand because the field was in such awful shape.

Here's what Comiskey used to look like (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=170711683672&si=VSNEiQ1VmEV1a9smoWy3UxtAHdg%253D&viewitem=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc) after those concerts in the late-70's. I remember one homestand where there was almost no grass left in the outfield at all. They played the games on muddy sand.

DonnieDarko
06-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Here's what Comiskey used to look like (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=170711683672&si=VSNEiQ1VmEV1a9smoWy3UxtAHdg%253D&viewitem=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc) after those concerts in the late-70's. I remember one homestand where there was almost no grass left in the outfield at all. They played the games on muddy sand.

"The listing has ended"

LITTLE NELL
06-15-2012, 01:47 PM

We were at a game one week after Disco Demolition Night and I played baseball on sandlots that were in better shape than Comiskey's outfield back at that time.

kba
06-15-2012, 02:38 PM
"The listing has ended"

Small version here (http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1979-Post-Rock-Concert-Comiskey-Park-Chicago-White-Sox-Ruined-Outfield-Photo-/00/$%28KGrHqJ,%21l4E6B,Oe6WrBOjm5dVBbg%7E%7E_35.JPG) if the earlier link doesn't work.

downstairs
06-15-2012, 05:08 PM
"The listing has ended"

Any time that happens, they put a ton of related items on top... but scroll down to see the original listing.

jfinsocal
06-23-2012, 03:17 PM
That Foghat/Rush concert was Epic. No way they'd allow so much open drug use now.

There was a time when you could pretty much light up a doobie anytime in the cheap seats for baseball games at both Wrigley and Old Comiskey.

Different place and time.

DumpJerry
06-24-2012, 10:43 PM
I was at a private event at Comiskey about a year after the Rolling Stones concert a few years back. We were told to stay off the outfield grass when we were let loose on the field because there was still damage from the Stones' concert and the Sodfather forbade anyone from the public from traipsing on the outfield grass. They also told us that the Stones' concert would the last such event at Comiskey as long as Bossard was alive.

Brian26
06-24-2012, 10:47 PM
I was at a private event at Comiskey about a year after the Rolling Stones concert a few years back. We were told to stay off the outfield grass when we were let loose on the field because there was still damage from the Stones' concert and the Sodfather forbade anyone from the public from traipsing on the outfield grass.

Plus, he specifically remembered all the damage you caused during Disco Demolition, troublemaker.

DumpJerry
06-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Plus, he specifically remembered all the damage you caused during Disco Demolition, troublemaker.
I caused damage throw beer on the heads of those below me? I was in the front row of the RF upper deck. Long drop to the field that night.....

LongLiveFisk
06-24-2012, 11:17 PM
I was at a private event at Comiskey about a year after the Rolling Stones concert a few years back. We were told to stay off the outfield grass when we were let loose on the field because there was still damage from the Stones' concert and the Sodfather forbade anyone from the public from traipsing on the outfield grass. They also told us that the Stones' concert would the last such event at Comiskey as long as Bossard was alive.

I was at that concert and remember being very surprised they agreed to hold it there for that reason.

Still they hosted Joel Osteen last year. :tongue:

DumpJerry
06-24-2012, 11:27 PM
I was at that concert and remember being very surprised they agreed to hold it there for that reason.

Still they hosted Joel Osteen last year. :tongue:
Osteen was not a concert and the setup was different from the Stones' concert.

Irishsox1
06-25-2012, 12:44 AM
Bossard designed Wrigley's drainage system when they redid it a couple of years ago, I bet the field looks fine now.

WhiteSox5187
06-25-2012, 12:52 AM

Except that Springsteen played there about a year later. The Stones played at Comiskey for their 40 Licks Tour in 2002 and Springsteen played the second part of the Rising Tour there in 2003.

FielderJones
06-25-2012, 09:34 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/13391958-419/cubs-business-brass-seems-to-think-selling-wrigley-is-more-important-than-winning.html

doublem23
06-25-2012, 09:39 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/13391958-419/cubs-business-brass-seems-to-think-selling-wrigley-is-more-important-than-winning.html

I can understand it from a business perspective considering how desperate the Cubs are to get some state and city money to help rebuild the stadium. I guess it makes it a little more palatable to the interests at be when Wrigley is marketed more as a destination than just a ballpark.

SephClone89
06-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Except that Springsteen played there about a year later. The Stones played at Comiskey for their 40 Licks Tour in 2002 and Springsteen played the second part of the Rising Tour there in 2003.

Don't let your facts get in the way of Dump's dramatic story. :redneck

DumpJerry
06-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Don't let your facts get in the way of Dump's dramatic story. :redneck
Dude, there was nothing "dramatic" about my "story." All I did was report what we were told at the event. When I saw the Springsteen post, I remembered that someone mentioned it at the time. The explanation was that Springsteen already had a contract to perform there and they reconfigured the staging to prevent the damage the Stones' concert created. Something about how they did seating on the field.

High drama, I know. Worthy of a Chuck Norris movie. Hope you were sitting down when you read this.

By the way, I'm old enough to be your father. If you enjoy consistently showing your father this lack of respect like you do me, that is between you and your father. However, knock it off with me. I am not one of your twentysomething know-it-all peers.

ohiosoxfan
06-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Didn't I see that a SOCCER game will be at Wrigley in July? Nothing tears up turf like soccer (especially if it's raining). And then two days of Springsteen in September. . .

SephClone89
06-26-2012, 07:07 AM
Dude, there was nothing "dramatic" about my "story." All I did was report what we were told at the event. When I saw the Springsteen post, I remembered that someone mentioned it at the time. The explanation was that Springsteen already had a contract to perform there and they reconfigured the staging to prevent the damage the Stones' concert created. Something about how they did seating on the field.

High drama, I know. Worthy of a Chuck Norris movie. Hope you were sitting down when you read this.

By the way, I'm old enough to be your father. If you enjoy consistently showing your father this lack of respect like you do me, that is between you and your father. However, knock it off with me. I am not one of your twentysomething know-it-all peers.

I was kidding around, yeesh. It just seemed reminiscent of one of those "never again" anecdotes. Perhaps dramatic wasn't quite the right word. I just thought it was humorous juxtaposed with 5187's (not a great shortening of his name, I know).

I'm also not sure what you're talking about with the latter point. I try to show everybody on this site the same respect as anyone else, regardless of age, gender, whatever. Perhaps it's not enough--I apologize. But it's absolutely nothing personal.

PS: My father and I have a wonderful relationship; thanks for asking.