PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6-14 Floyd Craps Himself STL 5 SOX 3 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
06-14-2012, 09:51 PM
At least Dunn leads the Cubs

soltrain21
06-14-2012, 09:52 PM
Floyd sucks, I hate the Cardinals and who gives a **** that Dunn has more homeruns than the Cubs have wins.

Frater Perdurabo
06-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Floyd sucks, I hate the Cardinals and who gives a **** that Dunn has more homeruns than the Cubs have wins.

Dump does

Thank goodness for Cincinnati.

Boondock Saint
06-14-2012, 09:54 PM
**** you, Gavin, you're a ****ty pitcher, and everybody hates you.

That's all I care to say.

Frater Perdurabo
06-14-2012, 09:55 PM
We lost a series but picked up a game on Cleveland. Let's go win some games in LA.

shingo10
06-14-2012, 09:58 PM
We had a golden opportunity to give us some breathing room in the division and choked it away against a very mediocre team. 3 series losses in a row now. We have got to put an end to that. Our schedule is not pretty starting at the end of this month and through July. Have to beat teams like Houston and St. Louis. Mercy.

Floyd was his usual. Westbrook should not shut down our offense like he did but we are in a team slump. At LEAST we are in first place at this point.

chisoxfanatic
06-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Don't know about you guys. But, I'm more willing to give Humber a chance than Floyd. Floyd is the first pitcher I want outta here.

amsteel
06-14-2012, 09:59 PM
3 runs a game won't get you too far against the WS champs.

Dont look now, Tigers are 4 back and rising.

sox1970
06-14-2012, 10:03 PM
3 runs a game won't get you too far against the WS champs.

Dont look now, Tigers are 4 back and rising.

When interleague play is over, there will be 90 games left and they'll most likely be within 5 games, with 10 head-to-head left.

Long way to go, and the Sox need to add a starter.

kittle42
06-14-2012, 10:03 PM
We lost a series but picked up a game on Cleveland.

I hate that people continue to be comforted by this. It's not even halfway through the season. You simply need to win.

TheOldRoman
06-14-2012, 10:06 PM

That's all I care to say.OMG I HATE U!!!! U PITCHED BAD AND NOW I CANT STOP CRYING!!!:rolleyes:

Gavin was terrible and so was the offense. 18 innings of absolute horse **** sans one swing. I guess at least the bullpen held it there, unlike Floyd and Humber's last two starts, where they pitched poorly and the game was within reach until the bullpen torched it. I guess that's progress.

doublem23
06-14-2012, 10:06 PM
I hate that people continue to be comforted by this. It's not even halfway through the season. You simply need to win.

The object is to finish in first place so as long as you're gaining ground, it's still a positive at worst.

JB98
06-14-2012, 10:07 PM
The Sox stunk tonight. Turned it off early.

Zakath
06-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Last six outings for Gavin: 30 1/3 IP, 49 H, 35 R (all earned), 11 HR, 10 BB, 30 K, 10.38 ERA, 1.95 WHIP

:whiner::puking:

The only positive is that his next scheduled start is against the Minor Leaguers on Tuesday.

Frater Perdurabo
06-14-2012, 10:09 PM

I'm not comforted by this in the long run, but I will sleep better tonight.

Soxman219
06-14-2012, 10:10 PM
And just like that, Detroit is within distance of the Sox. Don't care if the Reds helped us out today, you gotta win games and the Sox have done a poor job since the winning streak ended. Floyd is done, he's awful now. He's scared of big game situations and hasn't pitched well in weeks. If there's some way to get him out of here, do it.

Brian26
06-14-2012, 10:10 PM
The Sox need to figure out a way to get Pat Quinn in the radio booth to replace Farmer. That's all I got.

Lip Man 1
06-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Sooner or later either Cleveland or Detroit is going to get hot. Kenny needs to get a starting pitcher period...especially if Danks is on the shelf longer.

Don't know what else to say about Floyd, maybe a change of scenery would help both parties but who'd take him at this point?

Lip

Boondock Saint
06-14-2012, 10:17 PM
OMG I HATE U!!!! U PITCHED BAD AND NOW I CANT STOP CRYING!!!:rolleyes:

Gavin was terrible and so was the offense. 18 innings of absolute horse **** sans one swing. I guess at least the bullpen held it there, unlike Floyd and Humber's last two starts, where they pitched poorly and the game was within reach until the bullpen torched it. I guess that's progress.

You're right, I'm irrationally hating on Gavin because he pitched like **** just this one time, it has nothing to do with the fact that he's gotten his ERA to balloon by almost three runs over his last six starts, and that he can't even get a ****ing pitcher out.

Lip Man 1
06-14-2012, 10:21 PM
To say nothing of having to be taken out early straining the pen.

Humber goes Saturday night by the way against (gulp) Billingsly.

Lip

Zakath
06-14-2012, 10:24 PM

Hasn't gone more than 6 innings since his win over Kansas City on May 11.

tstrike2000
06-14-2012, 10:25 PM
I guess a positive for Humber and Floyd is it can't get any worse, can it?

soltrain21
06-14-2012, 10:26 PM

It can not get better.

Zakath
06-14-2012, 10:27 PM

Well, we actually won one of Gavin's last six starts, and we won three of Humber's last six.

It could get worse.

amsteel
06-14-2012, 10:29 PM

Adam Dunn was dog **** terrible for a whole season, so while it can't get much worse it can stay bad for a long time.

TaylorStSox
06-14-2012, 10:32 PM
I'm disappointed Floyd and Humber are killing any value they had. I'm still in sell mode. The reality, as has been the case all year, is that this isn't really a play off team.

GoGoCrede
06-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Love Gavin, but even I can't muster up any kind of defense tonight. So I'll say what I usually say: get 'em next time, and in the meantime work with Cooper. I think there was an article last week that said he was working with him. Not that there was any improvement tonight, but hey, only way to go now is up.

Still rooting for ya, #34. :gulp:

TheOldRoman
06-14-2012, 10:36 PM
You're right, I'm irrationally hating on Gavin because he pitched like **** just this one time, it has nothing to do with the fact that he's gotten his ERA to balloon by almost three runs over his last six starts, and that he can't even get a ****ing pitcher out.It wouldn't be irrational to say that Floyd sucked today or has pitcher really ****ty for the last several starts. But when your resort to saying "**** you Gavin" and "everybody hates you," that amounts to a temper tantrum, like a five year old laying on the floor in the middle of Walmart kicking her feet and screaming.

KMcMahon817
06-14-2012, 10:40 PM

Humber goes Saturday night by the way against (gulp) Billingsly.

Lip

Billingsly is not very good.

Boondock Saint
06-14-2012, 10:41 PM
It wouldn't be irrational to say that Floyd sucked today or has pitcher really ****ty for the last several starts. But when your resort to saying "**** you Gavin" and "everybody hates you," that amounts to a temper tantrum, like a five year old laying on the floor in the middle of Walmart kicking her feet and screaming.

If your dog ****s on your carpet enough times, you don't feel like saying "Bad dog" anymore, you want to scream at it. Gavin has been ****ting on the carpet for way too long now.

tstrike2000
06-14-2012, 10:49 PM
It can not get better.

Well, we actually won one of Gavin's last six starts, and we won three of Humber's last six.

It could get worse.

Adam Dunn was dog **** terrible for a whole season, so while it can't get much worse it can stay bad for a long time.

True, it could get worse, but I'm really hoping at this point that one of these two guys get it together. I was really hoping it was Floyd because of his experience along with the fact that Humber hasn't been good in a year. Obviously not looking promising.

Tragg
06-14-2012, 10:49 PM
5 hits was at least as big a problem as Floyd was this evening.

TaylorStSox
06-14-2012, 10:50 PM
If your dog ****s on your carpet enough times, you don't feel like saying "Bad dog" anymore, you want to scream at it. Gavin has been ****ting on the carpet for way too long now.

I hope you don't treat animals like that.

kittle42
06-14-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm disappointed Floyd and Humber are killing any value they had. I'm still in sell mode. The reality, as has been the case all year, is that this isn't really a play off team.

Aside from about two days this season, I have felt the same way. Still very much in wait and see mode.

TommyGavinFloyd
06-14-2012, 11:02 PM
A friend wanted to road trip for this one but I took one look at the probable pitchers and said no way.

JB98
06-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Billingsly is not very good.

No, he really isn't. Just a league average starter. I suppose it's possible he'll shut down the Sox. A below average starter got the best of the Sox for five innings tonight. But there is no reason on this earth to fear facing Chad Billingsley.

The guy the Sox will face Friday and the guy the Sox will face Sunday are both better than Billingsley.

Crooked Number
06-14-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm puzzled at what constitutes a "dog ****" team. The Cardinals lead the entire National League in overall hitting. Much like KC in our division, they can hit. When you go up against a hurler who is struggling mightily like Floyd, it may not be pretty. I was hoping for Gavin to use this big stage to snap out of it, and pitch a great game. Looks like we are going to have to wait.

The Rios ejection was interesting in the ninth. Good to see some fire from him, shows that he cares. Last year he would have just gone through the motions. This Sox team can go either way. Sometimes in baseball, all you need is that one piece to add, that one defining moment, or some intangible that can't be measured with a stat to propel a team to having a great season. Maybe, maybe the Sox can finally get over the hump and play some consistent, winning baseball in the second half.

kittle42
06-14-2012, 11:21 PM
I'm puzzled at what constitutes a "dog ****" team.

By the end of the year, it may be the one we root for.

thomas35forever
06-14-2012, 11:40 PM
The Sox had their chances late in the game, but couldn't quite deliver that one hit needed to get closer than two. Also, add me to the Gavin Floyd hater list. He has no control and the fact that he barely stayed in the windup sans the first inning tells me he's in big trouble. I know people want to hate Humber and see him sent to the 'pen, but ever since Quintana came up, I've been advocating him sending Floyd there instead. He's the one who's been here long enough and we have enough of a sample size to know he's never going to be dominant. Even in victories, he's been less than impressive. If anyone's setting up a fund to buy out his contract so he can be released, tell me where to send it and I'll make a good donation. Otherwise, I can't see how we keep him in the rotation anymore. To the 'pen until he works his issues out please.

Knew I was in for a long one at Busch with him on the mound tonight and he didn't disappoint.

GlassSox
06-14-2012, 11:48 PM

Amen brother amen!

delben91
06-14-2012, 11:54 PM

That's all I care to say.

Taking this a bit too personally perhaps?

I think Floyd is a horrible pitcher, but to globally say everyone hates Gavin Floyd? Dude is more than just a baseball player. I think the baseball player portion of him sucks royally, but I don't hate him as an individual.

shingo10
06-14-2012, 11:57 PM

I'd love to see this place if the first place Sox decided to become "sellers." Which won't happen because....oh yeah they are in first place.

The Cardinals were in a similar position as us last year and became buyers adding Dotel and Jackson at the deadline. Worked out well for them.

guillensdisciple
06-15-2012, 12:00 AM
I don't want Gavin Floyd pitching for this team anymore

FoulTerritory
06-15-2012, 12:01 AM
I'd love to see this place if the first place Sox decided to become "sellers." Which won't happen because....oh yeah they are in first place.

The Cardinals were in a similar position as us last year and became buyers adding Dotel and Jackson at the deadline. Worked out well for them.

Yup, we should definitely not be sellers. We have a strong offense and good defense. We just gotta figure out what to do about Floyd and Humber. If we can just get competent pitching out of those two rotation slots we will be in good shape, especially given the weakness of the division.

But that is a big "if." Wow, do Floyd and Humber suck right now. Almost automatic losses.

BigHurt3515
06-15-2012, 12:03 AM
Very frustrating night at the game tonight. Seeing Floyd get beaten time and time again with his fastball was pathetic. And walking the pitcher TWICE made me want to run on the field, punch him in the face and tell him "its the ****ing pitcher you moron! Its basically a free out!" But then I would of been arrested. It might of been worth it though

doublem23
06-15-2012, 12:04 AM

Seriously. If people think the Sox shouldn't be buying because they're holding on to this ridiculous dream that the Sox are just going to rebuild from within and fix everything!1!!, eh, whatever, but anyone who thinks the Sox should be selling, when they're well past 1/3rd of the way into the season and are clearly the best team in the division... That's pathetic.

palehozenychicty
06-15-2012, 01:37 AM
Seriously. If people think the Sox shouldn't be buying because they're holding on to this ridiculous dream that the Sox are just going to rebuild from within and fix everything!1!!, eh, whatever, but anyone who thinks the Sox should be selling, when they're well past 1/3rd of the way into the season and are clearly the best team in the division... That's pathetic.

They probably won't be selling, but I don't think they're buying a lot either. Time will tell.

kufram
06-15-2012, 04:18 AM
It seems to me that the people who had decided before the season started that the Sox were a 4th place team if they were lucky and never going to contend, are very uncomfortable with the team still being in contention.... and it isn't early anymore.

To not look at your season in the context of your division is just silly. If we are crap and hopeless and never a playoff team then Detroit and Cleveland are a little worse.

For the first few weeks it was all about how our great pitching was being wasted by a line up with far too many automatic outs. Now it is how bad 3/5s of our rotation is. The thing is.... things change. They will change again. It is all about the ride.

LITTLE NELL
06-15-2012, 06:23 AM
The Sox need to figure out a way to get Pat Quinn in the radio booth to replace Farmer. That's all I got.

I was hoping that he could pitch.

russ99
06-15-2012, 06:56 AM
Last six outings for Gavin: 30 1/3 IP, 49 H, 35 R (all earned), 11 HR, 10 BB, 30 K, 10.38 ERA, 1.95 WHIP

:whiner::puking:

The only positive is that his next scheduled start is against the Minor Leaguers on Tuesday.

If we get the usual from Floyd next week vs. the Cubs, and Humber does better in his start in LA, I'd prefer Floyd demoted. At least Humber might give us 5-6 innings without too much damage. Floyd is ether wild or very hittable, with little in-between.

Maybe he needs a few "rehab starts" in Charlotte.

Hartman
06-15-2012, 07:11 AM
The Tigers get the Rockies, Indians get the Pirates. We get the Dodgers. If we lay an egg in LA, we are in some trouble.

kittle42
06-15-2012, 07:22 AM
The Tigers get the Rockies, Indians get the Pirates. We get the Dodgers. If we lay an egg in LA, we are in some trouble.

Yeah, because that series against the Astros at home worked so well for us.

Screw what everyone else is doing; screw strength of opponents on June 15; Just win.

kittle42
06-15-2012, 07:24 AM
It seems to me that the people who had decided before the season started that the Sox were a 4th place team if they were lucky and never going to contend, are very uncomfortable with the team still being in contention.

Oh, yes. I would be much more comfortable if the Sox were in fourth, and almost in complete bliss if they were in last.

delben91
06-15-2012, 07:27 AM
Oh, yes. I would be much more comfortable if the Sox were in fourth, and almost in complete bliss if they were in last.

Clearly you have incredibly high standards if you couldn't achieve full bliss even with a last place team.

Hitmen77
06-15-2012, 07:46 AM
5 hits was at least as big a problem as Floyd was this evening.

Some times the Sox just have to.....you know: :tiphat:

We lost a series but picked up a game on Cleveland. Let's go win some games in LA.

But we lost a game to Detroit. I think they are ultimately the bigger threat to us making the playoffs.

The Sox schedule gets a bit tougher at the end of June and through July. We won't stay in the race very long if we get shut down by the likes of Jake Westbrook and if Floyd and Humber keep pitching like they do.

Right now, I'm just hoping that Danks makes a healthy return and that Floyd soon switches to the good side of his hot-or-cold career.

guillensdisciple
06-15-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm happy the Sox are still in first, but it's worrisome that we have lost all of the series after the Mariners one.

That does not bode well, and a poster said that winning streaks are nice but a team that wins 3 and loses 1 or 2 consistently is better and I agree. If the White Sox go on 9 game winning streaks and then go on to go 8 and 16 that negates the winning streak. So far we have docked 3 games from our over .500 mark and are fortunate the rest of the division is in shambles.

My thing is- take advantage of what you have when you have it, but don't wake sleeping dogs. I don't think the Sox have the tools to get up and run with this division, but I don't want other teams to wake up and take it from us.

This weekend against the dodgers will be a good marker for us. If we can maintain first place, and if we can gain ground, then we should be excited about our prospects.

If we are in second or are .5 games up, I would be looking forward to the fact that we play the Cubs but weary of the quality this ball club has to offer.

I know I hate on Gavin more than a lot of people on this board. I think he deserves it, but he is not the one we have to drop right now. Humber has to go and we have to hope that Gavin collects himself. Unfortunately, Humber does not have anything but last year to back him up. I have seen Gavin do it before and a little bit of improvement will be great. You're up Quintana.

soltrain21
06-15-2012, 08:46 AM

We are in some trouble? Because of a three game set in mid June when we are up in the division?

This isn't the last week of the season.

oldgrouch
06-15-2012, 08:47 AM

OMG, no the Sox screw up every time that dumb ass is in the booth.:angry::angry:

doublem23
06-15-2012, 08:49 AM

Between us, Cleveland, and Detroit, the Sox still have by far the easiest remaining schedule the rest of the way out.

A season isn't won or lost during a 3-game series in June.

Foulke You
06-15-2012, 08:57 AM
I'm puzzled at what constitutes a "dog ****" team. The Cardinals lead the entire National League in overall hitting. Much like KC in our division, they can hit. When you go up against a hurler who is struggling mightily like Floyd, it may not be pretty. I was hoping for Gavin to use this big stage to snap out of it, and pitch a great game. Looks like we are going to have to wait.

The Rios ejection was interesting in the ninth. Good to see some fire from him, shows that he cares. Last year he would have just gone through the motions. This Sox team can go either way. Sometimes in baseball, all you need is that one piece to add, that one defining moment, or some intangible that can't be measured with a stat to propel a team to having a great season. Maybe, maybe the Sox can finally get over the hump and play some consistent, winning baseball in the second half.
I have to agree and in the course of the season when things are going poorly, it can be easy to lose sight of the fact that even division winning teams or championship teams have adversity that they must face. Reaching October is hard and we knew there would be a valley for this club coming because there was no way to sustain that hot run we were on. Take a look at some of adversity previous Sox division winners had to face:

2000-
-Starting CF Brian Simmons was injured in Spring Training and lost for the entire season.
-Huge brawl with Detroit gutted the team for almost 2 weeks due to the huge suspensions handed out to key players.
-Greg Norton was terrible at 3B and needed to be replaced early by Herbert Perry
-#2 starter Cal Eldred's bionic elbow finally came apart in the 2nd half and his rotation slot needed to be filled.

2005-
-Two closers replaced (Takatsu, Hermanson). One for ineffectiveness, one for injury.
-Frank Thomas lost for the entire second half of the season
-Overcame a 2nd half nagging leg injury to spark plug and leadoff man Scott Podsednik
-Held off a charging Indians team that played .800 ball in the second half

2008-
-Starting CF Nick Swisher was ineffective and had to be replaced by Dwayne Wise in September.
-Dugout spat between Dye and Orlando Cabrera
-The bet wetting of Javier Vazquez in big game situations
-Team MVP Carlos Quentin breaks wrist on his bat in frustration and lost for the final month.
-Sox lose almost every game in the Metrodome in 2008

Despite all of this adversity (and I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of other stuff that went wrong), the Sox made the postseason and won the division. The 2012 club has its own list of adversity starting with the Humber/Floyd situation. Division winning teams have to overcome stuff like this. It's rarely smooth sailing for 162 games on the path to October.

TheOldRoman
06-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Taking this a bit too personally perhaps?

I think Floyd is a horrible pitcher, but to globally say everyone hates Gavin Floyd? Dude is more than just a baseball player. I think the baseball player portion of him sucks royally, but I don't hate him as an individual.Yes, his post was childish. However, your post at very least is extremely fickle. You will not find a single person claiming that Gavin has pitched well of late. However - horrible pitcher? Sucks royally at baseball? I'd say he's actually a pretty good pitcher if you look at what he has done in his career, which any rational person would do before throwing out "I hate you" or "you are terrible". Anybody who has watched baseball for more than a few seasons should be able to tell the difference between a really bad slump and "WORST PLAYER EVAR!!!1!" Why, just look back to last season when blowhards and imbeciles alike boo'd and cursed out Adam Dunn, calling him a piece of **** because he was a horrible player. I guess he just had a bad year. But feel free to root for Gavin when he comes out of his slump.

mahagga73
06-15-2012, 09:58 AM
They are hardly clearly the best team in the division.Detroit is going to get their stuff together sooner or later,and if they keep losing series to the likes of the Astros and Royals at home the Sox are going to be left in the dust.They have 2 pitchers who are virtually guaranteed losses.Floyd needs to go to the pen and they need Danks to earn that ridiculous contract he got(for a .500 mediocre pitcher).If that happens and the Tigers pitching woes continue they just might have a shot in the end.

Harry Chappas
06-15-2012, 10:08 AM
They are hardly clearly the best team in the division.Detroit is going to get their stuff together sooner or later,and if they keep losing series to the likes of the Astros and Royals at home the Sox are going to be left in the dust.They have 2 pitchers who are virtually guaranteed losses.Floyd needs to go to the pen and they need Danks to earn that ridiculous contract he got(for a .500 mediocre pitcher).If that happens and the Tigers pitching woes continue they just might have a shot in the end.

We've been waiting for this magical Detroit run since the start of the season. Guess what? They have as many flaws as the Sox do - maybe more. Also, the Sox are capable of going on another run themselves, something they've done once this season already.

When Danks comes back, they can move Floyd or Humber to the pen and keep Quintana in the rotation. Sale, Peavy, and a healthy Danks is a pretty solid 1-3. Quintana has shown he can throw strikes and keep the team in the game and Gavin has gone through these rough patches before. He only needs to be decent if the top 3 can perform.

But I agree, the key to the entire season rests with Danks.

amsteel
06-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Can the Sox win a 1 game playoff-play in game? Sure. A 5 (or 7) game series? Not so much.

I pretty sure Williams is praying that the team sputters in July allowing him to sell of pieces instead of having to add salaries for potentially 1 (possibly road) playoff game.

The worst case scenario for him is where they are now. A middling team, just above 0.500 in first or only a few games back.

FielderJones
06-15-2012, 10:44 AM
I pretty sure Williams is praying that the team sputters in July allowing him to sell of pieces instead of having to add salaries for potentially 1 (possibly road) playoff game.

If the play-in game is on the road, I like the Sox's chances.

kittle42
06-15-2012, 10:50 AM
We've been waiting for this magical Detroit run since the start of the season.

If they go on one 9-game run like we did...

TheOldRoman
06-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Can the Sox win a 1 game playoff-play in game? Sure. A 5 (or 7) game series? Not so much.

The worst case scenario for him is where they are now. A middling team, just above 0.500 in first or only a few games back.If the Sox get in they are going to have to win the division. The play-in game is the two wildcard teams.

And yes, any team with Sale and Peavy pitching 1-2 has a damn good chance of winning a 5 or 7 game series if they were to get that far.

fram40
06-15-2012, 11:09 AM
And yes, any team with Sale and Peavy pitching 1-2 has a damn good chance of winning a 5 or 7 game series if they were to get that far.

This bears repeating - Any team with Sale and Peavy pitching 1-2 has a damn good chance of winning a 5 or 7 game series. This team has a very good chance IF they make the post season

I relaize that Floyd and Humber have been struggling (sucking, if you must) but I still have hope that at least one, if not both, of these guts figure it out over the course of the 18 or so starts they have left, Perhaps 12 or 14 quality starts the rest of the way. Do we really have a better choice to replace both?

Realistically - that's the only hope we have.

doublem23
06-15-2012, 11:10 AM

Have you looked at the Tigers' rotation? They have essentially 4 guaranteed losses. I know everyone thought the Tigers were going to walk away with the Central, but they have some real issues on their roster. In 2006 the mantra with the Sox was we'll catch Minnesota and Detroit as soon as we get hot and put it together. Well, it never worked out that way. All we can go on is what has happened thus far and currently, the Sox have the best run differential in the division (3rd best in the AL), the best RPG in the division (3rd in the AL), and the bestr RPG allowed in the division (with Cleveland and Detroit both in the bottom 5 in the AL). I don't know how that screams anything other than at this point, the Sox are clearly #1 in the AL Central.

The worst case scenario for him is where they are now. A middling team, just above 0.500 in first or only a few games back.

The Sox have the best 1-2 SP punch in the American League right now, so I don't know if it is really anything more than an excessively dark cloud opinion that they can't win a 7-game series from anyone in the AL.

If they go on one 9-game run like we did...

And if my aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle

kufram
06-15-2012, 11:46 AM
ANY team can win a 5 or 7 game series. ANY team. If Peavy and Sale pitch like they have done then we could be favourite.

Hitmen77
06-15-2012, 11:52 AM
This bears repeating - Any team with Sale and Peavy pitching 1-2 has a damn good chance of winning a 5 or 7 game series. This team has a very good chance IF they make the post season

IF the Sox make the playoffs, I think a key to their success in the post season will be if Danks comes back healthy and effective. I like our chances with Sale, Peavy, and a good John Danks as our 1-2-3.

But, that's getting ahead of ourselves. Let's see if they make the playoffs first.

delben91
06-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Yes, his post was childish. However, your post at very least is extremely fickle. You will not find a single person claiming that Gavin has pitched well of late. However - horrible pitcher? Sucks royally at baseball? I'd say he's actually a pretty good pitcher if you look at what he has done in his career, which any rational person would do before throwing out "I hate you" or "you are terrible". Anybody who has watched baseball for more than a few seasons should be able to tell the difference between a really bad slump and "WORST PLAYER EVAR!!!1!" Why, just look back to last season when blowhards and imbeciles alike boo'd and cursed out Adam Dunn, calling him a piece of **** because he was a horrible player. I guess he just had a bad year. But feel free to root for Gavin when he comes out of his slump.

You make a fair point, and for what it's worth, I was trying to reference Floyd's performance over the first 2+ months of this season, not historically. So poor wording on my part and I'm guilty as charged.

I'm not rooting for him to play poorly, quite the opposite actually. I think right now he's in a position where he's likely to do the Sox more harm than good in the near term, and maybe the return of Danks will give the team more options for helping Floyd break out of this slump.

The main thrust of my post was that I just hate when fans take a player's poor performance and translate it to hating not the performance, but the player themselves. That's just me though, so if that's an opinion that's offensive to people I can keep that to myself henceforth.

kittle42
06-15-2012, 12:43 PM
The main thrust of my post was that I just hate when fans take a player's poor performance and translate it to hating not the performance, but the player themselves. That's just me though, so if that's an opinion that's offensive to people I can keep that to myself henceforth.

When I say I hate a player, I almost always mean I hate the performance. Unless, of course, we are talking about real buffoons. Or Tebow.

TheOldRoman
06-15-2012, 01:08 PM
You make a fair point, and for what it's worth, I was trying to reference Floyd's performance over the first 2+ months of this season, not historically.I figure that the more intelligent posters understand this, even if they still use the terms. However, any time a player struggles to start a season or goes into a huge slump, there are undoubtedly posters who insist that player is done, has no chance of returning to his past level and should be cut/traded/sent down. And this isn't about you, by the way. Although I have always defended Beckham, I could at least rationalize people thinking a few months ago that he would never put it together. However, Floyd has perfomed well at the major league level, including month stretches here and there where he was among the best in baseball. I don't think he somehow lost it one month into the season at age 29.

My point is, despite apparently watching baseball for several years, some people go berzerk whenever a player slumps and don't realize that generally a player in his prime is going to give you numbers pretty close to the year before and rarely fall off of a cliff. Floyd will be pitching well by the end of the year. Then again, the last few years Floyd has received a lot of irrational hatred which somone who wasn't making $20 mil a year, didn't quit on the team, didn't say anything particularly devisive and whose terrible performance didn't torpedo a season didn't deserve. I guess some people will find a reason to hate Gavin no matter what.

mahagga73
06-15-2012, 01:20 PM
We've been waiting for this magical Detroit run since the start of the season. Guess what? They have as many flaws as the Sox do - maybe more. Also, the Sox are capable of going on another run themselves, something they've done once this season already.

When Danks comes back, they can move Floyd or Humber to the pen and keep Quintana in the rotation. Sale, Peavy, and a healthy Danks is a pretty solid 1-3. Quintana has shown he can throw strikes and keep the team in the game and Gavin has gone through these rough patches before. He only needs to be decent if the top 3 can perform.

But I agree, the key to the entire season rests with Danks.
The Sox already had a run,and are still only four games ahead of the underachieving Tigers.When the Tigers made their run last year they won the division by a mile.Yes they have problems too,but the Sox pathetic home performance is going to cost them. And they need to straighten up those 2 starting slots.We have seen what Floyd can do ,glimpses of promise,but after all these years its time to call him what he is,an extremely mediocre to bad pitcher.I think the Cardinals game was his swan song as a starter for awhile,I hope.

mahagga73
06-15-2012, 01:25 PM
I figure that the more intelligent posters understand this, even if they still use the terms. However, any time a player struggles to start a season or goes into a huge slump, there are undoubtedly posters who insist that player is done, has no chance of returning to his past level and should be cut/traded/sent down. And this isn't about you, by the way. Although I have always defended Beckham, I could at least rationalize people thinking a few months ago that he would never put it together. However, Floyd has perfomed well at the major league level, including month stretches here and there where he was among the best in baseball. I don't think he somehow lost it one month into the season at age 29.

My point is, despite apparently watching baseball for several years, some people go berzerk whenever a player slumps and don't realize that generally a player in his prime is going to give you numbers pretty close to the year before and rarely fall off of a cliff. Floyd will be pitching well by the end of the year. Then again, the last few years Floyd has received a lot of irrational hatred which somone who wasn't making $20 mil a year, didn't quit on the team, didn't say anything particularly devisive and whose terrible performance didn't torpedo a season didn't deserve. I guess some people will find a reason to hate Gavin no matter what.
He stinks,badly.He has put together maybe a year total of quality pitching for the Sox in the last 4 seasons or so.His performance is going to torpedo the season,or help greatly,if he is not replaced.He is just not a good pitcher,period.He has good stuff,but any number of washouts did too,it's the mental part of the game he just can't get down.Things like walking the pitcher twice is a perfect example.He might be a good guy or whatever but it needs to be on another team,or in the long relief.As far as losing it at 29,he NEVER had it.

TheOldRoman
06-15-2012, 01:29 PM
He stinks,badly.He has put together maybe a year total of quality pitching for the Sox in the last 4 seasons or so.His performance is going to torpedo the season,or help greatly,if he is not replaced.He is just not a good pitcher,period.He has good stuff,but any number of washouts did too,it's the mental part of the game he just can't get down.Things like walking the pitcher twice is a perfect example.He might be a good guy or whatever but it needs to be on another team,or in the long relief.As far as losing it at 29,he NEVER had it.:?: People generally use 1-2 spaces after punctuation marks. My eyes hurt from reading that.

mahagga73
06-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Have you looked at the Tigers' rotation? They have essentially 4 guaranteed losses. I know everyone thought the Tigers were going to walk away with the Central, but they have some real issues on their roster. In 2006 the mantra with the Sox was we'll catch Minnesota and Detroit as soon as we get hot and put it together. Well, it never worked out that way. All we can go on is what has happened thus far and currently, the Sox have the best run differential in the division (3rd best in the AL), the best RPG in the division (3rd in the AL), and the bestr RPG allowed in the division (with Cleveland and Detroit both in the bottom 5 in the AL). I don't know how that screams anything other than at this point, the Sox are clearly #1 in the AL Central.

The Sox have the best 1-2 SP punch in the American League right now, so I don't know if it is really anything more than an excessively dark cloud opinion that they can't win a 7-game series from anyone in the AL.

And if my aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle
If the Tigers have 5 guaranteed losses ,then why are the Sox only 4 games up?Don't understand that.Sure the Sox can take anybody in a series but in order to get there you have to have at least a few wins from the bottom of the rotation.If Danks comes back,Quintana is in,and Humber improves they might be back in business.Let's hope so.I have had enough with Floyd,I am like a lot of posters,who just want to scream when he walks the pitcher,not once but twice.It's time to call a spade a space,he isn't very good at all.

doublem23
06-15-2012, 01:48 PM
If the Tigers have 5 guaranteed losses ,then why are the Sox only 4 games up?Don't understand that.Sure the Sox can take anybody in a series but in order to get there you have to have at least a few wins from the bottom of the rotation.If Danks comes back,Quintana is in,and Humber improves they might be back in business.Let's hope so.I have had enough with Floyd,I am like a lot of posters,who just want to scream when he walks the pitcher,not once but twice.It's time to call a spade a space,he isn't very good at all.

Because I was pointing out that saying "So and So is a Guaranteed Loss" is a stupid phrase. But the fact remains that if the Sox have some issues in their rotation, the Tigers have some ISSUES. Here's a game, try and figure out which pitcher is which:

Pitcher A: 13 starts, 4-4, 5.18 ERA, 1.575 WHIP, 96 H, 19 BB, 44 K in 73 IP
Pitcher B: 11 starts, 2-4, 5.92 ERA, 1.428 WHIP, 60 H, 29 BB, 59 K in 62.1 IP
Pitcher C: 13 starts, 5-4, 5.76 ERA, 1.592 WHIP, 83 H, 29 BB, 88 K in 70.1 IP
Pitcher D: 13 starts, 4-7, 5.63 ERA, 1.343 WHIP, 80 H, 23 BB, 72 K in 76.2 IP

2 of them are ours, 2 of them are Detroit's.

KMcMahon817
06-15-2012, 05:13 PM

Probably one of the dumber comments I have seen on here in a while.

RadioheadRocks
06-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Extremely thankful I got to see the one Sox victory while I was in STL.