PDA

View Full Version : You make the call

doublem23
06-14-2012, 03:49 PM
This play is from the 1st inning of last night's Mets/Rays game. B.J. Upton bounces a ball towards 3B, which David Wright attempts to barehand, whiffs on the ball, and Upton is awarded an IF single. A pretty standard judgment call that could have gone either way, Uptown getting a little bit of home-cooking with the hit, no doubt.

Except that would be the only hit the Rays would get all night against R.A. Dickey who pitched a complete game, 1-hitter for the Mets. The Mets are appealing the scoring decision to MLB.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=22257601&c_id=mlb

What's your call? Hit or error?

Boondock Saint
06-14-2012, 03:55 PM
He was trying to make a play on a very fast runner. Even if he came up with it clean, he might not have gotten him. It's a hit.

downstairs
06-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Error, by far. He touched it! Its not like he was playing close to 2nd and had to dive for it and missed (that's a hit in my book).

He was playing right in the line of the ball, tried to barehand rather that use his glove, and essentially dropped it.

Madvora
06-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Upton didn't hit a screaming line drive that was impossible to field. The third baseman approached the ball without a lot of haste. The out was possible. Error.

sox1970
06-14-2012, 04:44 PM
If a fielder tries to bare hand it, that means he thinks he has to bare hand it to get the runner. You can't give him an error in that situation. They made the right call.

And the appeal is beyond ridiculous.

doublem23
06-14-2012, 04:58 PM
And the appeal is beyond ridiculous.

FWIW, appeals of judgment calls in a game's scoring happen all the time and it's not unusual for them to be reversed. Just unusual that a no-hitter hang in the balance.

white sox bill
06-14-2012, 05:21 PM
E 5!!

sox1970
06-14-2012, 05:46 PM
FWIW, appeals of judgment calls in a game's scoring happen all the time and it's not unusual for them to be reversed. Just unusual that a no-hitter hang in the balance.

Yes, I know players complain and occasionally get things changed.

In this case, on a barehand play, not a chance.

Plus he pitched the rest of the game without the pressure of throwing a no-hitter. They won't change that call.

DumpJerry
06-14-2012, 06:16 PM
If it gets reversed, will this be the first time there were two no hitters on the same day?

Boondock Saint
06-14-2012, 06:19 PM
If this gets reversed, Tigers fans riot. This was a judgment call, and is debatable. The final out of Armando Galarraga's perfect game was not. If they don't change the call on a clear screw up, there's no way in hell they can justify this one.

sox1970
06-14-2012, 06:34 PM
If it gets reversed, will this be the first time there were two no hitters on the same day?

No. Fernando Valenzuela and Dave Stewart did it.

doublem23
06-14-2012, 10:44 PM
If this gets reversed, Tigers fans riot. This was a judgment call, and is debatable. The final out of Armando Galarraga's perfect game was not. If they don't change the call on a clear screw up, there's no way in hell they can justify this one.

The two of them aren't related at all, this isn't changing what happened in the game, it's only changing the way a play is being scored. It's not like they're trying to argue Upton never reached 1B.

DSpivack
06-14-2012, 10:58 PM
It was a slow chopper to 3B by a fast runner. I don't think Wright would have necessarily got him out at 1B had he not fumbled it.

I voted hit, but I really hope the churros aren't cold.