PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Dempster

cards press box
06-14-2012, 12:54 PM
On XM radio's show Power Alley this morning, Matt Stairs stated that while Ryan Dempster was open to being traded, he would likely want to remain in Chicago this summer. Stairs noted that Demspter could do so because he was a 5 and 10 player and predicted that the White Sox would acquire him.

How does a big four of Chris Sale, Jake Peavy, Ryan Dempster and John Danks with Jose Quintana as the fifth starter sound?

beasly213
06-14-2012, 12:56 PM
What do the Sox have that the Cubs would want? I wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs traded him to a contender that over pays him and re signed him in the off season.

kittle42
06-14-2012, 01:09 PM
What do the Sox have that the Cubs would want?

Reed.

mzh
06-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Reed.
lol. While nothing Kenny does surprises me anymore, why should the Cubs expect anything more than a B prospect at best for half a season of a #3 starter?

doublem23
06-14-2012, 01:36 PM
lol. While nothing Kenny does surprises me anymore, why should the Cubs expect anything more than a B prospect at best for half a season of a #3 starter?

Isn't Reed basically a B prospect?

DSpivack
06-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Isn't Reed basically a B prospect?

I believe Baseball America called him the best relief prospect in baseball last season. I don't know if that makes him a B prospect. I wouldn't trade him for Dempster, as I don't trust that he could up the same level of performance in the AL.

JB98
06-14-2012, 01:52 PM
I believe Baseball America called him the best relief prospect in baseball last season. I don't know if that makes him a B prospect. I wouldn't trade him for Dempster, as I don't trust that he could up the same level of performance in the AL.

Agreed, I would not give up much of anything for two months of Ryan Dempster. I'm not convinced Dempster would be much of an upgrade over Gavin Floyd when it comes to facing American League hitters.

If we could get Dempster for somebody in Double-A or A-Ball, I'd consider it. But no chance in hell I'd give up somebody off the MLB roster to acquire a back-of-the-rotation starter like Dempster.

doublem23
06-14-2012, 02:01 PM

Oh I wouldn't give Reed away either, I just don't know if people know what a B-prospect is. Reed was something like #65 on BA's preseason Top 100, he's not a bluechip, 5-star megaprospect by any stretch.

WhiteSox5187
06-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Agreed, I would not give up much of anything for two months of Ryan Dempster. I'm not convinced Dempster would be much of an upgrade over Gavin Floyd when it comes to facing American League hitters.

If we could get Dempster for somebody in Double-A or A-Ball, I'd consider it. But no chance in hell I'd give up somebody off the MLB roster to acquire a back-of-the-rotation starter like Dempster.

Agreed, Dempster is a nice pitcher but I don't think he'd survive in the AL. I MIGHT be willing to give the Cubs Fukudome (MAYBE Lillibridge, probably not though). I don't think Dempster would do well at the Cell either.

Noneck
06-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Being a 5-10 player has Dempster holding all the cards. If he says its the Sox or nothing that puts epstein in the rock and a hard place position. Saving a couple months of Dempster salary and getting an axlerod type sure beats getting squat.

beasly213
06-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Reed.

A good closer is worthless to a team that doesn't plan on playing meaningful games for a few years.

Hitmen77
06-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Oh I wouldn't give Reed away either, I just don't know if people know what a B-prospect is. Reed was something like #65 on BA's preseason Top 100, he's not a bluechip, 5-star megaprospect by any stretch.

Yes, but he's succeeding as a closer at the major league level now. Is he really a prospect anymore? It's not like he's some waiting-in-the-wings prospect that *might* make it to the bigs some day.

Lip Man 1
06-14-2012, 03:25 PM
I'd be very surprised if the Cubs would deal one of their better players to the Sox unless it was for an offer they couldn't refuse.

Those two clubs haven't made a lot of deals over the years because of the risk of having that player do well on the other club and making the team that traded him look bad.

Lip

Noneck
06-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Lip I thought about that but that was before the messiah took over. I would think he may want to do things a little different than what has been done in the previous century.

tstrike2000
06-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Agreed, Dempster is a nice pitcher but I don't think he'd survive in the AL. I MIGHT be willing to give the Cubs Fukudome (MAYBE Lillibridge, probably not though). I don't think Dempster would do well at the Cell either.

We would have to pay someone to take Fukudome off of our hands and nobody would give us anything of value for Lillibridge, who's a .189 hitting pinch runner with some position versatility.

kittle42
06-14-2012, 03:52 PM

Seriously!? Fukudome AND Lillibridge couldn't get you a bag of balls, let alone a decent player for 3 months. Is this how much we overvalue our own?

doublem23
06-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Seriously!? Fukudome AND Lillibridge couldn't get you a bag of balls, let alone a decent player for 3 months.

http://www.terrariaonline.com/attachments/thats_the_joke-jpg.31014/

asindc
06-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Seriously!? Fukudome AND Lillibridge couldn't get you a bag of balls, let alone a decent player for 3 months. Is this how much we overvalue our own?

I think WS5187 was talking more about what he thinks Dempster is worth than what he actually expects to get him for.

Foulke You
06-14-2012, 04:32 PM

Completely agree. I'd be very weary of giving up a lot for a Dempster rental. Dempster's career record vs. the AL certainly should give one pause because he is 10W-15L with a 4.78 E.R.A. vs. the American League. I don't think he sucks, but like you, I feel that he likely goes from Cubs ace to #3 or #4 type starter in the AL who will give you some innings and some quality starts.

If you can get them to take a Dylan Axelrod for Dempster, I might be tempted. I certainly wouldn't want to part with more than a mid level prospect or two for a 60 day rental which will only net you about 12 starts.

kittle42
06-14-2012, 04:53 PM
I think WS5187 was talking more about what he thinks Dempster is worth than what he actually expects to get him for.

Color me embarrassed.

But as we get closer to the trade deadline, I actually expect to see serious posts like that - I mean, we already had someone suggest DFAing Humber, Floyd, and Danks.

DumpJerry
06-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Being a 5-10 player has Dempster holding all the cards. If he says its the Sox or nothing that puts epstein in the rock and a hard place position. Saving a couple months of Dempster salary and getting an axlerod type sure beats getting squat.
Theo would not be getting rid of Dempster to save money, he is stocking up the minors with as many young prospects as possible. That is his objective. If he does not deal Dempster, he'll probably offer him arbitration and pray it is rejected so the Cubs get a compensation pick (does the new CBA still have that?).

As noted above, Dempster does not do well in the AL, so I would not want him here unless they take Ohman off our hands for him (but they won't, they want A and AA kids).....

DSpivack
06-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Theo would not be getting rid of Dempster to save money, he is stocking up the minors with as many young prospects as possible. That is his objective. If he does not deal Dempster, he'll probably offer him arbitration and pray it is rejected so the Cubs get a compensation pick (does the new CBA still have that?).

As noted above, Dempster does not do well in the AL, so I would not want him here unless they take Ohman off our hands for him (but they won't, they want A and AA kids).....

Those compensation picks are still there, what I think they did away with is the rigging of free agency for teams to sign a guy in the offseason and get a compensation pick the following year; as well as trading for arb-eligible free agents during the season (you don't get the compensation pick there, either).

Noneck
06-14-2012, 07:49 PM

Its a tricky situation. If the cubs keep dempster they will have to offer him a qualifying offer which is currently estimated at 12-13m for 2013. If demspter accepts, they have him for another year. If he rejects, the cubs get the teams that signs him top draft choice unless that draft choice is in the top ten draft selections and then get the teams 2nd draft pick. Epstein may be stuck with dempster for another year by offering the set amount of 12-13m. Then again this whole talk may be a moot point if dempster being a 10-5 guy is dead set on staying a cub.

DSpivack
06-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Its a tricky situation. If the cubs keep dempster they will have to offer him a qualifying offer which is currently estimated at 12-13m for 2013. If demspter accepts, they have him for another year. If he rejects, the cubs get the teams that signs him top draft choice unless that draft choice is in the top ten draft selections and then get the teams 2nd draft pick. Epstein may be stuck with dempster for another year by offering the set amount of 12-13m. Then again this whole talk may be a moot point if dempster being a 10-5 guy is dead set on staying a cub.

As long as he keeps pitching like he has so far this season, I don't think trading him at $12 or $13 million would be difficult.

Noneck
06-14-2012, 07:58 PM
As long as he keeps pitching like he has so far this season, I don't think trading him at $12 or $13 million would be difficult.

But he will still have that 10-5 clause which puts a monkey wrench in trading him next year.

DSpivack
06-14-2012, 08:22 PM
But he will still have that 10-5 clause which puts a monkey wrench in trading him next year.

I forgot about that.

DumpJerry
06-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Yeah, there were people who wanted to stay on the Titanic as it was going down.....

Noneck
06-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Yeah, there were people who wanted to stay on the Titanic as it was going down.....

If this will be his decision, I am sure it will be due to family issues.

Brian26
06-14-2012, 11:04 PM
What do the Sox have that the Cubs would want?

Matt Karchner

Brian26
06-14-2012, 11:07 PM

The Sox gave away Edwin Jackson last year for a bag of balls.

doublem23
06-14-2012, 11:09 PM
Matt Karchner

:thumbsup:

kittle42
06-14-2012, 11:55 PM
The Sox gave away Edwin Jackson last year for a bag of balls.

No kidding.

Tragg
06-15-2012, 12:09 AM
Good gracious - trade young talent to rent Dempster and his 1.43 career WHIP and $14 mill salary.
Plus, it's Kenny Williams doing the trading. And trading is a task at which Kenny Williams is particularly poor.

06-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Dempster looking good vs. the Red Sox so far today.

white sox bill
06-15-2012, 07:31 PM
A buddy of mine were talking today and he was listening to the Score and whoever was the host said that the cubs would trade Dempster to the Sox for Quintana and Santaigo in a heartbeat.

I bet they would too...

cards press box
06-18-2012, 06:24 PM
A buddy of mine were talking today and he was listening to the Score and whoever was the host said that the cubs would trade Dempster to the Sox for Quintana and Santaigo in a heartbeat.

I bet they would too...

Which goofy host said that? Geez, the Cubs would surely deal Dempster for Konerko, Peavy and Dunn too but that is not going to happen, either. Sports talk radio can be good but sometimes it can be pretty damn ridiculous.

On a far more reasonable note, I don't think the Cubs are dealing Dempster anywhere anytime soon, as he went on the 15 day DL (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-dempster-on-15day-dl-with-lat-tightness-soto-maine-recalled-20120618,0,7625088.story) today with lat tightness.

LITTLE NELL
06-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Which goofy host said that? Geez, the Cubs would surely deal Dempster for Konerko, Peavy and Dunn too but that is not going to happen, either. Sports talk radio can be good but sometimes it can be pretty damn ridiculous.

On a far more reasonable note, I don't think the Cubs are dealing Dempster anywhere anytime soon, as he went on the 15 day DL (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-dempster-on-15day-dl-with-lat-tightness-soto-maine-recalled-20120618,0,7625088.story) today with lat tightness.

That should not stop the Sox, we picked up Peavy when he was on the DL.

SephClone89
06-18-2012, 06:55 PM

Good one, but Peavy still had three years left on his contract.

PaleHoser
06-19-2012, 12:14 AM
He's been a National League pitcher his entire career and has a below .500 career won/loss record (115-119 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/dempsry01.shtml)). I doubt he could hack it in the American League.

WhiteSox5187
06-19-2012, 12:18 AM
[/I][/B]

Yea and that turned out well.

DumpJerry
06-19-2012, 08:05 AM
He's been a National League pitcher his entire career and has a below .500 career won/loss record (115-119 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/dempsry01.shtml)). I doubt he could hack it in the American League.
I agree that he is a NL pitcher, but won-loss records are one of the worst measures of a pitcher's skills.

gobears1987
06-19-2012, 08:35 AM
I agree that he is a NL pitcher, but won-loss records are one of the worst measures of a pitcher's skills.

Especially when he plays for the Cubs and spent most of his career as a reliever.

SephClone89
06-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Especially when he... spent most of his career as a reliever.

Four seasons out of fifteen doesn't qualify as "most" of a career.

doublem23
06-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Four seasons out of fifteen doesn't qualify as "most" of a career.

Don't be such a propellerhead, it FEELS like Dempster has been a reliever most of his career, we don't need numbers for stuff like that

PaleHoser
06-19-2012, 04:49 PM

For a season, maybe two I'd agree.

For a 15 year career, being below .500 tells me he doesn't know how to find a way to win.

IMO, Javy Vazquez (who's home sitting on a beach in Puerto Rico) would be a better choice if I was trolling for an veteran arm. You don't have to give up players and might cost less money. He'd eat innings and finish .500 just like Dempster.

I can't believe I just said that. :puking:

SephClone89
06-19-2012, 04:52 PM
For a season, maybe two I'd agree.

For a 15 year career, being below .500 tells me he doesn't know how to find a way to win.

:facepalm:

mzh
06-19-2012, 06:55 PM
:facepalm:
Thread degradation in 3... 2.... 1....

SoxThunder
06-24-2012, 09:16 PM
IMO, Javy Vazquez (who's home sitting on a beach in Puerto Rico) would be a better choice if I was trolling for an veteran arm. You don't have to give up players and might cost less money. He'd eat innings and finish .500 just like Dempster.

...and this thread is OVAH!!!!!!!!!!