PDA

View Full Version : Matt Cain doing ridiculous things

CoopaLoop
06-13-2012, 11:27 PM
On MLB Network right now.

Spotless through 7, 13 K's and Blanco just made a Dewayne Wise like catch to keep it intact.

Boondock Saint
06-13-2012, 11:38 PM
Through eight.

CoopaLoop
06-13-2012, 11:39 PM
14 k's and two tough plays to get through the 8th.

Pitch count is at 114, should they take him out? :tongue:

doublem23
06-13-2012, 11:39 PM
Bogusevic, Snyder, and the pitcher's spot (currently Xavier Cedeno) due up in the 9th for Houston

Boondock Saint
06-13-2012, 11:44 PM
14 k's and two tough plays to get through the 8th.

Pitch count is at 114, should they take him out? :tongue:

http://aeryssports.com/a-league-of-her-own/files/2011/02/dusty.jpg
"Looks pretty low to me."

doublem23
06-13-2012, 11:44 PM
ESPN and ESPN2 will be covering the 9th, as well

CoopaLoop
06-13-2012, 11:46 PM
Blanco's catch: http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_06_13_houmlb_sfnmlb_1&highlight_content_id=22268621&c_id=sf

Boondock Saint
06-13-2012, 11:50 PM
One more out...

CoopaLoop
06-13-2012, 11:50 PM
One more to go.

mzh
06-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Kerry Wood scoffs at this.

Boondock Saint
Perfect game!

DSpivack
Matt Cain is the name and he just pitched a perfect game!

doublem23
06-13-2012, 11:53 PM
Incredible, I thought he lost it on the double clutch at 3B on Out 27.

Foulke You
06-13-2012, 11:55 PM
Kerry Wood scoffs at this.
Well played sir! :D:

Foulke You
06-13-2012, 11:57 PM
Incredible, I thought he lost it on the double clutch at 3B on Out 27.
It was a nice recovery from Sandoval. I thought the same thing you did though.

EDIT: Not Sandoval, Joaquin Arias.

doublem23
06-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Blanco's catch: http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_06_13_houmlb_sfnmlb_1&highlight_content_id=22268621&c_id=sf

I'm not going to lie, the guy hovering in McCovey Cove is equally, if not more, exciting. :cool:

CoopaLoop
06-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Haha Cain says he thinks about no hitters when he gets passed the first inning without a hit.

doublem23
06-14-2012, 12:03 AM
Haha Cain says he thinks about no hitters when he gets passed the first inning without a hit.

I don't know about anybody else, but every time I am at a game and both teams get their first hit, a little part of me dies on the inside

CoopaLoop
06-14-2012, 12:05 AM
I don't know about anybody else, but every time I am at a game and both teams get their first hit, a little part of me dies on the inside

Haha I know what you mean, but I was lucky enough to be at Buehrle's so I am good if it never happens again. I know know you're happy for me.

SephClone89
06-14-2012, 12:08 AM
DAMN. I've been reading and my girlfriend (who's a Bay Area native and Giants fan) went to bed an hour ago. I had suggested we turn it on mlb.tv earlier, too. Bummer.

soxnut1018
06-14-2012, 12:11 AM
Brian Runge has now been the umpire for 3 no hitters this year (including 2 perfect games).

CoopaLoop
06-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Wow they are breaking down that last out. So close to being a disaster at third.

doublem23
06-14-2012, 12:17 AM
http://deadspin.com/5918295/matt-cain-threw-mlbs-22nd-perfect-game-and-heres-the-final-out-as-called-on-tv-radio-and-en-espaol

Off topic, the Juegos Perfectos is probably my go-to fantasy baseball team name forever.

thomas35forever
06-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Congratulations, Matt! Enjoy it over there as much as Philip did here.

doublem23
06-14-2012, 01:04 AM
It was a nice recovery from Sandoval. I thought the same thing you did though.

FWIW, it was actually Joaquin Arias at 3B in the 9th

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=320613126

TDog
06-14-2012, 03:00 AM

When I'm watching Matt Cain pitch, I'm thinking no-hitter when he gets past the first without giving up a hit. It isn't that he has gone deep into many games with a no-hitter. In his one-hit shutout in April, the hit came with two outs in the sixth. I just thought he has no-hit stuff.

There were a couple of balls that would have been home runs just about anywhere else. It wouldn't have been a shutout at the Cell. AT&T is a great park for pitchers and line-drive hitters with speed, especially after the sun goes down. But that takes nothing away from Cain's performance. He set a career high with 14 strikeouts, which ties Sandy Koufax for the most strikeouts in a perfect game

Really, an incredible game. The Giants scored 10 runs in the first five innings. (Cain personally outscored the Astros.) From the sixth inning on, it wasn't just about winning the game, it was about making history. And it was the first perfect game Giants history, going back to the birth of the New York team in the 19th century.

The thing that makes a complete game no-hitter, especially a perfect game so intense and really in a class by themselves, is that no matter how well you have done, there is the pressure in knowing you can lose it with the next pitch. If he were pursuing the strikeout record, he could have simply challenged hitters.

Good thing one of those ninth-inning flyouts didn't hit one of the sea gulls. That would have been a terrible way to lose a perfect game.

russ99
06-14-2012, 05:55 AM
I'm not going to lie, the guy hovering in McCovey Cove is equally, if not more, exciting. :cool:

Surely.

Blanco made a very nice play, (IMO he didn't have to dive) but is everyone forgetting DeWayne Wise? :D:

It's not like Blanco jumped up the wall and took away a homer, and Wise ran almost as far.

Zakath
06-14-2012, 05:57 AM
There probably should have been two no-hitters last night, as the "single" hit by BJ Upton for the Rays vs. the Mets off of R.A. Dickey in the first inning really should have been ruled an error on David Wright, which was the Rays' only hit in their 10-1 loss (Rays scored in the ninth on another error by Wright, two passed balls, and a groundout).

There have only been two times in baseball history, and once in the "modern" era, where two no-hitters were thrown on the same day: April 22, 1898 (Ted Breitenstein for the Reds vs. the Pirates and Jay Hughes for the NL version of the Baltimore Orioles vs. the Boston Beaneaters [eventually the Atlanta Braves]); and June 29, 1990 (Dave Stewart for the A's vs. the Blue Jays and Fernando Valenzuela for the Dodgers vs. the Cardinals).

SephClone89
06-14-2012, 07:01 AM
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/matt-cains-place-in-history/

Zakath
06-14-2012, 07:13 AM
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/matt-cains-place-in-history/

Pardon my ignorance, but exactly how is "Game Score" calculated?

At this point, I'm beginning to believe that people are just making statistics up because they have nothing better to do and have some inferiority complex that they're trying to overcome without resorting to therapy...

vinny
06-14-2012, 07:22 AM

At this point, I'm beginning to believe that people are just making statistics up because they have nothing better to do and have some inferiority complex that they're trying to overcome without resorting to therapy...

It's a Bill James invention.

Start with 50 points.
Add 1 point for each out (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_%28baseball%29) recorded, so 3 points for every complete inning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innings) pitched.
Add 2 points for each inning completed after the 4th.
Add 1 point for each strikeout (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strikeout).
Subtract 2 points for each hit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hit_%28baseball%29) allowed.
Subtract 4 points for each earned run (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earned_run) allowed.
Subtract 2 points for each unearned run allowed.
Subtract 1 point for each walk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_on_balls).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_score

tstrike2000
06-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Amazing game all the way around. Congrats to Cain who has remained remarkably consistent thus far in his career.

SephClone89
06-14-2012, 08:07 AM

What does this even mean?

pythons007
06-14-2012, 08:13 AM
Cain is Able!

doublem23
06-14-2012, 08:26 AM

The calculations have already been posted, but if it makes you feel better, Game Score's been around for quite some time now, it's just that it has only recently entered the mainstream.

FWIW, I also believe that people who rip on statistics they haven't even bothered to understand (Try this newfangled "Google dot com") are the ones with the inferiority complex. FWIW.

soltrain21
06-14-2012, 11:14 AM
The calculations have already been posted, but if it makes you feel better, Game Score's been around for quite some time now, it's just that it has only recently entered the mainstream.

FWIW, I also believe that people who rip on statistics they haven't even bothered to understand (Try this newfangled "Google dot com") are the ones with the inferiority complex. FWIW.

Wait wait wait. Do I have to put a W W W in front of that?

TDog
06-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Surely.

Blanco made a very nice play, (IMO he didn't have to dive) but is everyone forgetting DeWayne Wise? :D:

It's not like Blanco jumped up the wall and took away a homer, and Wise ran almost as far.

First of all, yes, people are forgetting Wise's catch. Maybe the Cell should commemorate the spot where it happened so no one forgets. Seriously, though, during the Giants' postgame, the commentators pretty much agreed that it was the greatest catch ever in a perfect game.

Blanco did make a great catch, though. If you were watching the game live (I wasn't at the ballpark, but I'm sure it looked even more unbelievable in person) there appeared no way he was going to get to the ball, especially as the right fielder. That is such a huge outfield.

gobears1987
06-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Matt Cain's perfect game against the Astros makes Floyd and Humber look really bad.

gobears1987
06-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Game Score is just another example of BS that allows morons like Dave Kaplan to masturbate to Kerry Wood.

#1swisher
06-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Jayson Stark

As Matt Cain reminded us, it's The Age of the Pitcher. But how'd we get to this Age?
Here's how.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8048897/the-age-pitcher-how-got-here-mlb

gobears1987
06-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Jayson Stark

As Matt Cain reminded us, it's The Age of the Pitcher. But how'd we get to this Age?
Here's how.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8048897/the-age-pitcher-how-got-here-mlb

I think improved orthopedics, conditioning, and how teams protect their pitchers plays a role in this too.

SephClone89
06-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Game Score is just another example of BS that allows morons like Dave Kaplan to masturbate to Kerry Wood.

Your critique of advanced stats is always so thoughtful and developed.

doublem23
06-14-2012, 03:21 PM

Definitely, Bill James came up with the stat before Kerry Wood was in high school, but you totally schooled him, BRAH

Foulke You
06-14-2012, 03:36 PM
FWIW, it was actually Joaquin Arias at 3B in the 9th

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=320613126
DOH! My mistake. :redface:

TDog
06-14-2012, 04:10 PM

I sympathize with your point. What Game Score does is assign numbers using subjective criteria to objectively grade starts.

Any system is flawed if it allows you to place Kerry Wood's imperfect game higher than any perfect game, or even Jonathan Sanchez's no-hitter where the opposition went 0-for-28 and only got to first with a Juan Uribe error.

RadioheadRocks
06-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Great game, although some moron (with a Cub cap on his profile picture... figures) on the MLB.com FB page bitched and moaned about how Philip Humber pitched a perfect game and it totally discredited the accomplishment.

My response: "Humber has struggled lately but that was a damn fine game. Sorry it didn't meet with your approval."

SephClone89
06-14-2012, 04:11 PM
I sympathize with your point. What Game Score does is assign numbers using subjective criteria to objectively grade starts.

Any system is flawed if it allows you to place Kerry Wood's imperfect game higher than any perfect game, or even Jonathan Sanchez's no-hitter where the opposition went 0-for-28 and only got to first with a Juan Uribe error.

Why? I think a pitcher who allows only one hit and strikes out twenty guys (while walking NONE) has had a more dominant performance than Sanchez did. Easily.

We all need to chill out about the whole Wood 20k game vs perfect game debate. Is it obnoxious that the media for some reason needs to bring Wood up whenever a Sox player throws a perfect game? Absolutely. Does a perfect game, due to baseball's traditions and history, have a special quality to it that Wood's game doesn't live up to? Absolutely.

Was Wood's one (weak) hit game in which he struck out TWENTY batters a more dominant performance than many perfect games, including Humber and Buehrle's? Probably. Perfect games, by their very nature, require a good night for the defense. During Wood's game, the defense rarely even came into play, as they just stood there and watched K after K.

I know he's a Cub and all, and Kaplan and his ilk are jackasses for bringing it up at every turn, and his reputation has been ridiculously inflated over just one performance, but let's not take anything away from just how impressive that performance was.

SephClone89
06-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Great game, although some moron on the MLB.com FB page bitched and moaned about how Philip Humber pitched a perfect game and it totally discredited the accomplishment.

My response: "Humber has struggled lately but that was a damn fine game. Sorry it didn't meet with your approval."

It's a good general rule for everyone to avoid sports Facebook page comments.

doublem23
06-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Aubrey Huff hurt himself celebrating

http://www.csnbayarea.com/baseball-san-francisco-giants/giants-talk/Huff-hurts-knee-celebrating-perfect-game?blockID=724850&feedID=2796

DumpJerry
06-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Great game, although some moron (with a Cub cap on his profile picture... figures) on the MLB.com FB page bitched and moaned about how Philip Humber pitched a perfect game and it totally discredited the accomplishment.

You know what? The White Sox won both World Series games where they faced Sandy Koufax. I think that shows Koufax's no hitters and perfect game were flukes because they were against NL teams.

TDog
06-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Why? I think a pitcher who allows only one hit and strikes out twenty guys (while walking NONE) has had a more dominant performance than Sanchez did. Easily.

We all need to chill out about the whole Wood 20k game vs perfect game debate. Is it obnoxious that the media for some reason needs to bring Wood up whenever a Sox player throws a perfect game? Absolutely. Does a perfect game, due to baseball's traditions and history, have a special quality to it that Wood's game doesn't live up to? Absolutely.

Was Wood's one (weak) hit game in which he struck out TWENTY batters a more dominant performance than many perfect games, including Humber and Buehrle's? Probably. Perfect games, by their very nature, require a good night for the defense. During Wood's game, the defense rarely even came into play, as they just stood there and watched K after K.

I know he's a Cub and all, and Kaplan and his ilk are jackasses for bringing it up at every turn, and his reputation has been ridiculously inflated over just one performance, but let's not take anything away from just how impressive that performance was.

Kerry Wood being a Cub is irrelevant. In a perfect game, the pitcher doesn't allow a runner to reach first base. Kerry Wood never did than at any time in his career, not in a nine-inning start anyway.

You don't need to strike out hitters to pitch a no-hitter. Kenny Holtzman didn't strike out anyone in his first career no-hitter. Holtzman didn't have to sit out the next year with an arm injury and he went on to pitch another no-hitter.

When Sandy Koufax struck out 14 Cubs in a perfect game, hitters shortened up on their swings with two strikes. Not striking out was something hitters tried to do. Come the 1990s, when two of the three of the 20-strikeout games were pitched, hitters were striking out a lot more than they did in the 1960s, without shame. If it weren't for the current emphasis on pitch counts, there would be still more 20-strikeout games (i.e. Chris Sale had a shot at 20 strikeouts in his 15-strikeout game).

Maybe what happened to Kerry Wood after 1998 is one of the reasons teams care more about pitch counts than I believe they should. If Kerry Wood hadn't been all about strikeouts, he career wouldn't have peaked in his fifth major league start.

When Kerry Wood comes out of retirement and pitches a no-hitter, I will be impressed. At the moment, I find it a little strange that his name comes up any time someone actually accomplishes something that he never came close to accomplishing.

SephClone89
06-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Kerry Wood being a Cub is irrelevant. In a perfect game, the pitcher doesn't allow a runner to reach first base. Kerry Wood never did than at any time in his career, not in a nine-inning start anyway.

You don't need to strike out hitters to pitch a no-hitter. Kenny Holtzman didn't strike out anyone in his first career no-hitter. Holtzman didn't have to sit out the next year with an arm injury and he went on to pitch another no-hitter.

When Sandy Koufax struck out 14 Cubs in a perfect game, hitters shortened up on their swings with two strikes. Not striking out was something hitters tried to do. Come the 1990s, when two of the three of the 20-strikeout games were pitched, hitters were striking out a lot more than they did in the 1960s, without shame. If it weren't for the current emphasis on pitch counts, there would be still more 20-strikeout games (i.e. Chris Sale had a shot at 20 strikeouts in his 15-strikeout game).

Maybe what happened to Kerry Wood after 1998 is one of the reasons teams care more about pitch counts than I believe they should. If Kerry Wood hadn't been all about strikeouts, he career wouldn't have peaked in his fifth major league start.

When Kerry Wood comes out of retirement and pitches a no-hitter, I will be impressed. At the moment, I find it a little strange that his name comes up any time someone actually accomplishes something that he never came close to accomplishing.

I know what a perfect game is and I know what a no-hitter is. No **** Kerry Wood didn't pitch a perfect game or no-hitter. I never said he did. Regardless, his 20K game deserves to be in the absolute top tier of all-time pitching performances.

doublem23
06-14-2012, 09:42 PM

I get that numbers like 0, 1, and going all the way up to 2 are pretty intimidating to you, but please let me assure you that throwing a 1-hitter is actually pretty close to throwing a no-hitter, and only facing 2 batters above the minimum is actually pretty close to throwing a perfect game.

Before Buehrle's perfect game, there were plenty of Sox fans talking about how Mark's no-hitter ranked among other no-hitters as he only faced the minimum 27 batters thanks to picking off Sosa immediately after walking him. It's basically the same argument.

If you actually want to be intentionally bullheaded and ignorant on the subject, and pretend like the only stat that matters is "hits" when judging how dominant a SP's game was, fine, Wood's 20K is is still the 278th best start in Major League history, which is still something like top 1% of the top 1% of the top 1% of the top 1% of all starts ever. So it was still a remarkable achievement.

All you really accomplish, however, when you get into these kinds of debates with this kind of logic is make yourself, and by association, all Sox fans, look either A) petty, B) stupid, or C) both.

Frater Perdurabo
06-14-2012, 10:06 PM
I don't think any Sox fans object to Kerry Wood's 20K game being regarded as one of the best individual pitching performances of all time.

I think we Sox fans object to Chicago sports mediots and Cub fans consistently bringing up Wood's game every time a Sox pitcher does something special, as if they always and forever are obligated to make sure the Cubs receive an equal or greater amount of unearned attention.

Do Yankees fans and the media constantly bring up Don Larsen's World Series perfect game and actually attempt to diminish all other perfect games in comparison?

I hate the sense of entitlement the Cubs and their lemming media mouthpieces unceasingly regurgitate.

I think Cub fans and their cheerleaders in the media actually seethe with rage that the Sox won the 2005 World Series. Good. They can go **** themselves. I hope they never reach the playoffs ever again.

Bob Roarman
06-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Think it's time to grow up a bit, not let things like that, whether intentionally done or not, bother you.

CoopaLoop
06-14-2012, 11:23 PM
My favorite part of anti stats heads for lack of a better term is they never have a real argument, just some silly one liner that makes little sense.

DSpivack
06-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Think it's time to grow up a bit, not let things like that, whether intentionally done or not, bother you.

If anyone needs to grow up and become more mature it's the likes of Dave Kaplan and Mark Giangreco.

TommyJohn
06-15-2012, 12:49 AM
I don't think any Sox fans object to Kerry Wood's 20K game being regarded as one of the best individual pitching performances of all time.

I think we Sox fans object to Chicago sports mediots and Cub fans consistently bringing up Wood's game every time a Sox pitcher does something special, as if they always and forever are obligated to make sure the Cubs receive an equal or greater amount of unearned attention.

Do Yankees fans and the media constantly bring up Don Larsen's World Series perfect game and actually attempt to diminish all other perfect games in comparison?

I hate the sense of entitlement the Cubs and their lemming media mouthpieces unceasingly regurgitate.

I think Cub fans and their cheerleaders in the media actually seethe with rage that the Sox won the 2005 World Series. Good. They can go **** themselves. I hope they never reach the playoffs ever again.

Very well stated. I have no objection to Kerry Wood or his record. I object to the asswipes who use it to try and diminish any White Sox accomplishment. And these same dopes will sneer "quit living in the past" when a Sox fan invokes 2005. And I have no doubt that if a Sox fan tried to diminish a Cub accomplishment by comparing it unfavorably to a Sox one, he/she would be called a lowlife meathead and worse. And that's just by some posters on here.

Hitmen77
06-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Amazing that perfect games have been happening in relatively quick succession the last few years.

When I was a kid, the first perfect game I ever remember happening in MLB was when I was 13 years old (Len Barker). The previous perfect game before that (Catfish Hunter) happened when I was in infant.

After Charlie Robertson's perfect game in '22, the next regular season perfect game didn't happen until 1964!:o:

Agreed 100%

A. Cavatica
06-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Humber for Cain, straight up?

RadioheadRocks
06-15-2012, 08:10 PM

This.

RadioheadRocks
06-15-2012, 09:04 PM

The same can be said to those who constantly bitch and moan about "Cubsession" and "how it makes our fanbase look".

It all boils down to OPINIONS, and like we all know, "opinions are like *******s, everyone has them and everyone thinks that theirs doesn't stink and isn't full of ****".