PDA

View Full Version : Durham talks cooled down

Jerry_Manuel
07-25-2002, 10:12 AM
From the SouthTown:

With the way the trade market is, though, there's a good chance the Sox won't be able to move anyone. Over the past two weeks, most of the interest has turned to starting pitching and young players. The Sox had serious talks with some teams about Durham, but those "have now cooled," a source in the organization said.

It's a growing possibility Williams will hold the cards he's been holding all season at midnight next Wednesday.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-25-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
From the SouthTown:

Holding the cards he's got huh? I'd sure love to be playing poker with this dolt.

:KW

"I've got a deuce of spades, a jack of hearts, a nine of diamonds, a three of diamonds and a six of clubs. WHAT DO YOU HAVE??"

hold2dibber
07-25-2002, 10:37 AM
I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing. I really think people will miss Ray once/if he leaves - although he is incredibly streaky, I don't see anyone in the organization replicating his offensive numbers any time soon. Depending on what kind of $ he can command in the free agent market, I wouldn't mind seeing him back next year. Unless, of course, the Sox would use the money they'd save by having Hummel or Harris at 2B to obtain a quality starter.

Jerry_Manuel
07-25-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing. I really think people will miss Ray once/if he leaves - although he is incredibly streaky, I don't see anyone in the organization replicating his offensive numbers any time soon. Depending on what kind of $ he can command in the free agent market, I wouldn't mind seeing him back next year. Unless, of course, the Sox would use the money they'd save by having Hummel or Harris at 2B to obtain a quality starter.

He's (edit:not) coming back, the Sox have cheaper guys to plug in. While they may not do as well with the bat, they'll do better with the glove.

If they spend more money, which I doubt they will, they'll go after the Todd Ritchie type.

MarkEdward
07-25-2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

He's coming back, the Sox have cheaper guys to plug in. While they may not do as well with the bat, they'll do better with the glove.

If they spend more money, which I doubt they will, they'll go after the Todd Ritchie type.

I agree with Jerry. We have cheaper options in Hummell and Harris. Aside from that, once a player hits free agency, he's already reached his peak. I don't think Durham is going to have a terrific decline period.

rmusacch
07-25-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

I agree with Jerry. We have cheaper options in Hummell and Harris. Aside from that, once a player hits free agency, he's already reached his peak. I don't think Durham is going to have a terrific decline period.

Unless your name is Mr. Alex Rodriguez, who hit free agency at 25 and is still peaking.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-25-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

Cheaper options? Yes, definitely.

Better options? Don't bet on it.

Chances of living long enough to see a Sox championship in your lifetime following this reasoning? Yeah, sure.

Have a nice eternity.

Iwritecode
07-25-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge Cheaper options? Yes, definitely.

Better options? Don't bet on it.

Chances of living long enough to see a Sox championship in your lifetime following this reasoning? Yeah, sure.

Have a nice eternity.

:reinsy

What are you trying to say? Cheaper doesn't equal better? Now what would you guys rather have, a good team, or a low payroll? I know which one I'd rather have!

MarkEdward
07-25-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

Unless your name is Mr. Alex Rodriguez, who hit free agency at 25 and is still peaking.

Well obviously. Let's stick to non-superhuman players, m'kay?

Iwritecode
07-25-2002, 01:03 PM
Ya know, now that I sit and think about this, I'm not sure which I would rather have:

1. KW trade guys like Durham, Lofton, Clayton, Alomar, Ritchie, etc...

2. Let them walk and hope we get some good prospects out of the draft and use the extra money to go after a free agent.

With the strike looming it really makes it difficult to know what would happen if they are allowed to walk. Although could KW actually makes some decent trades and get some good players for these guys if he wanted to? The value of the guys we want to get rid of isn't real high. Who could possibly want them and who would they give up to get them?

It looks like we are screwed all the way around.

Procol Harum
07-25-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Ya know, now that I sit and think about this, I'm not sure which I would rather have

It looks like we are screwed all the way around.

By Jove, I think we're all getting it!! :o:

Randar68
07-25-2002, 01:32 PM
2. Let them walk and hope we get some good prospects out of the draft and use the extra money to go after a free agent.

With some of the proposed changes to the draft, we may see the elimination of compensatory picks.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-25-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

With some of the proposed changes to the draft, we may see the elimination of compensatory picks.

Good question. Presumably the compensatory picks would continue for one additional season even if a new CBA eliminated them. It would be SOP to grandfather this sort of work rule for a short transition period in order to allow all interested parties time to adjust to the new reality.

duke of dorwood
07-25-2002, 02:19 PM
What a predicament-either get players in trade that KW evaluates, or draft choices he evaluates.

:KW

I got all the tabs covered. This will be MY organization

Randar68
07-25-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
What a predicament-either get players in trade that KW evaluates, or draft choices he evaluates.

Well, KW may have final say, but the leg work and decisions will really be made by the scouting director and head regional scouts.

duke of dorwood
07-25-2002, 02:35 PM
Thats a bit better. Has there been much turnover in our scouts from the years our system was more respected?

Iwritecode
07-25-2002, 02:36 PM

Yea, that's what I was trying to say in my first post. Is it really a good idea to let these guys walk knowing it's possible that we may get absolutely nothing in return?

Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge Good question. Presumably the compensatory picks would continue for one additional season even if a new CBA eliminated them. It would be SOP to grandfather this sort of work rule for a short transition period in order to allow all interested parties time to adjust to the new reality.

That's a pretty good idea. I hope something like that would happen if they are eliminated.

Iwritecode
07-25-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Randar68 Well, KW may have final say, but the leg work and decisions will really be made by the scouting director and head regional scouts.

Yes, but they have no control over how many players KW gives away to get those players they've scouted...

Randar68
07-25-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Thats a bit better. Has there been much turnover in our scouts from the years our system was more respected?

No real turnover to speak of. Dan Evans leaving was about the only significant change I can think of.

Randar68
07-25-2002, 02:42 PM
Yea, that's what I was trying to say in my first post. Is it really a good idea to let these guys walk knowing it's possible that we may get absolutely nothing in return?

In order to receive compensation, we have to offer them arbitration. I am not so sure we will for Durham, Clayton or Alomar.

hold2dibber
07-25-2002, 02:50 PM

In order to receive compensation, we have to offer them arbitration. I am not so sure we will for Durham, Clayton or Alomar.

I wouldn't mind offering arbitration to Durham, as he seems unlikely to take it; or even if he did, I don't think a one year contract would be too cost prohibitive for the Sox. I think I might also offer it to Alomar; he's no good, but neither are Paul or MJ and at least Alomar does deliver the occassional clutch hit. Plus, I can't imagine he'd get a giant bonanza in arbitration after his performance the last few years. Of course, I'd rather go out and get a stud catcher, but there aren't many of those around.

hold2dibber
07-25-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum

By Jove, I think we're all getting it!! :o:

Yeah, we're getting it, all right . . . we're getting it right up the ...