06-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Tip your caps.

guillensdisciple
06-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Tip your caps.

I'm okay doing so today.

kittle42
06-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Two huge chances by the boards with the Rios triple and in the ninth. The former was particularly unforgivable.

ChicagoG19
06-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Two huge chances by the boards with the Rios triple and in the ninth. The former was particularly unforgivable.

Tough night, but let's take the rubber match tomorrow.

arKnaD7
06-13-2012, 09:45 PM

Couldn't have said it better.

Boondock Saint
06-13-2012, 09:46 PM
I ****ing hate sacrificing runners to second. They only need three ****ing outs, you only just then managed to put your fifth runner on base to that point in the game, and your best strategy is to hand one of those three outs to them for free, in the hopes that you'll manage to get a base hit in the final two outs. Stupid.

OmahaSoxFan
This was just one of those games, nice to see the Sox fight in the top of the 9th and make the Cardinals sweat a little more.

No harm done in reality, the Indians lost to the Reds again tonight - so the lead in the division remains at 1.5 games.

Go get 'em tomorrow boys!

Soxman219
Why didn't they try a steal for J.Danks to prevent a double play?

vinny
06-13-2012, 09:47 PM
That's life. Get the series tomorrow.

Really good performance by Peavy after a few recent mediocre starts.

ChiSoxGal85
06-13-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm okay doing so today.
Me too, but...

I hated that.

Lynn was damn good, Peavy too - just not as good. We can't win 'em all. Let's hope Good Gavin shows up tomorrow.

soxnut1018
06-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Why didn't they try a steal for Danks!?

Because if he's successful, the bat's taken out of Paulie's hands.

Madvora
06-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Really not the time for GIDPK to show up.

Boondock Saint
06-13-2012, 09:52 PM

If he's successful, you force the other team to put the winning run on base.

Dibbs
06-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Ghosts of Walkerball past.

Hat tippage.

Frater Perdurabo
06-13-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm okay doing so today.

Yeah. Much better than Bruce Chen.

WhiteSox5187
06-13-2012, 09:54 PM
I ****ing hate sacrificing runners to second. They only need three ****ing outs, you only just then managed to put your fifth runner on base to that point in the game, and your best strategy is to hand one of those three outs to them for free, in the hopes that you'll manage to get a base hit in the final two outs. Stupid.

I am not as horribly opposed to the sac bunt as seemingly most people are on this board but I agree with you here. Unless the pitcher is up I don't see the point of sacrificing a guy over to second. The only good thing that comes from sacrificing a guy over to second is that it keeps you out of a double play and if you're that worried about a double play just send the runner or try a hit and run.

I was watching the game on Gamecast and I THINK the count was 3-1 so maybe the theory was if Danks was successful and Konerko didn't swing you'd allow the Cardinals to walk your best hitter and take the bat out of his hands.

Soxman219
06-13-2012, 09:55 PM

How? Either there's runners on second and third with 1 out or there's De Aza still on third with two outs. At least the game wouldn't be ended on a double play.

WhiteSox5187
06-13-2012, 09:55 PM

The winning run was on base. If Danks steals second successfully you would then just walk Konerko to set up the double play again and this time you don't have your best hitter coming up. To be honest I wouldn't have minded if they sent Danks and I didn't mind that they didn't.

WisSoxFan
06-13-2012, 09:56 PM

Danks was the winning run. Hit and run on 3 and 1 may have been a better option than a straight steal.

I will say this I thought they set Paulie up with those two inside pitches and then went away.

Soxman219
06-13-2012, 09:57 PM
How? Either there's runners on second and third with 1 out or there's De Aza still on third with two outs. At least the game wouldn't be ended on a double play.

Wait, never mind I understand now

Boondock Saint
06-13-2012, 10:02 PM
The winning run was on base. If Danks steals second successfully you would then just walk Konerko to set up the double play again and this time you don't have your best hitter coming up. To be honest I wouldn't have minded if they sent Danks and I didn't mind that they didn't.

Danks was the winning run. Hit and run on 3 and 1 may have been a better option than a straight steal.

I will say this I thought they set Paulie up with those two inside pitches and then went away.

My apologies. A successful steal manages to put the winning run in scoring position. Taking the bat out of Paulie's hands isn't great, but having the bases loaded with one out and Rios at the plate is a pretty good situation.

FielderJones
06-13-2012, 10:06 PM

Hat tippage.

It's all Mantoball now. Give it a rest.

WhiteSox5187
06-13-2012, 10:13 PM
My apologies. A successful steal manages to put the winning run in scoring position. Taking the bat out of Paulie's hands isn't great, but having the bases loaded with one out and Rios at the plate is a pretty good situation.

That is true but the tying run is still 90 feet away and the double play is still in order. I suppose the winning run is closer but a ground ball still gets the Cardinals out of the inning.

Dick Allen
06-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Tough night, but let's take the rubber match tomorrow.Uh, you do know who's pitching tomorrow, don't you? That's why this game would have been really big to pull out a victory.

Golden Sox
06-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Alexi is suppose to hit once the weather warms up. He looks sick at the plate. Perhaps a few days on the bench might do him some good.

Lip Man 1
06-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Tough, tough loss. It was there for the taking and they couldn't do it.

6th time they've been shut out this year...
2nd time they've lost 1-0 (and I think Peavy got the loss both times)...
7th loss this year allowing opponent three runs or less...
6-7 in one run games...

Lip

tstrike2000
06-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Unfortunate that we couldn't get a sac fly to score a run in at least one of those two innings. The Lynn\Peavy matchup was as good as expected. Hopefully Gavin to hold them in check tomorrow.

Crooked Number
06-13-2012, 10:49 PM

Hat tippage.

I would lean more on the side of the Sox faced terrific pitching tonight. Walkerball was at its best when a no namer with a 6+ era would shut us down. Gavin could really give this club momentum, and do wonders for his confidence with a quality start tomorrow. Let's see if he can finally perform like we know he can.

JB98
06-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Normally, I don't like the squeeze play when you're down a run, but if there was ever a time for it, it was with Ramirez at the plate and Rios on third with one out in the fifth.

I thought A.J. would pick up the RBI there with the infield back and no outs, but unfortunately, he couldn't put the ball in play. I had ZERO confidence in Ramirez against Lynn, and I knew they would put Hudson on and take their chances with Peavy if it came down to that. So, I think would have tried a squeeze there with Ramirez.

Also, put me in the camp that would have run Danks on 3-1 with Konerko at the plate in the ninth. Paulie didn't look like he was locked in tonight. On a night where he looks locked in, you just let it play out and take your chances. However, Konerko was hitting the ball on the ground all night. I was MUCH more worried about a GIDP than a strike-em-out, throw-em-out DP in that spot. I figured if it was a strike, Paulie would put it in play. If it's out of the zone, Paulie would take ball four and then it would be up to Rios.

I certainly understand why Robin had Danks stay put. There are several good, sound reasons not to run him. But given the way the night was going, I think I would have tried something there.

Tough loss. Good pitching, good defense, just ran into a tough pitcher and couldn't execute when we did get an opportunity.

BigHurt3515
06-13-2012, 10:54 PM
That was a very frustrating game to watch in person. I thought forsure we would of scored in the 9th with Paulie. I loved the Paulie chants though. It was awesome to hear when I was there. It was a great game to watch though. Kinda worried about tomorrow's game. Hopefully it will be the first game of a great stretch from Floyd, I think he is close to getting there. Westbrook has been struggling for the Cardinals lately plus a lot of our hitters has seen him so I like the combo on that

ZombieRob
06-13-2012, 11:06 PM
I was calling for that in the game thread. with 1 out it really doesn't take the bat out of Konerkos hands.

Brian26
06-13-2012, 11:08 PM
Tip your caps.

This was a good game. Great defense on both sides. Alexei and Dayan made nice catches. Beltran had a great catch for St. Louis, and of course Furcal saved the tying run from scoring in the 9th.

Would have liked to have seen Alexei get Rios in from third with less than two outs earlier in the game.

Foulke You
06-13-2012, 11:15 PM
I would lean more on the side of the Sox faced terrific pitching tonight. Walkerball was at its best when a no namer with a 6+ era would shut us down.
Agreed. When I think of cap tippin', I think of Tyler Chatwood, Brad Penny, Rodrigo Lopez, a bad Francisco Liriano, and Bruce Chen just to name a handful of the stiffs who dazzled White Sox hitters last season.

doublem23
06-13-2012, 11:26 PM

Because if there's runners at 2nd and 3rd with 1 out, they just walk Konerko

I know GIDPK is frustating, but the guy's OBP is north of 40%. Sucks to go down, but at least you go down with your best player at the plate.

shingo10
06-13-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm somehow more upset that the Royals came back and won than the Sox lost...anyway.

I have no problem with having Gordon bunt because if Furcal doesn't make that awesome play to knock down the Tank's hit then ADA scores. You can't ask for much more than your best hitter up with a chance to tie in the 9th.

Peavy was awesome it's a shame he's lost two 1-0 games this year. He deserves better. Now try to win the series with Gavin...oh boy.

doublem23
06-13-2012, 11:31 PM
The Sox have absolutely murdered Jake Westbrook, though.

Think happy thoughts. Still 1 1/2 games up on the Toons. :cool:

ChiSoxGal85
06-13-2012, 11:35 PM
ChiTribSports ‏@ChiTribSports (https://twitter.com/#%21/ChiTribSports) Jake Peavy on pitching with a stomach virus in the 1-0 #WhiteSox (https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23WhiteSox) loss. Video by @MDGonzales (https://twitter.com/#%21/MDGonzales). http://trib.in/OEOdR3 (http://t.co/Mj2N0wFt)

Peavy...:superman:

TaylorStSox
06-14-2012, 12:06 AM
You don't risk an out with the tying run at 3rd and less than 2 outs. Baseball 101 right there.

I can't believe there's even an argument. You have the best hitter in the AL with a guy at third and 1 out. You put the game in his hands. If he can't do it, tip your cap. That's baseball.

CoopaLoop
06-14-2012, 12:10 AM
It's going to be a great day when NL baseball dies.

TaylorStSox
06-14-2012, 12:14 AM
Also, the best "fundamental" play in that situation is a squeeze. You're not going to do that with Paul Konerko though, despite his propensity to hit into DP's.

If Danks would have been caught stealing in that situation, I would have been livid.

ChicagoG19
06-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Uh, you do know who's pitching tomorrow, don't you? That's why this game would have been really big to pull out a victory.

Do you know who is pitching for Cards tomorrow night?

JB98
06-14-2012, 12:39 AM
Also, the best "fundamental" play in that situation is a squeeze. You're not going to do that with Paul Konerko though, despite his propensity to hit into DP's.

If Danks would have been caught stealing in that situation, I would have been livid.

I wouldn't have run him until the 3-1 pitch. I was confident Motte would not get a swing-and-miss from Paulie in that count.

hawkjt
06-14-2012, 01:29 AM
No way you risk getting that second out at second base on a steal...Molina has a gun.

They had to play it straight,and count on PK to get a fly ball.
PK got fooled on that offspeed pitch... I was surprised he swung at it...if he takes it, then worse case is a fastball on 3-2 count. Hey,he aint perfect.

Really surprised that AJ did not make contact with Rios on 3rd and no outs. He is tough to strike out. Sometimes I just wish he would shock the world and lay down a bunt on a play like that...he has good bat control.

Or Alexei. Is he going to warm up soon. I keep waiting.

Great job by Jake, who evidently was ill....tough guy.
Hope that Gavin takes a page outta jakes book tomorrow.

HeGone49
06-14-2012, 02:10 AM
New house, no TV, so I've missed a few games, today looked like a tough loss, like the kind I'd get frustrated over when the offense does nothing. Sounds like the offense failed in the 9th? :?:

Though 1 run only out of Peavy makes me happy!

kufram
06-14-2012, 06:47 AM
I think it's a little harsh to call anything a failure in a game like last night's. The only run was scored on a solo home run. The pitching was first class on both sides. Good pitching beats good hitting.

Paulie "failed" to get the fly ball.... I suppose.... but if the best hitter in the league (so far this year) can't do it maybe it was the pitching that succeeded rather than the hitting that failed.

asindc
06-14-2012, 07:50 AM

Hat tippage.

Ya know, sometimes the other team just plays better than the Sox.

It's all Mantoball now. Give it a rest.

Thank you.

Jollyroger2
06-14-2012, 07:53 AM
New house, no TV, so I've missed a few games, today looked like a tough loss, like the kind I'd get frustrated over when the offense does nothing. Sounds like the offense failed in the 9th? :?:

Though 1 run only out of Peavy makes me happy!

What really blows is that on a team where 3 of the 5 starters have ERA well into 5...that they can't get a win when one of the good starters throws a good game and holds the enemy to one run.

StL has scored two runs in this series and it's 1 and 1. Grrrrrr.

TomBradley72
06-14-2012, 08:15 AM

I don't have any issue with the move- Viciedo's infield single was a few inches away from the move paying off and tieing the game.

Beckham bunt + single was a more likely scenario than an extra base hit or 2 singles IMHO.

doublem23
06-14-2012, 08:37 AM

Flip side to that is that we've only averaged 3 RPG this series and have won 1.

kufram
06-14-2012, 09:13 AM
What really blows is that on a team where 3 of the 5 starters have ERA well into 5...that they can't get a win when one of the good starters throws a good game and holds the enemy to one run.

You really need to factor in the quality of the pitcher Peavy was up against. Even Peavy himself admitted that he got "out-pitched... that's baseball." We got a couple of wins when the offense exploded and the pitching didn't really have it.

TomBradley72
06-14-2012, 09:59 AM
On the plus side- this was just GREAT, high quality baseball- great pitching and defense- with some big plays by the Cards (striking out the side after a lead off triple (AJs AB where they were conceding the run was the turning point), diving stop by Furcal to keep the run from scoring).

I don't see the White Sox even being "in" a game like this in the past few years- they are playing high quality, fundamental baseball- a well played game against a pitcher on the top of his game and a very good fundamental club with great "web gems" on both sides-

Risk
06-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Disappointed with the outcome, even though it was a well played game. Put me in the camp of being ok with not sending Danks. I wouldn't want to take the bat out of Konerko's hands.

Risk

Paulwny
06-14-2012, 10:49 AM
By not sending Danks the 1st baseman held him on creating a larger hole on the right side of the infield in case PK swung at an outside pitch.

TDog
06-14-2012, 12:32 PM

I wouldn't have sacrificed down 1-0 in the ninth inning on the road. If the score is tied, I could see it. If the starter were still in the game, I might be more willing to consider it. It should have worked, though. I don't think I would even do it at home. That's what the Astros did in Game 4 of the 2005 World Series, and I thought giving up one of the last three outs of your season.

Still, it should have worked. You had your best hitter, pretty much the league's best hitter, up with a runner on third and one out. And he was ahead in the count.

This was Peavy's second 1-0 loss, not just his second overall loss. Ferguson Jenkins, I believe, holds the record with five such losses in a season, but maybe that's just among 20-game winners. Really, it should have been a win. Pierzynski has to get home the runner from third with nobody out down by a run. He matched up better against the pitcher than Ramirez, who went down much more easily.

I wouldn't complain about any decisions Ventura made. The Sox had hitters up in position to win the game. There were two opportunities for the Sox to score without getting a hit.

I agreed with not pinch-hitting for Peavy after the intentional walk. It was too early to go to the bullpen. But if the Sox had scored Rios after his triple, the Cardinals might have pinch hit for Lynn, going to their bullpen an inning earlier.

The first two nights of this series, the White Sox faced strong starting pitching that pretty much shut them down. They won Tuesday with the help of a two-out two-run Hudson triple that led to the starter coming out of the game early. Wednesday night, they missed the opportunity to scratch across that first run to make it a totally different game.