PDA

View Full Version : Nardi Speaks

Jerry_Manuel
07-25-2002, 08:32 AM
Contreras: I can look in the mirror (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/main_story.asp?intid=3746240)

Pitching has been a sore spot with the Sox this season, but so has hitting and baserunning. That's why it's curious that only Contreras was fired. Hitting coach Gary Ward and first-base coach Gary Pettis - who also handles baserunning - survived the cut.

"I don't want to go there,'' said Contreras, who watched the White Sox' 8-1 loss to the Twins Wednesday on TV. "I've still got a lot of friendships there. I don't want to say I'm gone because I'm (manager) Jerry Manuel's guy and somebody else is still there because they're somebody else's guy.

It's too bad they expected to win a championship with three kids, really four kids, in the rotation,'' Contreras said. "I don't know if that's realistic. But Danny Wright and Jonny Garland are getting better and they're going to be big winners. Gary Glover is about ready to take off. They might do it next year.''

The White Sox might have made a playoff run this season if they didn't trade three pitchers (Kip Wells, Josh Fogg and Sean Lowe) to the Pirates in exchange for disappointing starter Todd Ritchie.

Contreras didn't want to pile on Ritchie, simply saying: "It's mechanical. No matter how hard you throw, if you throw the ball over the plate you're going to get hit.''

But Contreras had a lot to say about Wells (10-7, 3.39 ERA), who has blossomed into the Pirates' ace starter.

There has been plenty of talk about how Wells put it together once he got away from the White Sox.

Contreras isn't buying it.

In 2000, when Ron Schueler was the general manager, Contreras said he was given strict orders.

"I was not allowed to touch Wells or (Jon) Garland mechanically,'' Contreras said.

Prior to last season, Williams permitted Contreras to work with Wells, Garland and Biddle in the Instructional League.

"We did some things with Kip and got his delivery straightened out,'' Contreras said. "Watch him now. It's the exact delivery he's using in Pittsburgh.''

When it came time to take blame, Contreras did.

WinningUgly!
07-25-2002, 08:39 AM
He's already heard from one major-league team and expects to be back in baseball at some point.

Let's hope the team is Minnesota. That would be the only chance the Sox would have at getting back in the race. :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
07-25-2002, 08:43 AM
Do you get the impression most of our troubles on the field can be traced back to one extraordinarily incompetent person?

:KW
"Ahem..."

duke of dorwood
07-25-2002, 09:28 AM
Its now obvious why Kip and Jon survived the epidemic of sore arms.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-25-2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Do you get the impression most of our troubles on the field can be traced back to one extraordinarily incompetent person?

"Ahem..."

"I'm not the only one to blame here."

:jerry

"I'm the dolt that can't put the same lineup out there two days in a row and don't know which reliever to use & when."

:nardi

"I'm just stuck on stupid."

:reinsy

"I'm totally clueless."

SI1020
07-25-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

"Ahem..." Yes most definitely.

RKMeibalane
07-25-2002, 11:18 AM

"None of this is my fault. I'm not really the General Manger of the Chicago White Sox. I'm just a puppet. Ron Scheuler is still running the organization. He and Jerry Reinsdorf agreed that it would be best if I took the blame for any problems that arose in this organization. Scheuler wanted to accquire Royce Clayton, Jerry Manuel's illegitimate son."