PDA

View Full Version : Why is Thome on the Phillies?

Huisj
06-13-2012, 01:13 PM
It seemed like a confusing deal at the time for them to sign him pretty much knowing he wouldn't be able to play much in the field.
Going into this past week, he was putting up a whopping .100/.217/.100 triple-slash line with a month on the DL somewhere in there.

This week, playing 4 games in AL stadiums, he's gone 8-17 with 2 doubles, a homer, and 6 RBI as a DH. Why did he not sign with an AL team?

WhiteSox5187
06-13-2012, 01:23 PM
I suspect that he wasn't getting a lot of offers and from what offers he was getting the Phillies seemed like the team with the best chance for him to get a World Series ring at the time. He also has a pretty good a relationship with Charlie Manuel, so I suspect that was why he signed with them.

russ99
06-13-2012, 01:28 PM
It seemed like a confusing deal at the time for them to sign him pretty much knowing he wouldn't be able to play much in the field.
Going into this past week, he was putting up a whopping .100/.217/.100 triple-slash line with a month on the DL somewhere in there.

This week, playing 4 games in AL stadiums, he's gone 8-17 with 2 doubles, a homer, and 6 RBI as a DH. Why did he not sign with an AL team?

Seems fairly obvious. He's played there before, Howard's injury opened up at least a part time spot at first base, and the 3-4 World Series games in AL parks that the Phillies hope to be playing in.

Southsider101
06-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Jim Thome has a long relationship with Charlie Manuel which goes back to his days with the Indians where Manuel was the hitting coach and later manager. Despite his success as a DH, it was a no-brainer that he would sign with Philly as long as Manuel was still manager.

RKMeibalane
06-13-2012, 01:53 PM
All of the above. Everyone in baseball knows that Thome's finished, but the Phillies felt obligated to give him one more opportunity to win a World Series. Unless things change drastically- and by that, I mean Howard and Utley are back ahead of schedule- the Phillies will be watching the postseason instead of playing in it.

Their entire roster has been decimated by injuries to key players. Howard, Utley, Halliday, and Lee have all missed significant time. Hunter Pence, Jimmy Rollins, Shane Victorino, and John Mayberry have underperformed. Dominic Brown was supposed to be the next Phillies power-hitter, but he's struggling at Triple-A.

Only Carols Ruiz has been consistent offensively: he's having his best season, and deserves to start for the National League in the AS Game.

Chez
06-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Happy to see Jim's resurgence over the last two weeks. The man can still hit. I'm assuming we will see Thome back with the Sox in some capacity after he retires. I'm predicting he'll replace Harold as first base coach.

Noneck
06-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Suddenly and miraculously he can play 1st base. Played 3 days in a row. Looks like he saved this in his back pocket to extend his career.

SCCWS
06-13-2012, 03:48 PM
I believe Phils have a few interleague road games coming up and the thought was he could DH

Hitmen77
06-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Jim Thome sets a new MLB record by hitting his 13th career game-ending HR.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120624&content_id=33842286&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Big Jim also ties Shammy Sosa on the all time list with this HR.

salty99
06-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Awesome! And he's talking about coming back in 2013.

ChiSoxFann
06-25-2012, 12:52 PM
If the Phils fall out of it I really hope they trade him to a contender needing a power bat off the bench. Like most, I have nothing but respect for Thome and really hope he can get that WS ring as a player.

dwitt76
06-25-2012, 01:52 PM
I love Big Jim. I glad he is still somewhat producing.

WSox597
06-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Jim Thome sets a new MLB record by hitting his 13th career game-ending HR.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120624&content_id=33842286&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

And he did it without cork or "secret sauce". I've always thought highly of Jim Thome, even when he played for the Indians and was killing the Sox.

Good guy, and I hope he gets a ring before he pulls the pin.

BigHurt3515
06-28-2012, 06:53 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/06/phillies-shopping-thome-to-dh-needy-al-teams.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

Looks like Thome wants to come back. Not sure if those are his own words or not though. I wish we could bring him back but we dont have the need.

soxfanreggie
06-29-2012, 12:30 AM

Anything that knocks Shammy down the HR list is a good thing, but it's especially nice when it's a class act like Thome.

mzh
06-29-2012, 01:18 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/06/phillies-shopping-thome-to-dh-needy-al-teams.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

Looks like Thome wants to come back. Not sure if those are his own words or not though. I wish we could bring him back but we dont have the need.
If the Sox are still in first place come Late August/September (:praying::praying::praying:) I wonder if there's a chance they bring him back in time for the 40 man roster expansion. It does seem more likely, though, that he'll land in a place where he'd actually be on the playoff roster.