PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod Ties Gehrig's All-Time Grand Slam Record

Hitmen77
06-13-2012, 10:03 AM
I didn't realize he was closing in on Gehrig's record:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120612&content_id=33193806&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Our own Robin Ventura is tied for 5th all-time with 18 grand slams:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_slam_%28baseball%29#Career_grand_slam_leader s

voodoochile
06-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Wow this is kind of cool I remember baseball cards when I was a kid had the all time leaders for various stats including grand slams. It's one of those numbers stuck in my head from an early age.

Congratulations, Alex. heck of an accomplishment.

Madvora
06-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Our own Robin Ventura is tied for 5th all-time with 18 grand slams:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_slam_%28baseball%29#Career_grand_slam_leader s
How cool is it to have hit more grand slams than Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron?

TDog
06-18-2012, 12:56 PM

Or Robin Ventura.

Ventura has more grand slams than Babe Ruth (who is tied with Carlos Lee, or rather, with whom Carlos Lee is tied). I was always hoping Vetura would catch Lou Gehrig with that number 23 that stuck in my head when I was a kid. Gehrig never hit home runs in consecutive innings, something Ventura did in a game against the Rangers in 1995. But that feat has lost some of its luster since Fernando Tatis got eight RBIs in two at bats against Chan Ho Park in the third inning of a game in Dodger Stadium four years later.

SephClone89
06-18-2012, 04:08 PM

Or Robin Ventura.[

Pretty sure Madvora WAS talking about Ventura, in response to Hitmen. And Robin Ventura does NOT have more grand slams that Robin Ventura.

gobears1987
06-18-2012, 10:42 PM
He did it on roids so he should be treated the same way Bonds is when it comes to so-called "records."

SephClone89
06-18-2012, 10:45 PM
He did it on roids so he should be treated the same way Bonds is when it comes to so-called "records."

Controversial and uncommon opinion!

gobears1987
06-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Controversial and uncommon opinion!

How hell is it controversial?

It's a fact that both were juicers.

WhiteSox5187
06-18-2012, 11:54 PM

I agree but c'mon, it's not like this is one of baseball's most cherished records here.

gobears1987
06-19-2012, 12:11 AM
I agree but c'mon, it's not like this is one of baseball's most cherished records here.

The problem is he, like that like the Balco Bomber, he is going to pass Hank Aaron.

I am hoping Pujols is able to do it though. As far as we know, he did it clean.

As for this being an "uncommon opinion." Prove it. If you ask around, you will probably find a majority or at least a significant percentage of fans feel that way.

EDIT: In fact it is IS the majority opinion. It seems you're the one with the uncommon opinion based on this Marist poll.

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/steroid-scandal-fans-public-react/

The poll was conducted after ARod's admission to steroid usage.

Only 15% of those polled said the records set by steroid users should stand.

SephClone89
06-19-2012, 07:03 AM
How hell is it controversial?

It's a fact that both were juicers.

Teal was implied.

It's like saying "all child molestors ahould go to jail and not be allowed around young children." It's kind of an understanding that goes without saying.

TDog
06-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Pretty sure Madvora WAS talking about Ventura, in response to Hitmen. And Robin Ventura does NOT have more grand slams that Robin Ventura.

Actually, if you want to nitpick, Robin Ventura DID hit more grand slams than Robin Ventura, in a sense. He hit a grand slam that ended a 1999 NLCS game while with the Mets (off Octavio Dotel) that officially only counted as a bases-loaded single. It is sometimes referred to as the "grand slam single."

I'm pretty sure, though, that I was referring to how cool it would be to hit more home runs than Robin Ventura, which other players have done, and which Carlos Lee may eventually do.

DoItForDanPasqua
06-22-2012, 11:07 PM

Maybe not one of the most cherished to all, but it was a record that belonged to Lou Gehrig and a pretty cool one in my opinion. There were lots of ways that players cheated over the years but the juicing era bothers me the most because of the way it tainted the record books.