PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6-12 Arch Gladness; Adam Bombs Laclede's Landing; SOX 6 CARDS 1 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
06-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Nice start to the NL road trip!

vinny
06-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Toons lose, Sox win, back to 1 1/2 up.

#1swisher
06-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Nice, "Team" win!

guillensdisciple
06-12-2012, 11:02 PM
I love when we win and gain ground. Going on two weeks in first place. I like the sound of that considering there have only been 8 weeks in the year. Keep it up boys.

ChiSoxGal85
06-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Not a whole lot to complain about in that game. Keep rolling, boys!

thomas35forever
06-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Good pitching, timely hitting. That's a recipe for winning. Keep it going, boys!

Crooked Number
06-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Quintana - continues to impress. Agree with Melty on 670 this morning, you just have to go with 'em and ride them out at this point. Keep him in until he prooves otherwise (Humber to pen, Stewart released).

Fans get to see Dunn and Beltran, both comeback players of the year in their respected leagues thus far playing this series. Dunn prooved why for the 21st time with a bomb in the 8th.

Pen was solid, ADA and AJ with great games, Paulie heating up again. Great pitching matchup tomorrow, going to be a good one.

Great thread title!

Frater Perdurabo
06-12-2012, 11:11 PM
So, has Quintana finally earned a spot in the rotation?

Until he craps the bed, I don't see how we deny him the ball every fifth game.

When Danks returns, Stewart goes to Charlotte and Humber goes to long relief.

PushinWeight
06-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Good win. Now get back to winning series again tomorrow Sox.

WhiteSox5187
06-12-2012, 11:22 PM
So, has Quintana finally earned a spot in the rotation?

Until he craps the bed, I don't see how we deny him the ball every fifth game.

When Danks returns, Stewart goes to Charlotte and Humber goes to long relief.

Quintana didn't have his best stuff tonight obviously but he battled and was able to be effective enough to get a win.

DumpJerry
06-12-2012, 11:23 PM
If the CIA "vanishes" Ohman, there's the opening in the 'Pen for Humber....

thomas35forever
06-12-2012, 11:27 PM
Good win. Now get back to winning series again tomorrow Sox.

Go for the sweep so I can see a win away from Comiskey.

PalehosePlanet
06-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Quintana - continues to impress. Agree with Melty on 670 this morning, you just have to go with 'em and ride them out at this point. Keep him in until he prooves otherwise (Humber to pen, Stewart released).

Fans get to see Dunn and Beltran, both comeback players of the year in their respected leagues thus far playing this series. Dunn prooved why for the 21st time with a bomb in the 8th.

Pen was solid, ADA and AJ with great games, Paulie heating up again. Great pitching matchup tomorrow, going to be a good one.

Great thread title!

I guess you don't remember that Beltran OPS'd .910 last year. Last year was his big comeback which earned him a nice payday once again.

This was a nice win especially when we are playing cold-ish ball. Really nice to break the game open late and not have to sweat out the bottom of the 8th and the 9th.

Quintana is a lefty with decent stuff that no team has seen before, we have to ride this out at least until the second time around the league.

Let's win the series boys!

Foulke You
06-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Quintana gives up a lot of hits in his outings but a concact pitcher will tend to do that. He battles out there and gives his team a chance to win. Seems like a solid #5 type pitcher to me right now.

Glad to see the offense put the Cards away late to offer no hope for a comeback. These are the type of games in 2011 we would have let slip away late by not adding on to the lead and just praying our pitching would hold out.

Has anyone noticed this has been the complete opposite of our last division title season? We couldn't buy a win on the road that year but dominated at home. This year we dominate on the road and are mediocre at home.

Lip Man 1
06-12-2012, 11:37 PM
No way Q is sent down or moved to the pen now. Impossible...like others have said, you ride him out.

I say move Humber to the pen...Stewart goes back to Charlotte unless Ohman is released then you keep him around when the game is either already won big or lost big.

Just a nice win tonight.

Lip

delben91
06-12-2012, 11:41 PM

Great thread title!

I'll never understand this thought process. What's wrong with sending a guy to the minors to see if he can improve? Especially a young guy like Stewart? Why are the only options to be on the ML roster or released?

Seriously, why are those the only things considered?

Zakath
06-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Quintana gives up a lot of hits in his outings but a concact pitcher will tend to do that. He battles out there and gives his team a chance to win. Seems like a solid #5 type pitcher to me right now.

Pretty much fit the classic definition of scattering hits. 1 in the first, 2 in the second (DP ended the inning), 2 in the third (DP wiped out the first hit), 2 in the fourth, 0 in the fifth, and 3 in the sixth, when they finally scored.

6 outings, 6 runs allowed in 27 1/3 IP. Not overpowering, but gets the job done. He could be a #3 pitcher on a weak staff.

Foulke You
06-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Pretty much fit the classic definition of scattering hits. 1 in the first, 2 in the second (DP ended the inning), 2 in the third (DP wiped out the first hit), 2 in the fourth, 0 in the fifth, and 3 in the sixth, when they finally scored.

6 outings, 6 runs allowed in 27 1/3 IP. Not overpowering, but gets the job done. He could be a #3 pitcher on a weak staff.
Agreed. He also keeps the ball in the ballpark. Something that Humber and Floyd have really struggled with lately.

doublem23
06-12-2012, 11:56 PM
I'll never understand this thought process. What's wrong with sending a guy to the minors to see if he can improve? Especially a young guy like Stewart? Why are the only options to be on the ML roster or released?

Seriously, why are those the only things considered?

Because depending on how a guy's contract is structured, those sometimes are essentially the only options.

BigHurt3515
06-13-2012, 12:06 AM
It was an awesome night at the game tonight! I got there early and ended up getting Paul Konerko, Dayan Viciedo, Jordan Danks, Jesse Crain, and Addison Reed's autographs then got to watch the Sox win!! Nothing to complain about. Quintana pitched like he should have. Not letting up runs and a lot of hits but got the double plays. And after AJ's home run a bunch of Cardinals fans got up and left. Another plus is I get to rub it in my girlfriend's face for the next 20 hours

SoxSpeed22
06-13-2012, 12:14 AM
Well done all around. Jose ran into some trouble the third time around, but that's what happens with a good lineup like the Cards. Our bullpen got it done, while theirs could not. Our defense and baserunning were all solid. Should be a nice matchup tomorrow.

johnnyg83
06-13-2012, 12:28 AM
Well done all around. Jose ran into some trouble the third time around, but that's what happens with a good lineup like the Cards. Our bullpen got it done, while theirs could not. Our defense and baserunning were all solid. Should be a nice matchup tomorrow.

Yes. Good lineup and tough place to pitch and win. Stewart should go to AAA, Humber to pen, Quintana as #5 starter.

PK, AJ, ADA are just blowing me away this year. Quintana too ...

Noneck
06-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Stewart should go to AAA, Humber to pen, Quintana as #5 starter.

I still have some faith in Humber but this is the way to go for now.

JB98
06-13-2012, 01:32 AM
Greetings from St. Louis! OK, technically I'm in Fairview Heights, Ill.

It was a battle out there for Quintana tonight. In trouble every inning, but a couple of DPs really helped. The bullpen was excellent. Once we got Wainwright out of there we were able to put the game away.

Good pitching matchup tomorrow with Peavy going against Lynn. Nice to start the series and road trip out on a winning note. It's a challenging road trip, so 3-3 would be satisfactory. Anything more than that would be gravy.

RCWHITESOX
06-13-2012, 01:46 AM
Great way to start the road trip! Sox win and both the Indians and Tigers lose.

balke
06-13-2012, 01:58 AM
That Dunn HR at-bat was awesome. I just kept thinking - he's going to throw a ball now right? It was straight BP for Dunn and he crushed it.

ChiSoxGirl
06-13-2012, 02:00 AM
Hello from suburban St. Louis! What an awesome game to attend!!! We had great (comped) seats in the Loge Club, courtesy of my friend who works for the Cardinals, he led us in the direction of $5 parking just a few blocks from Busch Stadium, gave us excellent directions to help us get around St. Louis and its vicinity, and let me take a picture wearing his World Series ring. :cool:

As for the game itself, Quintana was playing with fire all night, but fortunately, he only allowed one run and the bullpen shut the door the rest of the way. It was a great start to what's sure to be a tough road trip. Let's keep it rolling tomorrow with Peavy!

As an aside, Busch Stadium is absolutely beautiful; they definitely got it right when they built that ballpark! I'll post some pictures once we get back.

hawkjt
06-13-2012, 02:20 AM
Great win. Happy for all the Sox fans in St Louis...nothing like winning on the road and being there to see it!

Kudos to O-Dog...five rbis in two at bats including the three run homer in the 9th vs Houston and then the 2 run triple vs the Cards...huge!!

Jose gave up a lot of hits,but bear in mind that the Cards lead the NL in virtually every offensive stat. They hit the ball early and often...so Jose did well to get out with only on run given up.

Jake has to be tough tomorrow,vs Lynn who leads the NL in wins. Take this game and the Sox will not have the series depending on Gavin on Thursday.

AJ is rocking it this year....well done.

TDog
06-13-2012, 03:06 AM
The most interesting stat of Tuesday's game is the Cardinals hitting .416 against Quintana. What made Quintana a winning pitcher tonight was that he constantly pitched out of trouble. When the Cardinals looked like they were about to reel him in, the bullpen came in, got out of the sixth with another doubleplay and allowed only one Cardinals baserunner for the next three innings.

The Hudson triple, with two outs and Quintana on deck, was huge -- a huge clutch hit for Hudson and a huge mistake for Wainwright. Wainwright's defense certainly let him down that inning, but with two outs, two on and an AL starting pitcher on deck in the top of the second in a scoreless game, you don't give Hudson anything he can drive deep to the outfield. In every other way, Wainwright clearly outpitched Quintana.

The triple gave the White Sox enough offense for the lead when Wainwright's spot came up in the seventh inning. Wainwright came out for a pinch-hitter and the White Sox ran up the score on the Cardinals bullpen.

It was a game that looked easy in box score. No save, of course because the margin was too big. But Jones facing one hitter and getting the doubleplay with the tying run on second saved the game, in contrast to the close game against the Astros he let get away from the Sox Sunday.

It wasn't a quality start for Quintana, except where it counts.

BigHurt3515
06-13-2012, 03:09 AM
Hello from suburban St. Louis! What an awesome game to attend!!! We had great (comped) seats in the Loge Club, courtesy of my friend who works for the Cardinals, he led us in the direction of $5 parking just a few blocks from Busch Stadium, gave us excellent directions to help us get around St. Louis and its vicinity, and let me take a picture wearing his World Series ring. :cool:

As for the game itself, Quintana was playing with fire all night, but fortunately, he only allowed one run and the bullpen shut the door the rest of the way. It was a great start to what's sure to be a tough road trip. Let's keep it rolling tomorrow with Peavy!

As an aside, Busch Stadium is absolutely beautiful; they definitely got it right when they built that ballpark! I'll post some pictures once we get back.

Could you give me some insight to where that is at?

TomBradley72
06-13-2012, 08:03 AM
A few other random observations-

Dunn makes me very nervous out in LF- especially with a LH starter facing alot of RH hitters- but he pulled it off- 1 down- and 4 to go in NL parks- and on track for 56 homers this year. :?:
The Sox seem like two different teams- on the road- good pitching (18-9, 2.88 ERA- #1 in AL), low scoring, tight defense- at home- softball team w/pitching that is gasoline on the fire (16-18, 4.85 ERA, 13th in AL)
Quintana's 10 hit/1 run game reminds me of Stan Bahnsen throwing a 10 hit shut out in the early 70's- but I can't figure out a way to come up with a "Stanley Struggle" nickname for him :cool:
Jones' getting them out of the 6th was huge- great to see three innings of lockdown bullpen work.

The Immigrant
06-13-2012, 08:37 AM
The Sox seem like two different teams- on the road- good pitching (18-9, 2.88 ERA- #1 in AL), low scoring, tight defense- at home- softball team w/pitching that is gasoline on the fire (16-18, 4.85 ERA, 13th in AL)

That's the story of the season so far.

delben91
06-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Because depending on how a guy's contract is structured, those sometimes are essentially the only options.

I thought Zach Stewart had an option year left. My mistake.

October26
06-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Love the thread title, especially Arch Gladness! :lol:

Great win last night. I was watching the game and hoped to see WSI friends on TV but I didn't see anyone I recognized. It looked like there were quite a few Sox fans at last night's game. I'm happy for all who got to see the Sox win, especially those Sox fans who live in the St. Louis/Southern Illinois area. :D:

Keep on winning, White Sox! :bandance:

Chez
06-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Quintana was far from dominant, but he battled and benefited from some big DP's. Though I'm not convinced he's a long term rotation solution, I agree with those who say to keep him there until teams start figuring him out. Humber to the bullpen when Danks returns and Stewart is the odd man out. If used properly (and sparingly), Ohman is a better bullpen choice than Stewart.

For those of you who were there, did the Cardinals fans live up to their reputation of being friendly and welcoming?

Anyone else feel dirty rooting for the Cubs against Detroit?

asindc
06-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Quintana was far from dominant, but he battled and benefited from some big DP's. Though I'm not convinced he's a long term rotation solution, I agree with those who say to keep him there until teams start figuring him out. Humber to the bullpen when Danks returns and Stewart is the odd man out. If used properly (and sparingly), Ohman is a better bullpen choice than Stewart.

For those of you who were there, did the Cardinals fans live up to their reputation of being friendly and welcoming?

No. It is only temporary, just like last week with the Cubs/Twinkees.

aryzner
06-13-2012, 10:40 AM

No. I don't care who is playing our division rivals during the regular season. I always hope they lose so that the Sox can benefit.

Hitmen77
06-13-2012, 10:55 AM
25 runs by the Sox offense in the last 3 games.

soxinem1
06-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Quintana didn't have his best stuff tonight obviously but he battled and was able to be effective enough to get a win.

That is the key. STL is a solid offensive team, and while they are not familiar with him, Quintana did not have great stuff but located well and spotted his pitches right where AJ called them.

Granted he's only been in a few games, however Quintana's work in jams has been pretty impressive. His start against CLE and now the Cardinals he worked his way in and out of trouble in both games instead of throwing meatballs down the middle like Humber and Floyd have been doing.

Maybe Floyd and Humber should have watched him 'pitch' and learn something.

kevingrt
06-13-2012, 11:26 AM
25 runs by the Sox offense in the last 3 games.

Sox pitchers don't walk guys and the offense stays hot this team will do plenty fine against two decent NL teams on the road this week.

shingo10
06-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Sox pitchers don't walk guys and the offense stays hot this team will do plenty fine against two decent NL teams on the road this week.

Jose not walking anyone last night was HUGE. If you walk guys and give up 10 hits in 5 innings then it's gonna be a long night but he battled. It was almost Buehrle-esque in how he pitched over all the jams he was in because of good control. Great stuff.

Lip Man 1
06-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Tom:

Actually it was 12 hits and a walk in the 2-0 win.

Lip

BigHurt3515
06-13-2012, 02:12 PM

There was a could 15ish Sox fans in section 593 last night and some of the Cards fans were giving us a little **** but it was just more joking, nothing serious..

There were tons of Sox fans there last night, it was good to see.

Quentin08
06-13-2012, 02:27 PM

Only after watching "Go Cubs Go". Geez, it looked like they had won the pennant.

doublem23
06-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Only after watching "Go Cubs Go". Geez, it looked like they had won the pennant.

When you've only won 20 games into mid-June you have to celebrate each one like it's special because it actually is.

kevingrt
06-13-2012, 03:11 PM
There was a could 15ish Sox fans in section 593 last night and some of the Cards fans were giving us a little **** but it was just more joking, nothing serious..

There were tons of Sox fans there last night, it was good to see.

Was in 589 last night and the crowd was fine. Nice buy the end of th game the only fans left in the section were Sox fans.

Think I'm in 595 tonight.

TomBradley72
06-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Tom:

Actually it was 12 hits and a walk in the 2-0 win.

Lip

Well played Lip!

For you younger fans- that's the update on Stan Bahnsen's 12 hit shutout in the early 70's (opponent was Cleveland?)

ChiSoxGirl
06-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Could you give me some insight to where that is at?

Exit 55/44 at 7th St. & turn right at the bottom of the ramp. Take 7th all the way past Busch Stadium and you'll see Mike Shannon's on your right. After you pass Shannon's, begin looking for Market St. and the Macy's building. You'll see a parking garage on the right with a huge green sign promoting $5 parking. Pass Market St. and there'll be a guy standing by the entrance to the garage (on your right). There'll also be a sign on the street where the attendant will be standing. You can park there for up to 12 hours.

I'd say the walk from the garage to Busch Stadium is equadistant to the walk from the green line to Comiskey Park; definitely worth it!

BigHurt3515
06-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Exit 55/44 at 7th St. & turn right at the bottom of the ramp. Take 7th all the way past Busch Stadium and you'll see Mike Shannon's on your right. After you pass Shannon's, begin looking for Market St. and the Macy's building. You'll see a parking garage on the right with a huge green sign promoting $5 parking. Pass Market St. and there'll be a guy standing by the entrance to the garage (on your right). There'll also be a sign on the street where the attendant will be standing. You can park there for up to 12 hours.

I'd say the walk from the garage to Busch Stadium is equadistant to the walk from the green line to Comiskey Park; definitely worth it!

Thank you! I will try my best to find it. lol.
Will you be at the game tonight

ChiSoxGirl
06-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Thank you! I will try my best to find it. lol.
Will you be at the game tonight

Unfortunately, we're on our way home already. I'm a teacher and am finished with school, but have to be back for a training session on the student information system we're getting for next year. That's from 8-11 tomorrow morning, so there's no way we could go to either of the next two games. :(:

Lip Man 1
06-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Tom:

Vs. Oakland at Comiskey Park in 1973.

Lip

SCCWS
06-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Unfortunately, we're on our way home already. I'm a teacher and am finished with school, but have to be back for a training session on the student information system we're getting for next year. That's from 8-11 tomorrow morning, so there's no way we could go to either of the next two games. :(:

So the student can play hooky but the teacher can't. That doesn't seem fair.

BigHurt3515
06-14-2012, 03:44 AM
Was in 589 last night and the crowd was fine. Nice buy the end of th game the only fans left in the section were Sox fans.

Think I'm in 595 tonight.

I ended up in 595 in the 2nd row tonight.

BigHurt3515
06-14-2012, 03:45 AM

Tough break. Good luck with that though
And I wanted to say thank you so much for telling me about the parking garage. I ended up finding it and that will save me 5 bucks every time I go to a game now.

ChiSoxGirl
06-14-2012, 10:59 PM
So the student can play hooky but the teacher can't. That doesn't seem fair.

What's even more unfair is that I have three years of experience using the student information system from when I was at my former school, so this morning's training session was nothing more than repetitive for me.

In hindsight, we didn't miss much by only going to the first game in the series. I just wish we would've been able to do the sightseeing stuff like go to the top of the arch and to the City Museum. Hopefully, with interleague play expanding next season, the Sox will go to St. Louis more frequently than once every 11 years!