PDA

View Full Version : Vladimir Guerrero Released by Blue Jays

RKMeibalane
06-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Vladimir Guerrero Released by Blue Jays (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8042600/vladimir-guerrero-released-toronto-blue-jays-continue-comeback-attempt)

It sounds like Toronto didn't have room for him, so he asked for and was granted his release. What's funny is that he was released immediately after a game in which he was 4-5 with a triple and two runs batted in: he's ready to hit at the Major League level. I was looking forward to seeing him wear a Blue Jays uniform, as it would remind me of his days playing for the Expos, but if he's likely to catch on somewhere else, it would be nice to see him have one last season in the sun. Guerrero's a future HOF'er, and would likely help help whomever picks him up.

soxinem1
06-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Maybe, but who?

If all he could get was a minor-league deal from a team that definitely didn't have a place for him, it looks as if his options are very thin, at best.

Same with Manny. Manny has hit like **** and OAK may not even try to make a place for him.

RKMeibalane
06-12-2012, 06:41 PM
If all he could get was a minor-league deal from a team that definitely didn't have a place for him, it looks as if his options are very thin, at best.

The difference with Guerrero (as compared to Manny) is that Vlad was hitting well in the minor leagues. It sounds like Toronto may not have been prepared for him to play as well as he did, and realized belatedly that they weren't going to have a spot for him on their roster. I find it hard to believe that someone wouldn't want him, though no team is jumping out at me.

If I thought he could play 1B (he's never played there), I'd suggest a team like the Phillies, who are still without Howard and Utley, and need offense. Vlad could do a ton of damage with that short porch in LF.

Chez
06-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Let me pre-emptively respond to all the posters who will advocate KW signing Vlad because "it couldn't hurt" or "low risk, high reward," or he's an "upgrade over Fukodome, Jordan Danks and Lillibridge" etc.

NO!

guillensdisciple
06-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Let me pre-emptively respond to all the posters who will advocate KW signing Vlad because "it couldn't hurt" or "low risk, high reward," or he's an "upgrade over Fukodome, Jordan Danks and Lillibridge" etc.

NO!

But look at how well manny Ramirez worked for us.

RKMeibalane
06-13-2012, 12:26 PM

NO!

There's nowhere to play him, anyway. Someone like Guerrero's not effective unless he's in the lineup every day. I've no doubt that he can still hit (he managed .290 with Baltimore last season), but he's no longer able to play the field on a daily basis, and the Sox are set at 1B and DH for the foreseeable future.

34rancher
06-13-2012, 06:27 PM

NO!

But Kenny always gets his man.