PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Fire Rudy...

Lip Man 1
06-12-2012, 02:44 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-cubs-fire-jaramillo-20120612,0,2670982.story

Lip

SephClone89
06-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Hey, Lip...

What's the score?

FielderJones
06-12-2012, 02:49 PM
He was the savior that the Sox could have had to put an end to Walkerball ...

jdm2662
06-12-2012, 02:54 PM
I seem to remember most of this board begging the Sox to hire him.

SoxSpeed22
06-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Can't make Chicken salad out of Chicken ****.

Lip Man 1
06-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Seph:

It's not a rumor. It's fact...that's why I contained the story link. I assumed facts go in the Talking Baseball section no?

Lip

FielderJones
06-12-2012, 03:17 PM
I assumed facts go in the Talking Baseball section no?

This is a Lovable Loser Lament, regardless of rumor or fact.

thomas35forever
06-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Another "savior" out the door.

gobears1987
06-12-2012, 03:40 PM
In 3 years it will be Theo on his way out.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Well, somehow that's not a big shocker. It's Rudy's fault Castro can't remember the # of outs in an inning, after all.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Cubs management heard about Dump's bet on Dunn HR vs. Cubs wins being tied 60 games into the season, and that was the last straw.

Risk
06-12-2012, 03:55 PM
I seem to remember when Jarimillo was first hired that one of the mediots (I can't remember which one) said that he was the Cute and Cuddlies best off season free agent acquisition.

Oh how the mighty have fallen (not to say that he isn't a good hitting coach, just how some people have really unrealistic expectations as to what someone is capable of doing).

Risk

slavko
06-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Isn't Sveum a hitting coach? Might there have been some behind-the-scenes conflicts there? I sure remember when Rudy was going to put them in the World Series. Hey, it's not that long ago!

The move does deflect some heat from Sveum and Theo. Gives us a clue as to How Things Work Now.

TDog
06-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Hitting coaches are generally scapegoats. Sometimes pitching coaches are the scapegoats. Sometimes, a manager fires his hitting coach because the heat is on him, but Jaramillo was brought in under a different manager.

In this case, fit's halfway to firing the manager. Firing the hitting coach, which really solves nothing, is telling fans the Cubs are doing something.

Frater Perdurabo
06-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Jaramillo is a great hitting coach - just look at how well LaHair is hitting (and more recently Soriano) - but otherwise the team has some lousy hitters.

DumpJerry
06-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Cubs management heard about Dump's bet on Dunn HR vs. Cubs wins being tied 60 games into the season, and that was the last straw.
Like I said, if I was in the lead in my bet by mid-June, someone is getting fired up north. I guess they figured with the Tigers coming to town and Dunn playing in his old stomping grounds (the NL), I'm in the lead by Friday which is mid-June.

Now, with the Powerball at $200,000,000+ for tomorrow, the winning numbers are.......

russ99
06-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Hitting coaches are generally scapegoats. Sometimes pitching coaches are the scapegoats. Sometimes, a manager fires his hitting coach because the heat is on him, but Jaramillo was brought in under a different manager.

In this case, fit's halfway to firing the manager. Firing the hitting coach, which really solves nothing, is telling fans the Cubs are doing something.

That's why this makes zero sense. The Cubs are a bad team. Changing the hitting coach won't change that much if at all.

So it comes down to placating the fans that are dumb enough to think that firing Jaramillo would change anything.

In which case, well played, Mr. Theo, well played...

DrCrawdad
06-12-2012, 07:19 PM
The signing of Jaramillo had to be the most hyped signing ever of a hitting coach.

Rudy Can Fail... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPVQKQgSWgM)

tstrike2000
06-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Rearranging of deck chairs.

soxfanreggie
06-12-2012, 11:05 PM

That was a good one, definitely got a chuckle out of it.

This is definitely a scapegoat move at this point and there will probably be others as they go along. Maybe once the Cubs can shed Soriano, they'll improve to where they want to. He and Zambrano were their horrible deals, and Zambrano is completely off the books after this season to the tune of about $18 million.

StillMissOzzie
06-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Another "savior" out the door.

That's what I was thinking, that Jaramillo was another version of This Year's Saviour (TYS), usually the ultimate kiss of death for the Lovable Losers. Another TYS come and gone. Will Theo be next in 3-4 years?

SMO
:gulp:

RKMeibalane
06-14-2012, 05:57 AM
It's going to be a great day when Wrigley is destroyed, and Cubs fans no longer have a playground for their antics. Maybe then they'll realize that their team just sucks, and that no hitting coach, field manager, or general manager is capable of undoing more than a century of futility.

Golden Sox
06-14-2012, 10:18 AM
The Bad Guys on the Northside have always been good at the blame game. They always blame something or another for their lack of success. The main reason why I hated The Pizza Man/Scab, Ron Santo was because of his constant crybaby act of blaming others for the Cubs lack of ever winning anything. Evidently they just fired their hitting coach and are now blaming him for the teams lack of offense. Believe me Ted Williams, Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb could come back from the dead and they wouldn't have any more success as a hitting coach than the guy they just fired. The team can't hit. They're not any good. It's that simple.

TheOldRoman
06-14-2012, 10:32 AM
The Bad Guys on the Northside have always been good at the blame game. They always blame something or another for their lack of success. The main reason why I hated The Pizza Man/Scab, Ron Santo was because of his constant crybaby act of blaming others for the Cubs lack of ever winning anything. Evidently they just fired their hitting coach and are now blaming him for the teams lack of offense. Believe me Ted Williams, Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb could back from the dead and they wouldn't have any more success as a hitting coach than the guy they just fired. The team can't hit. They're not any good. It's that simple.When it comes to imbecilic nicknames one lone poster pathetically tries to forcefeed us until it catches on, this rivals M-Jeff.

But, as when watching a traniwreck, I am curious. What is the basis for this dumb name you keep calling him?

SOXPHILE
06-14-2012, 10:38 AM
When it comes to imbecilic nicknames one lone poster pathetically tries to forcefeed us until it catches on, this rivals M-Jeff.

But, as when watching a traniwreck, I am curious. What is the basis for this dumb name you keep calling him?

Santo in his playing days either owned or had his name on a pizza brand, Ron Santo's Pizza. He also briefly owned Ron Santo's Roasters, a sports bar and grill in Schaumburg on Meacham, just south of Algonquin. Not to hijack the thread, but his point is right, Ron Santo was a stroke, and did play the blame game for a lot of stuff, just like the Cubs and their fans always seem to do.

Golden Sox
06-14-2012, 12:44 PM
I didn't start calling Santo, The Pizza Man. In 1969 the Cubs were ahead of the Mets by 8 games. The Scab said in one of his interviews that he thought that the Mets infield belonged in Tacoma. (Minor league team of the Cubs at that time) When the Cubs started losing and the Mets passed the Cubs in the standings, it was none other than Tom Seaver who called Santo " The Pizza Man". The nickname kind of stuck with him for a number of years until he left the game. I've always called him " The Scab" because when the players went out on strike at the beginning of the 1972 season, Santo crossed the picket line and became a Scab. For younger people out there reading this, the strike was over insurance for the players families. Back then in 1972 the players families didn't have insurance. The strike lasted a couple of weeks and the owners gave the players families insurance. Santo was one of the few players who crossed the picket line and became a Scab. I don't know how many players crossed the picket line back then but Santo was one of them. I also don't know if the players union fined him or not. I do know that Santo was voted into the HOF after he died. I'm sure his fellow players would of never voted him into the HOF if he was still living. They didn't forget how he stabbed them in the back when he went against the union and became a Scab. He got voted into the HOF the year after he died. He didn't live to see himself being voted into the HOF.

Lip Man 1
06-14-2012, 03:27 PM
A number of the Orioles crossed including Jim Palmer, Eddie Watt and Pete Richart if memory serves.

Santo justified his crossing by saying that he owed "loyalty" to Phil Wrigley the Cubs owner.

Most felt that he was simply looking out for himself.

Lip

DumpJerry
06-14-2012, 06:11 PM
It's going to be a great day when Wrigley is destroyed,

You do realize that will never happen? Hate to burst your bubble.....

RKMeibalane
06-14-2012, 06:34 PM

I can still dream, can't I? Imagine: Wrigley Field in flames, and Cubs fans everywhere crying because their shrine is gone. :cool:

MarySwiss
06-14-2012, 06:34 PM
The Bad Guys on the Northside have always been good at the blame game. They always blame something or another for their lack of success. The main reason why I hated The Pizza Man/Scab, Ron Santo was because of his constant crybaby act of blaming others for the Cubs lack of ever winning anything. Evidently they just fired their hitting coach and are now blaming him for the teams lack of offense. Believe me Ted Williams, Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb could come back from the dead and they wouldn't have any more success as a hitting coach than the guy they just fired. The team can't hit. They're not any good. It's that simple.

When it comes to imbecilic nicknames one lone poster pathetically tries to forcefeed us until it catches on, this rivals M-Jeff.

Santo had some affiliation with pizza. IIRC, the "Pro's Pizza" that was sold at Comiskey for a few years had something to do with him; either he owned it or he let them use his name. Anyhow, "Pizza Man" was a nickname in play for quite some time. I heard it years ago; GoldenSox didn't just make it up. :smile:

DSpivack
06-14-2012, 07:07 PM

I wouldn't say never.

DumpJerry
06-14-2012, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't say never.
Ok, an asteroid could crash into the joint the night before the Cubs play Game 7 of the NLCS.......oh darn.

DSpivack
06-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Ok, an asteroid could crash into the joint the night before the Cubs play Game 7 of the NLCS.......oh darn.

That or termites will just eat the place down. However it happens, the place is basically a living ruin as it is, it's not going to last as long as the Roman Coliseum or anything.