PDA

View Full Version : Another win for Parque


Tavarin
07-25-2002, 04:12 AM
Justin Baughman drove in four runs and Jim Parque pitched six strong innings to lead the Charlotte Knights to an 11-5 victory over the Columbus Clippers in the first game of a doubleheader. Baughman hit an RBI single in the bottom of the second inning, a two-run double in the third and added a sacrifice fly in the fourth. Parque (7-8) yielded just two runs and two hits, striking out six batters and walking one, to get the win. Lee Evans drove in a pair of runs and finished a homer short of the cycle and Scott Morgan had a solo homer for Charlotte, which has won six of its last eight games. Scott Seabol smacked a solo shot and Robert Perez hit a two-run blast for Columbus. Andy Beal (1-2) was rocked for eight runs and six hits in 2 1/3 innings to suffer the loss for the Clippers, who have dropped 10 of their 13 games on Wednesdays.

Wow, two straight wins for Parque and his ERA goes down below 7 for the first time since last year(its at 6.89 now)

Call him up now! He'll take over the 2nd starter job from Ritchie

Chisox_cali
07-25-2002, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Tavarin


Wow, two straight wins for Parque and his ERA goes down below 7 for the first time since last year(its at 6.89 now)

Call him up now! He'll take over the 2nd starter job from Ritchie

:KW
"What's that velocity at Jim? Huh?! Shut Up and go eat some more Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches and call me when you break 90 on that 'fastball' Ok?"

LongDistanceFan
07-25-2002, 06:01 AM
who are scott seabol, and jutin baughman?

duke of dorwood
07-25-2002, 09:01 AM
Good to see some success from the Knights. I'll say this for Butter, for all his inability as a pitcher, he will battle you. We have some gifted arms on this team that should have butter's desire. I would not mind seeing him up here now that we are out of it. The one walk is what impressed me.

34 Inch Stick
07-25-2002, 03:09 PM
Call me crazy (not all at once) but I think he is going to be a contributing member of the team next year. If we are giving Frank a break in his comeback (and I agree we should) Parque should also get it.

Jerry_Manuel
07-25-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Call me crazy (not all at once) but I think he is going to be a contributing member of the team next year. If we are giving Frank a break in his comeback (and I agree we should) Parque should also get it.

I don't even think he'll be on the team. Seemed like he rubbed Williams the wrong way.

See Lowe, Sean.

hold2dibber
07-25-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


I don't even think he'll be on the team. Seemed like he rubbed Williams the wrong way.

See Lowe, Sean.

I'm guessing KW trades him to the Pirates for Derek Bell or Andy Van Slyke, and Butter goes on to win 15 for the Pirates in '03.

Actually, I have one comment and one question. The comment is, I agree that there is reason to hope that Parque will be a contributing member of the team again next year. I don't want to see him brought up this year -- I'd rather he keep working hard in the minors, get his mojo back as well as a desire to prove everyone wrong, then come back in full swing next spring. The Sox only chance of returning to respectability in the short term, is if they can just get a couple of these young guys (Parque, Wright, Garland, Glover, Biddle, Rauch, Ginter) to turn the corner as solid, consistent starting pitchers.

My question is, I agree that Lowe got on KW's bad side, but I can't remember how/why -- can anyone remind me?

Randar68
07-25-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Actually, I have one comment and one question. The comment is, I agree that there is reason to hope that Parque will be a contributing member of the team again next year. I don't want to see him brought up this year -- I'd rather he keep working hard in the minors, get his mojo back as well as a desire to prove everyone wrong, then come back in full swing next spring.


In a related note, IMO, the people who are no longer with the team from the past 2 seasons are the reason why we have no Chemistry and no Heart:

In Particular:
Baldwin
Parque
Lowe

Jerry_Manuel
07-25-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'm guessing KW trades him to the Pirates for Derek Bell or Andy Van Slyke, and Butter goes on to win 15 for the Pirates in '03.

My question is, I agree that Lowe got on KW's bad side, but I can't remember how/why -- can anyone remind me?

Anyone remember earlier this year when Bell coined the phrase "Operation Shutdown"? That was funny.

I don't think it ever came out in the public. My guess would be that Lowe made some comments about Williams.

Jerry_Manuel
07-25-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
In a related note, IMO, the people who are no longer with the team from the past 2 seasons are the reason why we have no Chemistry and no Heart:

In Particular:
Baldwin
Parque
Lowe

The chemistry has also gone to hell because they've brought in guys who don't care. Guys like Lofton, Wells and Clayton. Veterans who know they won't be with the team for long, so they don't really give a crap.

You'll be able to add Durham to that list next year to.

Randar68
07-25-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


The chemistry has also gone to hell because they've brought in guys who don't care. Guys like Lofton, Wells and Clayton. Veterans who know they won't be with the team for long, so they don't really give a crap.

You'll be able to add Durham to that list next year to.

One of the biggest reasons I want to see Harris, LTP, and Crede here next year. Young guys with their future to fight for. Young players will almost always give 110% and play with heart and fire. It's painfully obvious why this isn't true for lazy/selfish veterans.

There is a reason why the Cubs always suck. Sign old and at the end-of-career vets to have that "presense" and leadership, and all they ever do is collect a paycheck and not give a damn.

guillen4life13
07-25-2002, 04:02 PM
trading jose valentin would not help the cause either. you know one person who-- even with Joe Crede waiting in the wings-- could just boost the team chemistry, and i wish we got him this past offseason... is senor Robin Ventura. we really could use that man's character on this team... especially if he were able to get back into offensive form (and get healthy). i would mind a few salamis going into the bullpen bar every once in a while, coming off the bat of the only man who deserves to wear the number 23 on a white sox jersey.

Chisox_cali
07-25-2002, 07:13 PM
From whitesox.com:


Parque rising: Left-hander Jim Parque allowed just two hits over six innings in the first game of a double-header for Triple-A Charlotte on Sunday. Parque walked one and struck out six after giving up four hits in seven scoreless innings in his previous start.

Whether or not Parque's velocity has returned from shoulder surgery, he may be positioning himself to earn another look this season or possibly be used as trade bait.

Parque has gone 5-1 in his last six starts and may be a better option now for the fifth starter's spot than Gary Glover, who has proven to be far more suited for the bullpen.

As a reliever, Glover has an 0.93 ERA in 19 1/3 innings . As a starter, even including his last outing when he gave up two runs in six innings on July 20, he is 3-5 with a 5.61 ERA.


Is it me or doesn anyone else think "Parque Rising" sounds like part of the butter churning process? :smile: