PDA

View Full Version : Peavy, Sale, and Pray for Hail

DoItForDanPasqua
06-10-2012, 09:06 AM
It's great when one of the two aces start, but the Sox need to score a lot of runs for Humber, Floyd and Danks. I'm hoping Danks's problems were from the arm soreness he had been experiencing and that it will be resolved when he returns, but otherwise the Sox are going to have to win the division with three starters who have ERAs over 5. I'm glad the offense has improved and they can win some of the games when these guys start, but it's concerning.

Mingo
06-10-2012, 09:32 AM
I loved the title. It took me back to Spahn and Sain and pray for rain.

I think Floyd, Danks and Humber will have ups and downs the rest of the season and each is due for an up right now.

Tragg
06-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Danks certainly has the ability to pitch at, say, the Peavy level. If he does that, we'll be tough to beat in this division and have a shot in any playoff series.
If we can't get a third pitcher up there, we still might win the division (or the WC), but it will be tough to win more than 1 or 2 playoff games in a series.
Danks is key.

Noneck
06-10-2012, 10:09 AM
The key of course is Danks but also someone else. I dont want Sale to be ridden this year, he is the key to the future of this club. Someone beside Danks and Peavy have to step up for this season to be successful.

#1swisher
06-10-2012, 10:39 AM
"We are not sitting and lamenting our inconsistency, we are trying actively to get it better."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120609&content_id=33033864&notebook_id=33034276&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

DumpJerry
06-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Mark Parent was just on The Score. He was asked about Floyd given how Floyd looks like a Cy Young candidate one inning and like me the next inning. Parent said (in not so many words) they're learning how to coach Floyd in terms of his instincts for hitters and what he can do with the knowledge based on his observations.

hawkjt
06-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Mark Parent was just on The Score. He was asked about Floyd given how Floyd looks like a Cy Young candidate one inning and like me the next inning. Parent said (in not so many words) they're learning how to coach Floyd in terms of his instincts for hitters and what he can do with the knowledge based on his observations.

Some interesting comments from Parent in that interview.

He said that at some point Gavin came to him and asked him about reading the batters swings,and how to pitch off of that info..and Parent gave him some thoughts on that topic...Parent indicated that maybe it was not good,as Gavin went poorly after that,and maybe was trying to think too much on the mound,instead of concentrating on mechanics.

Parent also took the blame for one homer on Friday nite,saying he called for a slide step when the runner was unlikely to go,and could have inpacted Gavin's pitch that was hit out of the park.

To me, Humber and Gavin are not that far away...their stuff is the same,it is about arm slot and mechanics on certain pitches.
Big outing for Humber today.

thomas35forever
06-10-2012, 01:20 PM
I think at least one of those three will come around and have a big second half a la Contreras in '05. Remember, he was so-so during the first part of that year and then suddenly couldn't lose. I think we'll be fine with pitching. The offense needs more consistency though. If that happens, we'll run away with this division.

getonbckthr
06-10-2012, 01:55 PM
I hope Humber moves to the pen and Quintana stays in the rotation.

balke
06-10-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm more worried about Stewart and Ohman at this point. Stewart really hasn't shown any promise to this point. Ohman is what he is - and not what the Sox need to win (Unless he is the only weak point in the pen).

I've seen Floyd be great. Danks will bounce back I think. I know Humber can provide more than he has. Quintana can be a surprise. Stewart and Ohman do the least in my opinion.

There do seem to be some options for the Sox bullpen wise though. So if they wanted to try that first instead of picking up a middle of the pack starter I'd probably be more comfortable with that. Still not fully sold on the idea of the Sox spending MORE money on this team.

oldgrouch
06-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Someone was saying Coop and Robin are having differences. Does anyone know
what is going on?:scratch::scratch:

shingo10
06-10-2012, 04:33 PM

I don't know where you heard that but if its true then my guess is Cooper is being his usual D-bag self and is probably pretty hard to work with. But hopefully these guys take care of their business the right way, without causing unnecessary drama to a first place team.

WhiteSox5187
06-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Well as bad as Floyd has been of late it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him go five or six starts of being absolutely dominant. Danks is a question mark on his return but I have lost pretty much all faith in Humber though.

hawkjt
06-11-2012, 01:08 AM

Who? Give a name,or it cannot be considered true.
I hate when rumors like this float around with no substance.

gobears1987
06-11-2012, 04:12 AM
Danks will come around.

Floyd and Humber are just bad pitchers. Quintana needs to stay in the rotation and the Sox need to pick up another pitcher in the trade market. Neither Floyd nor Humber have a place in this rotation.

slavko
06-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Who? Give a name,or it cannot be considered true.
I hate when rumors like this float around with no substance.

Then you shouldn't use the Internet. :cool: