PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 'That's How You Kick Astro!!' HOU vs White Sox 6/9 Post Game Thread

soxinem1
06-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Another great outing for Sale. And a smart move by Robin to pull him. While a chance at the shutout would have been nice, save some pitches for the hotter part of the season.

A solid day with the bats by virtually the entire lineup.

Now let's win the series tomorrow!!!:bandance::bandance:

BTW, there is no doubt Jordan Danks is John Danks brother. I don't remember them looking so much alike in ST but with the beards they almost look like twins.

Boondock Saint
06-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Chris Sale is dominant.

LITTLE NELL
06-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Lets win Sunday and have a winning homestand, c'mon Cards beat the Tribe tonight.

cheezheadsoxfan
06-09-2012, 06:57 PM
That was fun. Sale is getting amazing.:bliss:
For Zack Stewart that isn't that bad a performance actually. They're interviewing Jordon Danks now. He's "just glad to be here." LOL, right out of "Bull Durham"

JB98
06-09-2012, 06:58 PM
They always say you have to get good pitchers early. Well, Sale left a few sliders up the first inning, but Houston didn't do much with them. I thought Chris found his release point on his very last pitch of the first -- a swing-and-miss by Martinez. From that point forward, he was just overpowering. We haven't seen a White Sox pitcher throw this well since Contreras the second half of 2005.

SoxSpeed22
06-09-2012, 06:59 PM
That's better. Beckham is getting much better at the plate and Danks had some nice whacks at the ball.

Rikirk
06-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Great game...

Sale pitched like the Ace he is, and Dunns Slam was a perfect capper.

These guys made my day.:D:

Dibbs
06-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Looks like we could have an ace on our hands. That nonsense talk weeks ago about moving him to the pen was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

slavko
06-09-2012, 07:03 PM
That's better. Beckham is getting much better at the plate and Danks had some nice whacks at the ball.

Gordon does look like he's seeing the ball and able to react. Night and day to where he's been for 2 years. Dunn likewise. ADA is a player, love him at bat, in CF too.

Stress free....Ah.

Tragg
06-09-2012, 07:05 PM
It wasn't just talk. Someone out of Ventura, Cooper or Williams wanted to do it; and they did it for a week.

Why are we playing Sat afternoon games? don't want to go up against Fox Sat night games?

JB98
06-09-2012, 07:08 PM
It wasn't just talk. Someone out of Ventura, Cooper or Williams wanted to do it; and they did it for a week.

Why are we playing Sat afternoon games? don't want to go up against Fox Sat night games?

By contract, you can't. Well, you could, but the game would be blacked out even on local TV. That would suck.

Lip Man 1
06-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Tragg:

Yes. If the Sox played at night they couldn't televise.

-----------------------------------------

Sale looks magnificant and is turning into a prime time stopper at a very young age.

That's a lot of pressure to put on a kid though...this team needs somebody other than Sale and Peavy to pitch well.

Melton said on the postgame two weeks ago that you can't win anything with just two pitchers throwing well. He's right.

Win the damn series tomorrow.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
06-09-2012, 07:09 PM

Thats it and traditionally Saturday nights have been the best day of the week attendance wise.

hawkjt
06-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Clearly Fox writes big checks to get to play when they want to,and this year they switched to nite games. Seems like in the past the Sox were often one of their regional telecasts,but so far this year,not sexy enough,I guess.

Solid win. Almost feel like we wasted Sale on a day when the offense could have carried us,but it was a scoreless game into the 5th so, you take the wins anywhere you can get them.

Alejandro is fabulous...4 hits!
Top of the order came thru with 7 hits between 1 and 2...and a granny with 2 hits for 3...

I like that we have 8 guys that project for 60+ rbis....that is a Yankee type of lineup, run producers thru out...

Nice start for Jordan Danks...gonna be tempting to keep him around after Kosky returns...he has done more on offense in two games than Fukadome has all year,it seems.

Nice day off for the bullpen...tomorrow is a big game,and we have a full bullpen with monday off...Humber just needs to be good for 6 solid innnings.

SephClone89
06-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Clearly Fox writes big checks to get to play when they want to,and this year they switched to nite games. Seems like in the past the Sox were often one of their regional telecasts,but so far this year,not sexy enough,I guess.

It's only night games for the next month and a half or so, then back to the 3:05 time slot, I believe. They have done it in the past though, for example last year on the day of the Champions League final.

BigKlu59
06-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Hot Damn those are hot bats....Atleast today we put some ducks in the bag. Nice outing again by Chris "Cyrus" Sale. He's on, and good for the Sox. Now if the rest of the starters can go a solid 7 and keep the ERA around 2.50-3, they can start to put some ground between us and the crazy savages. Nice slam by Adam. Talk about icing on the cake. 5 Ribbies. Nice day at the office. Great game and lets keep this up... Nothing like watching them circle the bases and bringing 8 and 9 to the plate an inning..

BK59

LITTLE NELL
06-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Hot Damn those are hot bats....Atleast today we put some ducks in the bag. Nice outing again by Chris "Cyrus" Sale. He's on, and good for the Sox. Now if the rest of the starters can go a solid 7 and keep the ERA around 2.50-3, they can start to put some ground between us and the crazy savages. Nice slam by Adam. Talk about icing on the cake. 5 Ribbies. Nice day at the office. Great game and lets keep this up... Nothing like watching them circle the bases and bringing 8 and 9 to the plate an inning..

BK59

Big Klu, love reading your comments, its like reading The Sporting News from the late 50s.

ChiSoxGal85
06-09-2012, 07:47 PM
I was busy today and didn't get to see the game, except that I walked through the family room once and looked at the TV to see Adam up with bases loaded and a 2-0 count. I decided to watch for a second and was rewarded with Dunn's granny! :bandance:

Great game. Win tomorrow too!

BigKlu59
06-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Big Klu, love reading your comments, its like reading The Sporting News from the late 50s.

I guess I'm stuck in a bird cage liner time warp.. Must be from reading all of those sports related tomes as an impressionable "yute". Glad you enjoy the literary playing with words... I'd pass on a few sea stories, but I dont want to get banned :D:

BK59

FielderJones
06-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Fun game to be at, good weather, good White Sox pitching, and good White Sox hitting. My first win of the year.

Nothing says mop-up like Zach Stewart pitching in the 9th.

October26
06-09-2012, 08:25 PM
I was busy today and didn't get to see the game, except that I walked through the family room once and looked at the TV to see Adam up with bases loaded and a 2-0 count. I decided to watch for a second and was rewarded with Dunn's granny! :bandance:

Great game. Win tomorrow too!

:thumbsup: It sure was!

I was in the gamethread to start the game but then had to leave as I had a busy afternoon myself. I listened to the game on radio and then got home just in time to see Adam's blast. Chris Sale with another outstanding pitching performance today. :D:

Fun game to be at, good weather, good White Sox pitching, and good White Sox hitting. My first win of the year.

Nothing says mop-up like Zach Stewart pitching in the 9th.

I'm so happy for you, Fielder, and for all Sox fans who were in attendance at US Cellular Field today. This was a great win. :bliss:Sox need to take the series tomorrow. GO SOX!

Lip Man 1
06-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Fielder:

And giving up a run (naturally...) :D:

Lip

06-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Good time at the ballpark today for my first home game of the year.

LITTLE NELL
06-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Cards just beat the Tribe 2-0, back to 1.5 game lead.

Soxman219
06-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Cards just beat the Tribe 2-0, back to 1.5 game lead.

:)

samurai_sox
06-09-2012, 10:06 PM
I'm starting to believe that Sale will be the All Star Game starter for the AL.

soxinem1
06-09-2012, 10:58 PM

I kind of hope he doesn't go. The pitches he throws for us are more important than an exhibition game.

Plus, it is just me or does it seem ASG starters totally fall off the planet in the second half? :scratch:

Hitmen77
06-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Great game to be at!

My only complaint is that the Sox need to score 10 runs when their ace isn't pitching!
:redneck

That would be 3 times in 10 years for the Sox if it happened. Loaiza started in 2003 and Buehrle started in 2005.

ChiSoxGirl
06-09-2012, 11:12 PM
What a magnificent day at the ballpark! I went out there with my dad for our third annual Father/Daughter Day and we had a great time.

The Pros: The cloudless sky, breeze and warm temperatures; the awesome 2005 commemorative World Series canvas; our seats (Sec. 530, Row 7); Sale's dominant pitching; the Sox bats; being at the ballpark with my dad; seeing his face light up when we walked onto the warning track from the center field gate.

The Cons: We enjoyed the pregame walk around the field, except for the nazis who wouldn't let people stop to take pictures. "Keep moving! You have to keep moving!" they yelled at everyone. Don't give people the opportunity to participate in a pregame walk around the perimeter of the field and not allow them to stop for a quick picture next to Frank Thomas's retired number. For some, this is the only opportunity they'll have to do such a thing. Not everyone gets a Grinder Bash invite, White Sox!

Secondly, I'd been saving my appetite all day (and all season for that matter) for a chicken burrito. After the pregame on-field parade ended, my dad & I walked up to the 500-level and stopped for our food before heading to our seats. I hadn't eaten anything all day because I was saving my calories for the burrito. There are three TexMex stands in the upper deck, only one of which was open. The stand near Sec. 533 was open, so I walked right up and ordered my chicken burrito. Twenty minutes before first pitch, I was told, "We don't have chicken." :?: Aggravated, I walked away and my dad & I walked further down to the next TexMex stand to find it closed. I went up to our seats, while my dad went back to the TexMex stand to order himself a beef burrito. The guy turned to get a tortilla, turned back and told my dad, "The burritos are cold." It was now 10 minutes before first pitch and the TexMex stand still wasn't equipped to serve burritos!

Seriously, how can you have cold tortillas and not have any chicken 20 minutes before the first pitch of a Saturday afternoon ballgame? Furthermore, why is only one TexMex stand open? I get that a crowd of 38,000 wasn't expected, but this is NOT good customer service!

GoGoCrede
06-09-2012, 11:13 PM
What a magnificent day at the ballpark! I went out there with my dad for our third annual Father/Daughter Day and we had a great time.

The Pros: The cloudless sky, breeze and warm temperatures; our seats (Sec. 530, Row 7); Sale's dominant pitching; the Sox bats; being at the ballpark with my dad; seeing his face light up when we walked onto the warning track from the center field gate.

The Cons: We enjoyed the pregame walk around the field, except for the nazis who wouldn't let people stop to take pictures. "Keep moving! You have to keep moving!" they yelled at everyone. Don't give people the opportunity to participate in a pregame walk around the perimeter of the field and not allow them to stop for a quick picture next to Frank Thomas's retired number. For some, this is the only opportunity they'll have to do such a thing. Not everyone gets a Grinder Bash invite, White Sox!

Secondly, I'd been saving my appetite all day (and all season for that matter) for a chicken burrito. After the pregame on-field parade ended, my dad & I walked up to the 500-level and stopped for our food before heading to our seats. I hadn't eaten anything all day because I was saving my calories for the burrito. There are three TexMex stands in the upper deck, only one of which was open. The stand near Sec. 533 was open, so I walked right up and ordered my chicken burrito. Twenty minutes before first pitch, I was told, "We don't have chicken." :?: Aggravated, I walked away and my dad & I walked further down to the next TexMex stand to find it closed. I went up to our seats, while my dad went back to the TexMex stand to order himself a beef burrito. The guy turned to get a tortilla, turned back and told my dad, "The burritos are cold." It was now 10 minutes before first pitch and the TexMex stand still wasn't equipped to serve burritos!

Seriously, how can you have cold tortillas and not have any chicken 20 minutes before the first pitch of a Saturday afternoon ballgame? Furthermore, why is only one TexMex stand open? I get that a crowd of 38,000 wasn't expected, but this is NOT good customer service!

I was at the game on Thursday and am sad to report the churros were cold and stale. Get it together!

DSpivack
06-09-2012, 11:33 PM

The Pros: The cloudless sky, breeze and warm temperatures; the awesome 2005 commemorative World Series canvas; our seats (Sec. 530, Row 7); Sale's dominant pitching; the Sox bats; being at the ballpark with my dad; seeing his face light up when we walked onto the warning track from the center field gate.

Sadly it sounds like your customer service experience all around was terrible, and from what I've read here and heard from others that doesn't sound unusual.

DSpivack
06-09-2012, 11:34 PM
I was at the game on Thursday and am sad to report the churros were cold and stale. Get it together!

I knew I should have gotten the funnel cake. :(:

GoGoCrede
06-09-2012, 11:36 PM

I think you were pressured into it, sorry! Now we know for next time.

Edit: Maybe it's just the one stand? I'm in denial. I want to try a different stand next time I go to a game. October26 said hers was fine? I think she got some too.

DSpivack
06-09-2012, 11:41 PM

Nah, I would prefer the minibag churros most days to the funnel cake, I just saw the people in front of us with the funnel cake and it looked fresh and warm, while I was worried that the churros would be cold and that turned out to be the case.

Lip Man 1
06-09-2012, 11:47 PM
ChiSoxGirl:

E-mail Brooks and let him know about this.

Lip

ChiSoxGirl
06-09-2012, 11:53 PM
ChiSoxGirl:

Lip

No, I'm not going to bother. The last time I was told to e-mail someone in the Sox organization with my concerns about something (Christine O'Reilly regarding SoxFest), my e-mail wasn't dignified with a response.

Brian26
06-09-2012, 11:57 PM
ChiSoxGirl:

Lip

The Sportservice concessions have been awful for the several years, and that's been brought to everyone's attention. The concession stands in the Upper Deck look like they are from a third-world country based on the worker's attitudes and cleanliness, along with the quality of the food.

The Sox brass hang out here everyday and know what's going on. Emailing Brooks is a waste of time.

GoGoCrede
06-10-2012, 12:03 AM
No, I'm not going to bother. The last time I was told to e-mail someone in the Sox organization with my concerns about something (Christine O'Reilly regarding SoxFest), my e-mail wasn't dignified with a response.

Ambush him and make him eat a stale churro and/or a hot dog with a stale bun. Then he'll right the ship. :smile:

DumpJerry
06-10-2012, 12:09 AM
I have finally updated my signature from the day Burls signed with Miami.

GoGoCrede
06-10-2012, 12:09 AM
I have finally updated my signature from the day Burls signed with Miami.

What are the winning lotto numbers, Dump? :smile:

DumpJerry
06-10-2012, 12:11 AM
:scratch: Not only were many families taking pics in front of my seats, but the security people were the ones taking the pics so the whole family was in the picture.

ChiSoxGirl
06-10-2012, 12:13 AM
:scratch: Not only were many families taking pics in front of my seats, but the security people were the ones taking the pics so the whole family was in the picture.

The people in center field, the left field corner, near the Sox dugout and behind home plate were allowing nothing of the kind.

tstrike2000
06-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Sale for All Star starting pitcher.

thomas35forever
06-10-2012, 03:08 AM
Sale deserves to be in the All-Star Game. Amazing how his role was uncertain a month ago and now this. Dude is lights out right now.

kufram
06-10-2012, 03:38 AM
It's only night games for the next month and a half or so, then back to the 3:05 time slot, I believe. They have done it in the past though, for example last year on the day of the Champions League final.

That is so unfair to the GMT fan base!

SephClone89
06-10-2012, 04:44 AM
That is so unfair to the GMT fan base!

I mean the FOX games are all night games. Sox are playing at 3. This is good for the GMT crowd.

cards press box
06-10-2012, 06:17 AM
I'm so happy for you, Fielder, and for all Sox fans who were in attendance at US Cellular Field today. This was a great win. :bliss:Sox need to take the series tomorrow. GO SOX!

I was there and it was a great day to say:

:winner

kufram
06-10-2012, 07:17 AM
I mean the FOX games are all night games. Sox are playing at 3. This is good for the GMT crowd.

Thank you for that. I would have checked the schedule anyway.

BUT I was all ready to email Brooks to complain... demand that the schedule be changed... demand that they buy players that will only play during the day... demand the lights be taken out of the Cell ... demand a change of ownership.... blame Robin.... blame the umps...threaten to stop going to games..... wait, I can't go to games anyway!

Never mind.

tstrike2000
06-10-2012, 08:43 AM

Next Soxfest, we'll have to remind Brooks both of the upper deck food experience and that you haven't gotten your Robin picture signed yet.

October26
06-10-2012, 11:13 AM

Edit: Maybe it's just the one stand? I'm in denial. I want to try a different stand next time I go to a game. October26 said hers was fine? I think she got some too.

Whenever I am at US Cellular Field, I buy my churros from the churro cart located on the lower level concourse. These churros are kept warm under a heat lamp, and I always ask the vendor: Are those warm? I cannot imagine eating cold churros. So, yes, the chocolate churro I had at the game on Thursday night was warm and yummy. :drool:

SephClone89
06-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Whenever I am at US Cellular Field, I buy my churros from the churro cart located on the lower level concourse. These churros are kept warm under a heat lamp, and I always ask the vendor: Are those warm? I cannot imagine eating cold churros. So, yes, the chocolate churro I had at the game on Thursday night was warm and yummy. :drool:

Which one? The outfield concourse?

October26
06-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Which one? The outfield concourse?

No, it was the churro cart down the 1B/RF side of the councourse, not too far from section 115 where we were sitting on Thursday night.

Hitmen77
06-10-2012, 04:19 PM

I was at the pre-game parade too and you're absolutely right. They were hassling anyone who stopped to take a picture even if they stopped for a brief moment. I told the kids to walk up ahead of me and get set up for a picture at certain spots and that I would be there to take their picture as I walked by. That worked as a way to us to get pictures w/out being told to keep moving.

I think the problem is that, by the time the parade starts, they're trying to hustle people around the track before it's game time. I think they've gotten worse about hassling people who try to take pictures during this parade as the years have gone by.

The Sportservice concessions have been awful for the several years, and that's been brought to everyone's attention. The concession stands in the Upper Deck look like they are from a third-world country based on the worker's attitudes and cleanliness, along with the quality of the food.

I've never had a problem with the workers' attitudes. But, man, are they slow! We were trying to get a snack in between innings yesterday and there was only one person in front of us in line, but it was taking them FOREVER to take care of his order.

I counted and there were 6 workers behind the counter at the time and only 1 register open. Fans shouldn't have to expect a long wait at the concessions even when there is only 1 person ahead of you in line, but that's pretty much what I have come to expect. The people behind the counter were plenty nice to me, but there has to be something wrong with their process for ringing up orders and getting people their food.

ChiSoxGirl
06-10-2012, 06:25 PM
I was at the pre-game parade too and you're absolutely right. They were hassling anyone who stopped to take a picture even if they stopped for a brief moment. I told the kids to walk up ahead of me and get set up for a picture at certain spots and that I would be there to take their picture as I walked by. That worked as a way to us to get pictures w/out being told to keep moving.

I think the problem is that, by the time the parade starts, they're trying to hustle people around the track before it's game time. I think they've gotten worse about hassling people who try to take pictures during this parade as the years have gone by.

Yelling at fans to "keep moving!" during a pregame parade is another way to alienate some of them. Here's an idea. Rather than first letting the parade people into the ballpark at 2:25 before a 3:10 first pitch, let them in as soon as the opponents finish BP and when the grounds crew starts prepping the field, which is around 1:45. That way, they don't have to rush the fans and poo-poo them from stopping for a few moments to take pictures.

The Sox say they pride themselves on their fan friendliness. That's all fine and good, but then don't yell at people to "keep moving" during what is a once in a lifetime chance for some. As I said in my original post, not everyone is a season ticket holder and gets invited to Grinder Bash later in the summer. I wasn't too upset about not being able to get my picture by Frank Thomas's retired number yesterday because I know I'll be at Grinder Bash in a month or two, but some people aren't as fortunate as I am.

soxcap
06-10-2012, 10:47 PM

Last time I got a funnel cake, they took a pre-cooked one out of a bin, and put it in the oil again. Yuck! How many meals do you need to skip for that? It was hot, though.