PDA

View Full Version : No-Hitter Alert

all*star quentin
06-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Mariners, Kevin Millwood perfect through five.

Brian26
06-08-2012, 10:52 PM

Hawk wants this guy on the Sox. The Mariners are praying he throws the no-hitter to bump up his trade value.

guillensdisciple
06-08-2012, 11:01 PM

It's a little early for an alert don't you think?

Boondock Saint
06-08-2012, 11:03 PM
It's a little early for an alert don't you think?

If a man's going to make history, I want to watch as much of it as possible. He's more than halfway there.

edit: It's also irrelevant at this point.

RKMeibalane
06-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Millwood out. The Mariners still have a chance for a combined no-hitter, but one wonders if they have enough offense to score against the Dodger pitching staff.

DSpivack
06-08-2012, 11:12 PM
If a man's going to make history, I want to watch as much of it as possible. He's more than halfway there.

edit: It's also irrelevant at this point.

Millwood out. The Mariners still have a chance for a combined no-hitter, but one wonders if they have enough offense to score against the Dodger pitching staff.

Still could have one of those combined no-hitters a la the Astros at Yankee Stadium a number of years ago.

RKMeibalane
06-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Still could have one of those combined no-hitters a la the Astros at Yankee Stadium a number of years ago.

I remember that. It was 2003. George was not happy. :cool:

RadioheadRocks
06-08-2012, 11:18 PM

I remember that. It was 2003. George was not happy. :cool:

Or like Blue Moon Odom and Francisco Barrios had for us back in 1976.

Boondock Saint
06-08-2012, 11:18 PM

Yeah, but it's not the same.

DSpivack
06-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Yeah, but it's not the same.

More unique than a CG no-hitter, although Millwood had a perfect game.

That said, Pryor has walked the first two batters in the 8th.

EDIT: After Pryor, Luetge came in to pitch to one batter who bunted the two runners over, and Brandon League is now coming in. On the first batter League allowed a shallow fly ball to LF, Chone Figgins of all people came in to make the catch and make a nice throw him not allowing the runner to tag up and score. League struck out the next batter. To the 9th...

Boondock Saint
06-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Gordon looked safe to me.

DSpivack
06-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Tom Wilhelmsen gets a 1-2-3 9th inning and the Mariners have just the 10th combined no-hitter in MLB history.

Boondock Saint
06-08-2012, 11:58 PM
They got it.

DSpivack
06-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Also the 4th no-hitter so far this season.

Viva Medias B's
06-09-2012, 12:12 AM

And Safeco Park's second one.

palehozenychicty
06-09-2012, 01:16 AM

It's the pitching era. Runs per team have been in steady decline over the last five years.

I'm not surprised that Safeco has two of them this year. It's one of the premiere pitching parks in the game.

DSpivack
06-09-2012, 01:45 AM
It's the pitching era. Runs per team have been in steady decline over the last five years.

I'm not surprised that Safeco has two of them this year. It's one of the premiere pitching parks in the game.

There were 6 no-hitters in 2010, the most since 1991 which saw an amazing 7 no-hitters. I wonder if we'll see a run for either year's total this season.

That said, in the expansion era there are a lot more total games in baseball than ever before, although that has obviously remained constant since the last expansion year of 1997.

DumpJerry
06-09-2012, 07:59 AM
There were 6 no-hitters in 2010, the most since 1991 which saw an amazing 7 no-hitters. I wonder if we'll see a run for either year's total this season.

That said, in the expansion era there are a lot more total games in baseball than ever before, although that has obviously remained constant since the last expansion year of 1997.
The expansion era has also diluted the talent pool. I'm guessing if you could create a measure for what constitutes a "stud" player, you would probably find the same number in 1950 as today. In 1950, not all players would qualify as "stud" players. This tells me that the number of truly talented players is probably a constant while the number of mediocre players has increased to meet the additional roster needs. Because of the influx of mediocre players, there are going to be teams with a disproportionate number of mediocre players due to the high price of stud players.

gobears1987
06-09-2012, 09:38 AM
The expansion era has also diluted the talent pool. I'm guessing if you could create a measure for what constitutes a "stud" player, you would probably find the same number in 1950 as today. In 1950, not all players would qualify as "stud" players. This tells me that the number of truly talented players is probably a constant while the number of mediocre players has increased to meet the additional roster needs. Because of the influx of mediocre players, there are going to be teams with a disproportionate number of mediocre players due to the high price of stud players.

I would argue that the international growth of the game combined with population growth since 1950 more than makes up for whatever diluted talent pool you would have.

While the Majors of the 1950s would've been North American only, now you draw talent from East Asia and Latin America. Combine that with the fact the US population has about doubled since 1950 and the diluted talent pool argument falls apart.

You could however make a case that development of youth talent has collapsed due to the structure of little leagues.

SephClone89
06-09-2012, 09:48 AM
I would argue that the international growth of the game combined with population growth since 1950 more than makes up for whatever diluted talent pool you would have.

While the Majors of the 1950s would've been North American only, now you draw talent from East Asia and Latin America. Combine that with the fact the US population has about doubled since 1950 and the diluted talent pool argument falls apart.

You could however make a case that development of youth talent has collapsed due to the structure of little leagues.

Not to mention that only six teams had integrated by 1950...

doublem23
06-09-2012, 11:04 AM

110% correct

DSpivack
06-09-2012, 11:09 AM

And it's not like there was a dearth of no-hitters in the 1950s, either. But back then there were only 16 teams playing a 154-game schedule, thus by my count there were 1,232 games in MLB each season. Now we have 30 teams playing a 162-game schedule, which I think adds up to 2,430 games, almost twice as many games per season as there was ~60 years ago.

#1swisher
06-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Millwood left the game after 6 innings due to a groin strain.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=2943130

CoopaLoop
06-09-2012, 12:28 PM
The more and more goofs I see throw no hitters, the more I am willing to listen to the debate that what Kerry Wood did is more impressive.

DSpivack
06-09-2012, 12:56 PM
The more and more goofs I see throw no hitters, the more I am willing to listen to the debate that what Kerry Wood did is more impressive.

I don't know that Millwood is a goof, he had a no-hitter on his own around 10 years ago with the Phillies. That said, as there have been a couple hundred no-hitters in MLB history, Wood's 20-strikeout game was a more rare feat, though not as impressive as a perfect game.

DumpJerry
06-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Maybe Sale will have 21 k's today, all on 0-3 counts to silence the Woodheads forever.

Wood's game was also against the Astros.....hmmm.....

DSpivack
06-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Maybe Sale will have 21 k's today, all on 0-3 counts to silence the Woodheads forever.

Wood's game was also against the Astros.....hmmm.....

I like the way you think. :cool:

SephClone89
06-09-2012, 02:28 PM

I think it is, and most statistical measures would seem to agree.

TommyJohn
06-10-2012, 12:52 AM

I once again salute Dave Kaplan, whose tremendous *******ry gave birth to this whole phenomenon.

DSpivack
06-10-2012, 01:08 AM
I once again salute Dave Kaplan, whose tremendous *******ry gave birth to this whole phenomenon.

I agree and I can't stand Kaplan, but I think saying that striking out 20 is a more impressive feat than a no-hitter is one thing, and saying that it's more impressive than a perfect game is quite another. I think that it is definitely better than the former, and not really close to the latter.

goofymsfan
06-10-2012, 04:17 AM
It has been a crazy year for me as a Mariners fan. I not only got to see my first perfect game live and in person, that same year I see my team throw a combined no-hitter. Couldn't hardly believe it but the same umpire called both games this year at Safeco.

Was funny when Jesus Montero jumped into Tom Wilhelmsen's arms. Tom had a brain fart and didn't realize what had just happened. He thought it was just a normal win. Lol Crazy year indeed!

mahagga73
06-10-2012, 04:21 PM
It has been a crazy year for me as a Mariners fan. I not only got to see my first perfect game live and in person, that same year I see my team throw a combined no-hitter. Couldn't hardly believe it but the same umpire called both games this year at Safeco.

Was funny when Jesus Montero jumped into Tom Wilhelmsen's arms. Tom had a brain fart and didn't realize what had just happened. He thought it was just a normal win. Lol Crazy year indeed!
It's too bad you guys couldn't keep Humber.Most Sox fans would gladly trade him for a few bats or something.

DSpivack
06-10-2012, 09:37 PM
It's too bad you guys couldn't keep Humber.Most Sox fans would gladly trade him for a few bats or something.

Humber was never on the Mariners. :scratch:

SephClone89
06-10-2012, 09:56 PM

...?

soxinem1
06-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Millwood left the game after 6 innings due to a groin strain.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=2943130

I was wondering why he was pulled. He was dotting the corners and didn't even throw 70 pitches.

Too bad for him, but part of history nonetheless.

But I do not know how he would benefit us. I think Hawk needs to calm down about him.

He pitches half his games at Safeco, not The Cell. His fastball is gone and his slider has no consistent bite on it anymore.

I'd rather take a chance on Erik Bedard before him.....

mahagga73
06-11-2012, 06:57 PM
...?
keep him after the perfect game I meant.I know he has never been on the Mariners.