PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Houston We Have A Problem...6/8 Postgame

Lip Man 1
06-08-2012, 11:23 PM
Very difficult to take losing a game like this to a very bad team.

Floyd has never matched his season of 2008, not come close. I'd go so far as to say he's regressing and this is a serious problem.

Ohman and Stewart also need to go in my opinion. Ohman's salary is a sunk cost so he can be released. I can't see the Sox getting anything for him in a trade.

Kenny's going to be looking for starting pitching next month if the Sox are still in this.

Just a disappointing home stand...at least they can still win the series.

Lip

guillensdisciple
06-08-2012, 11:25 PM
I just want everyone to know that barring sale, this teams pitching has been horrible since our winning streak began.

GoGoCrede
06-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Floyd was better than his last start, at least. Keep improving slowly like that and he'll be okay. He generally does very well in the month of June.

Boondock Saint
Nothing positive to pull from this game. Just crap all over.

russ99
Very difficult to take losing a game like this to a very bad team.

Floyd has never matched his season of 2008, not come close. I'd go so far as to say he's regressing and this is a serious problem.

Ohman and Stewart also need to go in my opinion. Ohman's salary is a sunk cost so he can be released. I can't see the Sox getting anything for him in a trade.

Kenny's going to be looking for starting pitching next month if the Sox are still in this.

Just a disappointing home stand...at least they can still win the series.

Lip

Not a very bad team, just not a good team. Hitting hasn't been the Astros' problem, it's pitching, especially relief pitching. But the Sox couldn't get anything going with less than two outs today...

Have to agree with the amount of salary the Sox are paying Danks and Floyd, both really need to step up the second half of this season.

Soxman219
06-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Floyd has been just awful. Guillen is right, outside Sale the pitching staff has been consistently bad.

Jurr
06-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Brooks will say the losses are happening because attendance has increased, thus increasing the pressure on the Sox to perform.

RKMeibalane
06-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Hoping Viciedo's somewhere getting a saline bolus, so that he can pillage the Astros for the remainder of the weekend.

Otherwise, Williams needs to find a taker for Ohman. He sucks. That three-run home run in the ninth was inexcusable. Granted, Santiago put those runners on base, but Ohman has been absolutely brutal for the entire season. He's not even a LOOGY anymore. Were he in the WWE, he'd be a jobber designed to put over more talented wrestlers. He reminds me of the idiots that Kane used to demolish when he first entered the WWE in 1997.

Tragg
06-08-2012, 11:29 PM
WE played like clowns. Wild pitches, errors, and it look like they stole home or something. The situational lefty gives up a homer to a guy who can't hit lefties (I am glad it was Bogusevic, if someone had to hit that; great kid).

As for Stewart, that rests squarely on Sox scouting and/or Ken Williams. He was a prominent AAA pitcher with some ML experience; full resume. If they can't come up with someone better than him for our top trading chit, they should try something else.

Lip Man 1
06-08-2012, 11:30 PM
The starting staff was considered the strength of the club....baseball is truly a funny game isn't it?

Lip

LongLiveFisk
I just want everyone to know that barring sale, this teams pitching has been horrible since our winning streak began.

Well, hopefully he can help right the ship tomorrow after this suckfest.

RKMeibalane
Brooks will say the losses are happening because attendance has increased, thus increasing the pressure on the Sox to perform.

Is it just me, or does Brooks deserve to be fired? He had a number of good ideas when he first joined the Sox, but lately, he's seemed like another of Reinsdorf's tools.

RadioheadRocks
06-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Phffffft!

all*star quentin
06-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Tank had to leave the game due to dehydration, prob. has the flu that's going around the clubhouse.
Makes me think that this is what the issue is with them, currently.

IV's and gatorade for everyone. Get back to being a Winning Team.

guillensdisciple
06-08-2012, 11:36 PM
The starting staff was considered the strength of the club....baseball is truly a funny game isn't it?

Lip

It looked like it too and then once the offense started going it was like they decided it was okay to take time off

Boondock Saint
06-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Tank had to leave the game due to dehydration, prob. has the flu that's going around the clubhouse.
Makes me think that this is what the issue is with them, currently.

IV's and gatorade for everyone. Get back to being a Winning Team.

That'd be a whole hell of a lot more palatable than "They all forgot how to play baseball simultaneously".

Zakath
06-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Had a chance until Alexei's two big mistakes in the seventh gave them a extra run. Ohman just closed the casket with the three-run shot.

Need Sale to come out and throw another gem tomorrow. Our offense has gone into dormant mode again, only mustering 16 runs in the last 5 games.

Brian26
06-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Is it just me, or does Brooks deserve to be fired? He had a number of good ideas when he first joined the Sox, but lately, he's seemed like another of Reinsdorf's tools.

What does this have to do with the postgame thread? There's a 31-page thread on Brooks a bit farther down in the Clubhouse. Go bitch there.

all*star quentin
06-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Congratulations to Jordan Danks on his first Major League hit! :gulp:

tstrike2000
06-08-2012, 11:46 PM
The pitching was shaky once again, but our offense needs to score more than 3 runs. They really need to win the rest of the weekend.

Lip Man 1
06-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Pitching has given up 36 runs in the past six games (four losses.)

What I would do is release Ohman, send Stewart down to Charlotte. Move Humber to the bullpen, move Q into the rotation and activate Danks. I'd also look at possibly bringing someone up out of the minors for long relief / mop up duty.

Hell they've already got three rookies in the pen, might as well take a shot with four.

I don't know what to do with Floyd. They can't possibly trade him unless they got a starter back in return and the way he's going, they'd never get anything close to near equal value.

Lip

LoveYourSuit
06-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Floyd was better than his last start, at least. Keep improving slowly like that and he'll be okay. He generally does very well in the month of June.

I know you are a big fan of him, but the guy is such a mental midget. He has been awful this year.

guillensdisciple
06-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Pitching has given up 36 runs in the past six games (four losses.)

What I would do is release Ohman, send Stewart down to Charlotte. Move Humber to the bullpen, move Q into the rotation and activate Danks. I'd also look at possibly bringing someone up out of the minors for long relief / mop up duty.

Hell they've already got three rookies in the pen, might as well take a shot with four.

I don't know what to do with Floyd. They can't possibly trade him unless they got a starter back in return and the way he's going, they'd never get anything close to near equal value.

Lip

There is no equal value because he is not good. We don't deserve anything better. He has been on a downward spiral for a while. Should have traded him during the offseason.

DickAllen72
06-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Anytime Ramirez wants to take his head out of his ass will be fine with me.

RadioheadRocks
06-08-2012, 11:54 PM

I know you are a big fan of him, but the guy is such a mental midget. He has been awful this year.

And June's not starting out very promising...

GoGoCrede
06-08-2012, 11:55 PM

I think it's a slump. I hate the phrase "mental midget" because we have no idea what he's actually thinking and what he does or doesn't take to heart. He has succeeded in big games for the Sox before (granted, in 2008, his best year, but I have confidence that he can do it again).

Lip Man 1
06-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Ramirez still has lapses in concentration and until (unless) he gets through that he'll never bee the elite shortstop his talent says he can be.

This is his 5th year in the bigs, you'd think he'd have figured that out by now.

Lip

guillensdisciple
06-08-2012, 11:58 PM
I think it's a slump. I hate the phrase "mental midget" because we have no idea what he's actually thinking and what he does or doesn't take to heart. He has succeeded in big games for the Sox before (granted, in 2008, his best year, but I have confidence that he can do it again).

You are protecting a player who is underperforming because of
How much you like him. Same way people protected Brian Anderson around here just because they liked him. The guy is not
Good, and even at his best he was getting paid good money for a 4.3 era and .500 winning line.

He has amazing potential, but he can't get it together. It's a shame.

Lip Man 1
06-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Sometimes I wonder what's going on in Floyd's head. I know I've heard from some of the beat writers that they can't figure him out. No one seems to be able to get through to him.

I remember earlier in the year something that happened and all you could do was shake your head. He's pitching against Baltimore, Jones I think. The next guy is hitting something like .180. Instead of pitching around Jones, Floyd throws a flat breaking ball, it gets crushed for a three run home run (if I remember right) and that's the game.

I remember writing at the time, that Floyd's been around for a few years now, that's something you expect from a rookie not a 'young veteran' with what 1,000 innings in the big leagues.

He's very, very frustrating and I don't know if, like Ramirez, he'll ever 'get it,' for wont of a better word.

Lip

slavko
06-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Keep throwing the same pitch enough times and the batter's going to square it up eventually. Six straight fastballs at 90 MPH inaro. The good news is that the game was lost anyway. Can't use him when you need to get outs. Mop-up duty only.

And yet....SOMEBODY has to need a lefty. SOMEBODY.

Lip Man 1
06-09-2012, 12:04 AM
I don't know. Ohman's pretty bad.

Lip

amsteel
06-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Wah Wah...Win tomorrow and flip a coin on Sunday.

Get some hits before 2 outs and this is a different game. Santiago and Ohman are hopefully the odd men out when Danks come back.

RadioheadRocks
06-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Sometimes I wonder what's going on in Floyd's head. I know I've heard from some of the beat writers that they can't figure him out. No one seems to be able to get through to him.

I remember earlier in the year something that happened and all you could do was shake your head. He's pitching against Baltimore, Jones I think. The next guy is hitting something like .180. Instead of pitching around Jones, Floyd throws a flat breaking ball, it gets crushed for a three run home run (if I remember right) and that's the game.

I remember writing at the time, that Floyd's been around for a few years now, that's something you expect from a rookie not a 'young veteran' with what 1,000 innings in the big leagues.

He's very, very frustrating and I don't know if, like Ramirez, he'll ever 'get it,' for wont of a better word.

Lip

This says it ALL.

chisoxfanatic
06-09-2012, 01:32 AM
I guess I picked a great game to sleep through. I had a day's work, and our graduation was today, so I flopped on the couch when I got home and didn't wake up until 10ish. Sounds like it was a doozy! C'mon, Sox! Don't regress now that you've put yourselves into a great position! It's not early...In a few weeks, we'll be halfway through the season!

palehozenychicty
06-09-2012, 02:20 AM
It's a loss. We keep it moving. I stopped waiting for Floyd to be a great starter. He's not that guy.

PalehosePlanet
06-09-2012, 02:21 AM
After a hot streak it's the baseball norm to go into a funk; you could see this week's struggles coming during the Seattle series. The team just needs to minimize the damage and get wins where possible. It has absolutely nothing to do with who the opponent is, as some of you think.

And for the hundredth time Lip, Gavin was better in '09 than in '08. Look at all of the peripheral numbers, not wins and losses, and you'll see that he basically just had rotten luck. Is he sucking now? Absolutely. Is he inconsistent? Absolutely. Is he mentally deficient? Absolute ****ing nonsense! Good thing to know there are hundreds of psychologists on WSI that can give ridiculous diagnosis free of cost.

Go get 'em tomorrow Chris.

CoopaLoop
06-09-2012, 02:31 AM
Floyd isn't good. Wish he would have been moved in the offseason with Quentin. We got the most out of him, but the guy is just a mediocre starter.

hawkjt
06-09-2012, 02:42 AM
Geez...I guess the Sox should beat every team that is below them? Right.
Wandy was their best starter and he managed to keep us from scoring even tho we had 13 hits? We outhit them. Gavin gave up 4 hits in 6 innings? Trade him? C'mon. He also struck out at least 9. He had his good breaking ball back. He was not great but then neither was our defense,or our clutch hitting.

Sox can come back and win the next two and then we will not have to trade everyone by Monday....:scratch:

WSox597
06-09-2012, 08:36 AM
I don't know. Ohman's pretty bad.

Lip

One of my brothers is a Cub fan. When the Sox signed Ohman he actually burst out laughing when I asked him how Ohman was.

"You guys aren't going to like him." were his exact words. Looks like he was right, the guy isn't too good.

He really giggled when the Sox signed Fukudome. Hopefully, that experiment will come to an end when he's off the DL. He's supposed to play pretty good defense, but his hitting is suspect.

Over By There
06-09-2012, 09:16 AM
One of my brothers is a Cub fan. When the Sox signed Ohman he actually burst out laughing when I asked him how Ohman was.

"You guys aren't going to like him." were his exact words. Looks like he was right, the guy isn't too good.

He really giggled when the Sox signed Fukudome. Hopefully, that experiment will come to an end when he's off the DL. He's supposed to play pretty good defense, but his hitting is suspect.

I think most people knew Ohman wasn't very good, just due to proximity of the Cubs. If anything, Ohman has actually outperformed what I thought we'd get from him (I'm purposefully damning with faint praise). Ohman is a mediocre LOOGY or mop-up guy at best.

Floyd is really starting to worry me. Combined with Humber lately, I just don't know if we can contend all summer. And if Danks looks bad when he comes back, hoo boy. Hopefully Gavin gets on one of his hot streaks soon.

TomBradley72
06-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Our hitting over the last 7 days- Konerko, Dunn, Viciedo, Ramirez, Hudson- ALL hitting < .154, group slump? flu bug?
Our pitching ERAs over the past 30 days- Humber (4.60), Danks (4.82), Peavy (5.04), Stewart (6.57), Ohman (6.75), Floyd (8.10), Reed (9.31)
May Team ERA- 10th in AL, 12th in June so far
We can talk all we want about releasing guys, etc.- but the reality is that we already have 4-5 rookies/young arms on the team as it is- some because they're good (Sale, Reed, Jones) and some because they are better than our current options in the minors (Santiago, Stewart). Over a long season- injuries will require us to dip into the minors- forcing the issue by releasing guys- will just lead to one of those revolving door seasons with the pitching staff (remember Ryan Buckvich?)- and eventually a tailspin out of the race.

And no trade bait to replenish any part of this roster- that's why this season is such a tightrope to me- a few guys go down- we're probably sunk- otherwise- I like our chances.

SI1020
06-09-2012, 09:36 AM
And for the hundredth time Lip, Gavin was better in '09 than in '08. Look at all of the peripheral numbers, not wins and losses, and you'll see that he basically just had rotten luck. I took you up on that and had a good close look at his stats for both years. I think it's pretty close but you could make a case that he actually pitched a little better in 09.

Chez
06-09-2012, 09:58 AM

Lip

That's two words, Lip.

We lose a bad game to Houston and everyone becomes Dan McNeil. Sale today, win tomorrow. Let's go.

kufram
06-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Every team is a couple of injuries away from disaster. Texas has had a bad run... should they be thinking of re-equipping? This team was so much fun to watch just over a week ago... now it's time to dump the dross. I don't like losing games. Who does? But I get to watch live games this week-end so they should win.

oldgrouch
06-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Had a chance until Alexei's two big mistakes in the seventh gave them a extra run. Ohman just closed the casket with the three-run shot.

Need Sale to come out and throw another gem tomorrow. Our offense has gone into dormant mode again, only mustering 16 runs in the last 5 games.

This happens every time we face a soft tossing lefty.:(::(:

Lip Man 1
06-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Palehose:

"Luck is the residue of design" -- Branch Rickey.

As I said in my original post, they can still win the series...(well maybe).

Lip

PalehosePlanet
06-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Palehose:

"Luck is the residue of design" -- Branch Rickey.

As I said in my original post, they can still win the series...(well maybe).

Lip

Tell that to Felix Hernandez who won a Cy Young at 12-12. Apparently I'm not the only one who doesn't look at Wins & Losses to judge a pitcher's performance.

Also as far as luck goes, the ball is no longer bouncing our way; that's baseball. When we were hot we had a lot of bloopers and seeing eye hits go our way, now, unfortunately, for a while, we can expect the opposite.

Hawk's incessant cliche of: Don't tell me who you played, but when you played them, is 100% true. It makes no difference who your opponent is: When you're hot you beat anyone and everyone; when cold you can and will lose to the so called bad teams.

Like I said earlier we have to minimize the damage during this cold spell, and try and snap out of it quicker than Oziie's teams did (3/4 week slumps were the norm under Guillen.)