PDA

View Full Version : Pitching staff

LITTLE NELL
06-08-2012, 07:57 AM
I don't see how we can hold on to first place with Floyd at 5.32, Humber at 5.68 and Danks at 5.70.
Whats the answer? I think Danks will return to form but Floyd and Humber I'm not so sure about. I think Quintana has earned a spot in the rotation so I would probably drop Floyd to #5 and Humber to long relief. At this point in time I would love for KW to trade Floyd and Humber for a reliable veteran starter, maybe someone like Dempster or Garza.

Harry Potter
06-08-2012, 08:23 AM
You can never have too much pirching

white sox bill
06-08-2012, 08:27 AM
I don't see how we can hold on to first place with Floyd at 5.32, Humber at 5.68 and Danks at 5.70.
Whats the answer? I think Danks will return to form but Floyd and Humber I'm not so sure about. I think Quintana has earned a spot in the rotation so I would probably drop Floyd to #5 and Humber to long relief. At this point in time I would love for KW to trade Floyd and Humber for a reliable veteran starter, maybe someone like Dempster or Garza.

I've wondered same, when 3/5's of your starters have ERA's of 5.50 on the average, it usually doesn't equate to first place. Maybe a testament to our offense at times picking up some of those not so good performances

Floyd and Humber as a trade bait? Isn't Floyds contract rather large? Two underperformers I'm not so sure would garnish much....then again theres a sucker born everyday.

But I'm with you on keeping Danks and purging Floyd and Humber

LITTLE NELL
06-08-2012, 08:47 AM
It's coming down to Peavy and Sale and pray for hail.

For you youngsters out there, thats a takeoff from the 1948 Boston Braves slogan of Spahn and Sain and pray for rain.

tstrike2000
06-08-2012, 08:50 AM
I've wondered same, when 3/5's of your starters have ERA's of 5.50 on the average, it usually doesn't equate to first place. Maybe a testament to our offense at times picking up some of those not so good performances

Floyd and Humber as a trade bait? Isn't Floyds contract rather large? Two underperformers I'm not so sure would garnish much....then again theres a sucker born everyday.

But I'm with you on keeping Danks and purging Floyd and Humber

Floyd is owed 3.875 million through this year with a club option for next year and Humber is only making 530K this year. You can't do much anyway with Danks and his 5 year/65 million contract through 2016. Danks just hasn't been 100% since the start of the season. The DL maybe came at a good time to get his health and mental approach going again.

As many have said with Floyd, he'll get on top of that curve ball again and eventually roll off a handful of good starts in a row. Humber's really the odd man out since Kenny can't replace three pitchers. Assuming we're still in the race in mid-July, the pitching and the back of the rotation will be addressed.

Madvora
06-08-2012, 08:58 AM
I can't believe a guy who's capable of throwing a perfect game looks like he should be cut now.

cws05champ
06-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Look at Floyd's ERA the last 3 years (09-11) by month and tell me if you really want to trade him now:

April 5.06
May 5.33
June 2.86
July 2.67
August 4.64
Sept 5.06

I'm confident that Floyd will start to figure it out and go on a nice run of starts. Humber I'm not so sure.....but he is our #5. You are going to get some good games and some stinkers. That's why we need a good long man like Quintana even after Danks comes back.

Hartman
06-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Floyd is just a basket case...he needs to find a way to be consistent and not get rattled. I'm still holding out hope that Danks will turn it around.

I would be cautious putting Quintana in any spot but as the 5th starter. That leaves Peavy, Sale, Danks, Floyd, and Quintana for me. Humber can be the bat boy.

We could really use another starter but I don't think Jerry will let Kenny do it.

chisoxjtrain
06-08-2012, 09:11 AM
I'm almost positive Danks' contract says he can't be traded this year.

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2012, 09:28 AM
I too would like to keep Quintana on the team when Danks returns; he and Stewart give Robin two long relievers who also could spot start. I would trade Ohman for a bag of baseballs.

amsteel
06-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Let Quintana and Sale switch starts to keep Sale's arm fresh, and JQ can get get some long bullpen work in between starts. As much as Stewart sucks, keep him for long relief appearances and get rid of Santiago.

Floyd will figure it out as he tends to during the summer and hope that Danks come back a good Danks.

Humber's the odd man out. Every team has a #5 starter. If he he really struggles. I think in 1.5 or 2 months or so if things remain the same you move JQ into his spot and move Humber to the pen.

kufram
06-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Not so very long ago the word was we had great starting pitching, but the offense wasn't good enough to compete. Too many automatic outs.... send guys down, bench them, etc. They were wasting great pitching performances.

Of course there may well be moves to be made at the right time but next week things could look different. All of our starters have shown at times that they can do the job... getting them to all do it at the same time and on cue is the tricky bit.

Chez
06-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Floyd is the most maddening player on the roster -- he's got such great potential. Unless things fall apart and the Sox go into a rebuild mode, I don't think you can afford to trade Gavin. I think he will bounce back -- he actually was pitching well till the start in Anaheim. I also have faith in Humber. Until Tuesday, he had throw well in his last few starts (though had little to show for it). Quintana? Insurance against injury.

doublem23
06-08-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm almost positive Danks' contract says he can't be traded this year.

I'm sure the Sox aren't interested in trading him anyway, unless, I suppose the Nationals come around offering Strasburg, Harper, Gio, and the Zimmermans.

SI1020
06-08-2012, 09:57 AM
I can't believe a guy who's capable of throwing a perfect game looks like he should be cut now. Armando Galaragga.

LITTLE NELL
06-08-2012, 10:17 AM
I can't believe a guy who's capable of throwing a perfect game looks like he should be cut now.

Humber is 3-8 since the 2nd half of last year with a high ERA.
I'd go with Quintana right now. Put Humber at long relief and maybe he can find his stuff again.

Moses_Scurry
06-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Danks isn't a 5+ ERA pitcher. Hopefully he comes back and pitches at least like a number 3. Keep Quintana at #4 until the wheels fall off. Let Floyd and Humber duke it out for #5. Even if there is absolutely no improvement at all, it's not that bad if they are #5. Unfortunately there are a lot of 'ifs' to count on.

Trade for Dempster.

soxinem1
06-08-2012, 10:50 AM
I too would like to keep Quintana on the team when Danks returns; he and Stewart give Robin two long relievers who also could spot start. I would trade Ohman for a bag of baseballs.

We'd probably have to pay the salary of Ohman and the bag of baseballs.

HeGone49
06-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Especially recently watching the lower end of the order, I think the Sox need to get some kind of pitching help. They need another guy in the rotation that can go out there and at least make you believe they can give you a W if the offense is less than amazing. Floyd and Humber have been ugly recently... but isn't this the month where Floyd gets hot? That'll help big time, and w/ Danks coming back they might not even need to trade anybody.

kufram
06-08-2012, 01:04 PM

A perfect game is exactly what it says.... a perfect game. If a pitcher like MB, a pitch to contact type, can throw one then any good mlb pitcher who has all of his stuff working on a given day can do it. It is just very rare for the baseball Gods to smile on one guy for an entire game like that. Humber had a great curveball that day and seemed to be able to throw it for a strike at will.... until the 9th.

hawkjt
06-08-2012, 01:39 PM
When you look at Humber's year it shows this:

1. He has 6 quality starts in 10 total starts.
2. In those 6 good starts he has given up 0,1,1,2,2,3 earned runs.
3. In the other 4 starts, he has given up 9,8,5,5 earned runs.

He is considered the Sox 5th starter,so a 60% quality start rate is acceptable in my world.

As for Gavin, history suggests that he will figure out his mechanics at some point and reel off some good starts,as long as he is healthy.

Danks is a question mark at this point,but it sounds like he is on track to return,and his history suggests he can bounce back from poor starts like last year.

Quintana needs to be kept ready to plug in,tho.

KMcMahon817
06-08-2012, 01:52 PM

All the clamoring for Ohman to get traded/cut is silly. The guy is a loogy, and he's good at this job. When used right, he is an effective part of a bullpen. LH batters are hitting under .150 against him this year. Earlier in the year, Robin wasn't using him right. Now he is.

Oh, and Quintana needs to start.

kufram
06-08-2012, 02:05 PM
I think Robin is doing the right thing. Patience. We're in pretty good shape. The guys that we have still have the wheels on. Nobody in the league has lost fewer games as of today. Let the guys work through their issues rather than reach for the quick fix that isn't needed.... yet, anyway.

sox1970
06-08-2012, 03:52 PM
When you look at Humber's year it shows this:

1. He has 6 quality starts in 10 total starts.
2. In those 6 good starts he has given up 0,1,1,2,2,3 earned runs.
3. In the other 4 starts, he has given up 9,8,5,5 earned runs.

He is considered the Sox 5th starter,so a 60% quality start rate is acceptable in my world.

As for Gavin, history suggests that he will figure out his mechanics at some point and reel off some good starts,as long as he is healthy.

Danks is a question mark at this point,but it sounds like he is on track to return,and his history suggests he can bounce back from poor starts like last year.

Quintana needs to be kept ready to plug in,tho.

Humber only has 5 quality starts, and his ERA is 7.38 since the perfect game. As far as I'm concerned, he's pitching for his spot in the rotation Sunday, especially if Danks is ready to come off the DL and Quintana throws a good game on Tuesday.

FielderJones
06-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Humber only has 5 quality starts, and his ERA is 7.38 since the perfect game. As far as I'm concerned, he's pitching for his spot in the rotation Sunday, especially if Danks is ready to come off the DL and Quintana throws a good game on Tuesday.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=humbeph01&t=p&year=2012

Correct, the April 16 game is not a quality start because only 5-1/3 innings pitched.

TDog
06-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Texas would be very happy with the White Sox pitching staff right now.

One of the reasons the White Sox are in first place, with an inferior lineup, at least to the Tigers, I think everyone agrees, and only two consistently strong starting pitchers, excluding Quintana who has only started three games, is that other strong teams are having so more problems with their rotation.

You need to find starters who are capable of going deep and winning low-scoring games. All the Sox starters have shown they can do that but the staff hasn't been doing it consistently. The White Sox starters are probably as capable of doing so, though, as pitchers who would be available to take their place.

hawkjt
06-08-2012, 06:22 PM

Ok, he is two outs from having 6 quality starts.

He also has given up almost half (17 of 36) of his earned runs for the whole season in 2 of those 10 starts. Clearly,when he blows up,he blows up real good, but he has given up a total of 19 earned runs in the other 8 starts...again, that means he has been decent at least 60% of his starts and that is a better ratio than Danks or Floyd and we are going to ship him out? He is the 5th starter....60% quality starts is acceptable. Floyd is the one who needs to figure it out quickly.

#1swisher
06-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Hector Santiago discusses his screwball.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120607&content_id=32947362&notebook_id=32947368&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

PeteWard
06-09-2012, 03:07 AM
It's coming down to Peavy and Sale and pray for hail.

For you youngsters out there, thats a takeoff from the 1948 Boston Braves slogan of Spahn and Sain and pray for rain.

Three men rotations then I think so the prayer games were only 33%. Ours are 60%.

fram40
06-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Three men rotations then I think so the prayer games were only 33%. Ours are 60%.

Floyd, Humber and Danks have frustrated this year, to say the least. But if our prayer games are 3 out of every five, and those are the three starting them, I feel confident that one of them - at least - throws a quality start each time through the rotation.

The Sox still have the best pitching in the division. By far. In potential and in performance.

Coop'll fix 'em!

#1swisher
06-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Working with Don Cooper between starts.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=2943118

LITTLE NELL
06-09-2012, 02:59 PM

Actually the 1948 Braves went with 4 starters, Sain started 39, Spahn 35, Voiselle 30 and Bickford 22. Various other guys picked up the remaining starts.

ZombieRob
06-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Working with Don Cooper between starts.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=2943118

If he develops a super slider with that motion he's really going to be tough to hit.

johnnyg83
06-10-2012, 01:31 PM
If he develops a super slider with that motion he's really going to be tough to hit.

tougher