PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers on the schedule

LITTLE NELL
06-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Why are we playing the Dodgers this year when all of our other inter-league games are with NL Central teams? Bad break for the Sox this year with the Dodgers having the best record in MLB. Would rather play the Reds or Pirates not to mention an extra trip to the West Coast.

nug0hs
06-07-2012, 11:50 AM
There's a set rotation of division play that changes each year, with an additional 2-3 series of random teams. For example, the NL Central and AL Central are matched up this year (3 series, vs. STL, HOU, and MIL), with an additional two random series vs. CHC and the Dodgers. Just how it worked out this year, though I agree it's a bit unfortunate. Hey, at least we get to see Juan Uribe's palms.

Lip Man 1
06-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Which is to the point that the "unbalanced" interleague schedules are impacting the pennant races.

When interleague started teams were only going to play the opposite divisions forever (AL Central vs. NL Central) but then some owners started to bitch literally "how come we don't get to play the Yankees in our park ever?" so old Proud To Be Your Bud started switching things around and naturally he made them worse.

Fortunately they'll have to do something very different next year when because of the match interleague will have to be played on a daily basis.

Lip

jdm2662
06-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Do you guys mind the Sox playing the Cubs another three times? I thought so.

LITTLE NELL
06-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Do you guys mind the Sox playing the Cubs another three times? I thought so.

Actually 3 games a year with them is enough with me.

FoulTerritory
06-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Which is to the point that the "unbalanced" interleague schedules are impacting the pennant races.

When interleague started teams were only going to play the opposite divisions forever (AL Central vs. NL Central) but then some owners started to bitch literally "how come we don't get to play the Yankees in our park ever?" so old Proud To Be Your Bud started switching things around and naturally he made them worse.

Fortunately they'll have to do something very different next year when because of the match interleague will have to be played on a daily basis.

Lip

I just hope they still keep interleague minimalized as much as possible next year. Lets hope they don't go full boat and make us play a series with every team in the NL.

Perhaps someone with a math brain can tell us what the minimum necessary amount of interleague games would be, per team. Whatever that number is, I hope they go with that.

delben91
06-07-2012, 11:59 AM

For the "crosstown series" stuff sure. But this year it's 3 more games against the team with a bottom 3 record in all of MLB, so good for the Sox in that regard.

jdm2662
06-07-2012, 12:02 PM

Well, they are the worst team in baseball this year, hence that was my point. You play who is on your schedule and that's that.

sox1970
06-07-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm looking forward to Sale vs Kershaw next Friday, but yes, they need to balance the schedule within the division next year.

JB98
06-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Kemp is on the DL, so it's not a horrible time to face the Dodgers.

russ99
06-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Why are we playing the Dodgers this year when all of our other inter-league games are with NL Central teams? Bad break for the Sox this year with the Dodgers having the best record in MLB. Would rather play the Reds or Pirates not to mention an extra trip to the West Coast.

While that Sox-Dodgers 1959 nostalgia the first time or two was pretty cool, this matchup has gotten old fast.

Hmmm... what was Jerry's favorite team when growing up? :wink:

downstairs
06-07-2012, 05:42 PM
I get that there's a rotation... but why isn't it more even. We've played some teams MANY MANY more times than others. And this is the case with everyone.

I think the Mets have never been to US Cellular, and we've only played them one series.

Lame.

downstairs
06-07-2012, 05:43 PM
While that Sox-Dodgers 1959 nostalgia the first time or two was pretty cool, this matchup has gotten old fast.

Jerry doesn't set the schedule. I doubt the teams even have a say. I assume the schedulers don't want 30 cooks in the kitchen with what is already a complicated job.

Harry Potter
06-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Jerry doesn't set the schedule. I doubt the teams even have a say. I assume the schedulers don't want 30 cooks in the kitchen with what is already a complicated job.

They should go back to having the family in Mass. preparing the schedule, as they did from the 1980s through I believe 2004 or 2005

ChicagoG19
06-07-2012, 06:21 PM
I get that there's a rotation... but why isn't it more even. We've played some teams MANY MANY more times than others. And this is the case with everyone.

I think the Mets have never been to US Cellular, and we've only played them one series.

Lame.

I know for a fact the Mets have played on the Southside because I was there. I want to say it was around 2002 or 2003.

RKMeibalane
06-07-2012, 06:43 PM

Lip

:tool

"Um, yes, baseball is our sport."

anewman35
06-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Sure, you'd ideally want equal schedules, but it really doesn't work out so badly for us this year. Here are the games:

Indians:

MIA, STL, CIN (6 games), PIT, HOU

Detroit:

PIT (6 games), CIN, CUBS, COL, STL

White Sox:

CUBS (6 games), HOU, STL, LAD, MIL

At the moment, 12 of our games are/were against teams well under .500. That's more than anybody else. And, yes, the Dodgers are the best team anybody faces, but the Reds and Pirates both seem at least pretty decent and the Indians and Tigers have 9 games against them in total, we don't have any. If you could choose which schedule of the three, is there anybody who wouldn't pick ours?

Lip Man 1
06-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Down:

Actually Jerry does have a say in things. In the past he has asked both Bob Grim and Howard Pizer to express his "concerns" about schedules to MLB.

Reread my interview with Bob to find out some of the specifics that the Sox have brought up to MLB in the past about their schedules.

And the Sox played a three game series with the Mets in Chicago, winning two, in 2002. They have never played the Mets in New York.

Sox all time record vs. N.L. opponents going into this year:

Arizona 4-5
Atlanta 5-4
Cubs 49-41
Cincinnati 17-8
Colorado 6-3
Florida 4-5
Houston 14-8
Dodgers 13-8
Mets 2-1
Philadelphia 4-5
Pittsburgh 17-9
San Diego 4-2
San Francisco 8-4
St. Louis 8-10
Washington 6-6

(I didn't include Milwaukee because for many years they were in the A.L.)

You can see the uneven number of games.

Lip

Soxman219
06-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Can't wait for that Dodger series.

WhiteSox5187
06-08-2012, 12:22 AM

Lame.

I lived in NYC for awhile and my friends there were all Met fans and I think there is a sort of bond that should exist between Mets fans and Sox fans as we are both somewhat over shadowed. It would be nice for MLB to highlight that but as Lip said Jerry does have the ear of Selig and I assume the fact that he grew up a Dodgers fan is what gets the Dodgers on our schedule quite a bit of late.

RCWHITESOX
06-08-2012, 12:52 AM

It will never get old for me. I definitely want to see the Sox put it to the Dodgers !