PDA

View Full Version : Konerko has bone fragment removed from wrist

delben91
06-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Item #2 in "Your Morning Phil (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-your-morning-phil-almora-konerko-clemens-20120606,0,2680755.story)" today. Apologies if this was already posted, didn't see a thread on it in the clubhouse.

Same issue he dealt with last season. Impression I take from the description is it should keep him out just a few days.

MISoxfan
06-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Can someone with some sort of background in this please explain it? I get that he has bone fragments time and again, but is it just one? Is it just a piece of bone under the skin that is leftover from a break? I know he has had it moved to somewhere that it doesn't bother him, but is it just the sameone that keeps moving to somewhere that agitates his wrist? Couldn't it be removed during the offseason?

06-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Just a few days? Drew Storen had a bone fragment removed (from his elbow) in Spring Training and he has not played yet this season. He won't be back until the 2nd half. I hope Paulie is not bound for a long DL stint.

delben91
06-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Just a few days? Drew Storen had a bone fragment removed (from his elbow) in Spring Training and he has not played yet this season. He won't be back until the 2nd half. I hope Paulie is not bound for a long DL stint.

:dunno:

Towards the bottom of the game recap article (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0606-white-sox-blue-jays-chicago--20120606,0,6453017.story) in the Tribune, it says Konerko had a similar procedure last year and missed 2 games...

beasly213
06-06-2012, 12:38 PM
:dunno:

Towards the bottom of the game recap article (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0606-white-sox-blue-jays-chicago--20120606,0,6453017.story) in the Tribune, it says Konerko had a similar procedure last year and missed 2 games...

Robin expects him back on Wednesday.

FielderJones
06-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Robin expects him back on Wednesday.

Today is Wednesday. Do you mean he's going to be out a week?

beasly213
06-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Today is Wednesday. Do you mean he's going to be out a week?

Sorry. I meant Thursday. He was talking during the Pre Game Show with Farmer yesterday and mentioned it.

Quentin08
06-06-2012, 01:51 PM
If he's back in the lineup Thursday, I'm definitely going. Thursday evening is supposed to be beautiful.. 77 and sunny at game time.. $5 tickets.. perfect!

kufram
06-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Every time the Captain goes into a little slump I should just assume there's a little injury. Nothing else seems to stop him hitting.

I can't see the games for a while but I wonder if there isn't more to the flu-like symptoms I've read a little about. Maybe our under-performances of late have just been illness as much as anything?

russ99
06-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Can someone with some sort of background in this please explain it? I get that he has bone fragments time and again, but is it just one? Is it just a piece of bone under the skin that is leftover from a break? I know he has had it moved to somewhere that it doesn't bother him, but is it just the sameone that keeps moving to somewhere that agitates his wrist? Couldn't it be removed during the offseason?

I think this is the same thing that he had last year.

A bone fragment that moves into a place where it's painful for him to swing, and they just move the fragment somewhere else.

As I recall, it's non-surgical, which is why Paul is only out a few days.

FielderJones
06-06-2012, 02:54 PM

A bone fragment that moves into a place where it's painful for him to swing, and they just move the fragment somewhere else.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110603&content_id=19975916&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws

Curious why he did not get this permanently fixed during the off-season.

MISoxfan
06-06-2012, 05:33 PM

Thanks, but I wonder where the fragment came from in the first place.

#1swisher
06-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Mark Gonzales
Konerko on his wrist procedure and possible post-season surgery (video):

http://www.chicagotribune.com/videogallery/70325109/Sports/Video-Konerko-discusses-left-wrist-procedure

EMachine10
06-06-2012, 07:18 PM

Right, the fragment is only moved. Konerko wants to have it removed this off-season.

TDog
06-06-2012, 07:24 PM
I wonder if this condition has contributed to his recent slump. As fans, we really have no idea how much pain players are playing through