PDA

View Full Version : Who does Danks replace?

JohnTucker0814
06-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Does Danks have a chance to move Humber out of the rotation? Quintana has pitched a lot better than Phil has these past few weeks...

It might be a tough decision for Robin, but one that I think he should make!

Noneck
06-05-2012, 09:16 PM
What role does that leave for Humber? A pitcher will have to be dropped when Danks returns.

sox1970
06-05-2012, 09:21 PM
I want Quintana to replace Humber, and I want Humber to replace Stewart.

Zakath
06-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Wouldn't mind him replacing Gavin. Floyd's ERA has absolutely ballooned in his last 4 starts.

DSpivack
06-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Wouldn't mind him replacing Gavin. Floyd's ERA has absolutely ballooned in his last 4 starts.

That ain't happening.

sox1970
06-05-2012, 09:29 PM

Floyd deserves the benefit of the doubt. His track record is a good June and July.

If Quintana puts up a quality start tomorrow night against a team that owns the Sox, he deserves to stay in the rotation.

JB98
06-05-2012, 09:30 PM

That won't happen. As much as Floyd irritates me with his inconsistency, his place in the rotation is secure. This isn't the first time Floyd has had four bad starts in a row. He'll often follow it up with four good ones in a row. He's just a streaky guy.

Lip Man 1
06-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Having Q on the roster if he's in the bullpen, would give the Sox four lefthanders which isn't going to happen.

I like the idea earlier in the thread, Danks to the rotation...Humber to the bullpen, Stewart gets dropped.

And the Sox will be looking for starting pitching come next month if they stay in this.

Lip

doublem23
06-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Anyone who thinks the answer is anyone but Quintana is fooling themselves

DSpivack
06-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Having Q on the roster if he's in the bullpen, would give the Sox four lefthanders which isn't going to happen.

I like the idea earlier in the thread, Danks to the rotation...Humber to the bullpen, Stewart gets dropped.

And the Sox will be looking for starting pitching come next monthif they stay in this.

Lip

I really don't think the Sox will be looking for a starter. Danks and Floyd may be somewhat of a disappointment thus far, but looking around the league there might not be another team with as much depth in the rotation. Plus, you only upgrade if you find a real upgrade and not a mediocre veteran; and I don't see the Sox making a trade for a real quality SP, as I don't think they have the pieces to trade for one.

Anyone who thinks the answer is anyone but Quintana is fooling themselves

Why do you think Humber's spot in the rotation is so secure?

doublem23
06-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Why do you think Humber's spot in the rotation is so secure?

Because I don't think KW is an idiot

DSpivack
06-05-2012, 11:28 PM

What's so great about Humber?

BainesHOF
06-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Will Ohman.

FoulTerritory
06-06-2012, 12:14 AM

Apparently you aren't seeing the same floyd and humber as me. Frankly, they both look terrible.....a veritable feast of walks and hanging curves.

As where Quintana looks sharp with command of his entire arsenal...

Crooked Number
06-06-2012, 12:43 AM
Will Ohman.

This is the guy. Either him or Stewart. Quintana can give you so much more than either of these two.

DSpivack
06-06-2012, 12:53 AM
This is the guy. Either him or Stewart. Quintana can give you so much more than either of these two.

I think I'd rather have Quintana starting in the minors rather than being the rarely used long guy in the bullpen.

DumpJerry
06-06-2012, 06:44 AM
IIRC, Humber is out of options. DFAing Ohman is an expensive option. As Lip points out, Quintana to the Bullpen for Stewart would make us left-heavy there unless Thornton is traded.

doublem23
06-06-2012, 07:04 AM
Apparently you aren't seeing the same floyd and humber as me. Frankly, they both look terrible.....a veritable feast of walks and hanging curves.

As where Quintana looks sharp with command of his entire arsenal...

He's also only pitched 16 innings and I'm sure no one has much of any tape on the guy as he never appeared above A+ ball before this season. I'm am as intrigued by Quintana as anyone, but the league is going to adjust to him soon. He's nice organizational depth right now, but inserting him into the rotation thinking he's going to give you another 20 or so starts and 150 more IP at this level is kind of a dream.

Humber's been worrisome. I'm not as troubled with Floyd, I don't think his struggles should be real news to anyone whose paid attention to the Sox for the last few years, this is just what he does.

At any rate, the Sox have probably the best pitching coaching staff in the Majors, so whatever they decide to do I'll defer to their knowledge which far surpasses anyone's here. Unless you think Humber or Floyd literally have nothing left in the tank and are completely worn out, I generally don't think it's a good idea to start giving away MLB-quality arms for nothing.

doublem23
06-06-2012, 07:07 AM
I think I'd rather have Quintana starting in the minors rather than being the rarely used long guy in the bullpen.

Exactly my point, somewhere along this road, the Sox are going to need another SP, either between the always precipitous injury risk that is Jake Peavy, or the young, untested arm of Chris Sale, who is likely to surpass his career high in IP at the MLB level in the 5th inning of his next start.

TomBradley72
06-06-2012, 07:26 AM
Exactly my point, somewhere along this road, the Sox are going to need another SP, either between the always precipitous injury risk that is Jake Peavy, or the young, untested arm of Chris Sale, who is likely to surpass his career high in IP at the MLB level in the 5th inning of his next start.

I'd have to agree- we should not be releasing/DFAing anyone at this stage of the season- and as frustrated as I am with Floyd/Humber/Stewart- Quintana is better served pitching every 5th day- because we're almost guaranteed to need another starter at some time this season.

With that said- the long relief role is actually getting alot of work due to Floyd/Humber's problems- so after a few more turns of the rotation- we have to replace someone-

The loss of Buehrle may catch up with us- ideally he's in the rotation, Humber is the long man and Stewart/Quintana would be providing depth at AAA.

tstrike2000
06-06-2012, 09:07 AM
What's so great about Humber?

Nothing so great, 7+ ERA over his last 8 starts.

slavko
06-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Who does Danks replace? (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2941551#post2941551) Himself. And I hope he's better than the last guy who was called Danks.

Hitmen77
06-06-2012, 09:16 AM
I'd feel better about the Sox chances this year if the back half of the rotation weren't so shaky.

First of all, they need for Danks to come back healthy and back to pitching up to his $65M contract.

I think they need to give Quintana a chance to see if he can work as our 5th starter. Humber looks terrible out there and so does Stewart. I would like to see how well Quintana can do in the rotation with Humber to the pen and Stewart to the minors.

Floyd isn't going anywhere. As frustrating as he can be, his spot in our rotation is a lock.

sox1970
06-06-2012, 09:29 AM
I'd feel better about the Sox chances this year if the back half of the rotation weren't so shaky.

First of all, they need for Danks to come back healthy and back to pitching up to his $65M contract.

I think they need to give Quintana a chance to see if he can work as our 5th starter. Humber looks terrible out there and so does Stewart. I would like to see how well Quintana can do in the rotation with Humber to the pen and Stewart to the minors.

Floyd isn't going anywhere. As frustrating as he can be, his spot in our rotation is a lock.

Agreed.

A rotation of Peavy, Sale, Danks, Floyd, and Quintana has good potential.

Humber is just too inconsistent. Besides the perfect game, even when he wins, he has a lot of Houdini innings. He's just better suited to come in for 3-4 innings when a starter just doesn't have it that day. That can be a valuable role to save Crain, Thornton, and Reed for the games they're in a better position to win.

Chez
06-06-2012, 09:37 AM
I think Quintana goes back to the minors to get regular work -- unless the Sox organization projects his future to be as a reliever.

Harry Chappas
06-06-2012, 09:37 AM
IIRC, Humber is out of options. DFAing Ohman is an expensive option. As Lip points out, Quintana to the Bullpen for Stewart would make us left-heavy there unless Thornton is traded.

I'd still prefer Quintana over Stewart. An almost 5.0 ERA for your long reliever isn't going to cut it. His job is to minimize damage when a starter gets roughed up. It seems like Stewart will always cough up a few more runs which usually puts the game out of reach.

I think Humber is just being Humber. He's had some great moments but I don't think he's much more than a back of the rotation guy and might be better suited for the pen. That said, I doubt Ventura is going to move him out unless Quintana goes out and throws another great game. If he does, then it'll be awfully hard to DFA him.

Tragg
06-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Ohman's pitched well actually. Why DFA him?
Stewart's terrible - that's who you replace. (who evaluated Stewart for the Sox out of the Jay's system?)
Quintana's done well. No reason not to leave him in the rotation for now.
It's imperative for Danks to get back to form, however. We need him to form a Peavy/Sale/Danks trio and he has the talent to do that.

Noneck
06-06-2012, 09:45 AM
At some point this season Sale will need a rest and miss some starts. The Sox will not and should not ride him this season. That will open up starts for someone else.

Zisk77
06-06-2012, 10:10 AM

And the Sox will be looking for starting pitching come next month if they stay in this.

Lip

I think Stewart get sent down and Quintana is the long man/spot starter. It doesn't matter that he is a 4th lefty as the long man isn't about match-ups anyway. When the dog days hit you could temporarily go 6 man rotation to give Jake abd Chris an extra days rest.

KMcMahon817
06-06-2012, 10:36 AM

This. I wouldn't be devastated if the SOX kept Quintana in the rotation if he pitches well today (Humber to BP, I guess). But it would be very stupid to keep him on the ML roster and not be in the rotation. We very well may need the depth if someone gets hurt. Send him back to AA to start if he is not in SOX rotation.

But honestly, Humber ain't goin' anywhere yet. Quintana will be back in AA when Danks comes back.

sox1970
06-06-2012, 10:43 AM
This. I wouldn't be devastated if the SOX kept Quintana in the rotation if he pitches well today (Humber to BP, I guess). But it would be very stupid to keep him on the ML roster on not be in the rotation. We very well may need the depth if someone gets hurt. Send him back to AA to start if he is not SOX rotation.

But honestly, Humber ain't goin' anywhere yet. Quintana will be back in AA when Danks comes back.

Humber will start Sunday, and Quintana could get another start on Tuesday in St. Louis before Danks can even come back. If Quintana has two more good starts while Humber may be average or bad vs Houston on Sunday, then the smart thing would be to keep Quintana in the rotation until the AS Break while they evaluate whether they need to make a trade.

Chez
06-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Trade Quintana to Washington for Edwin Jackson and his "boat-anchor contract." Then wait for the return of Khan.

KMcMahon817
06-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Trade Quintana to Washington for Edwin Jackson and his "boat-anchor contract." Then wait for the return of Khan.

Oh, Khan. Ahhh those were the days. Him and Craig Grebeck. Dearly missed...kind of.

JB98
06-06-2012, 01:19 PM
I think we just have to see how this week plays out. Tonight is a good test for Quintana. Toronto is only hitting .246 as a club, but they are second in the league in home runs (79) and third in the league in runs scored (269). It will be interesting to see if Quintana has enough stuff to keep this Toronto club from hitting the ball off the wall and over it. If he fares well, he makes the decision tougher when Danks comes off the DL.

As for Humber, he's allowed 48 hits and 24 walks for a total of 72 baserunners over his last 42.2 innings. Those are the kind of numbers that get pitchers demoted to the bullpen. His next start is Sunday against an Astros team that is absolutely hopeless on the road. If he can't hold Houston in check, then we have a problem (no pun intended).

If both Quintana and Humber pitch well in their next starts, then the Sox could put Quintana in the bullpen and demote Stewart. I think I'd lean toward sending Quintana back to the minors and keeping him stretched out to start. As others have noted, we'll need a sixth starter again at some point this season, and Quintana is that guy in my book.

Also, some have said it doesn't make sense for the Sox to have four lefties in the bullpen. Well, why not? Right-handed batters are hitting .400 against the right-handed Stewart. It isn't like Stewart can be used as a situational pitcher. Even Ohman, who is nothing more than a LOOGY, retires right-handed batters at a greater rate than Stewart. The supposed righty-vs.-righty advantage is no benefit for young Zach. I wouldn't put Quintana in the bullpen either, but it wouldn't be because I'm fearful of having too many lefties down there.

Lip Man 1
06-06-2012, 03:19 PM
JB:

I didn't say it doesn't make sense. I said I can't see the Sox doing it because four left handers doesn't give Robin a lot of options.

Lip

JB98
06-06-2012, 04:03 PM
JB:

I didn't say it doesn't make sense. I said I can't see the Sox doing it because four left handers doesn't give Robin a lot of options.

Lip

Stewart doesn't give Robin a lot of options either. He can only pitch when the game is out of reach.

The Sox are no worse off with a fourth lefty than they are with Stewart, who is ineffective against right-handed hitters.

The reason to send Quintana back to the minors is to keep him stretched out for future spot starts in the big leagues.