PDA

View Full Version : Sox draft OF Courtney Hawkins in First Round

Wedema
06-04-2012, 07:59 PM
The Sox used the 13th overall pick on high school outfielder Courtney Hawkins from Carroll, TX. Hawkins puts on his new Sox jersey and hat and does a backflip on stage a la Ozzie Smith.

sox1970
06-04-2012, 07:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnibzRW0Cjc&feature=youtu.be

DirtySox
06-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Some discussion in the draft thread for those interested.

Thome25
06-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Is he related to the former NFL WR of the same name?

DumpJerry
06-04-2012, 08:24 PM
He's also a hurler.

TDog
06-04-2012, 08:44 PM
He's also a hurler.

I see that he is the Texas high school player of the year, as a big hitter, an unhittable pitcher and a base stealer. Maybe he looks like a six-tool player, and a good kid to boot. Interesting that the White Sox drafted him as an outfielder. Sometimes positions don't mean that much in the draft. The Rays drafted a college third baseman in the first round, and it's not like they need a third baseman.

High school players are often scouted by different teams at different positions. LaMarr Hoyt was scouted by five teams at five positions.

As a high school player, Hawkins isn't as close as college players are expected to be. He seems happy with his selection. I hope he signs. He may be the sort of player who can be developed to be a strong defensive player. And if he can't hit at the professional level, the Sox might believe they can develop him into a pitcher, without having had the wear of a college pitching career.

Time will have to tell, but this could prove to be a pretty good draft choice.

DumpJerry
06-04-2012, 08:49 PM
I see that he is the Texas high school player of the year, as a big hitter, an unhittable pitcher and a base stealer. Maybe he looks like a six-tool player, and a good kid to boot. Interesting that the White Sox drafted him as an outfielder. Sometimes positions don't mean that much in the draft.
With season-long interleague play starting next year, it won't hurt to have a pitcher who can hit.

Dibbs
06-04-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm just glad he didn't tear his ACL or something doing a back flip in that outfit!

HomeFish
06-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Historically, if the White Sox drafted him he'll probably end up being terrible. But I like his attitude and I hope he does great things for this team. Kid looks like he loves the game.

SI1020
06-04-2012, 09:18 PM
I'm just glad he didn't tear his ACL or something doing a back flip in that outfit! He actually looked pretty smooth. I'd give it about a 7 or 7.5.

TDog
06-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Historically, if the White Sox drafted him he'll probably end up being terrible. But I like his attitude and I hope he does great things for this team. Kid looks like he loves the game.

The White Sox manager might beg to differ.

thomas35forever
06-04-2012, 09:22 PM
See you at the Cell in 2017, Courtney.

sox1970
06-04-2012, 09:22 PM
The White Sox manager might beg to differ.

What would Jason Dallaero, Kris Honel, and Jason Stumm say?

soltrain21
06-04-2012, 09:29 PM
See you at the Cell in 2017, Courtney.

Not with how the Sox have been operating lately. 2014 or so.

thomas35forever
06-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Not with how the Sox have been operating lately. 2014 or so.
It's a high school kid. A bit of a difference here (I hope).

sox1970
06-04-2012, 09:36 PM
2017 seems about right if everything goes right. One level per year.

TDog
06-04-2012, 09:54 PM
What would Jason Dallaero, Kris Honel, and Jason Stumm say?

I don't know, but Ventura sent Chris Sale to the mound Sunday and started Gordon Beckham at second.

NardiWasHere
06-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Fire KW! Sox should have drafted Rick Porcello a few years ago!

UofCSoxFan
06-04-2012, 11:17 PM
I don't know, but Ventura sent Chris Sale to the mound Sunday and started Gordon Beckham at second.

Throw Addision Reed (also from 2010) in there as well. Nate Jones (2007) and Hector Santiago (2006) have been solid contributors as well.

SoxSpeed22
06-04-2012, 11:42 PM
I think I could get used to rooting for this kid, he seems to have the work ethic and passion, along with the talent, to be a good player in the majors.
MLB is definitely a league where you want as much talent as possible so taking BPA is the way to go. The Rays don't know what's going to happen with Longoria in 4 years, even if he's still a high-caliber player, they can always trade Shaffer to get someone else to fill a need.

HomeFish
06-05-2012, 12:02 AM
It's questionable to call Beckham a success.

UofCSoxFan
06-05-2012, 12:21 AM
It's questionable to call Beckham a success.

Who on this list in the first round (or supplemental) would you have taken over Beckham, even with the benefit of hindsight?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Major_League_Baseball_Draft

Two players picked BEFORE Beckham haven't even made the majors yet. The first overlall pick has been suspended 50 games for a second failed drug test. The pick immediately AFTER Beckham didn't even sign with his team.

I believe Beckham has the most career HRs of any player taken that round and he plays gold glove caliber 2nd base. He had a very good rookie campaign and is still coming into his own (as is pretty much everyone else from that draft class). He's played a significant role on a team that's made the playoffs and as well as this team, which currently is in first place. That is more than can be said for many players in this draft.

Given career to date results, I'd choose Posey and possibly Hosmer over Beckham in that class. No one else is close. That first round is filled with busts so far...some may pan out, but Beckham has been a overwhelming success thus far compared to other options.

You can't deny Beckham as a successful draft pick when comparably he's probably the 3rd best pick of that draft and looks to be getting better.

DSpivack
06-05-2012, 12:26 AM
Who on this list in the first round (or supplemental) would you have taken over Beckham, even with the benefit of hindsight?

Two players picked BEFORE Beckham haven't even made the majors yet. The first overlall pick has been suspended 50 games for PEDs. The pick immediately AFTER Beckham didn't even sign with his team.

FYI, Tim Beckham was suspended 50 games for a drug of abuse, not PEDs; that was his second violation of MiLB's substance abuse policy.

UofCSoxFan
06-05-2012, 12:34 AM
FYI, Tim Beckham was suspended 50 games for a drug of abuse, not PEDs; that was his second violation of MiLB's substance abuse policy.

Thanks...I'll edit my post above. That almost makes it worse as that's more likely a larger obstacle to overcome.

WhiteSox5187
06-05-2012, 12:43 AM

Two players picked BEFORE Beckham haven't even made the majors yet. The first overlall pick has been suspended 50 games for a second failed drug test. The pick immediately AFTER Beckham didn't even sign with his team.

I believe Beckham has the most career HRs of any player taken that round and he plays gold glove caliber 2nd base. He had a very good rookie campaign and is still coming into his own (as is pretty much everyone else from that draft class). He's played a significant role on a team that's made the playoffs and as well as this team, which currently is in first place. That is more than can be said for many players in this draft.

Given career to date results, I'd choose Posey and possibly Hosmer over Beckham in that class. No one else is close. That first round is filled with busts so far...some may pan out, but Beckham has been a overwhelming success thus far compared to other options.

You can't deny Beckham as a successful draft pick when comparably he's probably the 3rd best pick of that draft and looks to be getting better.

While we did draft Beckham and Sale they spent about two months or so combined in our system so what "development" there was was done either in college or at the major league level. Obviously with two guys fresh out of high school there will need to be a lot of development at the minor league level and historically the White Sox have done a crappy job developing guys.

hawkjt
06-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Hawkins was listed at 6'3'' 220lbs....and can run.
The #2 pick was another HS kid...a Fred McGriff lookalike who is at 6'5'' 220lbs....1st baseman.
Big,athletic guys,both. Power and speed. Hope they pan out as good as they looked in the clips on MLBNetwork.

wilburaga
06-05-2012, 05:36 AM
Hey, he's already outperformed Eddie Pearson and Jason Dallaero.

06-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Hawkins weighed 270 lbs as a 13 year old! He worked his butt off to lose weight and get into shape. He was down to 180 when he was a Sophmore.

At least this shows he is willing to put his mind to something he wants to accomplish and be successful at it!

TheOldRoman
06-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Hawkins weighed 270 lbs as a 13 year old! He worked his butt off to lose weight and get into shape. He was down to 180 when he was a Sophmore.

At least this shows he is willing to put his mind to something he wants to accomplish and be successful at it!:o:

hawkjt
06-05-2012, 09:42 AM

At least this shows he is willing to put his mind to something he wants to accomplish and be successful at it!

Sounds like Tank....who has really done a great job of honing his body...remember when fans thought he was too fat?

Harry Chappas
06-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Is there any professional draft harder to predict (future success) than MLB? In the NFL, you'll get a handful of first round busts, but even then, they'll likely contribute something before moving on. Same with the NBA. But a large number of First Round MLB picks won't ever make it to the big club and the perennial all-stars are as likely to be drafted in the later rounds as the first.

It's fun to follow but it's futile to assign "grades" and get your panties in a bunch over someone the Sox did or didn't draft.

That said, I'm actually excited about the first two picks since they appear to have high ceilings and are young enough to hone their game in the minors for 5-6 years.

salty99
06-05-2012, 11:00 AM
With season-long interleague play starting next year, it won't hurt to have a pitcher who can hit.

I'd like to see rosters expand to 26/27 players for this reason or just get rid of pitchers hitting.

TDog
06-05-2012, 12:23 PM
I'd like to see rosters expand to 26/27 players for this reason or just get rid of pitchers hitting.

I haven't seen anything resembling a schedule plan for next year, but I don't believe there will be more, certainly appreciably more, interleague games next year. There will need to be one interleague series going on at all times, but that only means they won't be bunched together as they are now.

I don't see MLB expanding the rosters, and I don't see the DH being expanded to the National League. Still, with all the frustration I read at WSI over the White Sox not being able to use the DH in National League ballparks, I think the White Sox have won something like 17 of their last 21 non-DH regular-season games since 2010.

doublem23
06-05-2012, 12:26 PM
I don't see MLB expanding the rosters, and I don't see the DH being expanded to the National League. Still, with all the frustration I read at WSI over the White Sox not being able to use the DH in National League ballparks, I think the White Sox have won something like 17 of their last 21 non-DH regular-season games since 2010.

To play Devil's Advocate, almost 1/2 of those games (9) were against the Cubs

TDog
06-05-2012, 02:22 PM
To play Devil's Advocate, almost 1/2 of those games (9) were against the Cubs

Before this year since 2010, the Sox haven't swept the Cubs in Wrigley Field. Exclude the Cubs, and the White Sox still played better without the DH in 2010 and 2011 than they did against last-place American League teams. They even won a game strated by pre-injury Stephen Strasburg, (a pitcher they hadn't previously faced).

HomeFish
06-05-2012, 03:54 PM
They even won a game strated by pre-injury Stephen Strasburg, (a pitcher they hadn't previously faced).

The White Sox were the first team to face Strasburg and not lose to him. Strasburg pitched well enough to win, but the Nationals bullpen gave it up, leaving him with a no-decision.

The Braves handed Strasburg his first career loss the next week, I think.

PalehosePlanet
06-05-2012, 04:04 PM
The White Sox were the first team to face Strasburg and not lose to him. Strasburg pitched well enough to win, but the Nationals bullpen gave it up, leaving him with a no-decision.

The Braves handed Strasburg his first career loss the next week, I think.

Wrong, he was on the hook for the loss, but Gavin gave up a two out run scoring double to Adam Dunn in the bottom of the 7th and The Nats tied it at 1. We won the game in the 11th on an infield hit by Rios, 2-1.

That was the stretch back in 2010 when Gavin was unhittable and won Pitcher of the Month honors.