PDA

View Full Version : Red Line

dickallen15
06-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Looks like the South Branch of the Red Line will be closed for 5 months beginning Spring of 2013. This is not going to help the Sox.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-cta-to-announce-plans-for-refurbishing-dan-ryan-branch-of-red-line-20120604,0,2059367.story

DumpJerry
06-04-2012, 01:06 PM
The train won't be there for you (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-cta-to-announce-plans-for-refurbishing-dan-ryan-branch-of-red-line-20120604,0,2059367.story).

The Green Line is just east of the Red Line at 35th, so this should not be too bad of an inconvenience. It also might not be for the whole season since they are reporting it will be for five months and there is no mention of when it will start other than "Spring."

DonnieDarko
06-04-2012, 01:06 PM
It's a good thing for the CTA, at least. The track on the South portion of the Red Line is absolutely atrocious.

DumpJerry
06-04-2012, 01:08 PM
This is not going to help the Sox.
Naw. The Green Line is a fine substitute.

dickallen15
06-04-2012, 01:12 PM

I just wonder if the 35th St. Green Line station can handle the crowd. I hope the CTA is planning for more business there.

doublem23
06-04-2012, 01:14 PM

Yeah, the Red Line will be open to Cermak-Chinatown so you can either take the subway to Roosevelt and just walk upstairs and catch the Green Line to 35th Street, or a nice day, just walk the last mile to the park.

Hopefully the Sox will have a spike in season ticket sales coming off their 2012 World Series title, so it won't hurt as bad in the short term, and the long term pay-offs of finally fixing the ridiculous amount of slow zone on the Dan Ryan leg of the Red Line will pay off big in the long run. Seriously, sometimes it takes me as long to get from Harrison to Sox-35th as it does to get from Belmont to Harrison. Ridiculous.

sachin
06-04-2012, 01:18 PM
If I were working in the Loop, I'd take Metra from LaSalle/Van Buren to Sox Park. It's easy from any part of the Loop, you can catch the Brown, Purple, Pink or Blue and you're right there -- if on the Red Line, take it to State & Lake and switch to the aforementioned colors, or just hop on the Green Line.

I always take Metra to Sox Park, though, so this has ZERO impact on me and my transportation to the games.

doublem23
06-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Actually it looks like it won't affect too many people. If you take the Red Line to and from games, they will be rerouting them to the Green Line elevated. You'll still be able to board the Red Line at any station north of the construction and essentially take the train right to the park's front door. Looks like the only people who really get boned in all of this are people who live in Chinatown. When's that Green Line stop at Cermak supposed to be done?

Map from the CTA: http://www.transitchicago.com/redsouth/

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/maps/DRTreroutes_May2012tentative.gif

dickallen15
06-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Actually it looks like it won't affect too many people. If you take the Red Line to and from games, they will be rerouting them to the Green Line elevated. You'll still be able to board the Red Line at any station north of the construction and essentially take the train right to the park's front door. Looks like the only people who really get boned in all of this are people who live in Chinatown. When's that Green Line stop at Cermak supposed to be done?

Map from the CTA: http://www.transitchicago.com/redsouth/

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/maps/DRTreroutes_May2012tentative.gif

The Green Line 35th St. station actually used to be the Red Line 35th street station. I think they switched in 1991.

DSpivack
06-04-2012, 01:41 PM
The Green Line 35th St. station actually used to be the Red Line 35th street station. I think they switched in 1991.

Huh? The Red Line has always run on the Dan Ryan tracks, no? It's not like they can switch over there.

doublem23
06-04-2012, 01:41 PM

February 1993. They needed to make the switch to free up space in the Loop for the soon-to-open Orange Line.

doublem23
06-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Huh? The Red Line has always run on the Dan Ryan tracks, no? It's not like they can switch over there.

No, when the Dan Ryan branch was built it was part of the Green Line, with trains running from 95th to Harlem in Oak Park via the Loop, whereas the North Side Red Line was paired with the Englewood/Jackson Park forks. They didn't switch them until they built the connection from the State Street Subway to the Dan Ryan branch in the early 90s when they built the elevated Roosevelt station.

CTA Map from 1991 shows the old configuration: http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/maps/1991map.jpg

Harry Potter
06-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Well, looks like we've already established our excuse for poor attendance next year!

roylestillman
06-04-2012, 01:50 PM
No, when the Dan Ryan branch was built it was part of the Green Line, with trains running from 95th to Harlem in Oak Park via the Loop, whereas the North Side Red Line was paired with the Englewood/Jackson Park forks. They didn't switch them until they built the connection from the State Street Subway to the Dan Ryan branch in the early 90s when they built the elevated Roosevelt station.

CTA Map from 1991 shows the old configuration: http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/maps/1991map.jpg

...as in "change for da Lake, da Dan Ryan."

DSpivack
06-04-2012, 01:51 PM

Didn't know that, thanks! Love seeing the old A/B stops on that map, too.

chisoxfanatic
06-04-2012, 02:49 PM
It probably won't happen, but this is a good reason for the Sox to decrease their parking costs.

jdm2662
06-04-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm glad I discovered the green line a few years ago. Easier access to Metra line, and it's much less congested.

doublem23
06-04-2012, 02:58 PM
It probably won't happen, but this is a good reason for the Sox to decrease their parking costs.

I'm not really sure why as there doesn't appear to be much, if any, loss in CTA service to the park, though, if this causes an increase in demand for parking, then basic econ would tell you the Sox would be wiser to increase their rates, not that I expect them to do that.

SephClone89
06-04-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm not really sure why as there doesn't appear to be much, if any, loss in CTA service to the park, though, if this causes an increase in demand for parking, then basic econ would tell you the Sox would be wiser to increase their rates, not that I expect them to do that.

Yes, but no chance people go out of their way to work around this problem. They'll say "this is too complicated now; **** it."

DumpJerry
06-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Why? The track work won't result in an uptick in people driving to the games. They'll just hop on the Green Line tracks.

vinny
06-04-2012, 03:46 PM

CTA didn't start calling the lines by colors until 1993, when they realigned the through routes. So saying the Dan Ryan line was originally part of the Green Line is incorrect or at least misleading. When the Dan Ryan line opened it was part of the West-South route (Lake-Dan Ryan) while the North-South route was Howard-Englewood/Jackson Park:

http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/maps/1970elevated.jpg

The system map color-coded the lines in 1985 (http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/maps/1985map.jpg) but the routes weren't called by those colors; in fact, green was generally the color used for "B" stop station signage from 1969 (when the Dan Ryan line went into revenue service) until 1995 (when all skip stops were eliminated). Red was the "A" stop sign color and blue was used for "A/B" stops.

Noneck
06-04-2012, 03:57 PM

Decrease? I was thinking increase.

Max Power
06-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Cool, it'll be just like the old days- when I first starting taking the el to Sox games.

doublem23
06-04-2012, 04:17 PM
CTA didn't start calling the lines by colors until 1993, when they realigned the through routes. So saying the Dan Ryan line was originally part of the Green Line is incorrect or at least misleading. When the Dan Ryan line opened it was part of the West-South route (Lake-Dan Ryan) while the North-South route was Howard-Englewood/Jackson Park:

http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/maps/1970elevated.jpg

The system map color-coded the lines in 1985 (http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/maps/1985map.jpg) but the routes weren't called by those colors; in fact, green was generally the color used for "B" stop station signage from 1969 (when the Dan Ryan line went into revenue service) until 1995 (when all skip stops were eliminated). Red was the "A" stop sign color and blue was used for "A/B" stops.

Yeah, I know, I just figured it'd be easier to not have to explain all that, too.

DumpJerry
06-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Come on, who doesn't remember the Ho-Dar? (Howard-Dan Ryan Line)

WhiteSox5187
06-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Work on the red line is long over due as it takes forever to go from 35th to Chinatown but as I live in Bridgeport and take the Red Line everyday this is going to be quite a pain.

LITTLE NELL
06-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Work on the red line is long over due as it takes forever to go from 35th to Chinatown but as I live in Bridgeport and take the Red Line everyday this is going to be quite a pain.

Why does it take so long, IIRC there isn't a station between 22nd st and 35th.

ilsox7
06-04-2012, 04:56 PM
The story in the Tribune is full of a lot of quotes from some really stupid people.

soxgirl617
06-04-2012, 05:22 PM
IMHO the CTA really "buried the lead" in its online explanation. The fact that the Red Line will still run, albeit on the Green Line tracks between Roosevelt and Ashland/63rd, is huge. Unfortunately, the CTA explanation doesn't address that until well down the page, and even then doesn't really highlight it.

That means no changing trains from the Red Line to the Green Line going to or from games. For Sox fans, the change really just means having to walk three additional blocks to and from The Cell. The closures of the tracks will really stink for those who use the closed stations daily, but it shouldn't be a big deal for Sox fans.

DumpJerry
06-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Why does it take so long, IIRC there isn't a station between 22nd st and 35th.
Track conditions.

JB98
06-04-2012, 06:18 PM
I'm glad I discovered the green line a few years ago. Easier access to Metra line, and it's much less congested.

No kidding. We use the green line frequently. Much less crowded, especially postgame.

slavko
06-05-2012, 12:40 AM
Track conditions.

A jarring, scary ride like a cheap roller coaster. Fix those tracks!

UofCSoxFan
06-05-2012, 12:54 AM
Green line is a fine substitute....just don't take it South from 35th by mistake. In fact I think this impacts the University of Chicago worse....the Green Line Garfield stop IS much sketchier than the Red Line Garfield stop.

DSpivack
06-05-2012, 01:22 AM
Green line is a fine substitute....just don't take it South from 35th by mistake. In fact I think this impacts the University of Chicago worse....the Green Line Garfield stop IS much sketchier than the Red Line Garfield stop.

Do many U of C students use the El? Both stops are a bit west of Hyde Park with some of the most violent areas of Chicago in between. One of my best friends, a U of C grad student, has a bus that happens to stop right in front of her apartment and gets downtown quicker than any train line, anyway. And my aunt takes the South Shore line to work in the Loop every day.

jdm2662
06-05-2012, 10:40 AM

I don't really have a reason to go south of 35th anyway... My my friend once fell asleep on the red line and ended up at 95th st. Let's just say he didn't have his wallet when he came home.

sachin
06-05-2012, 01:37 PM
I don't really have a reason to go south of 35th anyway... My my friend once fell asleep on the red line and ended up at 95th st. Let's just say he didn't have his wallet when he came home.

I've taken it to 95th several times, then jump on either the 95W or 389 Pace Bus. Never had a problem, and I sit in the front car. Now that I can take Metra to the Sox games, though, the closing of the Red Line has little- to no impact on me.

doublem23
02-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Bumping an old thread, but the timelines have been officially released by the CTA.

Dan Ryan branch of the Red Line closes May 19 and is scheduled to reopen October 19 just in time for the World Series.

http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/cta/redeye-cta-unveils-plans-for-red-line-shutdown-i-nmay-20130221,0,1500109.story

kittle42
02-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Bumping an old thread, but the timelines have been officially released by the CTA.

Dan Ryan branch of the Red Line closes May 19 and is scheduled to reopen October 19 just in time for the World Series.

http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/cta/redeye-cta-unveils-plans-for-red-line-shutdown-i-nmay-20130221,0,1500109.story

Go Green Line, as the slogan once said.

Can't wait for those 10k crowds when other people think there is no longer a convenient way to get down there.

mrfourni
02-21-2013, 05:07 PM
The thing I don't understand is why doesn't it make more sense for them to work north to south and open up stations the further south the construction goes? It would seem that way it would be easier to run shuttle busses between closed stations by hopping on and off the Dan Ryan.

Maybe I'm missing something.

DSpivack
02-21-2013, 05:14 PM
The thing I don't understand is why doesn't it make more sense for them to work north to south and open up stations the further south the construction goes? It would seem that way it would be easier to run shuttle busses between closed stations by hopping on and off the Dan Ryan.

That might be more trouble than it's worth, plus you can't turn a train around everywhere, there might not be a switch after every stop.

HomeFish
02-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Do many U of C students use the El? Both stops are a bit west of Hyde Park with some of the most violent areas of Chicago in between. One of my best friends, a U of C grad student, has a bus that happens to stop right in front of her apartment and gets downtown quicker than any train line, anyway. And my aunt takes the South Shore line to work in the Loop every day.

Plenty of students take the 55 bus to Green or Red line. There are other buses that go downtown, but buses are subject to traffic in ways that trains are not.

DumpJerry
02-21-2013, 10:28 PM

They considered that, but realized it would take a few years to complete. This would get it all done at once.

doublem23
02-21-2013, 11:59 PM
They considered that, but realized it would take a few years to complete. This would get it all done at once.

This needs to happen. I've ridden almost every inch of L track in this town and I can positively say the Red Line south of the subway if the absolute worst.