PDA

View Full Version : Jorge Soler

BigHurt3515
06-03-2012, 07:30 PM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/8004119/source-mlb-teams-submit-bids-cuban-free-agent-jorge-soler-june-7

Let the bidding begin!!

Hope the Sox make a run for him. We have had great success with Cubans in the past and it would be awesome to have another one waiting in the minors.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-03-2012, 07:43 PM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/8004119/source-mlb-teams-submit-bids-cuban-free-agent-jorge-soler-june-7

Let the bidding begin!!

Hope the Sox make a run for him. We have had great success with Cubans in the past and it would be awesome to have another one waiting in the minors.

I thought it was a given that he was going to the Cubs when he was cleared to play.

BigHurt3515
06-03-2012, 07:54 PM
I thought it was a given that he was going to the Cubs when he was cleared to play.

That is what I thought awhile ago to but I guess not yet. Im sure they are still the top team but hopefully Soler wants a chance to actually win.

DirtySox
06-03-2012, 08:10 PM
He is going to get upward of $20 million. I love Soler, but I don't see it happening.

balke
06-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Where's he gonna play?!

DirtySox
06-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Where's he gonna play?!

In Low-A.

cws05champ
06-04-2012, 08:04 AM
In Low-A.

But hopefully be ready in a couple years when Rios leaves.

kittle42
06-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Cubs got him, outbidding the Yankees.

cws05champ
06-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Cubs got him, outbidding the Yankees.

Seemed like a forgone conclusion....wish the Sox would have gotten more involved.

Jerko
06-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Soler spelled backwards from the middle and then normally after that = loser.

doublem23
06-11-2012, 03:29 PM
9 years, $30 M

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-cubs/cubs-talk/Report-Cubs-acquire-Cuban-OF-Soler?blockID=722942&feedID=661&awid=8446109309812271745-915

CPditka
06-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Expensive, but given how bare their farm is, they had to do it.

One could make the same argumement for us though (other than the White Sox have a MUCH better current roster).

Foulke You
06-11-2012, 07:44 PM
$30 million is a lot of money to commit to someone who has never once faced MLB pitching before. So many young prospects just never pan out. It may work out great in the end for the Cubs but that is a huge gamble. I'd rather KW take that money and invest in multiple prospects rather than dump it into one unproven youngster. Soler isn't like Cespedes or Alexei Ramirez ready to step in immediately. He probably draws a closer comparison to Viciedo who is going to have to blossom a few years in the minors before getting called up.

DumpJerry
06-11-2012, 09:14 PM
$30 million is a lot of money to commit to someone who has never once faced MLB pitching before. So many young prospects just never pan out. It may work out great in the end for the Cubs but that is a huge gamble. I'd rather KW take that money and invest in multiple prospects rather than dump it into one unproven youngster. Soler isn't like Cespedes or Alexei Ramirez ready to step in immediately. He probably draws a closer comparison to Viciedo who is going to have to blossom a few years in the minors before getting called up.
It's 3.33M per year on average (I don't know if there are different levels each year). I think it's a good contract because if he does pan out, and I think he'll be in The Show and will have a measure of success there, and they won't lose him to free agency right away. This gives the Cubs an opportunity to benefit from the development work they put into him. The Sox, on the other hand, could lose Viciedo after this year. Viciedo's agent is Borass. Torres was Viciedo's agent when he signed with the Sox.

If he does not pan out as a stud player, I'm sure there will be someone down the road who will trade for him because in five years 3.33M could be a bargain for a supersub.

Lip Man 1
06-11-2012, 09:21 PM
I may be wrong but I don't think he can hit the free agent market after this season.

Could someone check and clairfy?

Lip

DumpJerry
06-11-2012, 09:25 PM
I may be wrong but I don't think he can hit the free agent market after this season.

Lip
I don't know what the rules are, but his contract end in 2012. There are no options mentioned at Cot's.

Here is what I want to know (and will never find out): why didn't the Yankees try to outbid the Cubs? Did they see something in him that said he's not work more than what the Cubs signed him for or did they just feel nine years is too long for a commitment for someone not named "Derek Jeter" or "Alex Rodriquez?"

Foulke You
06-11-2012, 10:13 PM

Lip

Lip, I think you are right about Viciedo. I seem to remember hearing he is under Sox control for at least a couple more years before he becomes an unrestricted FA. Not sure about the details though.

russ99
06-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Lip, I think you are right about Viciedo. I seem to remember hearing he is under Sox control for at least a couple more years before he becomes an unrestricted FA. Not sure about the details though.

Doesn't matter when the contract runs out, players are under their first team's control for 6 years of major league service.

Since Viciedo's service time started June 17, 2010, and he's been sent down (<1 year service time on opening day this year) the Sox have Viciedo under control until fall 2017. That said, with his contract, agent and bump in performance, he'll be getting paid more than other players with his service time the next few years. He may qualify for super 2 arbitration after next season.

Also, this is why Alexei wasn't a free agent last offseason when his contract ran out. They just signed him to a new one.

doublem23
06-11-2012, 11:54 PM

Lip

Like any other player who has only been on an MLB roster for 4 years, Viciedo is not eligible for FA until after the 2017 season. He's in his pre-arb years until the 2014 season and then he has arbitration for 2015-2017. The rules are all the same for all players

Foulke You
06-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Doesn't matter when the contract runs out, players are under their first team's control for 6 years of major league service.

Since Viciedo's service time started June 17, 2010, and he's been sent down (<1 year service time on opening day this year) the Sox have Viciedo under control until fall 2017. That said, with his contract, agent and bump in performance, he'll be getting paid more than other players with his service time the next few years. He may qualify for super 2 arbitration after next season.

Also, this is why Alexei wasn't a free agent last offseason when his contract ran out. They just signed him to a new one.
To clarify, what is the difference between Super 2 and regular arbitration? Is it based on years or peformance?