PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 'A Complete Sale's Pitch' SEA vs SOX 6/3 Post Game Thread

soxinem1
06-03-2012, 04:53 PM
What more could Sale have done to get the team back on the winning track? WOW!

Sale knew there would not be a lot backing him up today, so he stepped up and did the job. Other than the bomb by Olivo, he was on.... Again!

Big play by Escobar in LF to lead up to that DP happening in the ninth.

That is the work of an ace in the making.

Maybe Bacon should have his parents at all the games. :D:

EDIT: Damn, I thought he had Olivo K'd!! Well, he did, but six pitches later!!

SephClone89
06-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Remember that time when Chris Sale was named closer a month ago?

palehozenychicty
06-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Like I said, let the boy throw!

Boondock Saint
06-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Complete monster performance from Sale today. Knowing that the entire bullpen put in work yesterday, he stepped up big time, put it all on himself and went the full nine, only giving up the one HR. This kid is going to be really damn good for a long time as long as his body cooperates.

thomas35forever
06-03-2012, 04:59 PM
We closed the deal on this Sale today.

OmahaSoxFan
06-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Looks like Sale is throwing a challenge out there the way he is pitching lately, to Peavy, for who wants to be the Sox staff "ace!" Awesome job pitching by Chris today to limit the damage with the Sox' "B team batting order today," pitching a heck of a game and save a tired bullpen. And to think, earlier this season it looked like he was going to the 'pen... Simply awesome!

Beckham is finally showing signs of turning things around and becoming a darn good 2B, and a decent hitter as well... just when almost everyone here was calling for a demotion to Charlotte earlier this year (including myself).

Another series win, and maybe another chance to pick up another game on the Toons!

voodoochile
06-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Great job by Chris and the bullpen needed the extra rest too. Of course the really big news of the day is that Tank drew a walk.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana:

Danielgosox38
06-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Ventura and this team have made White Sox baseball a lot of fun to watch again!!!:bandance:

BigHurt3515
06-03-2012, 05:04 PM
IF Sale continues this pace he will be the starter in the all-star game! Who would of thunk it?

twinsuck
06-03-2012, 05:05 PM
I love Chris Sale.

Corlose 15
Huge performance by Sale today and great job by the Sox in rebounding after a game they should've won.

LITTLE NELL
What a great job, complete game win by Sale after the whole bullpen was used yesterday.
Just what the doctor ordered.

OmahaSoxFan
06-03-2012, 05:07 PM
IF Sale continues this pace he will be the starter in the all-star game! Who would of thunk it?

That's awesome, hopefully Chris can keep it up!

SoxSpeed22
06-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Sale gets the pen plenty of rest, I think they could have done better against Millwood, but a win's a win.

Brian26
06-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Short playoff series, I'll take my chances with Sale and Peavy right now. I'm talking to you, Texas.

Lip Man 1
06-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Now THAT'S what I call a good day.

Sale (who is on fire) gives the bullpen a badly needed break...

They take the series...

Detroit lost...

As of now, Cleveland is losing...

WINNING IS FUN, FUN IS WINNING.

:D:

Lip

Zakath
06-03-2012, 05:10 PM
We left a lot of guys on, which could have come back to haunt us.

Sunday lineup did pretty well with a lot of the big guys out. Flowers and Escobar at the bottom were key (Flowers 2-4, Escobar 2-2 with 2 BB's). Rios with 2 key RBI, one to tie the game, the other to stretch the lead to 2.

Be nice if Minnesota held on to open the gap to 2 1/2.

Need to continue this after the off-day with Toronto coming in (a last-place team that's 2 over .500).

Tragg
06-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Short playoff series, I'll take my chances with Sale and Peavy right now. I'm talking to you, Texas.

Yep
The Rangers achilles heel - top end starting pitching.

Lip Man 1
06-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Also I wonder, if the Sox are going to be looking for starting pitching, if Millwood is now on that list (with maybe Garza and Dempster...). He didn't look bad today and has pitched very well the last six weeks (hey at least as good as Floyd!)

:smile:

Lip

Lip Man 1
06-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Zakath:

Well the "Sunday lineup" did at least have two, two out RBI's if I'm not mistaken.

Lip

Zakath
06-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Zakath:

Well the "Sunday lineup" did at least have two, two out RBI's if I'm not mistaken.

Lip

Yes, Lillibridge in the second drawing a walk, and Rios' single off of Millwood's foot in the fourth that could have plated 2.

October26
06-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Great job by Chris and the bullpen needed the extra rest too. Of course the really big news of the day is that Tank drew a walk.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana:

HA! Tank walked. :bandance:

Seriously, what a fantastic outing for Chris Sale, saving the Sox bullpen today. And kudos to the Sox bench players for playing well and getting the W. Great win! :D:

Boondock Saint
06-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Sale now leads the AL in ERA, is tied for most wins, is 7th in strikeouts, and has the 4th best WHIP, behind Verlander, Weaver and Peavy. Very cool stuff.

TomBradley72
06-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Bullpen + AJ + PK = De Aza get a full 2 days of rest = huge.

If Escobar can play a decent OF- he might replace Lillibridge as the 'super sub"- he draws walks, switch hitter and Lilli just looks lost.

We were 6 under .500 a year ago at this time- great job Mr. Ventura!

Brian26
06-03-2012, 05:23 PM
If Cleveland loses, the Sox would have a 2.5 game lead. Would that be their biggest lead since 2008? I don't recall them ever breaking it that far open in their short 1st place stays in 2009 and 2010.

Tragg
06-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Also I wonder, if the Sox are going to be looking for starting pitching, if Millwood is now on that list (with maybe Garza and Dempster...). He didn't look bad today and has pitched very well the last six weeks (hey at least as good as Floyd!)

LipNot to belabor but he gave up 5 walks and 7 hits in 4 innings and his WHIP this year is near 1.4.
Milwood is much worse than floyd.

TomBradley72
06-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Sale now leads the AL in ERA, is tied for most wins, is 7th in strikeouts, and has the 4th best WHIP, behind Verlander, Weaver and Peavy. Very cool stuff.

Entering today- his 2012 WHIP is #18 all time (between 1971 #17 Wilbur Wood and #19 1905 Doc White) for a White Sox starting pitcher- #7 from 1918-2012. Peavy's 2012 WHIP is #1 in that time period (Horlen 1964, 1967; Fisher- 1965, Peters-1966, Wood 1971)

LITTLE NELL
06-03-2012, 05:39 PM
If Cleveland loses, the Sox would have a 2.5 game lead. Would that be their biggest lead since 2008? I don't recall them ever breaking it that far open in their short 1st place stays in 2009 and 2010.

We had a 3.5 game lead on July 20, 2010.

TDog
06-03-2012, 05:46 PM

Lip

Excuse me if I missed implied teal, but Milwood was in trouble every inning -- 13 baserunners in 4 innings. Even if you take out the intenional walk, he still allowed 12 baserunners in 4 innings and needed more than 90 pitches to do it. It is rare that you see a major league pitcher have such a rough day and only give up 4 runs. I would much rather have Floyd starting than Milwood.

Really, this was the way the White Sox won earlier in the season, when they won. Like the last win in Stl. Petersburg, the Sox squandered many chances, keeping the game close. That, though, was mostly a bullpen game.

I think this was a great win because Sale did exactly what he needed to do. If Reed hadn't pitched into a second inning Saturday, he wouldn't have been asked to pitch a complete game. But he pitched great, enough so that that was pretty much all the Sox needed.

Not that I am complaining about the offense today. One-third of this Sunday starting lineup has played little this season. But I was disappointed the Sox didn't score more runs off Milwood.

LITTLE NELL
06-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Tribe lose, 2.5 game lead for our Sox!!!

johnnyg83
06-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Love the red unis.

3-2 on Sundays at home

CoopaLoop
06-03-2012, 06:08 PM
2.5 game lead on June 3rd. :gulp:

DickAllen72
06-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Great performance by Sale - just what the doctor ordered and what the White Sox needed.

Who knew Escobar could play so well in the outfield?

chisoxfanatic
06-03-2012, 06:59 PM
I can't believe the Toons lost! This could be a nice time to build a decent divisional lead with interleague play coming up.

I am sold on Sale.

Soxman219
06-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Keep this **** up! I never want to see .500 again. Let's run away with this thing!

cws05champ
06-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Remember that time when Chris Sale was named closer a month ago?
That was awesome!!
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/gallery/100921/GAL-10Sep21-5792/media/PHO-10Sep21-253350.jpg

balke
06-03-2012, 07:44 PM

Might even have a Danks sighting by that time.

doublem23
06-03-2012, 07:51 PM
http://a.abcnews.com/images/WNT/abc_wn_webcast_football_070924_mn.jpg
CHRIS SALE IS A MAN

Truth

Chez
06-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Beautiful day at the ballpark today. Disappointed more fans didn't attend.

GoGoCrede
06-03-2012, 08:43 PM

Work. :(:

guillensdisciple
06-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Awesome to see us gain another game on the Indians. I am very happy to see us doing this well June 3rd. Feels like it has been a long time since I have gotten to enjoy first place for a while. I hope it remains this way.

JB98
06-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Nice afternoon at the ballpark. We weren't optimistic when we got up this morning and heard on the radio that the entire bench was in the starting lineup. But you don't need many runs when you get a pitching performance like that. It was an ace effort from Sale on a day the Sox needed it.

Millwood was absolutely dreadful today. The Sox should have scored more runs, and probably would have if the A lineup had been in there today. They did score four, and sometimes four needs to be enough. Thanks to Sale, it was.

BigKlu59
06-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Another gem by Chris "Cy" Sale..As has been stated, could have plated a few more off of Millwood, but a W is a W. Time to run the table on this homestand and put some ground between us and the pack..

BK59

Lamp81
06-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Took the family in for our 1st game of the year. A little dissapointed we weren't going to see AJ, PK, and De Aza (seriously De Aza is one of my guys!).

I was worried after that Olivo missle to center, but they day turned out great, and we got to see a White Sox winner! Helmet nachos with Beef Barbacoa, were fantastic!

Zakath
06-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Tribe lose, 2.5 game lead for our Sox!!!

Cleveland and Detroit now play each other in a 3-game set in Detroit starting Tuesday. Best result for us would be a 2-1 or 3-game sweep in favor of Detroit, while we handle Toronto.

Blue Jays aren't hitting well for average, but they're hitting for power. Only .245 as a team, but tied for 2nd in the majors with HR's at 76 with Texas and Baltimore (only the Yankees have more, at 78, and we're 5th). Bautista's actually 2nd on the team, with only 13, while Encarnacion has 18.

doublem23
06-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Took the family in for our 1st game of the year. A little dissapointed we weren't going to see AJ, PK, and De Aza (seriously De Aza is one of my guys!).

I was worried after that Olivo missle to center, but they day turned out great, and we got to see a White Sox winner! Helmet nachos with Beef Barbacoa, were fantastic!

At least Robin has the good heart to sit most of his starters on the same day every week,so it shouldn't come as a surprise when you show up on a Sunday. :cool:

Glad you were able to catch a W! And helmet nachos.

PushinWeight
06-03-2012, 11:41 PM
Cleveland and Detroit now play each other in a 3-game set in Detroit starting Tuesday. Best result for us would be a 2-1 or 3-game sweep in favor of Detroit, while we handle Toronto.

Blue Jays aren't hitting well for average, but they're hitting for power. Only .245 as a team, but tied for 2nd in the majors with HR's at 76 with Texas and Baltimore (only the Yankees have more, at 78, and we're 5th). Bautista's actually 2nd on the team, with only 13, while Encarnacion has 18.

No, best result for Sox in the big picture is Indians sweep.

doublem23
06-03-2012, 11:55 PM
No, best result for Sox in the big picture is Indians sweep.

Depends on how much deep **** you think Detroit is in. Aside from Fielder and Cabrera, their lineup's not really much to write home about, and aside from Verlander, their pitching staff is teeeeeeeeeeeeerrible.

It's only 50 games so it's too early to really make any calls, but frankly, at this point, it wouldn't stun me if Cleveland ended up being the team that hung around more than Detroit.

SoxSpeed22
06-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Something about Cleveland says they will be more consistent. They just need Hafner, Cabrera and Santana to get healthy.
When a Detroit fan earlier said 'once they start clicking, they will be dangerous', I replied, 'that's what we kept saying in 2006.'

PalehosePlanet
06-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Something about Cleveland says they will be more consistent. They just need Hafner, Cabrera and Santana to get healthy.
When a Detroit fan earlier said 'once they start clicking, they will be dangerous', I replied, 'that's what we kept saying in 2006.'

Cabrera has been back for a while -- he only missed two games. Santana comes back on Tuesday.

I don't know, Cleveland's bullpen has been great, but I don't like their starting pitching. Masterson and Jimenez, their 1 & 2 have been terrible. Detroit is the opposite, terrible pen, but they still scare me more, even though they're obviously flawed.

As for us, I'd like to see us go with a six man rotation, w/Quintana as the 6th, like last year to keep everyone fresh. Especially Sale (I don't expect more than about 160 or 170 IP from him in his first year starting) and Peavy.

CoopaLoop
06-04-2012, 12:49 AM
Glad you were able to catch a W! And helmet nachos.

Last game I was at I saw Irish Nacho Helmet on the menu. Anyone know what the difference is from the one at the Tex Mex line?

doublem23
06-04-2012, 12:59 AM
Last game I was at I saw Irish Nacho Helmet on the menu. Anyone know what the difference is from the one at the Tex Mex line?

They are smaller and cheaper and come in a green helmet. They're french fries covered in melted cheese, sour cream, chives, and bacon.

DSpivack
06-04-2012, 01:19 AM
They are smaller and cheaper and come in a green helmet. They're french fries covered in melted cheese, sour cream, chives, and bacon.

Sounds like poutine.

Boondock Saint
06-04-2012, 01:20 AM
Sounds like poutine.

Poutine is covered in cheese curds and gravy.

DSpivack
06-04-2012, 01:21 AM
Poutine is covered in cheese curds and gravy.

A distance cousin, perhaps? More like poutine than nachos, anyway.

doublem23
06-04-2012, 01:24 AM
A distance cousin, perhaps? More like poutine than nachos, anyway.

It's if poutine and nachos made a delicious, delicious baby

DSpivack
06-04-2012, 01:35 AM
It's if poutine and nachos made a delicious, delicious baby

Only in America. :drool:

gobears1987
06-04-2012, 05:30 AM

The best result will be 3 games each lasting 21 innings. :cool:

tstrike2000
06-04-2012, 08:23 AM

Brian gettin his swagger back.

tstrike2000
06-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Also, interesting to note that at about this point in 2000 (6/3/00), the Sox had the same record. However, the Sox got red-hot in June which included that amazing 7-game stretch with the sweeps of Cleveland and the Yankees, on the road. They cooled off some in the second half and played mainly .500 ball to finish the season 95-67.

That team had decent pitching, but mashers all throughout the lineup when Big Hurt should've won his third MVP. I like the pitching on this year's team much more than I did in 2000. If Danks, Humber, and Floyd can pickup the slack, the Sox could be tough to overcome down the stretch, even if the offense cools off.

AlleghenySoxFan
06-04-2012, 10:33 AM
SALE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH2efAcmBQM

Hitmen77
06-04-2012, 10:42 AM

I'd love for Danks to come back healthy and step up as our 3rd strong starter.

I was expecting bigger crowds too. But, I still maintain that it just takes a little time for the crowds to rebound since people weren't expecting much from the Sox until they started getting hot about 2 weeks ago.

I expect better crowds in the coming weeks if the team stay hot. In the meantime, Cubs fans will flaunt the attendance issue since they have nothing else to say about their lousy team.

My theory is that fans have indeed started buying tickets in response to this team's new-found success and excitement. That might mean that they're buying tickets for upcoming series, but not necessarily for the June 1-3 games.

Foulke You
06-04-2012, 03:32 PM
I'd love for Danks to come back healthy and step up as our 3rd strong starter.

I was expecting bigger crowds too. But, I still maintain that it just takes a little time for the crowds to rebound since people weren't expecting much from the Sox until they started getting hot about 2 weeks ago.

I expect better crowds in the coming weeks if the team stay hot. In the meantime, Cubs fans will flaunt the attendance issue since they have nothing else to say about their lousy team.

My theory is that fans have indeed started buying tickets in response to this team's new-found success and excitement. That might mean that they're buying tickets for upcoming series, but not necessarily for the June 1-3 games.
I agree with this assessment. Garfien hinted on Twitter that ticket sales have been picking up. They had 2000 walk up on Friday and Sunday and the advance tickets for future games have been selling at a higher pace since the hot streak. Assuming the team continues to play well, I expect the arrow to continue to point upwards especially if people pony up for the pro-rated season ticket plans to guarantee playoff seats.